Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

So I almost never make it to the late-game when I play so decided to start a game in the Medieval era. It's... weird.

The start is a lot faster - it feels great having a lot of things to do in the early game and the resources to expand. The downside is that I'm pushing up against the Industrial era now and it's kind of boring. Everyone loves each other - pretty much every civ is friends with every other civ, and everyone is pretty close in score. Anyone noticed that kind of thing before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Just make some noise and change the world.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there a mod that will let me remove civs from the random pool when starting a game? Is that possible within the confines of the modding system?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Any chance of a release on steam workshop? I'd use that for sure.

It's ready.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1420713759

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Fantastic! Will it work on a current game?

It does, even combined with the extended diplo ribbon. This is a great mod, congrats!

In other news, the world has finally accepted the one true religion :

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 30, 2018

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Thanks.

Weird that it works with extended diplomacy ribbon though. My mod must load later and override it since I use the same file name.

Let me know if you encounter any issues. I have some more ideas for this thing and I'll handle any bug fixes while I'm adding to it. If it becomes popular on steam, I might add some quality of life features like moving the leaders more toward the center of the screen so the map doesn't cover them as much.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Just a tip if you want the civ packs- they're all on sale on Steam together for about $20, whereas if you but then separately they're over $25. So even though I don't care about the Vikings pack, for example, it was worth it to get it with everything else.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
What's the current state of the game? Is the AI still terrible? I have both this and Civ V and I'm undecided about which one to play.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

What's the current state of the game? Is the AI still terrible? I have both this and Civ V and I'm undecided about which one to play.

Yes.

If you're looking for a challenge, play Civ 5 with Vox Populi.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Don't play Vox Populi, because it's garbage for taking away Greek Fire from Byzantium.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
vox populi isn't that much of an AI improvement though? the only real challenge it presents is that it completely overhauls the way buildings and incomes work, so you have to re-learn the entire city management system in the midst of its excessive kitchen sink options.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I don't think it includes a specific AI improvement but it's definitely capable of using the new features (eg sending diplo units to city states). The main challenge is figuring out how the game works again, after you've done that it becomes relatively easy to manipulate the AI just as in vanilla.

I love it, the city state diplo overall is incredible, but it deffo has too many buildings.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

I haven't played in a while and I can't find a mod to make the UI bearable which doesn't break the tech tree or remove my ability to assign emissaries to city states, send help.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

If anyone is interested; I have added four more very simple mods in my endless quest to make this game some kind of fun.

Here are four mods that each remove one stupid micromanagement natural wonder that you have to walk every unit in your empire to get promotions that are invisible.

Remove Matterhorn
Remove Lysefjorden
Remove Giant's Causeway
Remove Everest

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Human Crouton posted:

If anyone is interested; I have added four more very simple mods in my endless quest to make this game some kind of fun.

Here are four mods that each remove one stupid micromanagement natural wonder that you have to walk every unit in your empire to get promotions that are invisible.

Remove Matterhorn
Remove Lysefjorden
Remove Giant's Causeway
Remove Everest

So how do you get the promotions now? Are the promotions from these wonders removed?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Can't we just have a mod that makes the promotions visible?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know goons hate playing suboptimally, but you could also just not walk every unit in your empire to get promotions that are invisible whenever you get hold of a Promotion Mountain, if that appeals to your gameplay preferences.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I know goons hate playing suboptimally, but you could also just not walk every unit in your empire to get promotions that are invisible whenever you get hold of a Promotion Mountain, if that appeals to your gameplay preferences.

The opponent can also march troops to promotion mountain and get invisible promotions.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
While I'd prefer the wonders having some sort of bonus that didn't require so much tedium over just removing them, rebalancing like that is extra work and can mess things up, and yeah, those sorts of wonders are not good for the game. That level of busywork doesn't add much to the game, and the promotions not being visible doesn't help either.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Roland Jones posted:

While I'd prefer the wonders having some sort of bonus that didn't require so much tedium over just removing them, rebalancing like that is extra work and can mess things up, and yeah, those sorts of wonders are not good for the game. That level of busywork doesn't add much to the game, and the promotions not being visible doesn't help either.

Oddly enough I have a pydt with one of those next door to me, and I didn’t even realize what was happening until I saw a unit gain the promotion this last turn. It’s super broken, units ignore hills for rest of the game, and gain +3 on them? Yeah, now I’ll have to route every unit on that single file path to gain mountaineer status because holy crap, ignoring hills is massive.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

onesixtwo posted:

Oddly enough I have a pydt with one of those next door to me, and I didn’t even realize what was happening until I saw a unit gain the promotion this last turn. It’s super broken, units ignore hills for rest of the game, and gain +3 on them? Yeah, now I’ll have to route every unit on that single file path to gain mountaineer status because holy crap, ignoring hills is massive.

Oh yeah, that one is huge. If I had that in my territory I think I'd make an encampment next to it and make all my units there so they immediately got the bonus even if I later forgot about it, and to cut down on the micro.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Roland Jones posted:

Those are mostly my thoughts. There are plenty of people who change wonders and try to suit their own ideas, but I want to keep any changes I make as close to the base game as possible.

It's not like these wonders are crucial parts of the game anyway. They aren't even in every game. You could very easily play a game without my mods and not get any of these wonders. I just fix the die roll so you never get an annoying wonder. It's like the game hasn't changed at all.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I think the wonder that gives 2 great general and 2 great merchant points is more egregious than any of those promotion natural wonders.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Those wonders would be a lot more acceptable if they also auto-granted their promotions to every unit ever made by you, if the wonder is within your borders. Make it a thing maybe worth fighting over. They can keep the base effects as well, in case nobody settles them.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Grats to Space Arabia in Goon Summer!

As for the Midsummer goon game, COME FORTH, HERETICS, GREAT SEKHMET WILL GORGE HERSELF ON YOUR BLOOD

karmaconfetti
Dec 22, 2009

Wie vuur eet, schijt vonken.
Aegyptus Delende Est.

Also: Nubia Delende Est.

You are all part of the greater Nippon-Romanum Prosperity Sphere. Alexander can come too. Hopefully. Soon.

If you people stop sinking my boats!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
No boats allowed in these waters. Except mine. Also, you would perhaps be interested in a nuclear non-proliferation treaty? I am, because you nuked me.

(Also I just remembered that after my game crashed mid-turn yesterday I wound up taking a break, then passing out for like twelve hours and never redoing it. Unfortunately I have to run to summer college stuff soon so it'll be a bit longer until I can get that done, sorry.)

Byzantine posted:

Grats to Space Arabia in Goon Summer!

Thanks, by the way. I think that was my longest-lasting game yet.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 10, 2018

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

After not having played with the expansion until just now, is it just me or is it too easy to use the loyalty system and it's component parts to get nearby AI cities to flip over to your control?

For one it's too obvious that the AI doesn't seem to understand that putting a settler way outside of its own borders and in the midst of other civilizations is a recipe for trouble.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 11, 2018

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Crazy Ted posted:

After not having played with the expansion until just now, is it just me or is it too easy to use the loyalty system and it's component parts to get nearby AI cities to flip over to your control?

For one it's too obvious that the AI doesn't seem to understand that putting a settler way outside of its own borders and in the midst of other civilizations is a recipe for trouble.

After playing a couple games, I am not sure the AI understands anything.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The huge difference in Civ5 owners to Civ6 owners shown in the Ars Technica link is pretty mad. I guess Civ6 really did do as comparatively badly as it seemed.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Taear posted:

The huge difference in Civ5 owners to Civ6 owners shown in the Ars Technica link is pretty mad. I guess Civ6 really did do as comparatively badly as it seemed.

What link is this? Sorry if I'm being utterly blind but I can't see it

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Taear posted:

V is practically ancient though, I think it was the first game I got on Steam back in the day since it was one of the few big name (non-Valve) releases that required it. Its also had free weekends and huge discounts many times by now. It'd be pretty astonishing if the numbers were comparable, all things considered.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

It's not just owners, Civ 5 also wins on player count. Hilarious seeing Beyond Earth below Civ 3.

Gort fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 12, 2018

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Given how many people only buy games when they are really deeply discounted on Steam, I am not super shocked by the difference.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

homullus posted:

Given how many people only buy games when they are really deeply discounted on Steam, I am not super shocked by the difference.

Civ VI was a respectable amount off in the just-ended Steam summer sale.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Gort posted:

It's not just owners, Civ 5 also wins on player count. Hilarious seeing Beyond Earth below Civ 3.

Poor Beyond Earth. I almost feel like firing it up again out of sympathy.

Almost.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

ibntumart posted:

Poor Beyond Earth. I almost feel like firing it up again out of sympathy.

Almost.

Don't do it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you get the urge to play something like Beyond Earth, just play Endless Legend instead imo.

Or go back to Alpha Centauri! That's still a good game.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Dont play SMAC, watch the cinematic videos instead B) 200 IQ tip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What link is this? Sorry if I'm being utterly blind but I can't see it

Sorry, I assumed everyone had seen it. The link is here if you want to look. Civ5 has 12 million. Crusader Kings 2 has 3.1 million. Civ6 has 3.6 million.
It's such a huge gulf.

And calling Civ5 "practically ancient" sure makes me feel old.

Taear fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 13, 2018