Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

This is such whiny bullshit. There's no law that mandates you need to have a twitter. Its literally entirely on you to run one. Furthermore, why the gently caress is she venting in a public space if she doesn't want anyone to actually respond to her? Just keep it to yourself and your close threads. Throwing this stuff out into the open and then complaining that people respond to it is baffling.

Social media has broken people's brains with regard to who they are actually talking to. See also the airplane couple story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

MMOs can be fun in small doses IMO, but I've never really been able to get into MMO endgame treadmills, at least not since high school and that was a long time ago.

Like I'm probably going to jump back into WoW and gently caress around for a bit when the new expansion hits because leveling through expansion zones once or twice is generally pretty fun, as is running some dungeons with people. But I'll probably burn out after a month, maybe two if it's really really good, and that's fine by me.

The thing is it's entirely possible to make an MMO that doesn't have grindy treadmill endgame gameplay and doesn't play at all like WoW, but every idiot developer decides to make that a thing anyway. It sucks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its the year 2018 and the only MMO I've ever played that had some interesting quests was loving RUNESCAPE.

The entire genre is a waste. Its tiny bits of fun scattered in a sea of grindy bullshit designed to trick players into thinking they are doing something worthwhile. Even though 99% of the time what you are doing has no real skill involved and its just a timesink.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ffxiv is cool but I can't possibly recommend it to anyone because you have to play the equivalent of 4 back to back full-length JRPGs to get to the endgame. Most of that content is fairly fun but it's something like 150 hours to be ready to do max level content which is just inexcusable

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wildstar yeah!!

lmao

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 6, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On top of all this I'm fascinated by Square-Enix's PR manager weighing in to let everyone know what a shithead ArenaNet's president is:

https://twitter.com/lukekarmali/status/1015294317055922177

Internet Kraken posted:

This is such whiny bullshit. There's no law that mandates you need to have a twitter. Its literally entirely on you to run one. Furthermore, why the gently caress is she venting in a public space if she doesn't want anyone to actually respond to her? Just keep it to yourself and your close friends. Throwing this stuff out into the open and then complaining that people respond to it is baffling.

Under normal circumstances I'd agree with the tweet you're responding to, but not in this one. Price tweeted a small thread that expanded on something she'd discussed in an AMA on Reddit. I can't blame anyone for seeing that as an invitation to continue the discussion.

That's not to say that the dude she yelled at did nothing wrong. While I think his initial tweet to her seemed really innocuous in a vacuum, the couple of tweets of his that people have called "apologies" really aren't. They're "I'm sorry you were offended"-style non-apologies that make him come off a little Boogie2988-like ("I was just being nice and having a conversation, I'm sorry that you were offended by me being a nice guy, I am clearly in the wrong for being nice" kind of poo poo).

If there's really some behind-the-scenes poo poo that made firing her and Peter Fries justified like Sunning speculated, then okay, sure, but if there isn't, there's no way firing both of them was justified just for this one Twitter exchange.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Its the year 2018 and the only MMO I've ever played that had some interesting quests was loving RUNESCAPE.

The entire genre is a waste. Its tiny bits of fun scattered in a sea of grindy bullshit designed to trick players into thinking they are doing something worthwhile. Even though 99% of the time what you are doing has no real skill involved and its just a timesink.

DFO dammit!!

DFO is good!!!!!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It’s kinda loving me up how many people are going all “well actually she shouldn’t have” about the woman who lost her job because of a mob of angry gamers

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

ffxiv is cool but I can't possibly recommend it to anyone because you have to play the equivalent of 4 back to back full-length JRPGs to get to the endgame. Most of that content is fairly fun but it's something like 150 hours to be ready to do max level content which is just inexcusable

Yeah but you can just pay extra money to buy a potion that skips you to max level!

I feel like when people are genuinely recommending you pay more money to skip content something has gone terribly wrong in game design.

FirstAidKite posted:

DFO dammit!!

DFO is good!!!!!

I don't even know what that is!

an actual dog posted:

It’s kinda loving me up how many people are going all “well actually she shouldn’t have” about the woman who lost her job because of a mob of angry gamers

Its really not because she lost her job for something entirely on her head. Like it or not, if you attach an online account to your real life identity, you need to maintain decorum just like you would with a real job. This is the equivalent of melting down and screaming at a customer as far as the PR manager is concerned.

I'd sympathize more with her if she was in a position that mandated this interaction...but she's not. She didn't have to say any of this. She just wanted to vent, which is fine, but why the gently caress are you venting in a highly visible public space if you don't want responses? It makes no drat sense. You don't have to tweet everything.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 6, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I literally cannot see the appeal of twitter

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

an actual dog posted:

I don't think her being a woman had anything to do with it this time tbh. if anything it should be framed as a workers rights issue, if they were unionized she'd still have her job

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

FirstAidKite posted:

Wildstar yeah!!

lmao

Also there is an archived mock thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744367

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't even know what that is!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

The thing is it's entirely possible to make an MMO that doesn't have grindy treadmill endgame gameplay and doesn't play at all like WoW, but every idiot developer decides to make that a thing anyway. It sucks.

That was the intention behind Guild Wars 2. To its credit, GW2 does lack an endgame treadmill, and its combat is very different from WoW. It legitimately does things differently. Even the way the game implemented mounts is different from every other MMO--they're almost like unlocking new movement abilities in a Metroidvania game in how they let you get around in different ways.

The problem is that, as good as ArenaNet appears to be at designing systems like that, they are garbage at making game content, and the game's cash shop utterly destroys the in-game reward structure. Even with the addition of raids, the PvE content pipeline is extremely slow and most of the time it's a few story quests with a boring open-world map attached to it that ends up playing like every other map (run with the zerg and do public events to get gold). Most of their art assets go into making things for the cash shop, which really takes the wind out of the "cosmetics are the endgame" sails, and they apparently hosed up their armor rigging system so badly that it's a nightmare to make any new armor skins if they aren't full-body outfits (which are cash shop-exclusive). Even now that they have all these cool mounts and are releasing cool mount skins, those are also cash shop exclusive. If you actually play the game the best you can hope to do is grind thousands of gold to make a legendary weapon, grind for the occasional weapon skin, or grind for gold to turn into gems to buy cash shop things.

Basically: ArenaNet almost pulled off what you're talking about, then hosed it up in many, many ways after that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

an actual dog posted:

I think anet is pretty clearly in the wrong based on what's available. Social media just also tends to make people so dumb things (which does not remotely justify her being harassed or fired).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

homeless snail posted:

I don't think her being a woman had anything to do with it this time tbh. if anything it should be framed as a workers rights issue, if they were unionized she'd still have her job

:same: :yeah: :supaburn:

Also her being a woman probably contributed to gut reactions of assertiveness vs. bitchiness while making the Redditors perceive her as more easily attackable and her employers perceive her as more expendable

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Sometimes I get to have brief conversations on Twitter with writers I admire so that's justification enough for my own account

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

Presumably people want to scream and yell and then have people pat them on the back and say they are completely right.

I mean positive reinforcement is nice but if that's all you want that is what friends and family are for. I don't know why anyone thinks they can ever do the equivalent of shouting into a crowd and not get dissenting voices involved.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

homeless snail posted:

it absolutely is a worker's rights issue but lol if you think this isn't about her being a woman who stands up for herself

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

I tried DFO and they should have let me see this rad poo poo sooner

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

an actual dog posted:

it absolutely is a worker's rights issue but lol if you think this isn't about her being a woman who stands up for herself

Her being a woman is definitely what caused to blow up into a bigger issue but the entire situation still could of been prevented if she didn't use her public social media platform as a place to vent.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Cowcaster posted:

man i'm just so tired of all these guild wars

Canonically, the people in the game's story got tired of Guild Wars and banned them.

lets hang out posted:

Kamiya's one of the founders of his company. Might be a little different if some random platinum employee got into it on Twitter.

He's also Platinum's Vice President. Kamiya's in charge of working with business partners and nurturing young talent.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

an actual dog posted:

I'm confidant if she was a dude all those reactionaries would have stayed in bed.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah but you can just pay extra money to buy a potion that skips you to max level!

I feel like when people are genuinely recommending you pay more money to skip content something has gone terribly wrong in game design.
I'd never recommend someone pay for the skip, cause if you did you would have zero clue what the heck is going on in the story right now

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Don't be in a hurry. The end-game of FFXIV is sucky MMO bullshit anyway. Leveling through the main story and then leveling other jobs is where it's at.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I feel worse for the guy who was fired if anything. But that's not as good as a story I guess.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Internet Kraken posted:

Her being a woman is definitely what caused to blow up into a bigger issue but the entire situation still could of been prevented if she didn't use her public social media platform as a place to vent.

Or if gamers as a whole weren't so fragile that they can't handle someone else being told to gently caress off by a lady

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If companies don't want to deal with their game designers not being ideal public faces of the company, they should hire a real PR person and then make it company policy for designers not to interact with fans. If interacting with fans in a snippy way is a firable offense then the bare minimum of effort should be done to prevent it.

I definitely agree it's a worker's rights thing at least, in addition to any gender issues involved.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes, because the solution to harassment is for the victims of harassment to police their own behavior and hope that the harassers don't find even the tiniest excuse to justify their actions, this is a strong argument that holds up

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

"i can't see the appeal of twitter", said the person posting on an internet forum in the year of our lord 2018

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

I really don't see the issue about her posts! They're just loving posts!!!!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

I feel worse for the guy who was fired if anything. But that's not as good as a story I guess.

Currently the line on the GW2 subreddit seems to be, "Peter Fries is a cool guy and has always been nice and respectful to us, but he implied that an internet guy who ArenaNet likes is a misogynist so I guess he has to go"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

"i can't see the appeal of twitter", said the person posting on an internet forum in the year of our lord 2018

I see the appeal of internet forums!!!

I also see the appeal of discord. Basically, unsorted discussion or discussion sorted by person seem way way worse than discussion sorted by topic

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'd like to think anet would be just as lovely if a dude posted a weird twitter tirade. the capitalists freaking out "this person is not Represting Our Brand!!" because brands are worth more than people in our system

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

both suck equally you piece of poo poo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes, because the solution to harassment is for the victims of harassment to police their own behavior, this is a strong argument that holds up

She was not harassed. She posted a public vent about writing in video games, on a public social media platform, and got responses to it. Then she got pissed off at the responses because she was sick of people telling her how to do her job without them knowing a drat thing. Its understandable why that would be frustrating but she posted a rant in a public space. This is the equivalent of loudly yelling about something on the job and expecting people not to respond to it.

It doesn't make any drat sense. If you don't want to deal with people responding to you then...don't loving tweet it!

an actual dog posted:

I really don't see the issue about her posts! They're just loving posts!!!!

Telling an active community member to gently caress off for responding to your rant is not a good look.

EDIT: This is why twitter is stupid. Its simultaneously treated as a private internet space and a place for public discourse. People stop trying to separate these two things and you end up with this.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

ANet did it to capitulate to a bunch of whiners on the internet that threatened their revenue stream. The whiners on the internet threatened their revenue stream because a woman that works for ANet said a dude was sexist on the internet.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

She was not harassed.

This is not the case, her entire social media history was combed over by reddit, emailled to her boss, creating a campaign to get her fired.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

It turns out if you fire and hire people based on the baying of sexist assholes on the internet that you're going to end up promoting a sexist agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Telling an active community member to gently caress off for responding to your rant is not a good look.

EDIT: This is why twitter is stupid. Its simultaneously treated as a private internet space and a place for public discourse. People stop trying to separate these two things and you end up with this.

you seem fun and normal

• Locked thread