Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
My God, the latest ATV is bad. Chris and Sandi seem to be completely out of touch and have zero enthusiasm.

I wonder if the lawsuit has anything to do with it.

e:

no_recall fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Scruffpuff posted:

"UHHH, when uh, when, ok so there are times you're going to be SHOOTING SOMETHING or maybe SOMEONE and there's a firearm with bullets in it, maybe they're SPECIAL ROUNDS like against different ELEMENTAL TYPES it's very important, uhh, uhh, UMMMM, it's, uhh, with the FIREARM and there's the time, the time, uhhh, UUUUUUUHHHHHH, erm, pulling on maybe the TRIGGER, so when that happens what's happening is that the bullets are designed, they're designed, they're designed to go, to go out the barrel, and out the BARREL, and when they do you know it's because they're going PRETTY FAST and with that speed uhh the, uhh, when you SHOOT the gun also fires, the BULLET IS FIRING but a lot of people don't understand that the GUN IS ALSO FIRING so when you shoot a gun you're also SHOOTING A GUN AT YOURSELF so hopefully that makes sense, hopefully that'll be in the game, it should be pretty cool..."

:ck5:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah what is that thing? Its probably illegal as gently caress in CA but it looks badass.

It's probably a SAIGA-12.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Hobold posted:

An AK style rifle, that fires shotgun shells. That is soo beautiful. I want one.

Saiga-12, VEPR, or Molot-12 all do it.

They are exactly as much fun as you imagine. It will cycle shells semi auto so fast people at the range ask if it's burst fire.

EDIT:

Sandweed posted:

It's probably a SAIGA-12.
It has a magwell which the Saiga does not have normally, but it can be added. In fact the Saiga can be modded so much I can't really tell which it is from that gif.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 6, 2018

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

G0RF posted:

MMORPG: Is Crowdfunding Bad?

quote:

Star Citizen has reportedly had issues with integrating their first-person combat engine with their flight sim engine. Despite the Squadron 42 component to the game being “nearly finished” two years ago, it’s still missing and there are serious questions about integration problems that industry veterans might have asked. Questions that were not asked by the crowd.

Complete article at link above.

Clearly industry veterans don't understand game development.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

radd posted:

Complete article at link above.

Clearly industry veterans don't understand game development.

Fools and pretenders all!!!
:argh:

ZenMaster posted:

Awesome G0rf, just great
:tipshat:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Thanks for the silly GFX card chat earlier. In the middle of having decide on one, so it helps.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
G0rf, the one minute commentary free video is like a single shot of espresso amidst the fog of a tequila hangover.

Great stuff. Please please do more.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

I desperately need to pet this catte :3: :3: :3:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Xaerael posted:

I make costume stuff, mainly for Cosplay. Personal projects like that one are few and far between these days though, but I occasionally start projects I never finish.

More than anything, though, I really love sculpting.

:hellyeah:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

necroid
May 14, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The gases escaping the barrel of the firearm are the "cause" of your recoil. More specifically its the detonation of the primer being struck by a firing pin which ignites the power mixture in the cartridge which propels the bullet out of the barrel.

You "climb" because the recoil forces the muzzle upwards (due to how you are holding it). Imagine standing perfectly still and someone punches you in the shoulder while facing you. Your shoulder will recoil backwards and rotate slightly. The same principle applies to shooting, where the muzzle will climb and move to the side slightly based on which side you are shouldering/holding the weapon. This all goes out the door if a muzzle brake or compensator is designed specifically to force gas out a specific direction.

Ironically, the muzzle break featured here is cut at the top, meaning the escaping gases push the barrel downwards, minimizing the upward climb.

Recoil, main spring, and bolt carrier group in action

Depending on your grip, a gun won't climb all the time.

An example of a shotgun's recoil, and how it climbs

An extreme example of recoil and how it affects your grip/stance

Even flamethrowers experience recoil. Equal and opposite reaction :eng101:

An example of a semi-auto rifle vs a Recoilless rifle. There's a reason its called "recoilless"

as a european this is all very fascinating and frightening at the same time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CrazyLoon posted:

Thanks for the silly GFX card chat earlier. In the middle of having decide on one, so it helps.
Did we talk about how nvidia lied about their upcoming cards and it's probably best to wait til q3?

Also the current series is two years old so it's pretty loving funny seeing the one guy talk about how you need to be on the CUTTING EDGE

with your two year old tech

hella star citizen heh

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Clearly, only the crème de la crème will do for me because faaaaaaart.

Like, do they plan on releasing something mid-range at all or is there any reason not to just grab a nice 1050Ti or such, since that seems to be perfectly sufficient unless you're into 4k or VR and poo poo?

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 6, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

SomethingJones posted:

G0rf, the one minute commentary free video is like a single shot of espresso amidst the fog of a tequila hangover.

Great stuff. Please please do more.

I’m definitely going to, SJ - in part because it’s fun but also as a resource for others who are engaging in the ongoing debates elsewhere.

I can’t even count the number of times I’ve linked to the same clips from the same videos over and over again on /sc. And in the flow of a subreddit discussion, it helps to illustrate. But the futility of that ritual has long been obvious to me — across a few different alts stretching back to the “Where is Star Marine?” era.

I’m glad I stuck it out through E3, even while editing/learning/preparing to walk away. But I’m gladder still to be shifting focus. I don’t even care if it has marginal impact — that will still be a step up!

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

]https://giant.gfycat.com/BelatedColorlessArachnid.webm[

Is this a metaphor for the entire thing ?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

CrazyLoon posted:

Clearly, only the crème de la crème will do for me because faaaaaaart.

Like, do they plan on releasing something mid-range at all or is there any reason not to just grab a nice 1050Ti or such, since that seems to be perfectly sufficient unless you're into 4k or VR and poo poo?

Yeah p much... outside vr or 4k or running webm citizen gifs embedded in something awful posts a 1050ti is legit. The new card coming out is 1180 and it will be a year before there are 1150/60/70/ti versions readily available for ridiculous prices

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
also, while looking this poo poo up :laffo: at that dude who was like '1080ti is 30% better than 980ti, scrub!'

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/nvidia-turing-release-date-2952823

quote:

According to these specs, the 1180 will have 3584 CUDA cores (a 40% increase over the GTX 1080), 224 TMUs (another 40% increase) and 16GB of GDDR6 RAM (a 100% increase).

Welp, time to break out the piggybank again, cuz 1080Ti will be trash in 2 months time! Tho yea, at least you get something for paying 700-800 bucks every 2 or 3 years, unlike SC where you still only get a broken tech demo for paying 30-40k bucks over 5-6 years.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Aiyyaaaaaaaaa!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

CrazyLoon posted:

also, while looking this poo poo up :laffo: at that dude who was like '1080ti is 30% better than 980ti, scrub!'

Welp, time to break out the piggybank again, cuz 1080Ti will be trash in 2 months time! Tho yea, at least you get something for paying 700-800 bucks every 2 or 3 years, unlike SC where you still only get a broken tech demo for paying 30-40k bucks over 5-6 years.

https://www.pcgamer.com/gtx-1180-release-date/

quote:

More likely is that Turing will be a similar rollout to Pascal. The first GTX 1180 cards will launch this year, but they won't be the full-fat version of Turing. Instead, we'll get GPUs that look a lot like the current GP102, meaning up to 3840 CUDA cores, only with improved efficiency and features and slightly higher clockspeeds. Then in another 9-12 months, we'll get Big Turing and GTX 1180 Ti, with more cores, more memory, and more performance.

In the enthusiast range, its always been better to wait for the XX80Ti. But my i7 6850K, 1080Ti and 32GB DDR4 can max out any game on market right now in 4K/60fps. The big jump in hardware requirements wont happen until the next gen consoles launch in 2-3 years. I'll probably just hold onto what I have for now and build a whole new rig at that point. The only major hardware purchase I'm tempted to make in the mean time, is one of the newer QLED monitors from Samsung.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

CrazyLoon posted:

The 1080 and 1080Ti are completely different GPUs. The 1080Ti, Titan X, and Titan Xp are GP102 and the 1080 is GP104. The TI is literally a Titan X with 11GB of VRAM instead of the Titan's 12GB but it has a slightly higher memory bandwidth and clock speed. It also has 3584 CUDA cores and 224 TMUs and is already about 35% faster than the 1080. So, if their source is correct the 1180 will give you an extra 5GB of VRAM and about a 5% performance increase over the 1080Ti.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Scruffpuff posted:

This one is my favorite.

The pictures in the background means the game is real and this is a valid IP like Star Wars.

Cargo cult

lol

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

G0RF posted:

:lol:

I’ve tried to cut back, though, especially on Reddit.

Matilda hurt my feelings and told me I’d never reach anybody with my “sugar turd” posts anyway. Which, after a few years across a few alts, proved basically true. So now I’m just another person making Youtube videos about Star Citizen.

On that note, I just uploaded a simple one, and it’s free of editorial entirely. (Save for the closed captioning.)

YOUTUBE: A One Minute History of Squadron 42

Great job GORF. I like how you let Chris speak for himself this time. I think that's the central point in the SC meta game. If you just give it a little time, CIG will always just bury itself in its own lies, greed and incompetence.

Also, that ATV was terrible. "Look you can shoot a laser at some rocks with a $150 space ship and earn some worthless funbucks!" They really are just going through the motions now. They've also gone straight back to hyping 3.3 and 3.4 as God patches, even though Chris all but confirmed in is his sweaty RtV performance that any worthwhile content will be delayed until they can figure out OCS and all of the performance issues.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

no_recall posted:

My God, the latest ATV is bad. Chris and Sandi seem to be completely out of touch and have zero enthusiasm.

Salty Citizen comments are the best comments.

My god, I'm reading Youtube comments now. I have to rethink my life.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

no_recall posted:

I wonder if the lawsuit has anything to do with it.
Either that or their dealer is on holiday.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Step 1: Promise so much over so long and through different mediums that nobody can keep track of your commitments.

Step 2: Obfuscate and drag out every bit of work you pretend to do, so that nobody knows exactly what you're doing or how long it will take.

Step 3: Star Citizen Commercial release 2016

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CrazyLoon posted:

Mid-range is totally fine yeah, but also they kinda played it like demand wasn't slipping so stuff might actually go under MSRP soon! *gasp*

Might save you like fifty bucks or let you get a 1060 with 6 gb which might be relevant or who knows? I kinda wish my 960 was a lil faster for some stuff but it was just a patch to hold me over

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

G0RF posted:

:lol:

I’ve tried to cut back, though, especially on Reddit.

Matilda hurt my feelings and told me I’d never reach anybody with my “sugar turd” posts anyway. Which, after a few years across a few alts, proved basically true. So now I’m just another person making Youtube videos about Star Citizen.

On that note, I just uploaded a simple one, and it’s free of editorial entirely. (Save for the closed captioning.)

YOUTUBE: A One Minute History of Squadron 42

the end clip is just so damning.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

necroid posted:

as a european this is all very fascinating and frightening at the same time.

Large numbers of europeans own firearms, and there are opportunities to fire machine guns and other weapons in, I believe, the Czech republic, among other locations

necroid
May 14, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Large numbers of europeans own firearms, and there are opportunities to fire machine guns and other weapons in, I believe, the Czech republic, among other locations

I know, to me it's just weird to see how familiar the average american is with guns and how easy it is to have access to them. I wouldn't feel safe with the same level of gun-related freedom over here.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

necroid posted:

I know, to me it's just weird to see how familiar the average american is with guns and how easy it is to have access to them. I wouldn't feel safe with the same level of gun-related freedom over here.

It's a cultural thing. Other countries have guns, but non-American gunhavers are more likely to shut up about them outside of the range.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Have the LOD and NPC changes been confirmed as the reason some players claim better FPS?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

necroid posted:

As previously stated, its a cultural thing. As for the ease of access, it still requires some work to get a firearm, and there are issues with how lax Americans are with safety, which leads to negligent discharges or unsafe storage issues, or strawman purchases and so on.

If you've ever visited Canada, its not so different as to be wholly unrecognizable. We just generally talk about it less and have a few more restrictions on what someone can purchase or own.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

:3:

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

CrazyLoon posted:

Uh, yeah and? The 1080Ti was released March 10, 2017. When its March 10th 2020, let me know OK?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xaerael posted:

I make costume stuff, mainly for Cosplay. Personal projects like that one are few and far between these days though, but I occasionally start projects I never finish.

More than anything, though, I really love sculpting.

This is cool and you are super loving talented.

Have you done anything with 3D printing?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

EvilMerlin posted:

Uh, yeah and? The 1080Ti was released March 10, 2017. When its March 10th 2020, let me know OK?

And if it does turn out to be August 20th 2018, I'll let you know too. But aight, guess it's established I'm a mid-range scrub, so what do I know...

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

CrazyLoon posted:

And if it does turn out to be August 20th 2018, I'll let you know too. But aight, guess it's established I'm a mid-range scrub, so what do I know...

Are you purposely being obtuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

EvilMerlin posted:

Are you purposely being obtuse?

:ironicat: