Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Rock, Paper, Shotgun: Star Citizen adds mining in latest update

Alice O'Connor posted:

Star Citizen is due to launch in full shortly before the heat death of the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Mirificus posted:

Alice O'Connor posted:

Star Citizen is due to launch in full shortly before the heat death of the universe.

Seems a tad optimistic...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Blue On Blue posted:

Yes but what they show you has to be legit and not edited. And it is gone over with a fine tooth comb by experienced people who can smell bullshit from a mile away

What I mean is there is no way cig would get away with trying to sell stock options , becuase the first auditor would say "why do you spend 500k a year on this line item .... ben silence?"

And then Chris would run in and slap the keyboard away while shooing everyone out

For a public offering yes. That would also require a market valuation by a bank, which is comedy. Does a private offering require the audited books in the first year?

How about the value of the share being completely decoupled from the price? Eg pay $1000 and we throw in this penny share, Citizen!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Massively OP: Former Star Citizen dev refutes fake Glassdoor review made by troll on his behalf

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
So I've been in the SC trades reddit (don't ask why) and you'd think it was citizens with a ship or 2 to sell but there are a ton of people there with hundreds of ships each.

Here's one from a year ago (didn't realise it was that old when I started but there are dozens more like it)-

That's just a snippet of what the dude is selling!

I copy-pasted it into a spreadsheet and it was over $5,700 worth of JPEG spaceships!

So my question is, what the gently caress?

Are these just incredibly rich people looking to get even richer off fellow SC fans? Bitcoin people? Money laundering? Some sort of currency exchange scheme, trading their local cash for USD?

What. The actual. gently caress.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

So I've been in the SC trades reddit (don't ask why) and you'd think it was citizens with a ship or 2 to sell but there are a ton of people there with hundreds of ships each.

Here's one from a year ago (didn't realise it was that old when I started but there are dozens more like it)-

I copy-pasted it into a spreadsheet and it was over $5,700 worth of JPEG spaceships!

Are these just incredibly rich people looking to get even richer off fellow SC fans? Bitcoin people? Money laundering? Some sort of currency exchange scheme, trading their local cash for USD?

Some people made a good chunk of change off the initial 'rush' into SC

I myself tripled my money by selling my account, it was only like an initial $75 account, but some weirdo bought it for 3 times that and allowed me to buy Elite Dangerous and all future DLC (thanks Chris Roberts!)

Now take my account and think, if you bought one of the big ticket items, or even 10 of them.... and started a virtual used ship showroom

You could flip them for MASSIVE PROFIT

The problem is people forgot the market would crash, and now they're stuck with a huge inventory of stupid jpegs they can't get rid of it, or even sell for a loss

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

monkeytek posted:

I don't understand years ago Roberts said they had a server running 1000's of ai's just waiting for the day of glory. I want to meet them, I want to fetishize them and I want to lock them up in my space dungeon!

These were all running on the full economy simulation system they had, getting everything prepped for when the launch happened and the AI would know how to do trade runs and the economy would be stabilized.

It was all very glorious and I'm sure it was totally real like 3 or 4 or more years ago when they told everybody about how it was running.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Wanna see a 6 min long sci fi that's incalculably more creative than anything crobbler's done?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It seems to me that Chris Roberts approaches game design the same way he might, say, writing a book or a movie script. If you can imagine it, it's there; all it takes to build a world is to formulate the picture in your head, and off you go. Sure, someone has to write the words (or code and graphics, as the case may be), but that can be offloaded. The creative vision is what makes the story, after all. When you're writing a book, there's no real limit to what you can imagine. You want a story set in a world with infinitely fidelitous spaceships and factories and space pirates? Sure, knock yourself out. You can have that.

It's not simply that he doesn't understand game design. He doesn't even understand that there is something to understand. He's imagined the spaceship in excruciating detail, so the job is done, or at least close enough to done to ask someone to pay $200 for it. I've met people with this kind of personality before (even worked for them). They tend also to be, vexingly, simultaneously very detail-oriented and very shallow when it comes to checking on the work of others. This is how you end up with situations where he cares very, very much about getting the right color of blue pixel, but has the attention span of a three year old when it comes to things actually functioning. This is why he stares starry-eyed at visual tech demos as if that was a finished product, because that's what he thinks it is. He sees it, so it's in the game!

This may explain why he's made mystifying statements like thousands of AI agents being in the game: he saw it internally. Or rather, he saw something that could be interpreted that way. Maybe he peeked over a programmer's shoulder and saw a bunch of NPCs milling around and concluded that this exactly matched what he had imagined it would look like. And never bothered to ask if or how it all worked, or didn't ask the right questions, and at any rate didn't care enough to understand that he should've been asking those questions before blabbing to the public about it.

This is a good post!

One thing that I hope may eventually come to light after this mess settles would be how much of everything Chris is just flat out lying about, totally misunderstood the meaning of and over exaggerated it to the public, and how many things people lied to him about to keep out of the line of fire.

There's a lot of mystery here, but there's only one thing I know for certain: he never actually plays his game.

I feel like his lack of knowledge of playing his game allows him to better lie to people, too. He can say "well I was told that...!" without feeling guilt that he's selling people Ferrari's while giving them broken Pintos.

There's not many people in the world able to be massively successful and also massively ignorant about what they're doing, simultaneously.

At least not when you are trying to run a company with moral integrity. That's kind of the kicker really. :(

He's had enough money he has been able to fund multiple studios and contractors, all over the world. There was no reason why he had to choose the path of "questionable at best, most likely scummy activity" method of running a company. All he had to do was just put a new coat of paint on Freelancer or something stupid. He could have been making Star Citizen 2 by now.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

No, I think he's beginning to sweat the gap between his vision and the reality, literally. He has a body of documentary evidence that is going to produce a quite amusing Roberts Vs Roberts series as he starts to suggest that after ten years development is when things get _really_ stale.

I think he's upset, and miffed about the allegations. I bet he thinks the show is over though and he's starting his exit strategy, if he hasn't been already.

I wouldn't be surprised if before the end of the year he leaves with a grandiose speech about "leaving the project in good hands, letting other people take it over after he put in his decade of getting through the technical hurdles" etc etc. Very much placing himself in a position where he got everybody through the hard part and it's easy sailing from here.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

"You have wings?"
"Of course I do, I'm a girl"

Skeksis' terrified me at the time.

Totally agree. That show really freaked me out. I've never really watched it in any of its recent remakes or whatever they're doing with it now because it was way too creepy for the age group they targeted.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

It's the same thing that happened with SotA - a whole bunch of people decided this was going to be the next big thing and sunk a lot of money early on into acquiring LIMITED EDITION digital assets under the presumption that when the game released they would be highly valued by the general public looking to get into the game and could be sold off for a significant profit.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hobold posted:

https://i.imgur.com/2IwK5FB.gifv

Coming soon to SC, to accompany that stupid warthog knockoff that I can't be bothered to remember the name of.

Maybe this one will stay upright, unlike the hover versions.

Still gonna lose its wheels and explode to the first ramp it sees.

I'm the knuckles that are mere centimeters from the exhaust manifold, the hottest external part of the engine

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Hobold posted:

https://i.imgur.com/2IwK5FB.gifv

Coming soon to SC, to accompany that stupid warthog knockoff that I can't be bothered to remember the name of.

Maybe this one will stay upright, unlike the hover versions.

Still gonna lose its wheels and explode to the first ramp it sees.

He totally ran a red light.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm the knuckles that are mere centimeters from the exhaust manifold, the hottest external part of the engine

I'm the asscheek that's getting ripped off if it touches that rear wheel

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Someone has found SQLi in their store.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

That was actually quite funny.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Xaerael posted:

Wanna see a 6 min long sci fi that's incalculably more creative than anything crobbler's done?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ

I was expecting this, the music is from a cover CD but all the animation was done by one insane fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hVuv7mDNqM

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

This dude is acting as a middleman for a bunch of other holders. He gets a cut if he sells something. Occasionally these people buy up a bunch of lower priced stuff and sell it, but that is pretty unusual a few years after the "One resale allowed" rule.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

DapperDon posted:

I just had to ask to get mine done. With this Av. BAHAHAHAHAHA!

Tax:

Artsygrrl posted:

I spent more time on this than planned. Well, here is another one for you, DapperDon:

You know what you have to do

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/1015339914920067073

Keep them believing that hurston will be in 3.3 and then bang OCS and BC still aren't done so no hurston for you.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Oh my god, what fresh hell is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uieM18rZdHY

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

McGiggins posted:

I'd genuinely like to hear you expand on this a bit. I've read his rationalist harry potter book and I rather liked it, though I haven't read anything further by him. I'd be eager to hear your take on him.

I managed to get back into the lab, and the citizers are here, now playing escape from tarkhov. Rude citizer is now extremely sociable about how tarkhov is good.

Hoping I'm not missing a reply buried in the thread, but my understanding of Yudkowsky's background is that he dropped out of middle school because people were mean to him and never made it through high school or college. This obviously qualifies him to be an AI researcher that people respect even though in the goon "Methods of Rationality" thread a lot of AI researchers point out he has no idea what he's talking about.

Yudkowsky's big contributions to the AI research field are that AIs will keep building themselves to be smarter than us and then if they are not friendly they will become as gods who cannot be stopped, so we must keep them friendly by, uh...doing...a thing. Much like the Crobber has plans to build "fidelity" but no actual idea how game design works or how to make a fun game, Yudkowsky and co have no idea how actual machine learning works but a whole lot of gibberish and dedication to a scenario technology is nowhere ready to put into place (the matrix/general purpose AI).

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Yudkowsky is an incredibly smart man

*has a mental breakdown after talking about an imaginary ai which in the future will create copies of your consciousness to infinitely torture you retroactively unless you work as hard as possible to create it now in the present, but would forgive you if you don't know about it, and now everyone knows about it because i talked about it on my blog and i'm screaming at them to shut up*

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

Xaerael posted:

Cheers!

Never to completion. I started learning 3D modelling for precision animatronic stuff (because large custom animatronic eyes are hard to make without, and I was doing a project that needed eyes with a huge diameter), but because I'm super fussy and need to be at every stage of the process, and access to high end printers is pretty much impossible to get unless you're part of a university or company which owns one, it never progressed beyond modelling. :barf: to say it, but I needed the ~~fidelity~~. That project's been on ice for about 6 years now, though I learned a new technique that might pass as a solution.

Just use Agisoft with 100 close-up pictures of the person's eyes. They won't animate, but they'll be super fidelicious.

Edit; wow, bitcoins are still relevant?

HoneyBakedMAN fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 7, 2018

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Probably a little bit of all of the above. I used to sell LTI ships back when that was the hot poo poo and you could really easily get 50-75% over what you paid for them.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Amazing Zimmo posted:

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/1015339914920067073

Keep them believing that hurston will be in 3.3 and then bang OCS and BC still aren't done so no hurston for you.

Hurston we have a problem

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Probably a little bit of all of the above. I used to sell LTI ships back when that was the hot poo poo and you could really easily get 50-75% over what you paid for them.

Well I'm trying to sell mine for less than what anyone is asking for and no takers so far, so I guess the market is drying up...

Not a good sign. Well for CIG anyway.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Nebakenezzer posted:

That sounds exactly like something CIG would make. They won't have to change anything when they rip it off completely by chance develop a bike just like it!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I got a Lenovo Explorer.

Does Star Citizen have VR yet?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Cymelion is right. CIG would never go back on The Pledge.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

And this is why SC has such a toxic, delusional and dedicated fan base. It's not about actually playing the game, it's lording over the plebs who never pledged and will never catch up to your thousands of dollars in ships. It's about sneering at those who can't afford top of the line PC's and the "consoletards" who are "ruining" gaming. It's about shouting "I told you so" at all who doubted when Star Citizen ends up being the greatest game ever, because of course it will be.

Star Citizens fanbase is like a cross of some of the worst aspects of smug libertarians, Bitcoiners, and the Rapture Ready crowds.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
He knows people play games on consoles and they get patched when needed and it’s all good, right? Or is he admitting that even if SC released they’d be swatting “killer door” bugs every day forever?

Also while cross play is bad and puts console players at a disadvantage, I don’t see how that would be terribly relevant here. I mean, you’re supposed to play with a joystick. Why not an analogue stick?

Which reminds me, Chris saying how combat will be more “lethal” than CoD makes me confident he’s just throwing out what he knows to be “a bad dumb game for casual chads,” since in my limited experience playing CoD multiplayer, if you see someone and fire off a burst at them, they’re most likely dead.

Way lower relative health threshold than say, Halo with its shields, or Overwatch with its abundance of escape abilities and solid stage design which means even if you’ve never played on a map before, you KNOW you can find a medkit in any darkened sideroom, or at the bottom of any flight of stairs.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pigs might also fly...

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Evil_Greven posted:

I got a Lenovo Explorer.

Does Star Citizen have VR yet?

what does your heart tell you?

two weeks

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I agree that Star Citizen is never coming to consoles, but I have a different set of reasons why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffyhawk
Jun 30, 2005

FHNNNNNNN
Ramrod XTreme

Spiderdrake posted:

Should do the bear from Annihilation screaming PLEDGEMORE but then, like, you'd have to have that seen that movie.

Quoting from 500 posts ago to say that I saw that movie and also lol.

Edit for relevant clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYlIwaUhGi8

Scruffyhawk fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 7, 2018