Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

i cant find it now but there's a behind the scenes clip with sharlto copely talking about how in hollywood there'd be a lot of red tape, but in russia they actually just set a guy on fire like its no big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

got any sevens posted:

i cant find it now but there's a behind the scenes clip with sharlto copely talking about how in hollywood there'd be a lot of red tape, but in russia they actually just set a guy on fire like its no big deal

Was that way in old Hollywood too, a lot of early stunts only required someone with the stones to do them.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

incidentally old hollywood killed a lot of people

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Prav posted:

incidentally old hollywood killed a lot of people

and a lot of horses

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/1014924373290110976

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

so I guess the plan really was to just load the kids on an army truck and kick em off in TJ

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The event of musk getting doxxed by a kpop fan group gets wierder and wierder

https://mobile.twitter.com/LoonaRevolution/status/959990572592312321

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

harvesting DNA from migrant children

normal country

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

harvesting DNA from migrant children

normal country

well, they don't have much choice, since they apparently didn't even bother to note down which kid they took away from which parents

(because they never had any intention of reuniting the families)

edit: oops, apparently I'm wrong. they took records and then deliberately destroyed them for some reason

https://mobile.twitter.com/juliehdavis/status/1015058465096634368

Main Paineframe has issued a correction as of 15:39 on Jul 6, 2018

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i wonder how much all those dna tests cost

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Bullshit. No way it's only 3000

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

well, they don't have much choice, since they apparently didn't even bother to note down which kid they took away from which parents

(because they never had any intention of reuniting the families)

edit: oops, apparently I'm wrong. they took records and then deliberately destroyed them for some reason

https://mobile.twitter.com/juliehdavis/status/1015058465096634368

they were probably destroyed specifically so it would be easier to sell them or leave them in the desert or whatever, knowing your average federal police agency

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Agean90 posted:

The event of musk getting doxxed by a kpop fan group gets wierder and wierder

https://mobile.twitter.com/LoonaRevolution/status/959990572592312321

I seriously can't express how excited I am that we're finally getting some of the fun parts of living in a cyberpunk dystopia

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1015252697564532736

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Yea I'd be super worried that the FBI got a sample of my DNA but sending it to a private corporation where it'll become a saleable commodity in our increasingly corporate dominated world is np

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the police have already done it, this year even

police rummaged though the dude's trash, sent it off to a sequencing place, and came back with a next relative match

"California DNA test police" should grab it on google

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In one week, U.S. police solved five cold cases via familial DNA.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the cops literally said they caught the golden state killer a couple months ago by checking some old crime scene dna against a dna company's database and found a close match with some of his relatives

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Wheeee posted:

Yea I'd be super worried that the FBI got a sample of my DNA but sending it to a private corporation where it'll become a saleable commodity in our increasingly corporate dominated world is np

My wife got one of those done. Her mom's side of the family came over with the first European settlers and her dad was Polish so her map came back with literally a circle around all the places white people are from.

I refuse to do one, I already have Alexa in my house sending back data to Amazon every time I take a piss, I don't need my literal DNA floating out there too.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
as outlined with the golden state killer thing and even the cambridge analytica, your participation has zero impact on your overall exposure since your family and friends are the side channel vector

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
that aside even in a BEST CASE scenario, 23andme is a racial purity test

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

got any sevens posted:

yeah, don't they also mention how they had a russian stunt guy fall like 3 stories

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Al! posted:

And when you fail it you get to claim to be a minority on forms. It's great

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Phone posted:

as outlined with the golden state killer thing and even the cambridge analytica, your participation has zero impact on your overall exposure since your family and friends are the side channel vector

yep

this is the thing so many people don't get about social media. even if you opt out and never give it any info, the system is designed to harvest information about you from other people too

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
They will provide you with a Snickers®.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
hello nypd? please stop and frisk me i think i might be black

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Al! posted:

hello nypd? please stop and frisk me i think i might be black

we're all skeletons, just putting on a puppet show with some meat and skin while waiting for the apocalypse

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Al! posted:

This is literally a plot point in the new Palahniuk

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ample cleavage

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

how wide apart are yo titties for a scotch egg to fall between them

e: SEVERAL scotch eggs lmao

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i dunno if this belongs in this thread, the hang them by their bootstraps thread, or the woke brands thread but a gross thing elon musk has been doing lately is using the boys soccer team stuck in a cave in thailand for self-promotion after some musk worshipping nerdling on twitter asked him if he could help. he's sent a team of spacex engineers (because a bunch of aerospace engineers is gonna be super helpful in the situation obviously) and the media has been all a flutter about the hero billionaire elon musk and his big brain ideas for how he would go about saving the boys, meanwhile the thai rescuers are actually working to save the boys with one of the divers going through the flooded cave system having died after bringing supplied to the trapped soccer team. but who cares about that elon musk is going to help!

Darkman Fanpage has issued a correction as of 07:05 on Jul 7, 2018

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Ideas Guy Has Opinions On Trapped Kids

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://medium.com/s/futurehuman/survival-of-the-richest-9ef6cddd0cc1

Last year, I got invited to a super-deluxe private resort to deliver a keynote speech to what I assumed would be a hundred or so investment bankers. It was by far the largest fee I had ever been offered for a talk — about half my annual professor’s salary — all to deliver some insight on the subject of “the future of technology.”

After I arrived, I was ushered into what I thought was the green room. But instead of being wired with a microphone or taken to a stage, I just sat there at a plain round table as my audience was brought to me: five super-wealthy guys — yes, all men — from the upper echelon of the hedge fund world. After a bit of small talk, I realized they had no interest in the information I had prepared about the future of technology. They had come with questions of their own.

Which region will be less impacted by the coming climate crisis: New Zealand or Alaska? Is Google really building Ray Kurzweil a home for his brain, and will his consciousness live through the transition, or will it die and be reborn as a whole new one? Finally, the CEO of a brokerage house explained that he had nearly completed building his own underground bunker system and asked, “How do I maintain authority over my security force after the event?”

For all their wealth and power, they don’t believe they can affect the future.

The Event. That was their euphemism for the environmental collapse, social unrest, nuclear explosion, unstoppable virus, or Mr. Robot hack that takes everything down.

This single question occupied us for the rest of the hour. They knew armed guards would be required to protect their compounds from the angry mobs. But how would they pay the guards once money was worthless? What would stop the guards from choosing their own leader? The billionaires considered using special combination locks on the food supply that only they knew. Or making guards wear disciplinary collars of some kind in return for their survival. Or maybe building robots to serve as guards and workers — if that technology could be developed in time.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

When the hedge funders asked me the best way to maintain authority over their security forces after “the event,” I suggested that their best bet would be to treat those people really well, right now. They should be engaging with their security staffs as if they were members of their own family. And the more they can expand this ethos of inclusivity to the rest of their business practices, supply chain management, sustainability efforts, and wealth distribution, the less chance there will be of an “event” in the first place. All this technological wizardry could be applied toward less romantic but entirely more collective interests right now.

They were amused by my optimism, but they didn’t really buy it. They were not interested in how to avoid a calamity; they’re convinced we are too far gone. For all their wealth and power, they don’t believe they can affect the future. They are simply accepting the darkest of all scenarios and then bringing whatever money and technology they can employ to insulate themselves — especially if they can’t get a seat on the rocket to Mars.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Darkman Fanpage posted:

meanwhile the thai rescuers are actually working to save the boys with one of the divers going through the flooded cave system having died after bringing supplied to the trapped soccer team

is this really an argument for their competence

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
cave diving is really dangerous, and even experienced divers can just straight up die. musk simply doesn't know what he's talking about, as demonstrated by his macgyver bullshit, yet the media is treating both as equally relevant, when they're not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

rudatron posted:

cave diving is really dangerous, and even experienced divers can just straight up die. musk simply doesn't know what he's talking about, as demonstrated by his macgyver bullshit, yet the media is treating both as equally relevant, when they're not.

Yeah it's incredibility dangerous since it's very easy to get disoriented and also lose visibility due to silt getting kicked up.