Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

lol go figure. well that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

NOLF hasn't aged well, being released in a post Half Life world where people hadn't figured out how to balance shooting and storytelling, but it's characters and world building are still leagues ahead of every other FPS even now. And it sucks there will never be another one when people have learned how to make singleplayer FPS games fun again. Contract JACK ditched everything and made it a straight shooter but that game is baaaaaaaaaaaaad.

I have the script for NOLF3 right here it says "20 years later it's the 80s and Kate and her ninja wife Isako must stop a plot that will end the cold war in nuclear winter *joy division blares over the speakers*"

yeah nolf's writing is def generally better than a lot of modern shooters. though that's more down to modern shooters having really bad writing, while nolf at least makes the barest attempts at having characters and sometimes its characters have dynamics. that's something even a lot of story-based fps games tend to gently caress up, somehow

tfw titanfall 2 is probably one of the better written fps games just because it has two characters with A Fun Dynamic

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Watching someone playing through Yakuza, I find it increasingly difficult to believe Kazuma Kiryu has never killed anyone. But I suppose he's just that good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

FirstAidKite posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck night terrors

Hope everybody has a good night or morning seeing as it is 2:02 am for me.

Anybody have any plans for the weekend? We might head to the movies to see a matinee showing of the new marvel movie, idk.

It's my friend's birthday tomorrow and also the England quarter final and also a street carnival right outside my house but I've been in pain all week and my face is so flaky and raw I feel gross so I might not bother with any of it :sigh:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chumbler posted:

Watching someone playing through Yakuza, I find it increasingly difficult to believe Kazuma Kiryu has never killed anyone. But I suppose he's just that good.

He was trained by Batman. He’ll leave people a crippled mess, stab them, gut them, smash their skulls, throw them off buildings, run them over, but they still breathing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TOOT BOOT posted:

That's extremely hosed they got fired for that unless there's some kind of history there.

It's extreme that the GW2 writer was fired but she was kind of a jerk to that other dude for no reason.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The secret boss in the Splatoon 2 dlc, lmao

Christ what the gently caress

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
on the grand stage of developers flipping out at players, what she did was kind of kneejerky but firing her just kind of makes things worse instead of fixing or resolving anything, if there was even a big situation to fix or resolve to begin with

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

It's my friend's birthday tomorrow and also the England quarter final and also a street carnival right outside my house but I've been in pain all week and my face is so flaky and raw I feel gross so I might not bother with any of it :sigh:

I don't suppose you have any creams that can help in the meantime?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't suppose you have any creams that can help in the meantime?

I currently have four separate moisturisers, two steroids creams, I've been on antibiotics all week for patches that got infected and I've started a course of oral steroids.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Colonel posted:

on the grand stage of developers flipping out at players, what she did was kind of kneejerky but firing her just kind of makes things worse instead of fixing or resolving anything, if there was even a big situation to fix or resolve to begin with
it also gives power to shithead gamers that rally to bully people

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

I currently have four separate moisturisers, two steroids creams, I've been on antibiotics all week for patches that got infected and I've started a course of oral steroids.

Daaamn :(

I can't remember what I did when I last had an eczema flareup because that was only for a few years when I was maybe around 10 years-old, but I remember cold compresses making it a little easier to suffer through. Admittedly, my eczema was solely on the backs of my hands, but it was bad enough that my skin had cracked open and was bleeding. I don't know if a warm shower or a cold compress would give you much relief given that you're on so many creams at the moment but I hope the creams and antibiotics and steroids do their job and help get rid of it as soon as possible.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Adam Bowen posted:

In what other industry or situation could you treat a customer like that and not be fired?

I think being a game developer as a career has enough downsides without having to walk on eggshells around idiot children.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think being a game developer as a career has enough downsides without having to walk on eggshells around idiot children.

I read what (I think) was the whole twitter thread and the dude she barked at wasn't disrespectful or rude at all, he was just offering constructive criticism like "oh wouldn't it be cool if in GW2 you had more dialogue options to customize your character" as gamers do and then continued to be nice even as she popped off on this huge unnecessary lecture. Probably shouldn't have lost her job over it, but it wasn't a good look imho.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i shall pardon the video games writer lady, for making a long twitter thread about blank slate protag rpg writing and getting mildly frustrated when a guy just pops in and ignores 2/3 of it while presenting what he's saying as criticism to incite thoughtful discussion

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've been listening to the Mass Effect 2 soundtrack while drawing the past few days and all my memories of this game are coming back.

I'm kind of upset because I want too play it again but I know I'd just end up frustrated with where the series went.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the only thing i remember about the mass effect soundtrack is that album those white internet rappers put out about the series like a decade ago

if i see some asari winkin i am headed that a way /
some turian is mad at me because i took his gal away

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Every time I Celeste I end up tensing up my neck to the point where it gets real sore which is something I'd never really experienced myself but my dad always said that's why he quit video gaming in like 1980 as Space Invaders was that game for him.

I feel like I have to beat this game for my family's honor now.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

The Colonel posted:

i shall pardon the video games writer lady, for making a long twitter thread about blank slate protag rpg writing and getting mildly frustrated when a guy just pops in and ignores 2/3 of it while presenting what he's saying as criticism to incite thoughtful discussion

She was't "mildly frustrated", more absurdly hostile and pejorative. It was genuinely unacceptable from a customer relations perspective.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Hello chat thread! I'm excited that the goon game jam is starting today, I'm excited Octopath Traveller is coming out in a week (even though who knows when I'll get a Switch), I'm excited about getting near the end of my second Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta run, and I'm excited I bumbled into some place called Ash Lake while cursed and am eating it repeatedly to a hydra (never played Dark Souls before).

Dare I say it, games are good!

I'm excited for this, too, for all the fans that would not shut up about Ribbon and/or Adeleine for years and years and years. Although personally I would've preferred the Batamon by itself though.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Colonel posted:

IMO as long as you aren't being Phil Fish I don't think it's a problem.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I was having a dream where I decided to call out of work and use a personal day.

Then my "hey dumbass you're gonna be late" alarm went off. :smith:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

less laughter posted:

She was't "mildly frustrated", more absurdly hostile and pejorative. It was genuinely unacceptable from a customer relations perspective.

And if she were a community manager then maybe there would be more of a case for termination

Like this is literally hours after posting that that she was reportedly sacked, unless there was something else behind the scenes this seems like a extremely summary dismissal and another example of devs treating labor like poo poo by immediately appeasing a "partnered streamer" by sacking their salaried employees

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Man, I always miss Bond chat

Thunderball is best Bond song

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/HazelMonforton/status/1015161882204917760?s=19
https://twitter.com/HazelMonforton/status/1015163708174192640?s=19

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It looks like Arenanet was possibly influenced by pressure from the Guild Wars 2 subreddit who immediately went into overdrive internet detective mode and dug through Price's Twitter for anything they could smear her with

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Skypie posted:

I was having a dream where I decided to call out of work and use a personal day.

Then my "hey dumbass you're gonna be late" alarm went off. :smith:

i had a dream the queen of england died and i became queen

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

oddium posted:

i had a dream the queen of england died and i became queen

In both these cases, waking up was terrible

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Skypie posted:

In all cases, waking up is terrible.

Good morning everyone!! :waycool:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I had a dream that I woke up and found some new cereal in the kitchen. However before I could eat it I woke up to realise we did not, in fact, have new cereal

I live a full and exciting life

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I was busy all week with sick kiddy and other stuff so I had to take a break after the final big boss fight in Peace Walker, despite there still being stuff to do.

that stuff took five seconds, then credits :/

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also according to PW Otacon is only two years older than me, so I'm taking that as canon

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Also according to PW Otacon is only two years older than me, so I'm taking that as canon

why wouldn’t it be canon

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I don't know why but for the last few months sometimes I wake up with people calling my name. Sometimes it's a hush, sometimes it's a familiar voice, sometimes it's a desperate scream, and it's always specifically and only my first name. Today it was my father's angry yelling and I actually got up a bit scared before remembering we haven't talked in years.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

less laughter posted:

IMO its good to be rude to Gamers on twitter or otherwise

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Interacting on Twitter is a mistake

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Anyone who has to interact with the general public should practice saying "that's some interesting feedback, I'll take it into consideration" in a way that really means "gently caress you." It's good for your well-being!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

codenameFANGIO posted:

why wouldn’t it be canon

I think his age shifts based on release dates of games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Skypie posted: