Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Me too. I get laughed at for rooting still but the hidden SystemUI feature of adjusting the brightness by sliding your finger left or right over the status bar is a godsend

i used that too but these days i only change the screen brightness maybe 4 or 5 times a day so it's not really a huge deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

redgubbinz posted:

Strange, I have a new Nokia 6.1 as well and haven't come across any of those issues.

I'm glad yours is good. I wanna like it. It's a tad bigger than I wanted and not astronomically faster than my Nexus 5x, but it seems like a solid phone for a good price.

I got a couple of weeks, so I'll think about return vs exchange vs getting something different. I'm happy with Amazon returns, so would prefer to go through them then trying to get warranty service from Nokia.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Jesus, what happened? My S7 was pretty nice, especially with Nougat.

I was perfectly happy with mine until Oreo came along. It's so unbelievably sluggish with everything I do now. I'm going to have to wait for the Pixel 3 though because there's nothing out there that's remotely compelling.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

I encountered a problem when storing photos on an SD card, if this isn't really the right place to ask then let me know (and suggest where I should if you know)

I switched camera storage to an SD card on my Moto G4 phone the other day, and started taking photos normally. I looked at them afterwards on the phone and everything was fine, but as I started to take more photos, most of the ones I had previously taken suddenly seemed to go wrong. In the gallery they're not "gone" but instead of the thumbnail there's just a grey box, and if I tap any of them to try and open the picture in full I get a black screen with a spinning white circle in the middle.

I guess they are somehow corrupted due to a lovely cheap SD card or something. My question is if there is anything I can try to do to recover the images? I've copied them all to my laptop and while some of them show as 0 bytes, some have a proper file size I would expect of a regular photo. And as I said, they did exist at one point (briefly) as correctly saved photos.

I have googled this but it's a bit hard to find the right information because lots of people have all sorts of slightly different issues revolving around this. I know there are recovery programs out there but the ones I've looked at so far seem to be more like "bring back stuff I deleted plz" and not "fix my hosed up files"

I'm guessing you don't use Google Photos?

If not you've learned two lessons: Always back up and never use SD cards.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Uthor posted:

I'm having issues with my new Nokia 6.1 and am thinking about returning it, maybe getting a Pixel 2 if it's on sale (RIP, headphone jack).

The biggest problem is that I can barely hear anything through the earpiece even at max volume. Took my a few days to notice it out as I usually use speakerphone, my earbuds, or bluetooth in the car. Usually it's not a big deal, but I had to call 911 to aid a fallen cyclist yesterday and that was pretty bad.

I'm having two recurring issues with the camera. Sometimes I'll quick launch it (double tap the power button) and it will basically lock up for a few seconds, not letting me do anything. I've also had more than a few shots that I've lined up, everything looked good, and the resulting image came out super underexposed. That's only the first image I try (when it happens), and subsequent images are fine.

I get random hangups where the phone won't respond to anything for 5-10 seconds. I won't be doing anything unusual when that happens. A couple of times, I wasn't even able to toggle the screen with the power button, just completely unresponsive.

Lastly, really minor, but there's a super long delay when I go to resume a podcast (PcoketCasts) or music (Google Play Music) with my ear buds. It doesn't respond right away, I press it again, get a snippet of audio before the second press is recognized and the audio is paused again. Strangely, the keypress will register right away as soon as I press it a second time or if I turn on the screen. Otherwise, I gotta way a few seconds before it goes.

Got about two weeks to decide, but the earpiece thing makes it really hard to justify keeping it.

A family member is having issues with her 6.1 too. The two most common issues are that the camera seems to take forever to load, and a few issues with audio in a call. I'm not sure if that's the other end couldn't hear her or she couldn't hear the other end, but she was going to factory reset and hope they got fixed.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I'm guessing you don't use Google Photos?

If not you've learned two lessons: Always back up and never use SD cards.

Always back up yes, but I've used SD cards for near the entirety of the 8 years I've been using smartphones and cant recall ever having a lick of trouble.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I like this tool for file recovery. It will not work if your SD card is biting it, or if the photos were overwritten. It may work if it's just a matter of your filesystem being messed up.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Paperhouse posted:

I encountered a problem when storing photos on an SD card, if this isn't really the right place to ask then let me know (and suggest where I should if you know)

I switched camera storage to an SD card on my Moto G4 phone the other day, and started taking photos normally. I looked at them afterwards on the phone and everything was fine, but as I started to take more photos, most of the ones I had previously taken suddenly seemed to go wrong. In the gallery they're not "gone" but instead of the thumbnail there's just a grey box, and if I tap any of them to try and open the picture in full I get a black screen with a spinning white circle in the middle.

I guess they are somehow corrupted due to a lovely cheap SD card or something. My question is if there is anything I can try to do to recover the images? I've copied them all to my laptop and while some of them show as 0 bytes, some have a proper file size I would expect of a regular photo. And as I said, they did exist at one point (briefly) as correctly saved photos.

I have googled this but it's a bit hard to find the right information because lots of people have all sorts of slightly different issues revolving around this. I know there are recovery programs out there but the ones I've looked at so far seem to be more like "bring back stuff I deleted plz" and not "fix my hosed up files"

I hope it's not this, but you mention 'cheap' SD cards which may mean counterfeit. Sometimes with those they may say they are e.g. 64GB but are actually for instance 4GB. They are rigged to report larger sizes, but as you write new files to them they just replace older files.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Red Warrior posted:

I hope it's not this, but you mention 'cheap' SD cards which may mean counterfeit. Sometimes with those they may say they are e.g. 64GB but are actually for instance 4GB. They are rigged to report larger sizes, but as you write new files to them they just replace older files.

This is common even on "Name Brand" cards, which are often counterfeited as well, especially from retailers like Amazon. I run all SD cards through H2TestW, which will write and read the full capacity. I've caught several "SanDisk" cards that came in official-looking packaging from Amazon. Amazon always just replaces them, but it saves a lot of hassle.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

Always back up yes, but I've used SD cards for near the entirety of the 8 years I've been using smartphones and cant recall ever having a lick of trouble.

Well if you're backed up then just redownload them from Google Photos but if you didn't have that or Dropbox's auto backup turned on, you're likely hosed. It sounds an awful lot like what Red Warrior describes. They'd still show up because the index is written in the early blocks but eventually everything gets overwritten.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've seen behavior like that when the contacts of the sd card were dirty. Not to give you any hope, but cleaning them costs nothing to try.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've seen behavior like that when the contacts of the sd card were dirty. Not to give you any hope, but cleaning them costs nothing to try.

i bought this questionable sarnsung 256 griggabutt thumb drive on the theory that sd cards are known to fail

i think i'm gonna come off on the wrong end of this somehow

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

sharkytm posted:

This is common even on "Name Brand" cards, which are often counterfeited as well, especially from retailers like Amazon. I run all SD cards through H2TestW, which will write and read the full capacity. I've caught several "SanDisk" cards that came in official-looking packaging from Amazon. Amazon always just replaces them, but it saves a lot of hassle.

Were they sold by Amazon or a third party seller? If you got those and Amazon was the seller I hope they are sued into outer space

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Any opinions on the 'armor-x' waterproof cases? Seems like the only thing coming up in my search for a non-bag waterproof case for my Moto G5S+.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

My 5x is dying. I'm told it's a miracle it lasted this long.

Is there anything immediately obviously wrong with eyeing a refurbished pixel 1. I have project fi.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nope, Pixel 1 is still a good phone. And yes, get rid of your 5x ASAP. They are ticking time bombs.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Krinkle posted:

Is there anything immediately obviously wrong with eyeing a refurbished pixel 1. I have project fi.

Not much other than the pixel is 2 years old which mean you only have a year of security updates left and a 2 year old battery

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Krinkle posted:

I had bad luck and got one with non-working phone audio(from a woot sale) and had to return it, but that's just one data point :shrug: Ended up with a Moto X4 (I'm also on Fi) and its fine.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Were they sold by Amazon or a third party seller? If you got those and Amazon was the seller I hope they are sued into outer space

"Fulfilled by Amazon" ... I got a refund, no questions asked.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Is there any possible way to disable the bitch that says "when it's safe blah blah blah"?
I've tried a bunch of different headphones and they all keep triggering her somehow.
I'm never going to use Google assistant I just want to never hear that phrase ever again.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

Is there any possible way to disable the bitch that says "when it's safe blah blah blah"?
I've tried a bunch of different headphones and they all keep triggering her somehow.
I'm never going to use Google assistant I just want to never hear that phrase ever again.

........what?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Thumposaurus posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, and I use headphones and Assistant daily. Can you describe what it is you're experiencing?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Krinkle posted:

You're never going to find one without a bad audio board.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

I was perfectly happy with mine until Oreo came along. It's so unbelievably sluggish with everything I do now. I'm going to have to wait for the Pixel 3 though because there's nothing out there that's remotely compelling.

Yeah. I definitely like some of the new features. But it definitely clunks up my S7 too. I'm hoping things will be "optimized" or something. I have 8.0.0 so I'm sure they'll do some tweaks.

Buuuut they really just want me to buy a new more powerful phone to handle their new poo poo. :(

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

On Terra Firma posted:

Yeah. Mine was hurting before but the Oreo upgrade really hosed it up even more.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It's this message
 "when it's safe you'll first need to use your phone's screen and tap the notification then you can let the Google App access some things on your device."

It seems like it happens when the headphone cord brushes against the inside of a pocket or whatever. Multiple different headphones all do the same thing.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Have y'all with an S7 tried a factory reset following the Oreo update? I've found that sorts out most problems after a major Android version upgrade.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thumposaurus posted:

What kind of phone do you have and are you using headphones while driving?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It happens with every headphone or the aux line in for the car.
It's an LG G6, but it used to happen with my old Samsung Galaxy too.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thumposaurus posted:

Do you have ok google set up on the phone? Does the Google app have permissions to access the microphone?

In Android notifications settings does Google have the ability to display notifications?

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Have y'all with an S7 tried a factory reset following the Oreo update? I've found that sorts out most problems after a major Android version upgrade.

I'mma do this when I get home.

Seems impossible, but is there any way to retrieve my 4 digit PIN for private mode? I'm thinking no and I've lost some good boobies! :(

e: Actually found a promising link from xda developers this time. Gonna try that when I get home! Like boobie memory lane!

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 7, 2018

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Thumposaurus posted:

I haven't had that specific message, but any touch to my headphone jack on my old nexus 5x would cause google assistant to stop everything it was doing and tell me to set up google assistant, and there was no way to truly disable it from taking control of the phone.

For the car at least, I ended up using one of these bluetooth to phono jack adapters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RH29CJO
I also ended up needing an isolator to avoid electrical interference in the audio: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019393MV2

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Krinkle posted:

Pixel 1 is currently 55% off at B&H. I gave it a look over and it didn't say anything about the units being refurbished, I know pretty much everyone who bought a Woot refurb had complaints.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I got back from a two-week vacation today and for some reason my JVC head unit won't pick up Android Auto from my Pixel. The phone, however, thinks it's doing Auto stuff. Aside from rebooting the phone, what other things should I try (preferably in increasing order of destructiveness)? Clear cache and/or data? Reinstall Android Auto? Factory reset phone?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Desk Lamp posted:

Pixel 1 is currently 55% off at B&H. I gave it a look over and it didn't say anything about the units being refurbished, I know pretty much everyone who bought a Woot refurb had complaints.

According to this, the B&H models are not refurbs but new old stock.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Think I'm going to jump in that pixel one, any reason not to? It's for my mom who is currently using a dying , 4 year old Moto Droid of some flavor (Max?). I'm thinking that's probably going to be the best supported, best working device for the price?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Think I'm going to jump in that pixel one, any reason not to? It's for my mom who is currently using a dying , 4 year old Moto Droid of some flavor (Max?). I'm thinking that's probably going to be the best supported, best working device for the price?

I'm using a Pixel 1 and have zero regrets and no intentions on getting a new phone any time soon. Plus, headphone jack

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So, Pixel 2, 1+ years of OS updates and 2+ years of security patches left, right?

How does the kinda blue one look in person?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Raised by Hamsters posted:

If I'm not mistaken the Pixel 1 still has a little over one full year of security updates to go. Even then though, I'd say you'd be fine, it's probably not the best attitude to take but it seems to me the risk and the security we feel from the monthly updates is a little overblown. It's not like we were falling prey to major exploits left and right before monthly updates became a thing. I think the biggest risk for a typical phone user are browser exploits and you'll still receive updates for them.

The real worry is when major exploits come to light and I'd be willing to bet that if a major vulnerability was discovered in 2020 Google would release an update for the P1. Samsung did it for a bunch of EoL phones when Blueborne was revealed and I can't see Google not doing it with their flagship line.

Worst case scenario you have to buy a new phone in two years time, I'd say that's worth a 55% discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I got back from a two-week vacation today and for some reason my JVC head unit won't pick up Android Auto from my Pixel. The phone, however, thinks it's doing Auto stuff. Aside from rebooting the phone, what other things should I try (preferably in increasing order of destructiveness)? Clear cache and/or data? Reinstall Android Auto? Factory reset phone?

Hooray, a simple reboot fixed it. Second problem solved by the rebooting that I've had with my Pixel in the last week or sow. The first was it stopped charging, which was concerning.

The only thing that would give me pause about buying a new original Pixel now is that the new gifv container that Webview introduced recently often hangs my phone for a few seconds, at least in the Awful app. Otherwise this thing still performs great.