Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What's the best pizza dough recipe to make if I want to eat pizza tonight, and not have to wait for a cold ferment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Just ferment it warm dude

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

What's the best pizza dough recipe to make if I want to eat pizza tonight, and not have to wait for a cold ferment?

I do 22.5 oz flour, 13 oz warm water, 2 tsp salt, 2 tbsp olive oil, and yeast. If I need it in less than an hour, two tsps of yeast. If I have all day, maybe half a teaspoon. A teaspoon or two of sugar will help it ferment faster I believe.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cool, how many pizzas worth of dough does that make?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Cool, how many pizzas worth of dough does that make?

I would say 3 12" pies? It's essentially 36oz of dough, so it depends on how big you want them. I always cooked for my family, so I'd make them decent sized, but I've also made 6oz rounds for everyone to make their own pizza. And sometimes if I have leftover dough, I cut it into small knobs and deep fry it then toss in cinnamon and sugar.

edit: I also make my dough in a food processor. Takes about a minute. Then dump it and knead a few times, spray with oil and cover to rise. After first ferment, I'll portion it and shape into balls and cover each until im ready to make the pies.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

The Midniter posted:

In case you didn't know (I only learned it recently), pizza places will sell you a big glob of their raw dough for a couple bucks. It's all ready to go, you only have to divide it, flatten it, and add your toppings.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
If you can't wait, the Fleischmann's 30m Pizza Dough recipe will give you dough that is edible. (It's not as good as the stuff that rises for like an hour or so, but it will do in a pinch.)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Midniter posted:

I posted the Genarro pizza dough recipe in the pizza thread recently. It proofs in two hours. It's for margherita.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

These three serve pretty much any purpose I've needed pizza dough for:

https://slice.seriouseats.com/2012/07/the-pizza-lab-three-doughs-to-know.html

EDIT: To specifically answer the question asked, the third one for "sicilian style" proofs pretty quickly.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I've been getting into smoking meats and making bacon and I have a botulism question.

First, is this correct?:
The spores are dormant, but can revive into the vegetative state, and needs hotter than boiling temps to kill.
The vegetative state produces the botulism toxin.
Both spore and vegetative state are harmless when ingested by healthy adults.
The toxin will gently caress you up, but can be neutralized by 3 minutes at 85C.

So the question is: Hypothetically, if I eat/drink a jar composed of equel parts botulism spores, vegetative bacterium and the toxin I'm dead. But if I boil the jar at 90C for five minutes I should be able to eat/drink the jar with little ill effects?

And so; even if I gently caress up the curing/canning process, as long as the food is cooked at over 90C for a few minutes before consumption it's still fine to eat (with regards to risk of botulism)?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

No

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Berevity game on point

E:

https://www.fsai.ie/faq/botulism.html posted:

Normal thorough cooking (pasteurisation: 70°C 2min or equivalent) will kill Cl.botulinum bacteria but not its spores. To kill the spores of Cl.botulinum a sterilisation process equivalent to 121°C for 3 min is required. The botulinum toxin itself is inactivated (denatured) rapidly at temperatures greater than 80°C .

Based on this it seems my post was correct. I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 6, 2018

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
On the topic of botulism, is there a pickling/canning thread? I've made pickled cucumbers three times now, and everybody loves them. I want to pickle other veggies (and maybe eggs), and I wonder if any goons ever made a thread for it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I'm posting this in a few threads so I can get as many ideas as possible.

I want to bake bread that's shaped like a cruise ship. What's my best bet for making an oven safe, food safe mold? It doesn't have to be super intricate or detailed, but I want the basic shape, at least.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Bagheera posted:

On the topic of botulism, is there a pickling/canning thread? I've made pickled cucumbers three times now, and everybody loves them. I want to pickle other veggies (and maybe eggs), and I wonder if any goons ever made a thread for it.

Heck yeah. I've been pickling mushrooms for a bit and anyone who likes mushrooms and pickled things loves them.

E: boat bread: can you bake bread in a clay pot?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Outrail posted:

Berevity game on point

E:

Based on this it seems my post was correct. I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something.

I don't know what your actual use case is wrt smoking meat/bacon > botulism, but

quote:

Pressure canning is the only recommended method for canning low-acid foods. Foods with low acid content are the most common sources of home-canning related botulism cases. Low-acids foods include almost every vegetable, some fruits, milk, all meats, fish, and seafood. See box to the right for examples. Do not use boiling water canners for low-acid foods because they will not protect against botulism
per the cdc. If something is improperly canned toss it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I want to bake bread that's shaped like a cruise ship. What's my best bet for making an oven safe, food safe mold? It doesn't have to be super intricate or detailed, but I want the basic shape, at least.

You could make a silicone mold with food safe two part mix (Amazon has lots of options). The hard part may be getting the bread to fill in the keel (assuming yeast bread. A quick bread would be easier).

Find a toy boat the size you want, and suspend it in a pan of freshly mixed silicone (you may have to build something right dimensions).

Getting the top and bottom of the boat may require two separate molds/loafs. It could be a boat sandwich. Or get a toy submarine and make a sub sandwich.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 6, 2018

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I don't know what your actual use case is wrt smoking meat/bacon > botulism, but

per the cdc. If something is improperly canned toss it.

Yep, I've seen that. What I'm asking is if you have a jar of botulism ridden salsa, you could in theory boil it for five minutes and safely eat it as the toxin/bacterium would be denatured/dead.

Right?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That is best practice for low acidic canned food, same with never reusing spoons. Safe canning procedure is really the only way to guarantee as that's the only thing that takes out the spores. I doubt you'll be eating that salsa ASAP and before it gets below whatever degree C the spores reactivate.

I would not recommend to family/friends.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

That is best practice for low acidic canned food, same with never reusing spoons. Safe canning procedure is really the only way to guarantee as that's the only thing that takes out the spores. I doubt you'll be eating that salsa ASAP and before it gets below whatever degree C the spores reactivate.

I would not recommend to family/friends.

This report seems to suggest it takes a matter of days, not hours for botulism toxin to be produced. So taking my can of botulism ridden salsa, cooking the poo poo out of it and eating it in the next hour or two should be fine, at least in theory?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Are you starving dude? In theory. In practice too many variables i.e. accurately measuring the center temp of the jar of salsa.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm not starving but I don't like to take risks. If cooking home preserved food before eating it eliminates the risk of botulism that's one less thing to worry about.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I don't know of a pickling thread but I'd definitely follow one if someone made one. Maybe contribute occasionally, I have been known to pickle red onions and various peppers for sandwich reasons.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Bagheera posted:

There is but it has been dead for awhile.

Outrail posted:

[I want to give myself botulinum intoxication]
In theory you can destroy botulinum toxin by cooking, although you want the toxin itself to hit around 85 C for around 5 minutes, and boiling the fluid the contaminated food is in doesn't necessarily accomplish that (e.g. the toxin is in the middle of a piece of food in the liquid).

It's a dumb gamble anyway, as cook times (for food safety) are always based on probabilistic models---cook x minutes to reduce [whatever] by a factor of n. Guess wrong on the level of contamination or just get unlucky and congratulations on becoming a statistic.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Outrail posted:

Yep, I've seen that. What I'm asking is if you have a jar of botulism ridden salsa, you could in theory boil it for five minutes and safely eat it as the toxin/bacterium would be denatured/dead.

Right?

In theory possible but botulinum toxin is just about the most lethal protein toxin out there by mass so you're playing a probability game with probably the worst most definite 'this will kill you' item out there. Best not to gently caress around.

As a microbiologist I'd say if you even suspect botulism just throw away, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Outrail posted:

Right?
not really, it takes (up to) 100 minutes at a rolling boil to fully eliminate botulinum.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I like making pie.

Still haven't quite nailed making crust- which is to say I can make a drat tasty one (lime zest goes a long way, huh)– but I still run into a problem area when it comes to keeping it together. Most of the time I make pie dough, I end up struggle-bussing to stop it from sticking to my rolling pin, and almost always have trouble getting it to stay together.

Part of the issue I think is that I'm shooting for a flakey dough, which usually means skimping on really combining the ingredients. I most recently tried out this receipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzEzNffkUhw, but again ran into large issues when I tried to roll it out for the pie tin. Sure was flakey, but also flaked into a bunch of pieces when I did the final rollout.

Anyone else ride this struggle bus and know of a solution? Or heck, decent recipe for flakey pie dough that actually works?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
As a non-baker, that video was wildly triggering, but I had a friend whose mom used to swear by using vodka instead of water in her pie dough mix. Something about the alcohol not activating the flour the same way as water did.

That could be wrong, though!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Any time you're having trouble with a thing, check two sources: America's Test Kitchen (and its other brands, Cooks Illustrated and Cooks Country), and J. Kenji Lopez-Alt (either at Serious Eats or in his book The Food Lab). That will give you a couple alternatives that will almost certainly work:
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12852-foolproof-pie-dough
https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/11/easy-pie-dough-crust-bravetart-food-lab.html
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/579-foolproof-all-butter-pie-dough
and then from there you can pick your favorite and modify it to suit.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The World Inferno posted:

I like making pie.

Still haven't quite nailed making crust- which is to say I can make a drat tasty one (lime zest goes a long way, huh)– but I still run into a problem area when it comes to keeping it together. Most of the time I make pie dough, I end up struggle-bussing to stop it from sticking to my rolling pin, and almost always have trouble getting it to stay together.

Part of the issue I think is that I'm shooting for a flakey dough, which usually means skimping on really combining the ingredients. I most recently tried out this receipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzEzNffkUhw, but again ran into large issues when I tried to roll it out for the pie tin. Sure was flakey, but also flaked into a bunch of pieces when I did the final rollout.

Anyone else ride this struggle bus and know of a solution? Or heck, decent recipe for flakey pie dough that actually works?
That's a bog-standard pâte brisée and the advice she gives is pretty much bang on. If the dough just isn't hanging together at all: add (a little) more water. If the dough is constantly sticking to your pin: flour the pin.

Realtalk though: pie crust is just one of those things that you'll gently caress up and gently caress up and then you'll get the hang of it. There's a tendency to shop around for One Weird Trick recipes as if there's some hermeneutic secret that can only be unlocked by careful study. But really it's just teaching yourself how the ingredients react to working, which is something that you'll just pick up yourself when you've done it enough.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You could make a silicone mold with food safe two part mix (Amazon has lots of options). The hard part may be getting the bread to fill in the keel (assuming yeast bread. A quick bread would be easier).

Find a toy boat the size you want, and suspend it in a pan of freshly mixed silicone (you may have to build something right dimensions).

Getting the top and bottom of the boat may require two separate molds/loafs. It could be a boat sandwich. Or get a toy submarine and make a sub sandwich.

I like this idea. It has to be a cruise ship, but I think I can find something that'll work. The detailed bits on top will be a challenge no matter what I do, but maybe with a few trial runs I can find some dough variable that works. Filling it in will just be a matter of finding the right dough mass and spring. Cover it and treat it like a Pullman pan.

The other idea I had was to make a layer cake, but I've never done anything like that before. I have two weeks. It'd be much cheaper and might be easier and simpler. Sugar decorations for the masts, antennae, and windows would work. Still, making a cake model is a daunting task. I am daunted.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Make your pie crust drier (ie more flour) than you think it should be, then let it rest and roll it out after half an hour (at room temp) or more (in the fridge). But generally I agree that you just need to do it a lot until you figure out what to adjust under what circumstances.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Also make pot pies so you get double the practice! Adding a 1/2 cup of finely grated parmesan to your dough is lovely.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I keep getting garlic scapes in my farm boxes, and while I like them I now have more scapes than I know what to do with. Any goons have creative ideas for how to use them up?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I keep getting garlic scapes in my farm boxes, and while I like them I now have more scapes than I know what to do with. Any goons have creative ideas for how to use them up?

You can use them in pesto, pickle them, or just stir fry bundles of them all the drat time. I miss having easy access to good scapes :smith:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Kimchi, yo

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I grow a shitload of onions and garlic every season and burn through a lot of the greens just by chopping/chiffonading them and using them as garnish on pasta, soup, stir fry, salads, and so on.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Okay I'm interested in what you are actually doing. Is this a cake or something different. If it's a cake you could just make several sheet cakes stack them and carve out your ship. Alternatively if it's a bread I'd think you'd have to make a 2 part mold 1 for the hull and one for the top/stack on the ship. Then fill with inside with dough and as it rises it fills in the top details. Or perhaps turn the top mold upside down because it has more detail fill with dough. Cut top of bread flat flip and remove from the mold. Place on top of hull part. This is so weird lol why are you doing this!?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I accidentally bought too much gruyere. What's an easy way to use up gruyere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Not seeing the problem here.