Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Toyota Coaster

...of love say what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

savesthedayrocks posted:

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/1990-toyota-master-ace-surf/6617435841.html

There’s already a similar one up for 15k if someone wants it. So nice, I’m really getting tempted.

Just watch the auctions keenly and you can score one like that for $7k~ or so depending on auction. That one you linked is the perfect one though, low miles, Master Ace Surf, turbo diesel, manual transmission, 4x4, AC, Skylite roof. Finding that one would take a while. I'd just assume get the less-cool but probably much better for the money HiAce instead.

edit
loling at the KMH->MPH translation sheet tucked in the side of the speedometer, poo poo is not difficult at all to just do on the fly in your head, dang.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

savesthedayrocks posted:

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/1990-toyota-master-ace-surf/6617435841.html

There’s already a similar one up for 15k if someone wants it. So nice, I’m really getting tempted.

Feels like somebody should have spoken up and said "doesn't Master Ace sound a lot like Master Race, Toyoda-san?"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

hitze posted:

and whatever the hell this is. I think it's a Japanese car

Looks like an Autobianchi A112 Abarth to me. :italy:

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

InitialDave posted:

Thank you for solving this mystery!!

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

InitialDave posted:

I'm so loving pissed that someone beat me to this.

My stepmum had one when I was a kid and it was a seriously cool and unusual car.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

hitze posted:

I'm seeing a pattern here

It's a good pattern, not enough people understand how fun tiny cars are.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I must be broken because I want a coaster so much

Fake edit, auto correct decided that should have said disaster, not coaster.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cakesmith handyman posted:

I must be broken because I want a coaster so much

Fake edit, auto correct decided that should have said disaster, not coaster.

It's amusing when your phone/tablet/computer understands reality better than you do.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's a good pattern, not enough people understand how fun tiny cars are.
I took the Daihatsu up to Yorkshire last week, and it's hilarious how the stereotypical diesel German saloon drivers are not expecting a midget hatchback up the jacksie. Konichiwa, bitches!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

I took the Daihatsu up to Yorkshire last week, and it's hilarious how the stereotypical diesel German saloon drivers are not expecting a midget hatchback up the jacksie. Konichiwa, bitches!

I keep looking at Copens. The idea of the tiniest car on the road having a fully automatic folding roof is so good.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
THE TALE OF THE TYPE 73 JSDF

Less a story and more cautionary.

Above is a Type 73, a Mitsubishi-built light military truck used by the Japan Self-Defense Forces. Specifically, a second-generation one that started production in 1996. That puts the year at odds with what this translation sheet says. In fact, let's see what the sheet says:

Yoshi posted:

AT, Diesel, type 73 truck replica, frame 3m undercoat, 24V, mileage unverified, AC but no gas, body replaced, seat repairs, small chips in windshield, interior dirty, other dents and scratches.

:thunk:

As a 'replica' this is a perfect one. No details are missed, proportions are perfect, body is perfect, wheels, tires, equipment, interior trim and pieces, everything. They also went ahead and converted a 12v electrical system to a 24v electrical system too! Such dedication!
We figure that whoever was writing out the sheet assumed it must be a replica because it's a 1993 VIN on an obviously 1996 truck and then they rationalized it as a replica. The question is why you would do that if you lived in Japan though, if you have everything you need to make a real type 73 why not just get a real type 73? It's only 3 years in the future so why back-date a 73 on an older Pajero? It just doesn't make any sense at all.
It has to be VIN fuckery, I can't find any indication that there is even a way to turn a normal Pajero into a type 73 to such a perfect degree. Even if the sheet says 'body replaced' (lol) there just isn't a way to buy a type 73 body that we can find.
Point is, if someone were to buy this and the hosed-up VIN didn't get caught before the transaction went through there is a high chance it would be caught before it left Japan, if it made it past that then it would be stuck at port in the USA as it's a 1996.
Looks killer though.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So you're saying there's a chance

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
Nope

Bob Ross Nuke Test fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 21, 2022

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

A fey mood overtook me and I've purchased a local '97 Delica L400 SWB Hi-roof (no skylights) I4 Gas, with new spark plugs, timing belt done, rebuilt cylinder head with new valves, and new gaskets from the block up. Most importantly, the frame looks like it just rolled out of the factory five years ago, only minor surface spotting. Rear seats are missing except the two-seat portion of the mid bench, which is great for me.

I was quite pleased with the ride, found the Previa to have a much lower driving position which was alarming when combined with the RHD, and not substantially more room in the back. Decided the hassle of lifting an Estima to match an L400 was a mugs game which would waste time and money better spent on mountaineering gear.

It was only $6k, surely nothing could go wrong! :thunk:

So what! Where are the pics????

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I keep looking at Copens. The idea of the tiniest car on the road having a fully automatic folding roof is so good.
But you could have a Figaro, which looks better, or a Cappo, which is better?

I don't really see the appear of Copens. I don't think they're particularly attractive, and I don't understand why they had to go and make them FWD.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Wanna see something sell for +20k ????

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

that truck is loving dope

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Man I want of those Mt. Fuji? TRD decals

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

Oh. My. loving. God.

Actual dream car. Wow. What a stunner.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

:swoon:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That is a thing of beauty. Except that plastic straw exhaust.

Please let us know how much that goes for. A boy's gotta dream.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
That truck loving rocks.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That is insanity wonder which country it ends up in.
Wow. Every box checked.

Edit: who put those stupid TRD stickers on this unicorn?

everdave fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 9, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
One of you fucks needs to buy it, seriously. Then we'll have two.

E: Oh, auction date was yesterday. It's probably gone.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fermented Tinal posted:

One of you fucks needs to buy it, seriously. Then we'll have two.

E: Oh, auction date was yesterday. It's probably gone.

No no, the auction is on the 12th of July. It hasn't sold yet.

IF I hadn't bought a couple of AZ-1s and other assorted JDM I most certainly would bid high on it. For resale something like that would be so freaking high.

I don't like the TRD stickers on it either, and I think the dog-dish-on-black-steelies look in Japan is the equivalent to those black lone star wheels that end up on every Jeep here in the USA.
Probably would be more fetching if it were a diesel too. It's the only legal-for-US Land Cruiser pickup from Japan I've ever seen at auction. Price is going to be sky-high. Check the mileage too. I can't afford it :v:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
"Dog dish" on black is oem, that's what mine would've had originally except with holes to accomodate the manual hubs. I still have the hubcaps but not the split rims they went on, they don't fit on any other wheel aside from non-splits some a guy in Japan makes for $$$.

E: FJ75 TRDs exist, the stickers are probably correct too.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 9, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fermented Tinal posted:

"Dog dish" on black is oem, that's what mine would've had originally except with holes to accomodate the manual hubs. I still have the hubcaps but not the split rims they went on, they don't fit on any other wheel aside from non-splits some a guy in Japan makes for $$$.

I think it looks great but like, they will put that look on everything, j100s, j80s, Delicas, etc. It's ubiquitous on any restored 4x4 in Japan seemingly

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

I think it looks great but like, they will put that look on everything, j100s, j80s, Delicas, etc. It's ubiquitous on any restored 4x4 in Japan seemingly

A long time ago someone at Toyota decided that they were the perfect wheel and that they belonged on every 4x4.

I am inclined to agree but it's another $1300 for me to run them: https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/16-wheel-for-toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-fj45-fj60-70-series

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I promise you brother those are not correct decals this auction going to be wild

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

everdave posted:

I promise you brother those are not correct decals this auction going to be wild

There is a TRD trim level for them, that's all I could really find without doing deeper searches.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

There is a TRD trim level for them, that's all I could really find without doing deeper searches.

Listen we are just weirdos talking about cars on the internet but that’s def a post late 90s sticker. 30 seconds I can’t find a fj45 with ANY stickers. I’m no telling claiming dominance I’m just like I think one thing lol

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

everdave posted:

Listen we are just weirdos talking about cars on the internet but that’s def a post late 90s sticker. 30 seconds I can’t find a fj45 with ANY stickers. I’m no telling claiming dominance I’m just like I think one thing lol

Yeah Toyo dorks are slinging those stickers on 3rd gen 4runners because they didn’t come stock. I don’t think that trim level started until early aughts.

Also those stickers are beautiful as are fine on any Toyota truck in my book.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I wouldn't be caught dead running them on my FJ45.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
That truck is probably going to sell for $12k before the import costs, holy poo poo.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

That truck is probably going to sell for $12k before the import costs, holy poo poo.

I’m gonna call 1.5 million yen conservative I promise you there are multiple resellers salivating over this. Done up right this could be $40k on BAT

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Some fucknugget brotruck dealer is gonna lift and ls or cummins swap it. :smith:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Yoshi translating the sheet posted:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-2KUZf8PWGsfnJZX.htm -6024- 5MT, no AC, aftermarket navi/tv, aftermarket shocks, lifted, hitch member, aftermarket HID headlights, snorkel, former fire truck, rear side member paint waves, rear cross member replaced, engine oil leaks, dashboard screw holes, seats dirty, fender mirrors, cargo area modified, aftermarket wheels, other dents scratches paint waves, spare missing

Not nearly a gem as I thought, and it being a fire truck makes perfect sense. No AC (boooo) and a leaky engine. I now see that it's a grade R which I didn't notice before. I'm guessing Beatweaver is close right and it will go for around $13k at auction. Or, more likely, it will not sell at auction and the final bidding price will be around 13k. Upside is that it isn't at a USS house so prices should be lower.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I saw it was R and still call 1.5 and I would not be surprised 2 million. Watch let’s see when it rings. I guarantee multiple big buyers watching this right now. Too much money to be made. Not a game I can play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Yes, someone is going to bro truck that thing and it’ll break our collective hearts.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I wouldn't be caught dead running them on my FJ45.

Yeah except the classics dude. I’m not a total philistine. I’m not opposed to seeing them on late-80s/90s trucks and beyond if they look cool enough. Probably FJ80 and beyond is sort of what I picture.

Having said that, I worked w a girl whose husband vetoed a well-valued purchase of a tundra w all the TRD accessories because it didn’t have the TRD sticker on the side. The Worst Person.

Also your truck is awesome don’t ever change.