Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's a term intended to describe a specific form of hegemonic masculinity, but was wielded by people who thought they were on the cutting edge of feminism by deciding to apply it to everything. "Toxic masculinity" has devolved into simply meaning "thing that is bad," while eclipsing in the minds of the woke crowd the original concept it was intended to further.

I just read this post out loud to my wife, and she said: “‘Feminists made this term! Feminists bad!’”

Which is what it sounds like to me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I just read this post out loud to my wife, and she said: “‘Feminists made this term! Feminists bad!’”

I think you mean feminists are toxic masculinity. :v:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It reads to me more like "radicalism made this term, radicalism is bad" and that using blanket terminology might not be a good thing, no matter how angry you are (like kylo).

Now that I think about it, maybe radicalism isn't the right term either. Militantism, maybe? Either way, it goes back to yoda's message, you can't fight hate with hate, otherwise you already lost to the dark side.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Vader cut off Luke’s hand while he was holding the lightsaber. Only the lightsaber shows up in TFA.

Therefore somebody must have separated the two at some point, meaning that Luke’s hand is somewhere in the Star Wars universe unaccounted for.

Chances are that rigor mortis would have set in and Luke’s hand would be stuck in a position to grip a cylindrical object.

There is a non-zero chance that somebody in the Star Wars universe used Luke Skywalker’s hand to give themselves a handjob.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Instant Sunrise posted:

Vader cut off Luke’s hand while he was holding the lightsaber. Only the lightsaber shows up in TFA.

Therefore somebody must have separated the two at some point, meaning that Luke’s hand is somewhere in the Star Wars universe unaccounted for.

Chances are that rigor mortis would have set in and Luke’s hand would be stuck in a position to grip a cylindrical object.

There is a non-zero chance that somebody in the Star Wars universe used Luke Skywalker’s hand to give themselves a handjob.

Why is this even speculation?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Again, the term has eclipsed its superior patent concept. So much so that you are unable to recognize the feminist concept of hegemonic masculinity, which already described what's now idiotically buried under the label of "toxic".

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 6, 2018

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

Why is this even speculation?

Imagine a world where Disney!Han told his son about The Secret Tales of Luke's Hand

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if anyone is guilty of toxic masculinity in tlj it's luke, who prioritizes violence over communication towards his own family and kills himself in order to get one last own on the nephew he considered murdering

kylo's anger meanwhile is directed towards the right targets, the lovely past he's inherited from the people who came before him

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

"toxic masculinity" is a stupid concept.

Ah good, so you're not just a lovely idiot poster, you're a toxic sexist misogynist as well. I legitimately fear for any women in your life.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Ah good, so you're not just a lovely idiot poster, you're a toxic sexist misogynist as well. I legitimately fear for any women in your life.

settle down, beavis

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Brother Entropy posted:

settle down, beavis

Nah dude. If people can't recognize toxic masculinity, then they're probably guilty of it themselves, and are an active threat to those around them.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Hahahahaha, what the gently caress is wrong with you

A: "Toxic masculinity is a stupid concept because it's a poor replacement for hegemonic masculinity"
B: "oh my god you are a misogynist who abuses women"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Nah dude. If people can't recognize toxic masculinity, then they're probably guilty of it themselves, and are an active threat to those around them.

you're mad that he prefers using a different phrase and deciding he's a dangerous misogynist because of it

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Toxic masculinity is an incredibly broad concept at the best of times.

How is Kylo Ren toxically masculine?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
People are struggling hard to explain why Kylo scares them, so you have stuff like “he’s a school shooter, uh, he’s a cosplayer...???”

Luke tried to murder a kid in a school while dressed as a Jedi.

Kylo Ren is scary because he’s a fundamentalist Christian who actually believes in God, whereas Luke couldn’t even read a fuckin bible after literally being stuck on an island with it for over ten years. Also Kylo yells at people.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
A person: "'Colour-blindness' is no solution to racism"
Jivjov: "Oh my god you filthy loving racist! I assume you're a Grand Wizard."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Kylo Ren is scary because he’s a fundamentalist Christian who actually believes in God, whereas Luke couldn’t even read a fuckin bible after literally being stuck on an island with it for over ten years. Also Kylo yells at people.

Perhaps Luke is a Roman Catholic (i.e. a servant of the Anti-Christ a.k.a. the Pope).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Luke Skywalker's School For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Want To Do Other Stuff Good As Well

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yaws posted:

Why did Ben Solo fall to the darkside? Because Luke attempted to kill him? Was he destined to because of his grandpap?

There's a lot to unpack when Luke reveals that "Snoke already turned Ben" while he was under his tutelage, which means

*Snoke was already consolidating power through the universe while Luke was in hiding with his students
*Luke was radicalizing these kids against the established government in secret
*Luke wanted to kick off Vietnam II

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 6, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hegemonic_masculinity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxic_masculinity

These don't seem like synonyms to me or replacements for the other one tbh

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

According to Kupers, toxic masculinity serves to outline aspects of hegemonic masculinity that are socially destructive, "such as misogyny, homophobia, greed, and violent domination".

This sums up why the idea of "toxicity" is bunk. The truth is that these aren't socially destructive, but socially constructive practices, which is what makes them truly dangerous.

e: see Star Wars for an example, where "toxically masculine" Kylo Ren almost off-handedly takes control of the galaxy after killing Snoke

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 6, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

They aren’t synonyms because hegemonic masculinity refers to power structures, whereas toxic masculinity is about the edge-case behaviour of individual ‘toxic subjects’.

A person can complain about toxic masculinity without actually opposing hegemonic masculinity, let alone patriarchy.

In your own link, they use male prisoners as their example of toxic people, when of course we should be talking in terms of the entire prison-industrial complex.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Rey should have hosed Kylo Ren to calm him down, a la Clarice and Hannibal Lecter in Hannibal.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

This sums up why the idea of "toxicity" is bunk. The truth is that these aren't socially destructive, but socially constructive practices, which is what makes them truly dangerous.

You claim that misogyny, homophobia, greed, and violent domination are self-evidently socially constructive. I don't think I can even begin to understand your moral framework.

e: see Star Wars for an example, where "toxically masculine" Kylo Ren almost off-handedly takes control of the galaxy after killing Snoke

A childish, cruel madman murders a dictator to become the dictator in his place. That's a social good to you? Maybe in that his reign is doomed to failure whereas Snoke seemed to have a good chance of reestablishing an empire. It's going to be a dark time in the short term, though.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Kylo Ren will only be a good guy if in the next movie it's revealed he's planning to murder all humans (including himself) and leave the Galaxy to the Wookies, Clawdite Shapeshifters, and Porgs.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Astribulus posted:

You claim that misogyny, homophobia, greed, and violent domination are self-evidently socially constructive. I don't think I can even begin to understand your moral framework.
They are. You can't have, for example, an international market in goods that require intolerable working conditions unless you implement slavery and construct racist ideology to justify the slavery. "Socially constructive" doesn't mean "moral and for the general good."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 6, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Astribulus posted:

That's a social good to you?

You're making the same naive mistake as Kupers, and using the words "constructive" and "destructive" as synonyms for "good" and "bad".

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The unspoken subtext of TLJ is that Kylo Ren is gay, and Luke was actually running a gay conversion camp. However, Luke soon began to give in to his own gay feelings (he never got married to a woman after 40 years?!) and lusts after his nephew Kylo, which he displaces into violent thoughts. He also suspects Kylo is being seduced by the open and flaming homosexual Snoke and his twink lover General Hux.

Rey nearly suceeds in heterosexually seducing Kylo, but at the last minute she rejects the notion of sexual conversion out of moral principle, leaving Kylo to enter into an uneasy relationship with Hux.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Vinylshadow posted:

Why limit yourself to such a tiny version of Luke showing off the cares he gives?

Definitely the worst single shot in all of Star Wars. Maybe in all of cinema.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I really don't like Dyed Beard Luke it makes him look like some kind of sleazy sex pest or an over the hill High School principal or something.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s not actually luke.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

porfiria posted:

The unspoken subtext of TLJ is that Kylo Ren is gay, and Luke was actually running a gay conversion camp. However, Luke soon began to give in to his own gay feelings (he never got married to a woman after 40 years?!) and lusts after his nephew Kylo, which he displaces into violent thoughts. He also suspects Kylo is being seduced by the open and flaming homosexual Snoke and his twink lover General Hux.

Rey nearly suceeds in heterosexually seducing Kylo, but at the last minute she rejects the notion of sexual conversion out of moral principle, leaving Kylo to enter into an uneasy relationship with Hux.

How does the closeted ghost of Obi-Wan Kenobi fit into this?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

Is it Bigger Luke?

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rey and Kylo really should become romantically involved in the next one, but too bad Kathleen Kennedy doesn’t have the balls to do that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

euphronius posted:

Martman posted:

Is it Bigger Luke?
It's Zizek.

VVV Pure ideology!

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 6, 2018

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's the mental projection of Luke's digital self.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Astribulus posted:

A childish, cruel madman murders a dictator to become the dictator in his place.

Kylo Ren isn’t insane.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slutitution posted:

Rey and Kylo really should become romantically involved in the next one, but too bad Kathleen Kennedy doesn’t have the balls to do that.

I didn't know she was writing the movie.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't know she was writing the movie.

It’s weird to see a Disney fan pretend Kathleen doesn’t have final say over the script to win an argument on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slutitution posted:

It’s weird to see a Disney fan pretend Kathleen doesn’t have final say over the script to win an argument on the internet.

I didn't realise I was arguing.