Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Calico Heart posted:

My experience with Nier Automata:

Woah this game is cool wow big robot fight coooool

Oh there’s an open world...

Oh I’ve been asked to find 3 x’s by y...

Oh... the map is... oh...

I'm phone posting but there's a Nier subquest flowchart that's something like "if it's out of the way don't do it" it more or less applies to Automata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The camera controls in Majora’s Mask have not aged well at all. The 2nd “stick” on the new 3ds helps but it’s not a total solution.

Also there are way too many mini games in MM. Some of them are ridiculously hard.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ShootaBoy posted:

You absolutely can tell them to hang on a second, leave the town, and check the map. Unless you outright say no to a contract, it stays around for a few days.

Yeah the contract won't put a marker on the map until you accept it but you can check the contract text and generally back out to see if the destination is anywhere nearby.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Olive! posted:

Don't worry, the third doesn't control any better.

I tried to jump up a hill, hit the slope and rolled backwards up a near vertical mountain, launched gerald over a twenty foot wall and landed in an area I shouldn't have been able to get to yet. This game doesn't physics good.

Then five minutes later I stumbled over a two foot drop and died from fall damage.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I want to like Six Ages except combat makes absolutely no sense and I'm tired of losing every single one. I have a heroic combat guy on my clan ring but that apparently means nothing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Somehow Mortal Kombat managed to figure this out so I don't know why Street Fighter can't.

NRS is staffed by fun people who get to make the games they wanna make, while Capcom is still ruled by old japanese suits.

Ed Boon still wants to make crazy martial arts action stories, so he does, that's pretty much the short of MK's story design.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

NRS is staffed by fun people who get to make the games they wanna make, while Capcom is still ruled by old japanese suits.

NRS is ruled by Warner Bros., who are the exact opposite of fun people. It's honestly a miracle MK has gotten away unscathed, seeing as how they've hosed up literally all their other franchises.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Digirat posted:

Even if you hate the combat, witcher 3 is worth turning the difficulty down to easy and just cruising through it so you can experience the story/writing/characters/setting, since witcher 3 is the first game in the series where that stuff is good enough to carry it on their own

I finally gave up on W3 in part because of the controls but mainly the constant need to navigate the submenus and that stare at that mini map. I just wanted to check out the really beautiful world they built. Funniest thing about the controls is that the combat was the least of its problems. Looting and searching or just walking around were way too slippery.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RatHat posted:

Also there are way too many mini games in MM. Some of them are ridiculously hard.

Some of the minigames need to be won on each of the three days or you'd only get certain rewards on a certain day iirc.
The Deku Scrub minigame is pretty horrid.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

scarycave posted:

Some of the minigames need to be won on each of the three days or you'd only get certain rewards on a certain day iirc.
The Deku Scrub minigame is pretty horrid.

Honestly most of MM's mini games are just bad and I can't think of a single one I genuinely enjoy and don't dread having to divert the fun parts of the game to suffer through in one form or another. Goron Racing is probably the "best" of them until you have to deal with its rubber banding AI.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kay Kessler posted:

NRS is ruled by Warner Bros., who are the exact opposite of fun people. It's honestly a miracle MK has gotten away unscathed, seeing as how they've hosed up literally all their other franchises.

I mean that's the point though, NRS get to do what they want even with the WB suits around, Ono meanwhile can only do so much with SF before Capcom probably start breathing down his neck.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

I mean that's the point though, NRS get to do what they want even with the WB suits around, Ono meanwhile can only do so much with SF before Capcom probably start breathing down his neck.

or maybe ono just sucks at his job

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

or maybe ono just sucks at his job

Either way it sums up to Capcom sux, NRS pretty gud :shrug:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Street Fighter has gay and trans characters: Hugo and Poison.

I think Zangief might also be gay.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

glad she is dead posted:

Street Fighter has gay and trans characters: Hugo and Poison.

I think Zangief might also be gay.

I'm pretty sure that yes, Zangief is gay.

Anyway, enemies in witcher 3 move too loving much. I know that sounds a lot like "I wish things would stand still" but hear me out. I start hitting something. Whether it's a drowner or a wyvern, and unless I outlevel it to the point where it dies in three hits, the loving thing has so much HP it takes like a minute of solid smacking and three menus worth of clicking to kill. The whole time, between the various hit animations, dodge animations and the fact that any time you hit something it just kind of slowly slides around, I wind up like fifty miles away from my starting point. These enemies aren't that hard when they aren't just instantly killing me. I can dodge really well because the dodge in this game is great and most enemies have no range, it's just that high level enemies really do either instantly kill you, or do like 2% of your health bar if you're within reasonable level frame for the same attack. But everything has so much HP that I can start on one side of an island, start smashing a high level drowner, and wind up on the complete other end by the time its dead and have completely de-aggro'd its twenty mates without ever stopping hitting it. Who thinks this combat is fun or good?

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I'm not gonna go up to bat for W3's combat, but I think you're just fighting enemies that are a much higher level. Even the toughest enemies (that are of a similar level) shouldn't take that long. Yeah sometimes you gotta chase a fucker around for a bit or they dodge your attacks and that can get tedious.

Maybe you're playing on a higher difficulty, in which case, why?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Len posted:

I'm phone posting but there's a Nier subquest flowchart that's something like "if it's out of the way don't do it" it more or less applies to Automata
It really doesn't. Automata does give you sidequests like "get three wolverine testicles" but then it also marks an area for you where it's put three wolverines that all have a 100% testicle drop rate and some extra ones are just lying in the grass. And there are no quests that are bullshit like the flower one in Nier where you had to basically go Gregor Mendel on a game mechanic.

There are two sidequests in Automata that aren't worth it, one's a race and the other is filling a bestiary and relies on random rare spawns. Everything else is doable quite comfortably even if it means cheesing it during your second or third playthrough, but this is a game where you can buy achievements in an in-game shop.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Man what is it about Xbox One people where the will not accept “i have no interest in the system because it has no exclusives worth getting” as a reason to not get one?

I either get a lecture that PS4 is poo poo because you have to pay for multiplayer now or “xbox will never have exclusives again now theyre just windows exclusives”.

When Xbox gets something like Uncharted/Persona/God of War/Horizon I’ll think about it. But until then why?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Console warriors (and PC master race types) are huge dweebs no matter what.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I will never understand why people get so invested in what box other people use to play their dumb video games on.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Doc M posted:

I will never understand why people get so invested in what box other people use to play their dumb video games on.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Console War....Console War never changes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Friend of mine keeps trying to push me to get an xbone but thats a few hundred i would be spending for no reason. If all the games are really going to be pc compatible i could just buy more ram for a fraction of the price. But im not going to do that either because my couch is comfy

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Len posted:

Man what is it about Xbox One people where the will not accept “i have no interest in the system because it has no exclusives worth getting” as a reason to not get one?

I either get a lecture that PS4 is poo poo because you have to pay for multiplayer now or “xbox will never have exclusives again now theyre just windows exclusives”.

When Xbox gets something like Uncharted/Persona/God of War/Horizon I’ll think about it. But until then why?

Microsoft’s strongest marketing push this gen was all about the Xbox brand, so it kind of follows that the people who bought in are the ones it all worked on. :shrug:

Plus I think a ton of people this gen jumped ship from 360 to PS4, so the Sony diehards are happy and the people who never really cared all grabbed PlayStations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dewgy posted:

Microsoft’s strongest marketing push this gen was all about the Xbox brand, so it kind of follows that the people who bought in are the ones it all worked on. :shrug:

Plus I think a ton of people this gen jumped ship from 360 to PS4, so the Sony diehards are happy and the people who never really cared all grabbed PlayStations.

The guy in the cubicle across from me at work has three. One for him, his wife, and his son. He gave one to his niece and nephew when the x came out and he replaced his main system. I can’t imagine being that far into the brand

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The BoneX is genuinely a really good system especially if you have a 4K screen and/or don't care about PC gaming, but the exclusive games just aren't there (aside from Forza and Gears, which... well, I like Forza and all, but those games don't exactly sell systems at this point). Microsoft is at least trying to focus on games again, generally have the best (console) versions of multiformat games on the X and also have a great thing going with the backwards compatibility program for OG Xbox and 360 games, but the problem is that they spent most of this generation ignoring their first-party development. Now they're stuck playing catchup, since it obviously takes time to build up a library of quality exclusives.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 18:42 on Jul 7, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

MS's E3 presentation was pretty much "I can't wait to see all the games that I'll also be able to get on my PS4/PC"

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Doc M posted:

It's petty, but the whole idea of console exclusivity annoys me since I don't want to drop a bunch of money on a PS4 but I wouldn't mind playing Bloodborne at some point.

At the very least I'm kind of glad that Microsoft sends everything over to the PC and the Xbox has no real exclusives just for that.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I'd love to have a modern console but A: they're too expensive B: I loving hate the modern practice of constantly downloading poo poo just to play a game C: Most games are geard to online stuff and i hate other people.

I'm an antisocial hermit poor-boy who prefers the old ps2 i got from a charity shop and my xbox 360 from 7 years ago that i didn't even pay for.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I can't speak for the poor-boy bit but for antisocial hermits, current gen consoles have some of the best single player experiences that have ever been crafted. Don't let the popularity of multiplayer games fool you, single player games are still alive, well, and constantly in demand. You're in for a treat once you do catch up.

The constantly downloading stuff is a little annoying but it's not a big deal at all imo, plus the constantly downloading stuff was also a thing for the 360

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

There's a different one for Nier Automata, it goes:

1) Have you unlocked fast travel yet?

Yes: Do it
No: Skip it

And yeah, gently caress that stupid race :argh:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Also I just lost two hours of progress in nier automata because I didn't save and something dumb killed me. gently caress me, guess I won't be finding out what happens as route C gets going, not today anyways

I'm not really in the mood to replay what was essentially a two hour nonstop action sequence

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gerblyn posted:

The race was bad but not as bad as my stubborn refusal to beat the last robo dojo fight on playthrough 1 :suicide:

It took forever plinking away 1hp at a time.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I don't know what Automata was doing starting off with long sequences without save points.

It's odd since for the bulk of the game the savepoints are plentiful.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

It's weird that savepoints are even a thing still. It's 2018, let me save when and wherever, into as many slots as my memory can support.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

KingSlime posted:

I can't speak for the poor-boy bit but for antisocial hermits, current gen consoles have some of the best single player experiences that have ever been crafted. Don't let the popularity of multiplayer games fool you, single player games are still alive, well, and constantly in demand. You're in for a treat once you do catch up.

The constantly downloading stuff is a little annoying but it's not a big deal at all imo, plus the constantly downloading stuff was also a thing for the 360

I bought a Ps4 because it was cheaper than a decent new GPU and, despite not purchasing as many games as on the PC because of the price difference, I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. There's a pretty good library of single-player exclusives and the multiplats that I can't run on my PC anymore, and I'm consistently beating the games I buy instead of leaving them rotting on my backlog.

Well, except the Ps+ freebies, but those don't count.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

The race is fun because if you wait until closer to the end of the game you unlock a skill that gives you loving time stop when you dodge enemy attacks which makes it an absolute non-issue. But most people either don't know that, or don't want to wait and it's no fun when you can't cheat.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ShootaBoy posted:

It's weird that savepoints are even a thing still. It's 2018, let me save when and wherever, into as many slots as my memory can support.

There is a narrative reason for why there are still manual saves in Automata.

Whether that narrative reason justifies the archaic rear end save system is your own decision to make, but :yokotaro:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Failing the introduction is also thematically consistent.

Automata is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Doesn't it completely abandon that thematic in favour of autosaving late in the game, though?