Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
We need a "that's Florida" smiley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Known Lecher posted:

This is Zaurg, isn’t it. He blew another 25k on crypto (or hid these debts from BFC all along), got a roommate like some of the well-pissers were suggesting, and is moving fast with the new Zgirlfriend that he mentioned before his long probe.

He just thought knocking ten years off his age, calling it “rent” instead of a mortgage payment, and fudging which end of Florida he lives in would be enough to throw us off the trail.
I can't imagine anyone capable of saving 20k while getting a doctorate would get within 100 miles of Zaurg's trainwreck

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

lampey posted:

8 people own 50% of the world's wealth. It is absurd

The stat is "8 people are as wealthy as the bottom 50% of the world's population." This is not the same thing as what you posted.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
This year our company adjusted our benefits, mostly cutting back days off, but adding some things as well.

A few months back this came up in conversation with one of my coworkers and I mentioned that at least the company increased the 401k match from 5% to 6%.

He said that it doesn't do him any good, as he is contributing 0% to his, because he can't afford to save any money with a family of four. We have decent paying jobs in a low cost of living area; his income alone is over double the median income for the area and his spouse also works.

Naturally, he later said that he was opposed to the $15/hr minimum wage because he doesn't believe people that say they can't live of $7/hr.

He just said that he is now contributing to receive the company match. However, over the last four years he managed a double-digit negative return on his 401k, so he spent some time researching past performances on funds so that he could reallocate.

I'm sure this will all go well.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

jjack229 posted:

This year our company adjusted our benefits, mostly cutting back days off, but adding some things as well.

A few months back this came up in conversation with one of my coworkers and I mentioned that at least the company increased the 401k match from 5% to 6%.

He said that it doesn't do him any good, as he is contributing 0% to his, because he can't afford to save any money with a family of four. We have decent paying jobs in a low cost of living area; his income alone is over double the median income for the area and his spouse also works.

Naturally, he later said that he was opposed to the $15/hr minimum wage because he doesn't believe people that say they can't live of $7/hr.

He just said that he is now contributing to receive the company match. However, over the last four years he managed a double-digit negative return on his 401k, so he spent some time researching past performances on funds so that he could reallocate.

You’d really have to try to get a negative return over the last four years. Unless he went all in on some weird fund comprised of solely retail stores or something.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

jjack229 posted:

How did he manage negative returns over 3 years of very high growth and one year of 'meh'? Did he buy gold at the peak, then switch over to Bitcoin at its peak?

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 4, 2018

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

You’d really have to try to get a negative return over the last four years. Unless he went all in on some weird fund comprised of solely retail stores or something.

I see Sears and Kmart everywhere, how can I lose?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

CannonFodder posted:

How did he manage negative returns over 3 years of very high growth and one year of 'meh'? Did he buy gold at the peak, then switch over to Bitcoin at its peak?

I was wondering the same thing, I'm not sure what funds we even have available in our 401k since I just use a target retirement index fund. I tried to steer him toward the same, but he wanted to pick his own mix so that he could make up lost ground.

Also, we are engineers

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

:thermidor:

Everyone who isn't subsistence farming.

Pol Pot alt spotted.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

jjack229 posted:

I was wondering the same thing, I'm not sure what funds we even have available in our 401k since I just use a target retirement index fund. I tried to steer him toward the same, but he wanted to pick his own mix so that he could make up lost ground.

Also, we are engineers

It would have to be a self directed 401k unless there was like a gold/oil fund.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
My 401k let's me invest in any tradable security if I want. I imagine plenty are the same. If your plan is worth a drat it is a stupid option because there will be good funds available but you can do it nonetheless.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Isn't there some assways method to invest your 401k in bitcoin now?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Splicer posted:

Isn't there some assways method to invest your 401k in bitcoin now?

You can buy the Bitcoin trust over the counter if your 401k allows it (GBTC)

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I understand the first tariffs are being implemented today in the trade war. Are there any BWM stories in the rush to buy before the tarrifs? I'm also interested in hearing what happens with prices for goods.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Devian666 posted:

I understand the first tariffs are being implemented today in the trade war. Are there any BWM stories in the rush to buy before the tarrifs? I'm also interested in hearing what happens with prices for goods.

The retaliatory tariffs are on middle America goods, so them voting for Trump was BWM.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Raere posted:

The retaliatory tariffs are on middle America goods, so them voting for Trump was BWM.

That was a given when Trump gave tax cuts for the rich. I'm pretty sure China will immediately add soy bean tariffs. So there are going to be a lot of farmers that voted for Trump that are BWM as well.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The blue crab fishermen in Maryland already got a taste of Trump this Spring when his immigration policies devastated half their work force.

Everything Trump touches dies.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Hahahahaha good. Serves them right. Please post any tears you see.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Devian666 posted:

Legit considered pulling ahead a vehicle purchase we are considering as estimates are they'll jump around $5K soon.

Think I'll just wait even longer than our original timeline for this poo poo to pass.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

Legit considered pulling ahead a vehicle purchase we are considering as estimates are they'll jump around $5K soon.

Think I'll just wait even longer than our original timeline for this poo poo to pass.

It's too difficult to know how this will play out or if various countries will back down after retaliation. If prices hit a new level people may just have to suck it up, especially when their truck with all the optional extras ends up costing an extra $15k.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Devian666 posted:

It's too difficult to know how this will play out or if various countries will back down after retaliation. If prices hit a new level people may just have to suck it up, especially when their truck with all the optional extras ends up costing an extra $15k.
So you're saying Ford Raptor BWM stories might get even funnier?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I know I'm late on ice cream chat, but ben and Jerry's is crap. Jeni's ice cream is one of the greatest things I've ever tasted.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Wolfy posted:

So you're saying Ford Raptor BWM stories might get even funnier?

I think so, and I can only see underwater truck loans going from 7 years to 10 years.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
None of this is meant to continue for any length of time. If car prices go up 10% there will be a backlash. Trump expected China to give in and because he has no idea what he’s doing, China knows this and will try to wait him out. Their leaders aren’t up for re-election.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

I know I'm late on ice cream chat, but ben and Jerry's is crap. Jeni's ice cream is one of the greatest things I've ever tasted.

they got bought out by unilever

one thing happens to unilever brand products and one thing only: they get fuckin squeezed to death

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bob dobbs is dead posted:

one thing happens to unilever brand products and one thing only: they get fuckin squeezed to death

Ben and Jerry's or Jeni's? :ohdear: I know Unilever owns B&J but I haven't heard about Jeni's beyond some PE group or something.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ben & Jerry’s has done alright. They negotiated a special deal though with a separate board of directors and more independence.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Krispy Wafer posted:

The blue crab fishermen in Maryland already got a taste of Trump this Spring when his immigration policies devastated half their work force.

Everything Trump touches dies.

Just lol at how mad progressives get when they have to pay minimum wage instead of hiring illegal immigrants.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is it wrong that I now want to plan next summer vacation to be Maryland? Because crabbing sucked 3-4 years ago when I did that there so I swapped out to "generic jersey shore" that is closer. (this is a super big extended family vacation......not a real vacation....it's for the kids, but if I can get some fishing in all the better)

Krispy Wafer posted:

Trump expected China to give in and because he has no idea what he’s doing, China knows this and will try to wait him out. Their leaders aren’t up for re-election.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Just lol at how mad progressives get when they have to pay minimum wage instead of hiring illegal immigrants.
The issue isn't the pay, its finding people. This is long documented. The white invaders are lazy as gently caress.

Highlighted once again, for the 4th month running, by the private wage data per ADP...

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Maybe food prices should go up to pay people a decent wage and force wage increases across the board while also making Bad With Earth farming and fishing practices prohibitively expensive to balance out climate change.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SiGmA_X posted:

The issue isn't the pay, its finding people. This is long documented. The white invaders are lazy as gently caress.

Highlighted once again, for the 4th month running, by the private wage data per ADP...

if you pay $100/hour, you can find people
they're afraid of doing that because wages basically never go down

:getin:

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

I see. So wages are basically the opposite of your mom?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
$1000 custom order, still hasn't been delivered after 7 months. Hoping to do a chargeback (self.personalfinance)
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8wbxyn/1000_custom_order_still_hasnt_been_delivered/

quote:

I made a $1,000 custom lightsaber order (don't judge lol) in December. The merchant listed on their site a lead time of 12-16 weeks. At 18 weeks still hadn't received the item. When I emailed them, they said there was an issue with their manufacturer but they were working on it. I waited until July (30weeks now) and then emailed them again.

They said they are further delaying the sabers because they are starting “generation 2” hilts and are changing all the orders to “gen 2” to facilitate work they are doing with another company.

I asked them how long it would take and they were unable to give me an estimate.

At this point I requested an order cancellation and refund but they said it was against their policy. They claimed it was a custom order and all estimates were subject to change.

This is what their website said:

Lead Time: 12-16 Weeks\)

^(\ Lead times are estimates and vary based on availability and order volume. Products are made in batches of similar variants, and may not be produced in the exact order that they were purchased.)*

I think I have two arguments to make: 1) taking twice as long as estimated with no end in sight and 2) change of the item without my consent (from gen 1 to gen2)

I'm probably going to have to do a credit card chargeback. Anybody have advice on how to proceed? (I did call my cc company and they said as a custom order I can wait longer than 2 months)
Oh boy!

I mean, you're not exactly wrong, but economics say that might not work out all the time. No, I'm not going to google up a study.

brunch with yr parents posted:

I see. So wages are basically the opposite of your mom?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Are crab fishermen in Maryland some untapped bastion of liberalism I haven’t heard about? Tough immigration policies hit like every part of the agricultural sector in the US, and agriculture is typically Republican.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SiGmA_X posted:

Gee why don't people want to destroy their bodies making someone else rich, proles must be lazy

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Motronic posted:

Is it wrong that I now want to plan next summer vacation to be Maryland? Because crabbing sucked 3-4 years ago when I did that there so I swapped out to "generic jersey shore" that is closer. (this is a super big extended family vacation......not a real vacation....it's for the kids, but if I can get some fishing in all the better)

Wait people go crabbing for fun?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Devian666 posted:

I'm pretty sure China will immediately add soy bean tariffs.

My understanding is that the soybean tarrif goes into effect today.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FrozenVent posted:

Wait people go crabbing for fun?
A lot of stuff is fun to do as entertainment but not as a job. See also that discussion where getting free room and board while goofing around on a farm for a few hours a day was somehow declared BWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

MisterOblivious posted:

My understanding is that the soybean tarrif goes into effect today.

Great, so my grandfathers extended family can go bankrupt.