Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Please tell me more about pins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
So a company apparently saw how well pinny arcade was doing and decided to try and replicate it at Origins and Gen Con and possibly other conventions starting this year. Origins, in classic fashion, did no marketing for it and people only learned it was a thing at most 2 days before the con.

The pins have to be unique between conventions. Vendors are not allowed to submit a design more than once, so if they had a pin at origins and are going to have one at gen con the design has to be different.

The pins are recommended to sell for $10 each. Vendors at origins were selling them for between $6 and $12 each. Apparently a few vendors sold out, they are getting us more numbers.

A lot of the pins at origins looked like garbage online but ok in person. Below is a pic of the one I picked up. The gen con ones so far are looking better. I am going to have a bee pin for my game available. I had 250 of them made but might get an extra 100 done depending what they tell us about the origins sales.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
is that an emoji of con poops on the bottom left?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
It's a pokemon. Which makes me wonder how many of the pins are actually copyright/trademark infringement.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

That meeple pin is super disappointing and ugly.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Slimy Hog posted:

That meeple pin is super disappointing and ugly.

It's the only one pictured that I would not have immediately thrown out. :shrug:

I would have thrown it out the next day.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's the only one pictured that I would not have immediately thrown out. :shrug:

I would have thrown it out the next day.

On mobile it looks fine, but on desktop it looks like garbage.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
There was a preview page for origins pins right? How far in advance did it go up?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The origins pins went up literally 2 days before the convention. In the email they just sent us today about the Gen Con ones it's supposed to go up next week. Hopefully they hold true to that.

That one pin is a pokemon? I just got it because it looked like a disgruntled slime.

There are going to be twice as many pins at Gen Con and so far almost all of them look better than the Origins ones. One of the official Origins pins literally looked like 5 pieces of poop laid out in a pattern (it was supposed to be a pawprint from their mascot).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What I’m learning from this page is that Origins is a big pile of poo poo

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Gen Con. The one, true, con.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

This.

Also, I really don't like pins and pin collecting. That's not Origins related, just me sighing at their inclusion into every convention out there because the Penny Arcade guys go to Disney Land all the time and started to take notes.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Oh it's like a whole thing? That's lame.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

This.

Also, I really don't like pins and pin collecting. That's not Origins related, just me sighing at their inclusion into every convention out there because the Penny Arcade guys go to Disney Land all the time and started to take notes.

I kind of like it but I wish I didn't. My collecting personality just kind of latched on. I'm definitely not a super fan of it though. The binders of pins some people had at PAXU last year was scary. I am hoping it catches on a little bit this year just because I need to sell all these pins to cover my booth costs and stuff so its totally a selfish goal even though I enjoy the collecting at least somewhat myself.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I don't care about pin collecting, but i'll buy nesbit's pin cause it looks cool, and i'll probably buy a train game pin if there is one. Maybe a Root pin.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

nesbit37 posted:

That one pin is a pokemon? I just got it because it looked like a disgruntled slime.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's a thing Disney started and people go crazy about it. Pin collecting is kind of a late stage of capitalism trend where people are spending hundreds of dollars for a pin that has a tiny piece of a Disney ride in it. It's in the same vein as Funkos but usually better looking, designed, and cheaper.

Fellis posted:

I don't care about pin collecting, but i'll buy nesbit's pin cause it looks cool, and i'll probably buy a train game pin if there is one. Maybe a Root pin.

I'll buy Nesbit's pin because it looked cool and I have to have something to remember this forum.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I believe Pin Collecting/Trading predates the Disney stuff quite a bit because the Olympics made it a thing around WWII.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Pins have been a thing for decades even in national parks and such

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

emdash posted:

Pins have been a thing for decades even in national parks and such

Yup I always buy one or two at each park. They look nice and support a good cause.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That is true, I forgot about the Olympics and national parks. NASA also has pins for all the missions too.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Pins are for suckers. :colbert:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Funny, I've always liked getting random pins and sticking them on my messenger bag. I didn't realize that it had become a fad.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Haystack posted:

Funny, I've always liked getting random pins and sticking them on my messenger bag. I didn't realize that it had become a fad.

Me either. Sounds like its been a fad for around a century though. Can something still be considered a fad if its that old or is it just a thing, now?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

nesbit37 posted:

Me either. Sounds like its been a fad for around a century though. Can something still be considered a fad if its that old or is it just a thing, now?

Fedoras?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Fedoras?

Utilikilts?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
For those interested, post on the sexual harassment at Origins.

https://katiesgamecorner.com/2018/06/20/the-truth-about-sexual-harrassment-and-boardgaming/

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

If you haven't gotten your 4-day ticket yet, they only have 10% of their total allotment left. Probably time to do so.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I feel like there was a goon last year that ran Paranoia stuff. Are they doing it again this year and is there an event for it or is it more casual than that?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

They cater to different gamers. In years past, Origins is where the Grognards go to play all the wargames. You will find entire rooms filled with a map of the world and some 90 year olds pushing piles of chits from the Austrailia table over to the Africa table. WotC also has taken Origins as their premier con now 5e D&D to mirror Paizo taking GenCon as theirs for Pathfinder/Starfinder. GenCon is more generalist boardgaming funtimes. Origins is more hardcore nards talking WW2 with non-stop beard stroking.

Maybe Origins is turning into a more generalized con these days? I didn't make this years, but I wanted to really go last year to check out a lot of new wargames that premiered there.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 6, 2018

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Philthy posted:

They cater to different gamers. In years past, Origins is where the Grognards go to play all the wargames. You will find entire rooms filled with a map of the world and some 90 year olds pushing piles of chits from the Austrailia table over to the Africa table. WotC also has taken Origins as their premier con now 5e D&D to mirror Paizo taking GenCon as theirs for Pathfinder/Starfinder. GenCon is more generalist boardgaming funtimes. Origins is more hardcore nards talking WW2 with non-stop beard stroking.

Maybe Origins is turning into a more generalized con these days? I didn't make this years, but I wanted to really go last year to check out a lot of new wargames that premiered there.

Not my Origins experience at all, at least not in the past decade or so. It’s very much a generalist board game con. The Board Games Library area is always packed and they sold out of ribbons for it the past 2 years. There’s a very strong rpg presence, heavy on D&D (although I don’t think WotC is there personally - they have another group running their events) and there’s a lot of Path/Starfinder. There is a healthy “Puffing Billy” track for Oldbeards to play train games, and a lot of military themed seminars. But I haven’t seen any large presence of wargame stuff aside from a couple vendors who seem to specialize in it. And there’s definitely not much at all in the way of miniatures games, historical or otherwise.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

head58 posted:

Not my Origins experience at all, at least not in the past decade or so. It’s very much a generalist board game con. The Board Games Library area is always packed and they sold out of ribbons for it the past 2 years. There’s a very strong rpg presence, heavy on D&D (although I don’t think WotC is there personally - they have another group running their events) and there’s a lot of Path/Starfinder. There is a healthy “Puffing Billy” track for Oldbeards to play train games, and a lot of military themed seminars. But I haven’t seen any large presence of wargame stuff aside from a couple vendors who seem to specialize in it. And there’s definitely not much at all in the way of miniatures games, historical or otherwise.

Yeah, over the last several years Origins has been very much a general board gaming / tabletop rpg con. Its also been blowing up in size every year along with the hobby while still being ran by the same people that were already a chaotic whirlwind of random acts of management when it was only half the size it is now. I wouldn't automatically assume malice behind bad policy implementation as much as amateurs in over their heads.

That said, I had a hell of a good time again this year and the lower financial barrier to entry (versus something like GenCon) made it easy to rope in a bunch of relative newcomers to the hobby for their first Con experience.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I can't find any info on where to buy tickets for the Anita Sarkeesian panel. Am I just looking in the wrong places or are they not on sale yet?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

mkultra419 posted:

Yeah, over the last several years Origins has been very much a general board gaming / tabletop rpg con. Its also been blowing up in size every year along with the hobby while still being ran by the same people that were already a chaotic whirlwind of random acts of management when it was only half the size it is now. I wouldn't automatically assume malice behind bad policy implementation as much as amateurs in over their heads.

Agreed. As much as I love Origins it’s a logistical shitshow. A friend refers to it as “very much a regional con.” The past 3 or 4 years have had the same problems with event registration crashing on go-live day, the website looks like it should be on Angelfire and there are always last minute moves or changes that don’t get communicated well. They’ve gotten a little better every year but it always feels like this is the first time they’ve tried something of this scale.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Philthy posted:

I was just making a joke about all the poop talk

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Some friends and I are looking at going to Origins next year instead of Gen Con just because it's much cheaper to go. It's just on the edge of driving range though, to the point where it might be easier to just fly in.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I mostly play Pathfinder and browse the dealer hall now, but I just went to Origins and my favorite standout thing is the Indies on Demand room, where they do Indie RPGs all the time. It's a ton of fun and you can get in on some really interesting 4 hour games. My friend and I got to play Dogs inthe Vineyard where you essentially play Mormon wandering sheriffs in a post- Civil War Utah with supernatural occurrences, it was so much fun.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I can't find any info on where to buy tickets for the Anita Sarkeesian panel. Am I just looking in the wrong places or are they not on sale yet?
They must be, my wife already scored a couple for us. It's Thursday night from 8:00-9:00 PM, if that helps you find it in the schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Badge and event tickets arrived in the mail today, guess I really am going to gencon :toot: