Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah, that leaves out like 10,000 games but I imagine the only games on steam without achievements are unity asset flips and DOTA2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

steam created an API to let developers track player data easier and accidentally let in some bug that let anybody see all the data for the entire database so now there's this file https://www.arstechnica.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/games_achievements_players_2018-07-01.csv that lists the exact number of people who have ever launched a title on steam even once. Pretty cool

it wasnt a bug, their api was showing achievement unlock percentages up to like 16 decimal places, which was accurate enough to figure out how many users played a game. this api is open to everyone, if you want to track achievement unlocks or steam inventory stuff, its how all those types of sites work at all

https://twitter.com/TylerGlaiel/status/1012784944123293696

steam claimed the change they made to profiles earlier this year that broke the way steamspy counted owners was nothing to do with steamspy, but instead a requirement of GDPR

of course within days of this achievement realization getting out, steam changed their api to only show like 4 digits lol

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

In Training posted:

Yeah, that leaves out like 10,000 games but I imagine the only games on steam without achievements are unity asset flips and DOTA2

A lot of games actually. Dota 2 and ff14 come to mind first though

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

the unity assit flip games usually have thousands of achievments and trading cards

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Xbox Ambassador posted:

Games without achievements aren’t listed either

Undertale has no achievements and it's there

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

ArfJason posted:

Undertale has no achievements and it's there

It uses the achievement API to track so uhhh

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
yeah, I've no idea

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Steam, ladies and gentlemen. PC Gaming ftw.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
So many of the top played games are ones I've never heard of in my life or seen any of my friends playing and it's weirding me out

Robocraft 10,145,493
Brawlhalla 8,646,824
Trove 7,700,319
No More Room in Hell 7,144,320
Warface 6,656,284
Wallpaper Engine 5,279,723
Black Squad 5,223,468

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

China

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wallpaper engine is something that lets you make custom screensavers really easily I think.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ArfJason posted:

the fact that borderlands is in the top 30 or so is disheartening
It's been on there for a long time, they frequently drop the price to almost nothing, and it's a recognized property. So a lot of people will at least try it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

So many of the top played games are ones I've never heard of in my life or seen any of my friends playing and it's weirding me out

Robocraft 10,145,493
Brawlhalla 8,646,824
Trove 7,700,319
Warface 6,656,284
Black Squad 5,223,468

ive heard the name brawlhalla before but ive never even seen it. Maybe i have and its one of those things that look so generic you dont really keep it in mind

also no more room in hell is a Zombie Apocalypse Source Mod

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Robocraft 10,145,493
Brawlhalla 8,646,824
Trove 7,700,319
Warface 6,656,284
Black Squad 5,223,468

ban free to play games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've played Brawlhalla. I think.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Edit: I was thinking of Battlerite. Brawlhalla is a Melee clone.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Ballhalla is actually a really well done Marble Madness style game. No idea what Brawlhalla is though.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

Edit: I was thinking of Battlerite. Brawlhalla is a Melee clone.

next imp zone tournament?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

American McGay posted:

Ballhalla is actually a really well done Marble Madness style game. No idea what Brawlhalla is though.

American McGay’s Ballhalla

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

American McGay’s Ballhalla

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rodger Ramrod 2: Escape from Ballhalla

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
declaration of war http://nichegamer.com/2018/07/07/todd-howard-stop-buying-skyrim-if-you-want-the-re-releases-to-stop/

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Lmfao

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Todd Howard telling people to stop buying his game.... what the gently caress is this world coming to

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmfao. godd howard ftw

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

extremebuff posted:

lmfao. godd howard ftw

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Todd Howard telling people to stop buying his game.... what the gently caress is this world coming to

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
He knows

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
it sounds like a loving threat i love it

fa-GYO
Mar 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Spare the Todd and spoil the child.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ArfJason posted:

ive heard the name brawlhalla before but ive never even seen it. Maybe i have and its one of those things that look so generic you dont really keep it in mind

also no more room in hell is a Zombie Apocalypse Source Mod

brawlhalla is an f2p competative platformer like smash

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

they should port them to ps2 and gamecube for the less fortunate amongst us

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

they should port them to ps2 and gamecube for the less fortunate amongst us

My heart goes out to all the unfortunate Brazilian gamers unable to play skyrim the master system

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I have it on good authority that the Zeebo port of Skyrim is progressing nicely.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I use wallpaper engine to make my desktop bg animated fighting game backgrounds

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

mostly SNK ones, I assume

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lumpy the Cook posted:

this is a weird way to quantify users browsing early access, but whatever

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

The software has been discovered in over 50 games including The Elder Scrolls Online, Conan Exiles, Hunt: Showdown, and Civilization VI. For the past couple weeks, a contingent of players have dedicated themselves to weeding it out, decrying it as “spyware” that many companies failed to disclose.

“Red Shell is a spyware that tracks data of your PC and shares it with 3rd parties,” Redditor Alexspeed75 wrote last week in a thread that’s became something of a rallying place for aggrieved players. “On their website they formulate it all in very harmless language, but the fact is that this is software from someone I don’t trust and whom I never invited, which is looking at my data and running on my PC against my will. This should have no place in a full price PC game, and in no games if it were up to me.”

Steam is literally spyware now LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

"now"?