Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

xzzy posted:

Does twitter offer personal use api keys? If so, how about they tell people to go get their own key and paste it into the app.

Yeah that's a lovely process that no one will actually do and will kill the usebase of the app, but it sounds like they're on death's door already.

They do not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RIP the age of the API. It was nice while it lasted.

(pretty much everyone has spent the last year eliminating or clamping down hard on their API's)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

xzzy posted:

Does twitter offer personal use api keys? If so, how about they tell people to go get their own key and paste it into the app.

Yeah that's a lovely process that no one will actually do and will kill the usebase of the app, but it sounds like they're on death's door already.

I’m pretty sure this used to be the workaround for something Twitter did ages ago. Using a key of some sort.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Skeezy posted:

I’m pretty sure this used to be the workaround for something Twitter did ages ago. Using a key of some sort.

Yeah they limit the amount of users a new Twitter app can have if they aren't grandfathered in. I believe some android apps had the users set up their own 'app' and use the key on the 3rd party app

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I started using Dark Sky as my weather app of choice to replace BeWeather since BeWeather isn't as reliable as it once was and it's great. I love all the alerts it gives me :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Are there any apps/services that just straight up text someone when I’m close to them? Waze makes my phone too hot and fucks with Bluetooth, find friends needs people to add me to theirs, I just want the geofencing and nice cross-platform sms.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tuyop posted:

Are there any apps/services that just straight up text someone when I’m close to them? Waze makes my phone too hot and fucks with Bluetooth, find friends needs people to add me to theirs, I just want the geofencing and nice cross-platform sms.

Cross-platform I got nothing but you can share your location through messages. You can set it for one hour, a day, or indefinitely. As far as geofencing notifications, for when you arrive somewhere you can do that (again, ios only) through find my friends.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I don't care about notifications anyway. As long as Tweetbot still shows me uncluttered time ordered tweets and my lists, I'm good.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

tuyop posted:

I'm hoping (though not too hard) that the new Siri Shortcuts'll allow something like this due to it being part of the OS. At the moment I use the Workflow app to automatically text my wife an ETA when I start a 'Driving Home' workflow but it has no access to Find My Friends data / geofencing so it's still fairly limited.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is there a good app or solution for reading tab in an iPad? Songster seems the best but charges $5/month for access. Using their webpage is a workaround but only get four rows before ads and such and can't shrink the page. Appreciate any insight! Trying to not suck at guitar.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

TraderStav posted:

Is there a good app or solution for reading tab in an iPad? Songster seems the best but charges $5/month for access. Using their webpage is a workaround but only get four rows before ads and such and can't shrink the page. Appreciate any insight! Trying to not suck at guitar.
Been a while since I gave up trying to learn but Guitar Pro is really good.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Ugggh I’m at 17 and counting apps that are stuck on loading during update and soon every app I need to use on a daily basis will be locked away. Fair warning iOS 12 public beta 12.

I’ve tried restarting the phone, pausing/restarting the update as well as deleting the app and downloading anew.

Any suggestions before my phone only has stock apps left usable?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Public Beta 12 you say :thunk:

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Public Beta 12 you say :thunk:

Yep who would of guessed, is it possible to roll back to beta 2, that one treated me right, bought me flowers, cuddled in bed...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

and I’m just sitting here on ios 11, the best iOS Apple has produced, laughing my rear end off

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FCKGW posted:

and I’m just sitting here on ios 11, the best iOS Apple has produced, laughing my rear end off

lmao

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

FCKGW posted:

Public beta 2 might have been the best, amazing battery, felt faster than iOS 11 as well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I would put the public betas on my iPad that lives on my nightstand, while my phone kept the official releases.

Or

Official release in the streets, public beta in the sheets.

priznat fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 24, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

xilni posted:

Public beta 2 might have been the best, amazing battery, felt faster than iOS 11 as well.

Towards the end of PB2 I had an odd bug where the battery icon would freeze, so it would be draining and I wouldn’t know. Putting it in/out of low power mode would fix. Even plugging it into the charger wouldn’t bring up the lighting bolt icon.

I’ve not had major issues with pb3 yet, I’m sure they’re around the corner though (or maybe they only affect good phones).

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

xilni posted:

Any suggestions before my phone only has stock apps left usable?

Legitimately the solution is to get off of the unstable beta channel for a device you need to remain stable. Iirc, the last time I had the apps-stuck-on-loading issue I had to wipe and restore.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What’s a good steak timer? Free is preferred due to the infrequency of me being the main steak cooker.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Use the clock? That's what I do, check time when I plop the steaks on the grill, wait 6 minutes, flip the meat, wait 6 minutes. Once you figure out how hot your grill runs you can fine tune a bit. Use the stopwatch if you want to get spergy I guess.

Course now you have me looking at the app store and there are in fact "perfect steak timing" apps and now you got me curious.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The built in clock app has a timer. Right next to the alarm icon. Well on the same icon bar.

E: you can even put the timer launcher icon in control center.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 29, 2018

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Setting timers while cooking is pretty much the only thing I use Siri for.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The built in clock app has a timer. Right next to the alarm icon. Well on the same icon bar.

E: you can even put the timer launcher icon in control center.

Steak timers build on this by setting times based on thickness/how you want it, and telling you when to flip etc.

I have one from yeeeeears ago called Steak Master that I break out from time to time, works quite decently.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

hadji murad posted:

What’s a good steak timer? Free is preferred due to the infrequency of me being the main steak cooker.

A thermometer. Don’t try and time it and expect to get it right, do it by temp.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Kalman posted:

A thermometer. Don’t try and time it and expect to get it right, do it by temp.

:emptyquote:

I will flip based on a timer to cook evenly, but a thermometer is the only perfectly reliable method to get the steak perfectly cooked.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks guys will look temps up and save them since I won’t have a connection at the lake.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I'm guessing the answer is no, but I recently converted to iOS from android and is there any way for me to get Swype without having bought it (on iOS) before they pulled it from the app store?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
no

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Jazz Marimba posted:

I'm guessing the answer is no, but I recently converted to iOS from android and is there any way for me to get Swype without having bought it (on iOS) before they pulled it from the app store?

But the google keyboard replacement(gboard) is good and supports swype typing.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Slash posted:

But the google keyboard replacement(gboard) is good and supports swype typing.

Its word recognition is mediocre; you can't add words to the dictionary, only replacement text; half the keyboard doesn't have alternate characters via long press; using common symbols like []*=<>~ take four taps when they could be a long press; and it's missing symbols, e.g. the degrees o.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jazz Marimba posted:

Its word recognition is mediocre; you can't add words to the dictionary, only replacement text; half the keyboard doesn't have alternate characters via long press; using common symbols like []*=<>~ take four taps when they could be a long press; and it's missing symbols, e.g. the degrees o.

If it makes you feel better, Swype on iOS was loving garbage.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All third party keyboards on iOS suck balls

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

iOS 12 beta has finally made them work like they should, but yeah, pretty much. If the stock keyboard could do Swype style stuff I'd be using it. But instead it's Gboard for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It always felt like them finally allowing 3rd parties keyboards was their way of saying ‘look, this stuff sucks and here’s the proof. Enjoy”.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Vince MechMahon posted:

iOS 12 beta has finally made them work like they should, but yeah, pretty much. If the stock keyboard could do Swype style stuff I'd be using it. But instead it's Gboard for me.

That's interesting. Out of curiosity, what have they fixed?

The big pain points for me always were:

1) 3rd party boards are slow to load (especially Nintype)
2) They don't work everywhere (like from iMessage from the lock screen)
3) Pressing the globe icon to round-robin through the boards is slow, and pressing and holding the globe icon has a delay (and doesn't work with force touch, which is a whole other WTF why question)

Did they fix any of these?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobfather posted:

That's interesting. Out of curiosity, what have they fixed?

The big pain points for me always were:

1) 3rd party boards are slow to load (especially Nintype)
2) They don't work everywhere (like from iMessage from the lock screen)
3) Pressing the globe icon to round-robin through the boards is slow, and pressing and holding the globe icon has a delay (and doesn't work with force touch, which is a whole other WTF why question)

Did they fix any of these?

All of those are fixed. It's the main reason I stayed on the beta despite the other issues it introduced. How fast they load was night and day in particular. The globe isn't QUITE as fast as I'd like but still better.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

All keyboards on iOS suck balls

ios, it just works! :D

i love how apple captured almost two decades of people who will themselves to hunt and peck like they're 50 yo men in the 90s sitting at a beige computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

ios, it just works! :D

i love how apple captured almost two decades of people who will themselves to hunt and peck like they're 50 yo men in the 90s sitting at a beige computer

I don’t know if I would describe the way some of the teens who work for me text as “Hunt and peck” but lol regardless