Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Unionize or Die.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

Blame gamergate but the real problem is at-will employment laws.

"Under most circumstances, Washington is an at-will state, which means that either the employer or the employee can end the employment relationship at any time, with or without notice and with our without cause."

people get fired for dumber poo poo all the time. I've seen it in my own job. This one was way more justified than so many other firings, and you can't do poo poo about it unless you can prove your employer discrimated, which good luck lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

A situation can be caused by multiple problems!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

There's zero reason to split things up like this unless you want to give legitimacy to what happened.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So a bug in the system let people pull real player numbers from Steam's API. This shows the number of people who have ever launched all games that have achievements. This is the closest thing we'll probably ever have to a broad view of overall Steam sales numbers:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/07/steam-data-leak-reveals-precise-player-count-for-thousands-of-games/

There's a link to a csv file with the whole list. Go find your favorites and marvel at how little they've sold!

Edit: Link to the file: http://www.arstechnica.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/games_achievements_players_2018-07-01.csv

mutata fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 6, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

mutata posted:

So a bug in the system let people pull real player numbers from Steam's API. This shows the number of people who have ever launched all games that have achievements. This is the closest thing we'll probably ever have to a broad view of overall Steam sales numbers:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/07/steam-data-leak-reveals-precise-player-count-for-thousands-of-games/

There's a link to a csv file with the whole list. Go find your favorites and marvel at how little they've sold!

Look up Lawbreakers please

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

al-azad posted:

code:
LawBreakers," 674,335 "

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Does that include people who played during the free beta periods/weekends?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That beat Battleborn's 492,052!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Relax Or DIE posted:

Does that include people who played during the free beta periods/weekends?

Presumably yes. It's the total number of people who launched the steam app, whether they paid for it or not.

Edit: Protip, Notepad++ handles the list better than notepad.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

al-azad posted:

It's just below Frostpunk at 674,335 estimated players.

It's on the second page of the Ars article, peep it for yourself

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mutata posted:

Edit: Link to the file: http://www.arstechnica.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/games_achievements_players_2018-07-01.csv

This is cool

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Best practices is to open .csv files in Excel/Sheets

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mutata posted:

Some of these top games are going to have skewed numbers as well due to free to play weekends or going free to play period. I wonder how these numbers match up to their console counterparts because I have a feeling they pale in comparison.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Steam claims they are launching their own steamspy like service soon

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, keep in mind that the list wont take into account free weekends or games that switched from paid to F2P, the list just reports that single stat: accounts that launched the steam app.

code:
"Euro Truck Simulator 2     5,982,548"
code:
Factorio," 1,706,659 
BRINK," 1,700,604

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hollow Knight is just shy of one million players. Ya'll need to fix that.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

code:
Brigador: Up-Armored Edition," 94,477
Tacoma," 76,114 
Tastes Where the WaterLike Wine," 9,061 "
Ouch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

2x as many people bought Hitman Absolution than Hitman (2016) :eng99:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Andrast posted:

having your SA name be your actual name

well, poo poo

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

I would expect that to be higher tbh

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

absolution was in bundles I think

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Where's dota2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Where's dota2

it doesn't have achievements

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hitman 2016 flopped bigly on pc probably due to the terrible episodic release and messaging around that

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Also the always online thing never helps

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh, also many of these games are crossplatform and could be tearing rear end on Switch even if PC numbers look garbage or whatever. Just be wary of the numbers, but it's still the best snapshot of the PC games industry we'll ever get.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Going through the low end of the list is like falling into some bizarro dimension filled with games featured on episodes of CSI.

On the other hand, the top end has a game called Unturned which I've never heard of until now?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a good confirmation that the gaming public writ large, on PC, absolutely loves free to play games with loot boxes

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I'm glad I work a job with a good union.

very much same

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://store.steampowered.com/app/304930/Unturned/

?????????

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Going through the low end of the list is like falling into some bizarro dimension filled with games featured on episodes of CSI.

On the other hand, the top end has a game called Unturned which I've never heard of until now?
unturned was made by some 16 year old that got his start making roblox mods, making his own f2p version of dayz that was way better than the real thing. feel good story of the whatever year it came out

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

hell yea!!! PC gaming!!!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

It's a good confirmation that the gaming public writ large, on PC, absolutely loves free to play games with loot boxes

Maybe it's a sign that it's time to give up on video games and try to start having a life.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

chumbler posted:

Maybe it's a sign that it's time to give up on video games and try to start having a life.

nah octopath traveler comes out next week

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That's 8 lives right there

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

chumbler posted:

Agreed.

*boots up animal crossing*

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zestiria has been opened by twice as many people as Berseria.

Ys VIII has only been opened by under 9000 people. Next lowest Ys game is SEVEN at 11,500. I can't seem to find Origins. Also hi to the 34 developers that have opened Celceta before it's PC launch.

I ordered it by name and I look up and see that Youtubers Life has been opened by more people than everything I've mentioned combined (and including the Ys games I didn't mention).

This is fun.

Chrono Trigger has 20,000 people. Lowest open numbers for the listed final fantasy games is The After Years, even under final fantasy V. The highest is still FFVII (XV has about half a million). XIII is the second highest.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 6, 2018

Bill Buckner
Aug 14, 2005

Phantasium posted:

Zestiria has been opened by twice as many people as Berseria.

That's a shame, I thought Berseria was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHekNlNB0A0&t=789s

• Locked thread