Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, piranha pit is one of the best maps in either game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Bloop posted:

People are walking around my plaza with splatfest tees but I can't trigger the announcement.

I wonder if it has anything to do with me not collecting my snails from last 'fest until just yesterday.

Are the tees using the designs for the current Splatfest, or are they just the generic Splatfest Tee design?

If it's the latter, they're probably just from the last Splatfest.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
https://twitter.com/lazlo_nibble/status/1014642937488031744
https://twitter.com/lazlo_nibble/status/1013469305353134080

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Squid parties, what you saw, are annoying. I just try to find a new room if I run into them.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

I decided to polish off Rank X for splat zones just to have it, then I caught the bug to start playing comp again.

https://twitter.com/LogothX/status/1014652017501851648

Blasters seem... strong. and nobody expects ninja squid anymore.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Harrow posted:

So I know the whole saying about how "the one constant in all of your failures is you" and everything but I'm having a hard time believing I'm so bad at Splatoon that no team I join can ever win
There are always ways you could be playing better to help your team, but at the same time, there is always the chance that your team isn't actively trying to win.

I've had a bunch of recent turf matches where i've successfully distracted the entire other team for like 30 seconds, making sure no one goes after the rest of my team, only to eventually die and check the map to see the rest of my team inked effectively nothing in that time and just sat in the centre of the map doing poo poo all.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Almost got busted down off of A on Splat Zones due to total bullshit having just eaten a x2.5 EXP sandwich so imagine my surprise when I then busted out 7 consecutive KOs and ranked up.

That's not how this is supposed to work, right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't think I've actually seen any squid parties (or octo parties) but there are times when the rest of your team is hell-bent on doing nothing but diving directly into the meatgrinder in the middle of the map repeatedly.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I beat the main boss in Octo expansion but I still had like 4 stations to clear: :orb: and a couple bosses.

I went to the station and there was the vending machine that was like hey trade 15,000 octobucks for an item, and I had like 30 some thousand so I was like, yeah that's worth an item.

I got a loving ability chunk.

for 15,000

:catstare:

I was expecting an actual new piece of gear for that price.

Now that I've got some blue memcake bucks, is there anything else they're for, or should I just blow them all on garbage in the vendo?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

I beat the main boss in Octo expansion but I still had like 4 stations to clear: :orb: and a couple bosses.

I went to the station and there was the vending machine that was like hey trade 15,000 octobucks for an item, and I had like 30 some thousand so I was like, yeah that's worth an item.

I got a loving ability chunk.

for 15,000

:catstare:

I was expecting an actual new piece of gear for that price.

Now that I've got some blue memcake bucks, is there anything else they're for, or should I just blow them all on garbage in the vendo?

Blow them at the vending machine, and check out the lockers once you clear the last four stations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Blow them at the vending machine, and check out the lockers once you clear the last four stations.

Oh yeah, I did that. I noped pretty fast though, I wasn't really in the right headspace to even attempt that horse poo poo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

Oh yeah, I did that. I noped pretty fast though, I wasn't really in the right headspace to even attempt that horse poo poo

The only thing you really need to keep in mind is to paint the poo poo out of everywhere to keep a handle on the boss. It slows them way the hell down and makes them much easier to splat. That and once you get to phase 4 you NEED to make sure you have a decent portion of the map painted before you finish them off, or the final phase will be a LOT harder than it already is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are the blue mem token things just free pulls at the vending machine or do they give specific things? I grabbed all of them and turned them all in already but I don't know if I was just getting what I would've gotten if I'd spent CQ dollars or not.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
They seem like specific pulls, the last one get like every dang drink ticket

Trinexx
Aug 31, 2007

Ask me about time-shares at scenic Turtle Rock!

Dr Cheeto posted:

They seem like specific pulls, the last one get like every dang drink ticket

The best thing about the blue tokens....is that all of those rewards seem to be in the normal random pool of things you can get:

https://twitter.com/icenexx/status/1009269806015496193

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Pearl and Marina amiibo functionality got revealed:

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1015157755559096322

The gear they give out is basically their OE outfits.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1015158087034867712

You can take photos with them. If there's a Splatfest going on, you can take photos with them onstage.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1015158537717145601

However, they don't unlock any new music tracks in Squid Beatz. But you can use them to change the UI and sound effects.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1015159151289176066

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Those are good outfits

edit: fresh. they are fresh outfits

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Dr. Fetus posted:

You can take photos with them. If there's a Splatfest going on, you can take photos with them onstage.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1015158537717145601

That's adorable :3:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay Splatoon Thread, I need a primer on local network play using The Shoal.

Specifically;

What restrictions will I run into when creating a brand new user on, say, four Switches, and going straight to The Shoal?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the NPC doesn’t immediately kick you out at level 1 unlike all the shopkeepers so I assume you can do anything there. but i haven’t tried

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I can confirm that level 1 players can use the Shoal, I had a friend do so a few weeks ago.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Good to know so far. What about weapons? Can you just use whatever in the Shoal or will everyone be stuck with the Splattershot Jr?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Unfortunately, gear and weapons are tied to the account. So if everyone is level 1, you have nothing to work with. You might be able to get around this restriction with gear storage on amiibo.

Now if you're trying to do Salmon Run stuff, there are no restrictions other than what weapons you can use. (Nintendo has to update the list, and they're terrible about doing this.) Also you can't get Grizzco weapons no matter what you do.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I guess I may finally buy amiibo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

I guess I may finally buy amiibo

:same:

I don't think I've ever actually wanted amiibo before but Off the Hook are rad and so are those outfits

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Splatoon Amiibo are my weakness.

I'm pretty annoyed that the announced smash amiibo is basically just the Splatoon 1 amiibo in an almost identical pose.

There are so many fresh looks available!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have there been any new Splatoon amiibo between the initial three Splatoon 2 ones and Pearl/Marina? Wanna make sure I haven’t missed any.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Check out @SplatoonJP’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1015158537717145601?s=09

The top left pic is the best Perl pose/outfit ever

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Let us take pictures with two different amiibo you cowards

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

Have there been any new Splatoon amiibo between the initial three Splatoon 2 ones and Pearl/Marina? Wanna make sure I haven’t missed any.

nah

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/SuperDaStar/status/1015151962549993472

Okay, that's really loving creepy. What the gently caress, Nintendo!?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

what's the problem

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Well how else are they going to have the medallion hang that far off the torso?

It better have the same effect on boy squidkids

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

Well how else are they going to have the medallion hang that far off the torso?

It better have the same effect on boy squidkids

It doesn't do that with the boys, apparently.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
They should have learned from ffxiv's pretty princess dressup. Equality for all in the form of outlandish yet fresh outfits

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
RIP to Nintendo, died of horny

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I can't believe the perverted Splatoon 2 model team increased the character bust size in a way that is only noticeable if you rip the data and check the wireframes.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

idk, it is one of those "hmm, yes this is problematique things in a p standard way that octolings are both altern and more sexualized. is it worth being up in arms about? nah, and i don't think anyone is. it is worth a :thunk: though

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Octatonic posted:

idk, it is one of those "hmm, yes this is problematique things in a p standard way that octolings are both altern and more sexualized. is it worth being up in arms about? nah, and i don't think anyone is. it is worth a :thunk: though

It's gross to sexualize teenage characters, imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's gross to sexualize teenage characters, imho

Yeah, there really is no defending this.