Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

GoldStandardConure posted:

move to australia, scatter some seed in your front yard, and just wait...

There were three galahs mangling a street light on my walk home through Fruitgrove yesterday. They looked very guilty when they saw me looking but soon realised I couldn't do anything about it and got back to business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MLnwrw1Kpc

He's in one of those moods again.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Birb loves magic tricks.

https://i.imgur.com/RIOeAlx.gifv

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Ahhhh :kimchi:

I love the Alex version of this. It's such a cockatiel reaction

https://twitter.com/AlexTheHonk/status/1014261195069534208

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So out of 3 fertilized eggs, only 1 of them hatched. One egg never got very far along before it was apparent it was not viable; the other was far enough along that I did a sort-of autopsy to determine that the bird never fully formed. Very sad, but the hatching process does cull birds that can't survive on their own and will likely have poor quality of life if you do too much to help them along. I've had to euthanize injured baby birds before, from a nest accidentally destroyed during roofing work. I'd rather not do it again.

A lone chick is an unhappy chick, so on Independence Day I got up way too early to buy a couple Easter Egger pullets. Deimos accepted them almost immediately, but a few hours later she changed her mind for whatever reason. Deimos has been returned to the coop and the three chicks have all accepted the heater as their new mother. I wanted to name them for moons of Neptune (actual mother) and Uranus (our current Easter Egger), but we settled on June, Cricket, and Dozer for reasons I won't get into.

We took June outside to introduce her to the chickens. They don't care and were a lot more interested in the leftover rice I threw on the ground. Her actual mother, Neptune, does not recognize her or care at all. Neptune has more important things to do, like constantly escaping from the run and loving up our cabbage patch.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
On today's installment of Tito Thursday...

"whatchoo doing?"

"pull my hair (feathers)"

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Cockatiel boys always just make me smile :3: Handsome little derp

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
THAT CREST!

Depending on Serra's ratty tail feathers that haven't molted yet, I've had some people say she could be a show bird. Has anyone here done that before? I'm curious.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Here's the video of it.

Birb starts running around screaming how freaked it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgRUFS5WhDQ

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Poor birb.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Crouton got taken back to the vet today as she's been mangling her collar a bit, as is expected. The collar is made of hard plastic surrounded by Elastoplast bandages. The Elastoplast is there to hold the collar shut, stop hard plastic edges coming into direct contact with soft delicate birb, and give birb something to mangle that isn't the plastic that's keeping them from chewing body parts that shouldn't be chewn.

Luckily collar de-mangling is free of charge because it's like 30 seconds of labour and 2 inches of Elastoplast in costs. Dr Adrian heartily recommends bringing her back in after the weekend when she mangles it some more :v:

Thankfully her wound is healing quite well, which along with the biopsy indicates that it probably is pain and not some kind of horrific infection, tumour, etc... We still don't know what exactly it is but it's not cancer or flesh eating bacteria or anything!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Crouton got taken back to the vet today as she's been mangling her collar a bit, as is expected. The collar is made of hard plastic surrounded by Elastoplast bandages. The Elastoplast is there to hold the collar shut, stop hard plastic edges coming into direct contact with soft delicate birb, and give birb something to mangle that isn't the plastic that's keeping them from chewing body parts that shouldn't be chewn.

Luckily collar de-mangling is free of charge because it's like 30 seconds of labour and 2 inches of Elastoplast in costs. Dr Adrian heartily recommends bringing her back in after the weekend when she mangles it some more :v:

Thankfully her wound is healing quite well, which along with the biopsy indicates that it probably is pain and not some kind of horrific infection, tumour, etc... We still don't know what exactly it is but it's not cancer or flesh eating bacteria or anything!

YAY!!! Good job Crouton :)

Doing birb things (destruction) AND not having cancer/flesh eating icky stuff etc :) You deserve many many gumnuts for being a Goode Birb.

Crow? Please give her a skritch for me please :)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Man, I wanna meet these birbs!

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I swear I wasn't gonna steal their millet!

e: bonus Bandit

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 7, 2018

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Shark Sandwich posted:

yum yum eat the corm

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One for the finch crazies.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Shark Sandwich posted:

Top birbing

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Right click -> show controls -> unmute

https://i.imgur.com/mvOwyqX.mp4

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 9, 2018

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I had to take a mandatory trip away and I ended up next to an Ostrich farm.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Where are Steve & friends? I miss those goofs.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://i.imgur.com/IiLhZJ4.mp4

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
West Side Story: Conure Edition

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Who's that there in the parrot palace?

It's Gandalf! Everyone wave (with the correct hand, it's not acceptable to wave if it's not the same one he's holding up)

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/7WUq4kS.mp4

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Wow, that's a neat aviary - like a screen door dividing off the corner of a room. Did you make it yourself?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm visiting my sister's place in Canada. One of the other people she lives with built it.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Max goes outside in a pet stroller (starting at 4:54). How do you think he reacts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kzN_JnYvxc

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
This is what a computer mouse sees before its scroll wheel is ripped off.

Thanks, doofus!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm digging turning a corner of a room into an aviary. I think I'm gonna do that when I stop renting.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I buried Dozer last night. She was always lethargic, and last night we found that she had just gone limp, and she wouldn't take food or water. That's just the way it is with chicks, but it still sucks.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Sorry to hear that Jack. Even when it's normal it's always hard.

I got home from a month away last night. Mochi spent about ten minutes posturing and puffing up and hissing and biting the everloving poo poo out of me, but is back to getting scritches and coming for kisses. Birds.

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011
Poor Dozer. My heart goes out to you, Jack, it's always so sad to lose chicks. :(

In baby conure news, the last two visits have been great and frustrating all at once. He's down to just one hand feeding and may be ready to come home as soon as next week. He's developing a really independent streak at the shop, enough so that the girls there check in with me and ask if he's abandoned me again. He's mostly interested in other birds and the play gyms right now. It makes sense - I'm just the weirdo that shows up once a week to feed him millet and safflower. I really hope that he'll bond well when we get him home.

The last couple visits have been super bitey, but I tell myself he's 1. A conure and 2. A baby. This poo poo happens.

I feel like I'm getting some strange messages from one of the store owners. They seem to take really good care of the birds, they're all happy and well socialized, but there have been a couple things I wanted to ask about here.

Probiotics. The owner of the shop says they're absolutely necessary and should be given in water at the beginning of every season for ten days, followed by ten days of apple cider vinegar to help with any bacterial buildup in his crop. This is the kind of thing that would immediately turn on my bullshit radar for people. Have you bird crazies ever heard about this?

BEING THE ALPHA. The way she talks about dominating the bird reminds me of fuckin' Cesar Milan. "Don't let him go anywhere unless you put him there. If he climbs to your shoulder, take him right back down or you'll only ever have a shoulder bird. Never let him on top of his cage. Go ahead and pet him even if he doesn't like it; you're the boss and he has to learn to like snuggles." Is it really necessary to micromanage him and force affection on him like that? It sounds to me more like a great way to start fights, lose his trust, and build resentment for me, but I might be anthropomorphizing too much.

Is this lady batshit or am I just a bleeding heart going to get walked all over by a bird?

eta pictures to make up for :words:

Spare-Ohs fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 10, 2018

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Spare-Ohs posted:

Probiotics. The owner of the shop says they're absolutely necessary and should be given in water at the beginning of every season for ten days, followed by ten days of apple cider vinegar to help with any bacterial buildup in his crop. This is the kind of thing that would immediately turn on my bullshit radar for people. Have you bird crazies ever heard about this?

BEING THE ALPHA. The way she talks about dominating the bird reminds me of fuckin' Cesar Milan. "Don't let him go anywhere unless you put him there. If he climbs to your shoulder, take him right back down or you'll only ever have a shoulder bird. Never let him on top of his cage. Go ahead and pet him even if he doesn't like it; you're the boss and he has to learn to like snuggles." Is it really necessary to micromanage him and force affection on him like that? It sounds to me more like a great way to start fights, lose his trust, and build resentment for me, but I might be anthropomorphizing too much.

Is this lady batshit or am I just a bleeding heart going to get walked all over by a bird?
Probiotics: this is mildly true but also verging into crazy territory. Doesn't need to be done that militantly sure but it doesn't hurt to put a few drops of apple cider vinegar in their water once in a while. That said, it's really not necessary for an already healthy bird that is eating a healthy diet.

Being the Alpha: ehhhhhh it really depends on the bird for the first part. If it's a very willful bird then this is good advice--if it's a shy bird that doesn't do a lot of exploring already it's bad advice. My Amazon is fairly shy and mostly a perch potato (but has been getting steadily more active over the past few years!), so I regularly try to encourage her to explore and run around a bit.

As for petting him even if he doesn't like it? Ehhhh, I'd be careful about that. It's ok to push/bend birdy's boundaries a little bit so they get used to being touched, but I think it's a pretty bad idea to force the issue at all. Let the bird figure out what they are comfortable with and work from there, don't try to force it. However things like "Step up!" and other things you need for the safety of the bird are different, and you do need to train the bird to obey that stuff immediately regardless of the mood they are in.

tl;dr: don't be a doormat, but also don't rule with an iron fist. This is a tiny perma-toddler and you need to adjust your strategies accordingly. You cannot punish a parrot with negative reinforcement. When he misbehaves, put him on the floor for 30 seconds or so (or on another safe, neutral location he doesn't want to be). When he's good, shower him with praise and treats. You can only reinforce good behavior. Make bad behavior result in unfun or boredom, not punishment.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 10, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, I don't think you can make a parrot like things by forcing it on them. That part is odd.

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011

Kenshin posted:

This is a tiny perma-toddler and you need to adjust your strategies accordingly.

Thanks so much for your input. This aspect is what made me question everything the most. With an actual toddler I'd definitely pick my battles.

He seems very willful now, but we'll see how he adjusts to the new environment.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Also, new post instead of an edit so you see it:

"Never let him on top of his cage" gently caress that poo poo. That's ridiculous advice. I know where it comes from: don't let the bird develop cage aggression. But that is a truly silly piece of advice. There's a reason so many parrot cages have perches and toys on top. The birds like being up there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That part was also very weird.

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011
I'm honestly relieved that I'm not the only one getting weird vibes from that whole thing. They were pushing me really hard on purchasing a play stand instead of a built-in play top, but I didn't want to think it was just to upsell me. :sigh:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just going to quote this.
'too: Hello?
'tiel: NO!
'too: oh......... sorry to bother you......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kenshin posted:

. When he's good, shower him with praise and treats. You can only reinforce good behavior. Make bad behavior result in unfun or boredom, not punishment.

This is super good advice. You have to do it immediately as well else they will associate something they do immediately after as the bad thing when it's not.

For example, if a bird is eating from a bowl, then randomly knibbles on a the wall , and then straight back to eating from the bowl. There's now way to punish that. You want the bird to eat from the bowl or give it conniptions about that bowl.

You need to pick a moment when they are just doing that action.

Birds hate unfun. You'll see the cogs steaming, eventually, when they are about to do something that you have been correcting and figuring if it's worth it.

Putting them into the cage should never be a place to unfun them. If you just did then you just associated "chew on curtains = bed time"