Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
A restaurant owner murders a horse

Or a sub 15 Ixion without a blink using hastega instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Fister Roboto posted:

Bwah ha ha! Your weapons tickle!

Much better when he's not doing it EVERY SINGLE TIME you hit him.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

A restaurant owner murders a horse

Or a sub 15 Ixion without a blink using hastega instead.

Let's see if I can duplicate that...

OK pUSB? Check.
OK LMR? No check.
Tifa LMR? No check.
Tifa USB2? No check.
Tifa AOSB? No check.
Bartz...anything useful? No check.
Elarra USB? No check.

So I'm...part of the way there.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pander posted:

Let's see if I can duplicate that...

OK pUSB? Check.
OK LMR? No check.
Tifa LMR? No check.
Tifa USB2? No check.
Tifa AOSB? No check.
Bartz...anything useful? No check.
Elarra USB? No check.

So I'm...part of the way there.

Ramza BSB2 or Galuf Chain (when it's released) can fit in for OK pUSB, though naturally it'll be a bit slower without the instant-cast (Ramza would be the entrustbot in that case, instead of Shelke). TGC USB works in place of Tifa USB2 or Bartz; you lose a bit of entry damage and enearth, but you gain in thirstycasting Earth Sabers instead of Gaia Rushes. The AOSB and USB are mostly for speed-clear purposes, I figure.

My Ixion team consists of TGC, Bartz (with BSB/USB), Yuffie (with her SSB and the earth ninja skills), Arc (for his blink medica SSB), and Ramza. It's not quite as clean as this but I feel like I could make it consistent now with a source of Hastega on a skill. Maybe use Ovelia, for her undispellable RES +100% on her USB.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

MarquiseMindfang posted:

So is it best to farm one element until you max it and then move onto the next?
For 3* fights I would try to power through them to get to 4* fights. The 4* magicite drops are so much better in my mind that I wouldn't bother farming 3*s unless necessary.

Then for 4* farming go with Katarani's advice

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

iPodschun posted:

For 3* fights I would try to power through them to get to 4* fights. The 4* magicite drops are so much better in my mind that I wouldn't bother farming 3*s unless necessary.

Then for 4* farming go with Katarani's advice

I agree with this. Do the bare minimum 3* fights until you can beat a 4* then farm the crap out of that one. Like ceaselessfuture said, the passive bonuses from 4* magicites are insane. Way better than I ever expected the to be. The best part for me is using them on non-magicite content like 220s and 260s and Crystal Towers. They help a TON.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I heard the jump in quality between 4* and 5* isn't nearly as great as the jump between 3* and 4*. How true is that?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

KPC_Mammon posted:

I heard the jump in quality between 4* and 5* isn't nearly as great as the jump between 3* and 4*. How true is that?
The 5* Empower and Dampen passive boosts are the same level as 4* but the other passives go a couple levels higher (eg Fast Act goes from 8 to 10, Blade Ward goes from 5 to 8). 5* do get two inheritance slots for more customization though.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Hey, I don't have Tifa's LMR and Bartz didn't even use a soul break

You can sub in any good healer for Elarra, Ixion dispels regenga anyway if you go without blinks. Tifa is the real deal but any other dps works too though I find it hard to believe anyone is stronger than Tifa at earth right now. That ASB chunks half of Ixion's health off by itself. It literally does 44,9 % of its health worth of damage and if I had Tifa's LMR I wouldn't even bother with the USB

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I mean, jumping into the conversation, maybe I can think about starting to do 4* magicites, but I didn't want to have to worry about them after rushing to clear the 3* ones - which were all fairly painless except for Hydra whom I now have actual tools for. I just farmed some Mom Bombs for a quick and easy Attack Boon, but I suppose with my Unicorn nearly maxed out on inheritance stats there's really nowhere to go but up in terms of obtaining new ones.

In that case, I don't know which one to go for first. Half of my offense for my brand new Gilgachain team is ranged (Locke with Ruby Spark and Balthier with Burning Snipe), so maybe Igsebind wouldn't be a gigantic issue like it has been for other people, and that is one of my best teams right now. I need to do more research into what Magicites are most doable for me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

iPodschun posted:

The 5* Empower and Dampen passive boosts are the same level as 4* but the other passives go a couple levels higher (eg Fast Act goes from 8 to 10, Blade Ward goes from 5 to 8). 5* do get two inheritance slots for more customization though.

Also all of their entry and periodic attacks are overstrikes.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm sitting here with 2 characters dedicated to healing and I still can't keep up with Ixion's damage output. Anytime I try to take time off of healing to do literally anything else (like cast hastega), I immediately eat poo poo. I don't get it and it's annoying because I'm pretty sure I have all the pieces to beat it

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

I'm sitting here with 2 characters dedicated to healing and I still can't keep up with Ixion's damage output. Anytime I try to take time off of healing to do literally anything else (like cast hastega), I immediately eat poo poo. I don't get it and it's annoying because I'm pretty sure I have all the pieces to beat it

You could bring breaks.

Does everyone have lightning resist?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

Who are your healers? And what other options do you have?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Also tell us about your dps. My Ixion run doesn't involve healers or chains.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Nihilarian posted:

My Ixion runs involve a lot of resets. I always have to wait for a run where he does NOT Savage Aerospark on turns 3 and 4. If that happens I'm gold. Otherwise I reset

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ixion is the one 4* fight where it's a good idea to play conservatively if you just want a clear, because it doesn't get significantly more dangerous as time goes on like the others. It doesn't even have an enrage at 60s, so you can just turtle up with a radiant shield and finish some time next year.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ixion is a good fight to end quickly so you don't have to deal with that rear end in a top hat any longer

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

KPC_Mammon posted:

You could bring breaks.

Does everyone have lightning resist?
I've tried breaks, and I use lightning resist, yes. The healer setup I was using there was Arc with his SSB2 and Onion Knight who starts healing immediately after using his bsb (I have his lmr as well)

For other boostgas I tried Josef with USB and earth monk abilities, and Minfilia with SSB and breaks. My best medica USB is Rosa; I've tried her, and also my fully dived Y'Shtola with BSB before

For DPS my most used are Tifa with USB1, OSB and enearth lmr and a dived Bartz with USB (also lmr and osb but I haven't used those yet). I've used TGCid with USB/LMR, and a dived Edge with SSB2 a couple times. I also have a dived Yuffie with USB1, Glint and LMR who I haven't tried yet.

EDIT: and I've used Shelke as an entruster a bunch

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 6, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You definitely don't need a second healer if you have Edge's SSB, and OK isn't a very good one anyway. Make OK an entrust bot for Edge and you could arguably do it with no healers, though that takes some practice.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

My Ixion runs involve a lot of resets. I always have to wait for a run where he does NOT Savage Aerospark on turns 3 and 4. If that happens I'm gold. Otherwise I reset

Turn 3 Savage Aerospark is forced unless you do enough damage to get him below 81% HP, so it might just be w-cast luck. Although if I'm reading the AI right, his other phases have no scripted actions, so he can just do it anyways to piss you off. I ended up with the opposite problem: I inherited Shell Dragon with +15 earth and suddenly I couldn't get past turn 5. Turned out that little bump made me consistently skip the spark and I needed that extra turn from blinking the aerospark to have enough gauge for Edge to be ready in time

Nihilarian posted:

For DPS my most used are Tifa with USB1, OSB and enearth lmr and a dived Bartz with USB (also lmr and osb but I haven't used those yet). I've used TGCid with USB/LMR, and a dived Edge with SSB2 a couple times. I also have a dived Yuffie with USB1, Glint and LMR who I haven't tried yet.

You've definitely got the tools for this. I would think a Last Stand strategy with Cid, Tifa, and Edge spamming abilities could work, but I've only ever done this fight magically so I might be talking out of my rear end.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Torments are kind of interesting I find, now that they are going away. Gonna try very hard to do them all since they all give mythril so stamina is no excuse

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Alright, managed Ixion at 56 seconds, thanks

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

phew

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Went back through the 3* magicites with all of the new stuff I grabbed in the last month or so and got all of them down to under 30 seconds except golem, but my golem strategy was to just power through with zack and cloud. If I used a magic team I should be able to get it under 30, I've got fujin's usb and bsb and just pulled ultimecia's squall like wind bsb. Decided to try some 4's and got Maliris to under 20 seconds (lol) once, consistently under 24, and was able to beat Ixion in 34 with just Cinque and Bartz. I'm all out of shards now though. In a week or two the shards go away correct?

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 7, 2018

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Edea's burst isn't like Squall's at all and it isn't wind, just FYI. It's like Maria's burst except ice instead of earth.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

McDragon posted:

Torments are kind of interesting I find, now that they are going away. Gonna try very hard to do them all since they all give mythril so stamina is no excuse

When they first came out they were a grind. I just finished the last couple of 250s/300s that I had remaining like a week ago and honestly they're fairly fun now I think. The bosses die fast as gently caress though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It may have been a mislabeling of Ultimecia whose burst DOES function similarly to a wind/dark magical Squall.

Andante
Jul 3, 2008
I picked up Seifer's dark chain during the fest, and my ice is terrible, so I decided to go for two pulls.

The first pull was 1/11 Ultimecia LMR. The second gave me Seifer's USB and BSB, so even though I missed the big prizes I'd still say that it went well overall.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I grinded up a ton of 4* ice magicite and then a bunch of 4* water magicite so I could put wind AND fire resist so that Jet Stream would stop kicking my teeth in every time. I then got a consistent clear on this a-hole and experimented until I got this clear, using
Laguna, USB, spamming ice machinist skills
Sora, USB, spamming SSS
OK BSB (worked better than the pUSB due to Tiamat's stat-debuffing gimmick)
Relm USB
Squall BSB (lifesiphon until BSB)

I was using Shelke to entrust along with OK but even with Relm slamming her USB every turn, it just didn't add up fast enough. Laguna's imperil helps compensate if Tiamat drains someone's strength, and OK just focuses on feeding Relm gauge. Squall's BSB with double cast and instant cast is crazy.

That's water, fire, ice and Wind 4* all down to sub 30. Building a solid deck of 4* magicite does make a big difference. Also having a ton of USBS. That helps too.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Hogama posted:

It may have been a mislabeling of Ultimecia whose burst DOES function similarly to a wind/dark magical Squall.

Yea it's ultimecia. Ff8 is the only one I didn't play so one witch lady is the same as the other, my bad.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 7, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

When do old torments go away?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea it's ultimecia. Ff8 is the only one I didn't play so one which lady is the same as the other, my bad.
it's ok, Edea actually is Ultimecia for like half the game

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MF_James posted:

When do old torments go away?

The 11th, coinciding with the release of the first new torment (FFT, with Queklain Cu Chulainn).

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

KataraniSword posted:

The 11th, coinciding with the release of the first new torment (FFT, with Queklain Cu Chulainn).

Ok cool, I can actually clear them with all the good stuff I got from fest, really getting 5* motes to LD TGC and Vivi and a ton of crystals to hone meltdown and SSS a bit did it, haven't even finished all the nightmare bosses yet; mostly because they are annoying more than anything.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I would not have made it through that D300 Ruby Dragon if Lowen Roar weren't so freaking good. Being able to RW it on two characters was a godsend.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Are breaks worth it in the current torments? It seems like they get pretty resisted, but I'm not totally sure since I'm playing somewhat cautiously and trying to one-shot all of them.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Breaks are good for pretty much everything except most magicites. If your dps/healing is really good maybe you could get away without them, but even with resists they still cut down the damage by a significant amount.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Breaks are good for pretty much everything except most magicites. If your dps/healing is really good maybe you could get away without them, but even with resists they still cut down the damage by a significant amount.

Ok, that's what I figured, it seems like damage increase is in the 10-20% range, seemed like that alone was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

So now that fest is winding down, I've gone through and made all my AA selections. Upon some review I decided that I was pretty much set for all the available elemental boosts from book 2, and that over half of the list for book 9 was dupes with nothing I really needed from what was left except maybe Meia burst for some magical water. That allowed me to do this:

Unless I'm mistaken, I do believe that is a complete Minwu. (LMR not pictured, but I do have it.) The BSB2 might even come in handy if I can feed him enough bars, since his offensive USB doesn't come with enholy.