Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I recently stopped using my HTPC and my quality of life and general disposition in the evenings have improved remarkably. Windows 10 is such a lovely platform for that, and librelec is fine and good until you want netflix.

gently caress all that poo poo, appliances all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I say gently caress the appliances, just buy a Bravia.

They’re already the best non-OLED panels you could hope to buy, and their implementation of Android TV is not great, but good enough to run Kodi, Plex, Moonlight (for Shield-like game streaming), Netflix, Vudu, etc, all in 4K HDR with perfect auto color-space switching.

Everything from the X930E from 2017 to this year’s X900F support Dolby Vision, also.

I mean, this doesn’t apply if you don’t need a TV. But if you do need a TV, forget getting an external box of any kind and just get a Bravia, I guess.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
My brother's Bravia was slow as poo poo and he kept complaining about AndroidTV but it turned out Sony had installed a pile of poo poo. After disabling a bunch of apps/services I've never heard of, it seemed to run fine. Not like a Shield TV or something but it does the job for them.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

My brother's Bravia was slow as poo poo and he kept complaining about AndroidTV but it turned out Sony had installed a pile of poo poo. After disabling a bunch of apps/services I've never heard of, it seemed to run fine. Not like a Shield TV or something but it does the job for them.

This is true. You basically go into the Apps section of Android TV and kill Sony Shelf and 1-2 more lovely services, and then it works pretty ok.

The only real thing I’ve seen it struggle with is Kodi running a photos screensaver and trying to load 16MP photos, it occasionally stutters. No big deal for me.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

bobfather posted:

I say gently caress the appliances, just buy a Bravia.

They’re already the best non-OLED panels you could hope to buy, and their implementation of Android TV is not great, but good enough to run Kodi, Plex, Moonlight (for Shield-like game streaming), Netflix, Vudu, etc, all in 4K HDR with perfect auto color-space switching.

Everything from the X930E from 2017 to this year’s X900F support Dolby Vision, also.

I mean, this doesn’t apply if you don’t need a TV. But if you do need a TV, forget getting an external box of any kind and just get a Bravia, I guess.

It also doesn't apply if you like different sound formats going to your AVR. ARC sucks for that.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Windows just never forayed well into the living room. I've got an old guy who don't know poo poo, got roped into buying a chromebox with libreelec. Guy went and got a curved (of course) 4K Samsung, has a loving Fluid soundbar and is trying to use this box to get movies onto this 4K TV over fuckin 5mbps DSL. Did I mention he controls the box using FLIRC and what must be the cheapest universal remote from 1995. Of course no universal will control that stupid piece of poo poo soundbar. Ideally yes I'd love to just have a PC but its just never gonna be convenient to control for that purpose.

I dunno. I'm planning on getting the Sony anyway, I do like their built in Android TV and I find it runs quite well compared to literally every other smart TV solution there is. Did someone say I can Bluetooth an xbox controller to it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Pretty sure neither the 360 nor Xbone controllers work over Bluetooth. Microsoft sells their own dongle to connect to a PC. Not sure how that works with TVs or streaming boxes.

You'd have better luck with Playstation's controllers if you need Bluetooth.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

But I already have a One controller. And the newer generation ones do connect to PC without dongle

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

codo27 posted:

Windows just never forayed well into the living room. I've got an old guy who don't know poo poo, got roped into buying a chromebox with libreelec. Guy went and got a curved (of course) 4K Samsung, has a loving Fluid soundbar and is trying to use this box to get movies onto this 4K TV over fuckin 5mbps DSL. Did I mention he controls the box using FLIRC and what must be the cheapest universal remote from 1995. Of course no universal will control that stupid piece of poo poo soundbar. Ideally yes I'd love to just have a PC but its just never gonna be convenient to control for that purpose.

I dunno. I'm planning on getting the Sony anyway, I do like their built in Android TV and I find it runs quite well compared to literally every other smart TV solution there is. Did someone say I can Bluetooth an xbox controller to it?

If you get the official dongle for Xbox 360 or Xbone controllers, you can plug those into your TV, pair the controller and it just works.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Uthor posted:

Pretty sure neither the 360 nor Xbone controllers work over Bluetooth. Microsoft sells their own dongle to connect to a PC. Not sure how that works with TVs or streaming boxes.

You'd have better luck with Playstation's controllers if you need Bluetooth.

The newer Xbox One controllers also have Bluetooth on top of the proprietary (WiFi based) protocol. They appear as Bluetooth HID gamepads in this mode and work with basically anything that supports generic Bluetooth peripherals.

If your gamepad has the standard cell phone style headset plug alongside the proprietary one then it has Bluetooth as well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Neat.
:eng101:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's worth noting the Bluetooth functionality on a Xbone controller is very second-rate and way, way less reliable than the dongle.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Word. Now I've never found Bluetooth on my Maximus Mobo that good but the antenna thing is 2 feet away and if my controller goes under the desk or anything like that it loses signal.

e: on the note I've been trying to make about using the Shield for gaming.. https://www.androidauthority.com/nvidia-shield-geforce-now-884560

codo27 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 10, 2018

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Weird TV/Macbook compatibility question that I don't know how to track down:

I have a 2016 MBP with a dongle that supports HDMI 1.4. I have an HDMI cord that works great with a PS4 plugged into a 4k TV, though the TV is upsampling the signal from the PS4.

When I plug this same HDMI cord into my MBP, I get all sorts of stuttering and poor framerate issues on the TV and the computer. I imagine that the HDMI cord and/or dongle can only do 4k at 30hz, which is what Apple says, but it should do 1080p at 60hz. When I turn the resolution down to 1080p, it doesn't fix the framerate issues. This is the only display I've had these issues with. What gives?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is the dongle Apple? Is the HDMI cable Apple? Is the TV Apple? I'm sorry, but they just do not and will never like to play well with other things. Do you have two video adapters? A musicians friend MBP was being all glitchy and weird, impossible to use but I managed to turn on "always use the better gpu" or something along those lines and it suddenly started working fine using the Intel iGPU instead of the radeon chip.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I don’t know, this laptop and dongle have performed perfectly with everything I’ve thrown at them like weird ancient projectors and 1440p displays, this Toshiba TV just does not like it though. Or vice versa.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I love my Shield and it basically does everything I want, but having the ability to play Steam library games was the dream, even at the ridiculous $25 per 20 hour pricing. I'm trying to get it to work right now but the god drat thing won't save save games to the Steam cloud even though I've enabled it everywhere. Any ideas?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Kafka Esq. posted:

I love my Shield and it basically does everything I want, but having the ability to play Steam library games was the dream, even at the ridiculous $25 per 20 hour pricing. I'm trying to get it to work right now but the god drat thing won't save save games to the Steam cloud even though I've enabled it everywhere. Any ideas?

Just to be clear...you realize you've always been able to play your Steam library games for free streamed from your PC?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What's the difference between that and a $5 Steam Link?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
My computer is elderly and barely able to do 1080p at low graphics. GeForce Now cranks the graphics to full. Given that I play single player games for maybe two or three hours a week, it makes sense. Also it's free right now.

Any ideas on the cloud sync problem?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Kafka Esq. posted:

My computer is elderly and barely able to do 1080p at low graphics. GeForce Now cranks the graphics to full. Given that I play single player games for maybe two or three hours a week, it makes sense. Also it's free right now.

Ok, I was just double checking.

Medullah posted:

What's the difference between that and a $5 Steam Link?

With regards to steam library streaming from your desktop, I think it's basically the same.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
To be clear, Kafka, do you mean GeForce NOW, the “game rental service” or actual streaming of your titles from your gaming PC to the Shield?

You mentioned both NOW and Steam cloud.

I read as GeForce NOW games saving to you (Nvidia) Store account, with Steam Cloud saves a different animal. I could be wrong, but that’s how it reads.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 16, 2018

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Tapedump posted:

To be clear, Kafka, do you mean GeForce NOW, the “game rental service” or actual streaming of your titles from your gaming PC to the Shield?

You mentioned both NOW and Steam cloud.

I read as GeForce NOW games saving to you (Nvidia) Store account, with Steam Cloud saves a different animal. I could be wrong, but that’s how it reads.

I just got it to work. GeForce Now installs the steam game from inside steam but you have to launch it from the GeForce now games menu for it to save your games to the GeForce cloud.

This is the GeForce now service which was just updated to allow you to install your steam or Uplay games and run them using the GeForce Now computers, not your own hardware.

It's really awesome actually.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Shield TV with remote is supposed to be $139 at Amazon later today, I think. That's 40 bucks off.

That's according to this CNET article detailing upcoming Prime Day deals.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah and it'll probably be an extra $40 in Canada due to magical reasons. When you search it right now its not even the first thing that comes up, its some cheapo china android box. gently caress me out

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Hahaha it's like $360 in Australia get hosed.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm using a couple of Shields with a Harmony, but I'm thinking about picking up another Shield for a bedroom, but I don't really want to invest in a Harmony as well.

Anyone using Kodi on their Shield with just the Shield remote? Hows the experience?

On a related note, anyone come up with a way to do voice input on a Shield when not using the Shield remote? Like...would a USB mic work?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Thermopyle posted:

I'm using a couple of Shields with a Harmony, but I'm thinking about picking up another Shield for a bedroom, but I don't really want to invest in a Harmony as well.

Anyone using Kodi on their Shield with just the Shield remote? Hows the experience?

On a related note, anyone come up with a way to do voice input on a Shield when not using the Shield remote? Like...would a USB mic work?

Curious about the answer to this. The only way a Shield eventually ends up replacing our Xbone is if my wife gets frictionless ambient voice commands.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Thermopyle posted:

Im using a mi box with hdmi cec and its working fine with my stock samsung remote.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Im using a mi box with hdmi cec and its working fine with my stock samsung remote.

I assume the stock samsung remote has more buttons than the shield remote.

But then again, maybe not many of them map to useful Kodi functions.

One of the things I worry about is being able to access the context menu.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Thermopyle posted:

I assume the stock samsung remote has more buttons than the shield remote.

But then again, maybe not many of them map to useful Kodi functions.

One of the things I worry about is being able to access the context menu.

Ill see if any of the buttons do it tonight. It does all the day to day stuff we need though.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Amazon Prime Day Shield deal is live, 6% claimed as of this post.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RXV2V...9587010701&th=1

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Variable 5 posted:

Amazon Prime Day Shield deal is live, 6% claimed as of this post.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RXV2V...9587010701&th=1

Thanks for the heads up.

Just ordered. 15% claimed as of right now.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Ive been too lazy to setup a Harmony in the bedroom, so I’ve been using the Shield remote forever. Context menu is available through a long press of center button.

What I miss is one button/click subtitles enable, and I have to use the TV’s remote for volume.

I’ve actually gotten so used to the responsiveness of the Shield remote that I’ve begun using it in the other rooms, despite having Harmonys available, though I still use them for volume and activity switching.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tapedump posted:

Ive been too lazy to setup a Harmony in the bedroom, so I’ve been using the Shield remote forever. Context menu is available through a long press of center button.

What I miss is one button/click subtitles enable, and I have to use the TV’s remote for volume.

I’ve actually gotten so used to the responsiveness of the Shield remote that I’ve begun using it in the other rooms, despite having Harmonys available, though I still use them for volume and activity switching.

That's good to hear. Thanks for responding, internet person!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
The lack of practical TV/Soundbar/AVR volume control with the Shield remote means in practice you will end up going back to your Harmony most of the time, or wishing you had one, in my experience.

Why so many "simple" remotes gently caress this up is beyond me. The Roku remote comes close (or at least the newer ones do) but even they omit a mute button, unless you have a Roku TV as opposed to an external Roku.

I'm aware the 2017 basic Shield has a remote with IR that can in theory control TV volume (via the touch slider that no one that isn't familiar with it will get, ever) but I had one and for this purpose it sucks.

It's ok overall but basically you'll be juggling remotes.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I like my harmony, but my TCL P6's remote has a "netflix" button on it, which means it's hard to stop my technologically challenged partner from picking it up. Problem is CEC doesn't work right on this tv, you can't disable the onboard speakers so every time you restart the tv, it cranks the tv's volume up to match whatever the receiver is set to. So back to using 2 remotes or the harmony.

I really wish Harmony had a decent template for modern TCLs but nobody seems to have uploaded one?

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

Ixian posted:

The lack of practical TV/Soundbar/AVR volume control with the Shield remote means in practice you will end up going back to your Harmony most of the time, or wishing you had one, in my experience.

It's ok overall but basically you'll be juggling remotes.

Shiled remote absolutely controls my Onkyo AVR, maybe I had to switch on the CEC slider in Settings but I don't remember.

It doesn't have a dedicated mute button and some may not like the slide control but I never pick up my TV remote nore do I wish for a Harmony.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
My wife absolutely hates the Shield remote, and wishes it had the generic WMC remotes that we use for the Pi media players and the HTPC. Less is certainly not more. Is there a good/seamless way to use something simple like a Harmony 350 IR with the Shield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

PitViper posted:

My wife absolutely hates the Shield remote, and wishes it had the generic WMC remotes that we use for the Pi media players and the HTPC. Less is certainly not more. Is there a good/seamless way to use something simple like a Harmony 350 IR with the Shield?

https://flirc.tv/

Still the gold standard for this kind of use case.

For Shield models that still have IR receivers there are profiles for Harmony as well, though I've found Flirc is easier in the long run and also offers far more customization options.

Edit: And Harmony Hubs can control Shields via wifi/BT but you mentioned the IR Harmony specifically.