Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If you still like goofy live-action Looney Tunes stuff like Gremlins 2 or Small Soldiers and can stand Jim Carrey’s shtick, you’ll probably still like it. I’ve only seen it as an adult and I liked it a lot.

It's the archetypical Nice Guy movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Young Freud posted:

You know you're copying the three Gundam film adaptations almost scene for scene.

Of course, I'm wondering where the White Base is going to hide now in that battle against Garma, since the Seattle Superdome got demolished.

I know, but movie 2 and 3 would need a lot more retooling.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Shageletic posted:

It's the archetypical Nice Guy movie.

And Gremlins 2 presents Donald Trump as a lovable scamp who just doesn’t know any better. Problematic, yes, but overall still a good movie, just like The Mask.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

X-Ray Pecs posted:

And Gremlins 2 presents Donald Trump as a lovable scamp who just doesn’t know any better. Problematic, yes, but overall still a good movie, just like The Mask.

Always figured the CEO was more based on Ted Turner due to the similarities between his company and CNN and the other Turner broadcast channels.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Roe V. Wade movie is so insane that Kevin Sorbo dropped out after he actually got the script.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Everything about that project makes it seem like Jud Süß 2.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Rirse posted:

Always figured the CEO was more based on Ted Turner due to the similarities between his company and CNN and the other Turner broadcast channels.

IIRC, he was conceived as an amalgamation of Turner and Trump. The original script also had him be much more villainous, but John Glover came across as so likeable that they re-wrote him to be more eccentric than outright evil. Dante liked the change because he felt it fit in better with the overall tone of the film.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Rirse posted:

Partially Ted Turner, but also extremely Donald Trump. Clamp and Trump are similar words, Clamp Tower, a book about his successes in business, he’s pretty Trumpy. He was supposed to be more of an rear end in a top hat but John Glover was too charming to make that work.

Edit: beaten

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

The Roe V. Wade movie is so insane that Kevin Sorbo dropped out after he actually got the script.

Lmao what a garbage fire

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
In Yiannopoulos’ yet-to-be-filmed scene, Dr. Nathanson (Loeb) witnesses Dr. Sopher (Milo)—who is described in the script as “an Anglo-Jew from India, with an unusual habit of an awkward giggle at the end of every sentence”—perform 32 abortions between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m., an alleged event Dr. Nathanson recounted in his book The Hand of God. “You blokes are missing out on a fortune over there in the colonies,” Dr. Sopher tells Dr. Nathanson after performing the procedures.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Alan Smithee posted:

In Yiannopoulos’ yet-to-be-filmed scene, Dr. Nathanson (Loeb) witnesses Dr. Sopher (Milo)—who is described in the script as “an Anglo-Jew from India, with an unusual habit of an awkward giggle at the end of every sentence”—perform 32 abortions between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m., an alleged event Dr. Nathanson recounted in his book The Hand of God. “You blokes are missing out on a fortune over there in the colonies,” Dr. Sopher tells Dr. Nathanson after performing the procedures.

Hopefully the presence of Jaime Kennedy means this is all one big X'ing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

“The first day of shooting, the actual director and the first AD quit. So then they decided that Cathy was going to be the main director, and she has very little experience, so she and Nick have no idea what they’re doing. Shots aren’t being set up right, and there have been communication problems with the cast,” the crew member recalled. “There was a moment where Joey Lawrence was trying to do a scene and Cathy said to him, ‘Now make a face like this,’ and he called her out and said, ‘That’s not what a director does. You tell me what I’m feeling and where I’m coming from, you don’t just say to make a face.’ A lot of actors are fed up with it because it’s amateur hour.”

Joey Lawrence: "you don't tell me when to whoa. I whoa when I wanna whoa!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alan Smithee posted:

“The first day of shooting, the actual director and the first AD quit. So then they decided that Cathy was going to be the main director, and she has very little experience, so she and Nick have no idea what they’re doing. Shots aren’t being set up right, and there have been communication problems with the cast,” the crew member recalled. “There was a moment where Joey Lawrence was trying to do a scene and Cathy said to him, ‘Now make a face like this,’ and he called her out and said, ‘That’s not what a director does. You tell me what I’m feeling and where I’m coming from, you don’t just say to make a face.’ A lot of actors are fed up with it because it’s amateur hour.”

Joey Lawrence: "you don't tell me when to whoa. I whoa when I wanna whoa!"

Whoa!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Hahaha. I so wish one person on the crew is actually a guerilla documentary filmer, gettimg all this on video.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

davidspackage posted:

Hahaha. I so wish one person on the crew is actually a guerilla documentary filmer, gettimg all this on video.

"This poo poo is gold it's gonna be the next room and I will be the next Greg sistero!"

*takes selfie with animatronic fetus creature*

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

btw anyone else seen The Last Movie Star? I did and regret it terribly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

*takes selfie with animatronic fetus creature*
That's giving them a little too much credit. At best they'll have a Teddy Ruxpin covered in Ragu.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A minion doll because reaction will be he same

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MonsieurChoc posted:

The original Gundam story is a pretty easy sell, being kind of a mix of Star Wars and WWII in space. You'd need to change a few things here to make a tighter movie trilogy, but any good script writer could do it easily.

Like, here's the first movie:
- A new take on the opening narration to set up the stakes. Colony Drop over the opening credits.
- Attack on Side 7, Amuro gets in the Gundam
- The survivors of the Colony find themselves crewing the new ship White Base because most of the crew died in the sneak attack. We now have a crew of inexperienced people trying to escape to Earth with the prototype.
- First battle against Char.
- Refueling at Luna 2, Captain Paolo dies and Bright takes over, preparing for atmospheric descent.
- Intense battle while going into the atmosphere.
- Char teams up with Garma while the crew figures out where they are and where they need to go.
- Final battle of the movie, where Garma dies.
- Epilogue, with Gihren's speech if an actor for Gihren can be found who'd do the other movies.

It cuts some cruft but mostly follows the original, follows a three-act structure and can easily be followed by anyone not familiar with the series. The second and third movies whould need more changes but it's doable. All you need is a good scriptwriter and a good director.

Okay, buts Johansson going to play?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm late to the train but lmao a Gundam live action movie's gonna make Ender's Game and Ghost in the Shell look like modest successes.

People will be throwing trash at the screen and walking out during the opening narration. "Nobody told me this was gonna be some nerd poo poo!"

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I remember a few friends who were really confused by the original Gundam because the colonies who declared independence (Zeon) were portrayed as the bad guys as opposed to the plucky underdog heroes. They were really insistent that the people fighting for their independence had to be the good guys. I guess they missed the part where the Earth Federation decided to just let them be and refused to trade with Zeon, so Zeon gassed entire civilian colonies and sent them crashing into Earth's major cities as retaliation.

At the end of the day the original series was about how loving dumb it was for Japan to get into wars it could not possibly win, and how it was absolutely 100% the leadership's fault. It may not be too difficult to write that in a way that people in the west will get (Iraq, Vietnam, etc) but I don't know how well that'll go over in a country where anyone who joined the military is an automatic hero and political leaders don't get punished for abject failures they've caused.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is there any place to watch Gundam that doesn't require yet another subscription fee? I already have Netflix, Hulu and Prime.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hulu has a bunch of Gundam series but not the original Mobile Suit Gundam. It has a remake... But I wanna watch the original! So annoying.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The Origin is on hulu rn I think although I'd actually recommend the Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy or even 08th MS Team (also on hulu now I think) first

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TTBF posted:

I remember a few friends who were really confused by the original Gundam because the colonies who declared independence (Zeon) were portrayed as the bad guys as opposed to the plucky underdog heroes. They were really insistent that the people fighting for their independence had to be the good guys. I guess they missed the part where the Earth Federation decided to just let them be and refused to trade with Zeon, so Zeon gassed entire civilian colonies and sent them crashing into Earth's major cities as retaliation.

At the end of the day the original series was about how loving dumb it was for Japan to get into wars it could not possibly win, and how it was absolutely 100% the leadership's fault. It may not be too difficult to write that in a way that people in the west will get (Iraq, Vietnam, etc) but I don't know how well that'll go over in a country where anyone who joined the military is an automatic hero and political leaders don't get punished for abject failures they've caused.

The thing is also is that there's good and honorable people on both sides, but also horrific monsters, too.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Harime Nui posted:

I'm late to the train but lmao a Gundam live action movie's gonna make Ender's Game and Ghost in the Shell look like modest successes.

People will be throwing trash at the screen and walking out during the opening narration. "Nobody told me this was gonna be some nerd poo poo!"
Depends on the show. Thunderbolt has a vicious rear end in a top hat murdering the gently caress out of people with his custom Gundam to snazzy jazz music.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Okay, buts Johansson going to play?

She'd be a solid enough Sayla Mass, actually. And it wouldn't be whitewashing because she and her brother are already straight up blonde-haired and blue-eyed in the anime.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Thundercracker posted:

It kinda blows my mind conservative media has largely ignored the Purge movies. It's as explicitly anti right wing as a movie can possibly get. And this new one takes the explicit social commentary to 11.

I honesly thought the 3rd one was the best. This one doesn't do anything new but it does call out the NRA by name several times.

Conservatives only like horror movies like American Sniper and Death Wish.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

She'd be a solid enough Sayla Mass, actually. And it wouldn't be whitewashing because she and her brother are already straight up blonde-haired and blue-eyed in the anime.

Most Gundam characters (excluding I guess guys like Hayato Kobayashi) are very vaguely defined ethnically. It's basically like Star Wars where most people have some kind of whimsical name.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

I never did see the multiple personality movie m night did, though I did enjoy Unbreakable. Wondering how...necessary the Glass movie is going to be

Unbreakable and Split are good, but for Glass he'll have to get a decent performance out of modern day Bruce Willis... good luck with that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Harime Nui posted:

Most Gundam characters (excluding I guess guys like Hayato Kobayashi) are very vaguely defined ethnically. It's basically like Star Wars where most people have some kind of whimsical name.

IIRC, Amura was canadian/mexican depending on the adaptation, Bright Noah was british, Ryu Jose was Philippino and the others were from Space.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

MonsieurChoc posted:

IIRC, Amura was canadian/mexican depending on the adaptation, Bright Noah was british, Ryu Jose was Philippino and the others were from Space.

Ryu is explicitly said to be Dominican in Tomino's novelization at least and IDK where I heard this but Kai Shiden is supposed to be descended from the (large) Japanese population in Peru

but yea Amuro is supposed to be Japanese/Western; in TOS you see on a map his family's home on earth is somewhere in what used to be British Columbia but later entries in the UC canon imply most of earth's remnant population in North America radiated out from Mexico City

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 7, 2018

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

All I’m saying is Idris Elba would make a great Ramba Ral.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Um sorry no I've got the full fancasting list here and he's played by *glances down* Ron Swanson

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MonsieurChoc posted:

Brian Blessed

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
cast me as Kai Shiden

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

GODDAMNIT. GODDAMNIT. It's not a casting I've even considered but GODDAMNIT THAT WOULD BE GOOD.

Anyway, something that's really bugged me is how young everyone in Gundam is. For example, Ramba Ral is supposed to be thirty-five in UC0079, while he obviously has a Ron Swanson dad bod going on.

It actually bugs me that Amuro and Char end up killing themselves in Char's Counterattack before either of them see 34. It bugs me that, while fictional, I will be older than those characters can ever be. I would love some sort of alternate UC story where the actions of CCA are delayed until they're in the fifties or sixties.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I mean, they're soldiers. It's one anime where half the cast being prettyboys at most barely into their twenties actually works.

Gundam pilots are basically somewhere between flying aces and armoured knights. I don't see the audiences being weirded out by that any more than they would be by Pacific Rim. Or Iron Man.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
one of the funny things is that most of the supporting cast in sequel series Zeta are a more realistic age for their jobs----so Jerid Messa and Emma Sheen, being newly-minted flight academy grads, are 25, putting them at about the same age as most of the veterans from the first series.

e: Char's canon age has always been dumb as hell and I've always mentally added at least 5-6 years on it. Like he was 19 in 0079? Gimme a break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Harime Nui posted:

one of the funny things is that most of the supporting cast in sequel series Zeta are a more realistic age for their jobs----so Jerid Messa and Emma Sheen, being newly-minted flight academy grads, are 25, putting them at about the same age as most of the veterans from the first series.

e: Char's canon age has always been dumb as hell and I've always mentally added at least 5-6 years on it. Like he was 19 in 0079? Gimme a break

That's pretty much the only way most anime makes any sense, yeah.

Apparently it comes from how Japanese audiences find it unrealistic that anyone has a life after graduating high school that isn't soul-crushing drudgery.