Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Johnny Joestar posted:

from what i remember i don't think seasons even has a 'proper' water dungeon

part of this probably due to the fact that there's no mermaid tail

Seasons had a semi-water dungeon, or at least there was a lot of water in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cythereal posted:

I liked the Ancient Cistern in Skyward Sword, if you want to consider that a water dungeon.

I think in general, though, games not designed from the outset for underwater travel and gameplay tend to suffer when adding underwater areas to otherwise land-based games.

It's a shame, I love underwater stuff in games and it's a sorely underused environment and setting.

Majora's Mask had the best water movement...and then they went and made THAT mess for the ocean dungeon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The best water dungeon in Zelda history is Snowpeak Manor and that's obviously a looser definition of "water" than a lot of people will go with.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I actually liked the water dungeon in Twilight Princess. Something about it really clicked for me, and I managed to really get the layout of the dungeon and how the various water paths worked together.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Today's dungeon music is the sound of dragging yourself up a road blackout drunk.

Next Wednesday is the last part of Ages, and then Seasons will begin next Sunday.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

...did you forget you had the Cane of Somaria again? You can use that instead of wasting seeds to find the invisible platforms, I'm pretty sure that's what you're intended to do.

Interestingly, if you look at where you are on the map, the last dungeon is very close to the first one. If you try to use the Song of Ages and get into it from the present, the game just arbitrarily says "no, time travel doesn't work here" or something like that and sends you back. No sequence breaking, you have to go through the Sea of Storms.

I'd like this dungeon so much better if not for the music, completely agreed. It's especially frustrating to me because the music in the labyrinth outside is great.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Note that to reach the boss you use sword, bomb, seed, and glove to reach the door. Which is the same order to use things to fight the boss itself.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
At the end of the dungeon you were talking about long dead stars. Actually, that's just a myth. The chance that a visible star is already dead is incredibly small. Stars live for tens of billions of years, if you discount clouds, i.e. barely visible galaxies, since you wouldn't be able to discern any stars in them, the farthest visible star is "only" about 7000 light years away, while most are only a couple of hundreds. The probability that the stars life ended in exactly that time span is diminishing.
And there are only roughly 6000 stars which are visible with the naked eyes. (3000 on each side of the globe.)

Sorry for the unsolicited astronomy lecture, but it's kinda fun how everyone overestimates the distance of space in that one example.

But yeah, falling stars would kinda suck for orientation. Though, you could use a comet, if one happens to be visible at that time.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

when talking about wishing ages had more color i was just thinking 'seasons absolutely has more going on' and then you two went into talking about it anyways. the season gimmick lends itself well to some neat palette shifts, which is part of why a lot of it sticks out to me compared to the areas in ages which i had a hard time remembering until this lp came along. although, i think i've already established that i'm biased towards seasons anyways so that's not surprising.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Johnny Joestar posted:

when talking about wishing ages had more color i was just thinking 'seasons absolutely has more going on' and then you two went into talking about it anyways. the season gimmick lends itself well to some neat palette shifts, which is part of why a lot of it sticks out to me compared to the areas in ages which i had a hard time remembering until this lp came along.
It turns out, having four overworld's allows you to have four palettes of the overworld!
While Ages only has two (past and present) and naturally they went with the sepia tone for the past.

Should have gone meta and made it more OG Gameboy like the Classic Ring. So you'd appreciate the present's colors more :v:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Today, in things Meccaprime got wrong:

- Barrier islands commonly 'migrate' because they erode on one side and sand is deposited on another. They can migrate up to several meters per year. It has nothing to do with tectonic activity, and in case of Oracle of Ages, it's actually surprising how LITTLE they moved in 400 years.

- BIFF grows whenever you finish a certain number of dungeons, over both games if you play a Linked game. It has nothing to do with gasha nuts.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I do so enjoy turtlemothspider soup at the top of the world.

Seasons begins on Sunday!

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

I thought it was jellyfish-thing, not a turtle?

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

before anyone goes correcting me :v: - the owl statue hint tells you which staircase to take, the solution is follow the flame that's directly behind you when you enter the room and it shows you which staircase to use

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i will admit that part of it is nostalgia making me remember the games well but the two of them if nothing else are fairly solid entries to the series. a bit limited compared to others and it's hard to match up to the 3d entries, really. good distillations of the zelda formula, though, and the linking gimmick was pretty cool if a bit...weird and requiring both games.

now it's time for the best one of the two :twisted:

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Despite being pretty solid at best. They are very unique entrys into the series, and I'm glad these two games exist.

Seasons is better though :colbert:.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

You might say they were both good games, but it just wasn't Oracle of Ages' time.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think what I liked most about the Oracle games is that you had linking games in the vein of pokemon and such, except in this case you had two different adventures rather than 'minor differences in where you find things'. In general I really hate the color-linking thing, but here it was alright.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My only real complaints about the Oracle games are pretty standard ones for Zelda: all the female characters are useless and every seemingly original and interesting plot quickly turns back into Ganondorf.

As one of the three Zelda games I've actually played, I put Oracle of Ages as the middle one in terms of quality. Fun, but uneven, and little kid me was not mentally equipped to figure out a lot of these puzzles on my own. :v:

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I think what I liked most about the Oracle games is that you had linking games in the vein of pokemon and such, except in this case you had two different adventures rather than 'minor differences in where you find things'. In general I really hate the color-linking thing, but here it was alright.

I agree with this. The other nice thing is that the intent was pretty clearly "play both games" rather than "swap with friends", and the password system (tedious as it can get at times) means you don't need to buy link cables or extra hardware to experience all the content. I can't think of other "multiple version" games that give that courtesy off the top of my head.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cythereal posted:

My only real complaints about the Oracle games are pretty standard ones for Zelda: all the female characters are useless

To be fair, that's also true for the male characters in this game. Or do you think Ralph was actually helping?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Hell, Nayru did more good than Ralph did. And she was possessed for the first half of the game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Senerio posted:

Hell, Nayru did more good than Ralph did. And she was possessed for the first half of the game.

It's okay, you can call her what she is: a damsel in distress who needs rescuing.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Cythereal posted:

It's okay, you can call her what she is: a damsel in distress who needs rescuing.

I rather just call her an NPC in a Zelda game.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Looking forward to the next game! :)

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Cythereal posted:

My only real complaints about the Oracle games are pretty standard ones for Zelda: all the female characters are useless and every seemingly original and interesting plot quickly turns back into Ganondorf.
To be fair, theres a reason the Hijacked By Ganon trope exists.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
I'm a bit late now but I had no idea that first gen ring existed. Did either of you ever try playing any of the minigames with that or any of the other sprite swap rings equipped? The dancing especially, since it doesn't require use of items.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

General Maximus posted:

I'm a bit late now but I had no idea that first gen ring existed. Did either of you ever try playing any of the minigames with that or any of the other sprite swap rings equipped? The dancing especially, since it doesn't require use of items.

You can't interact with NPCs with the sprite changing rings, sadly. (Might be wrong)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
No you can't talk to the NPCs as a Sprite swap sadly. I wanted to do tons of stuff with a few of the Sprite swap rings but alas.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 13, 2018

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Was looking stuff up, apparently that form of Veran's is a Beetle, not a turtle. All her Metamorphosis' are insects. (Spider for some reason only has 4 legs though).

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Spiders aren't insects. Maybe she transformed into a bat?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's a general 'bug' theme, not all bugs are insects after all.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

I wish Veran was explained more. Shes very interesting.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

unfortunately veran and general onox (the seasons antagonist) don't get much characterization mainly because they basically exist to be stand-ins for the normal playthroughs as opposed to the really obvious main villain for a linked game. which i guess is a flaw of the linked game gimmick, that being that ultimately a game that isn't linked isn't really 'complete' exactly and certain aspects might suffer due to it.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Silegna posted:

You can't interact with NPCs with the sprite changing rings, sadly. (Might be wrong)

Well that's incredibly disappointing. I wanted to see oldschool Link dancing.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

10 hours, 5 minutes. Wanted to catch up with the LP, did this all in one day.

Silegna fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 15, 2018

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

McFly thought he was free. And then the Triforce spat him out into another far-off land. It's time for the linked version of Oracle of Seasons!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Seasons I feel has more impact nowadays because Ages deals with pure scifi/hard fantasy in time travel but we are actually living "Winter going straight into summer" and other things - our seasons are out of whack due to environmental factors, so we are directly seeing the theoretical damage Onox would be doing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Since you marathoned so hard its moot, but if you want to rename your mc there is a password generator program on the web that you could recreate your clear data with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

McFly thought he was free. And then the Triforce spat him out into another far-off land. It's time for the linked version of Oracle of Seasons!

...Can't you just transfer the rings from Ages to Seasons right away by just talking to one of the snakes in the jars in the ring shop?