Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Also, does anyone have an issue with sprinting not working half the time in this game? Like, full stamina bar, holding circle, moving at full speed, but it just won't go into a sprint. I think "WHY THE gently caress ARENT YOU SPRINTING WHAT THE gently caress" is the most common thing I've yelled at my monitor during this SotFS playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

^Lol I thought that was only me or my controller being busted.

BattleTech posted:

I got all the achievements in Dark Souls 2 and it burned me out real bad for it. By the time I was done I had 160 hours on a single character

I am assuming that is more than 1 playthrough on that character ?

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Volte posted:

Also, does anyone have an issue with sprinting not working half the time in this game? Like, full stamina bar, holding circle, moving at full speed, but it just won't go into a sprint. I think "WHY THE gently caress ARENT YOU SPRINTING WHAT THE gently caress" is the most common thing I've yelled at my monitor during this SotFS playthrough.

If you spend all of your stamina, you get winded for a bit and can't sprint. You can sprint more overall if you stop just before stamina reaches zero and let it refill, instead of emptying the bar completely

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

If you spend all of your stamina, you get winded for a bit and can't sprint. You can sprint more overall if you stop just before stamina reaches zero and let it refill, instead of emptying the bar completely
Okay it seems like this is in fact what's happening. I expected to be able to sprint again once the bar refills but there's a few more seconds after that too. If you run out of stamina at all then you can't sprint for 5-6 seconds. I think it mainly happens to me if I'm trying to run away or make distance in the middle of a battle, having just used all my stamina swinging. At least it's not as bad as the equivalent mechanic in Dragon's Dogma where you get winded and can't even move or do anything for like 10 seconds in the middle of a battle.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Volte posted:

Either it's a busted controller or you've let your stamina bar drain completely in the last few seconds. To expand on the latter tidbit (which shows up AFAIK in all Soulsborne games), you can't run after your stamina bar has drained until it reaches full again. But that said at least in DS2 you can perform any other action that would consume stamina, which will then reset the flag as long as your stamina bar doesn't go negative again.

If that doesn't solve things then it's likely your controller. Load up the relevant utility (if you mention a monitor you're probably on PC) and wiggle the buttons around to see what happens. In my case I recently had the R2 button firing a lot on a years-old Logitech F310, and upon some examination I found the analog trigger was perpetually miscalibrated to about 40/255 at a resting position. Parts can and do eventually wear out. :shrug:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Ok gently caress Sir Alonne, I've made it to the boss room twice out of ten runs. One time I decided to do it meticulously and kill everything, and summoned the two NPC helpers, and I got my first human invasion in 45 hours of playtime. Didn't matter though because I accidentally fell into the lower part of the second room (with the grate floor) and was killed by literally 12 Alonne Knights at the same time. So...moving on.

^ Yeah I figured you couldn't sprint again until the stamina bar refills, but it's actually a bit longer than that - I was just testing it.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress you Armorer Dennis why are you even in the Iron Keep I already killed you STOP SOUL STORMING ME

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Your Gay Uncle posted:

gently caress you Armorer Dennis why are you even in the Iron Keep I already killed you STOP SOUL STORMING ME

Don't worry, once you kill him things will get easier from there.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Brume Tower was tearing my rear end apart and now the boss is feeding it to me. I can pretty reliably get him down to half health but that elemental sword phase wrecks my poo poo.

Angry Butthole's tanky shield and armor are no match for the Fume rage!

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 7, 2018

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Paracelsus posted:

Don't worry, once you kill him things will get easier from there.

Morgan Freeman's Voice posted:

This was a lie of course.

Fifteen of Many posted:

Brume Tower was tearing my rear end apart and now the boss is feeding it to me. I can pretty reliably get him down to half health but that elemental sword phase wrecks my poo poo.

Angry Butthole's tanky shield and armor are no match for the Fume rage!

Switch to havel's shield and put on an armor set that has a high resist to dark/pryo. It'll absorb that leftover havel bleed through damage.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If you drunk Estus near him he'll reliably do a super slow overhead slam that you can use to get several hits in (unless you're right in front of him, then he'll just stab you). I got him down the whole way just by drinking all 10 Estuses in a row and punishing him immediately afterwards. He didn't even get a chance to do his second phase.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I ended up getting through both he and Alonne which means it’s time for Iron Passage and Smelter Blue! I hear literally nothing but horror stories so I’m very excited to mash my fingers in this metaphorical door.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Smelter 2.0 isn't that bad, and neither is the corpse run once you get used to a few of the roll dodges and accepting there's probably 2 places you will just never evade the arrow. Well if you run left at the start anyway. There's 2 (3?) pathways.

Once you finally get a feel for his swing timing, which isn't quite the same as Smelter 1.0, you'll phone it in. But, yea, gently caress that swing animation.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
It took about two hours, with most of that time spent dying in various ways to the runback (usually a bad roll in the lever gauntlet), but Smelter Blue went down.

The Ivory King dlc has so far been the easiest but most visually interesting on the three. I’ve cleared up to the Burnt Ivory King and got him in two shots. Feel like I cheated with those extra knights. On my first attempt he killed the spare knight quickly but I got him down to 15% or so on my own. On the second he just kinda fixated on the knight and by the time it was 1v1 he was almost dead.

Three last bosses and I’m done with NG number one: Darklurker, the Ancient Dragon, and whatever is at the end of this horrible ice field with Satan’s Killer Reindeer.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The only things you get from killing the Ancient Dragon are a Giant's Soul and a Petrified Dragon Bone, and since it looks like you've already killed Vendrick there's little point in that. The fight itself is terrible, so don't feel obligated to do it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You do not need to kill the ancient dragon for 100% trophies. let him live

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Bogart posted:

You do not need to kill the ancient dragon for 100% trophies. let him live

yeah he's cool plus fighting him sucks major rear end

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Because adding details is fun: The Ancient Dragon fight isn't hard. It's just inconsistent.

There are a few strategies for killing it, but in the end every single one of these seems to run up against an RNG roll that will result in an attack that has a high probability to instantly kill you.

By the time I did it a week or two ago during my vanilla run, I was already leveled high enough that the reward wasn't even worth the effort. Total time sink and little reason to do it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It rules the two optional endgame ~lore~ fights of base DS2 are a guy with a trillion HP with an rear end moveset but can OHKO you if you slip up and a dragon with a trillion HP which plays more like a puzzle setpiece than a real fight and can also OHKO you

e: Okay there's Darklurker too, he gets a pass

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dark lurker isn’t even a ~lore~ fight, there is zero justification or explanation for his existence. He’s just an optional challenge boss and he is actually good at that, probably because they couldn’t hand wave anything away with plot bullshit and consequently their design process went further than “big numbers = so epic”.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
dark lurker is fun but getting to him sucks because it's limited to a covenant that has stat reqs and also the cave can be a bit of a slog

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah the chasm sucks and whoever thought up the humanity admission fee should be kneecapped. The only other thing about the chasm that isn’t stupid is that you can invade people in it for special rewards.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

skasion posted:

, probably because they couldn’t hand wave anything away with plot bullshit and consequently their design process went further than “big numbers = so epic”.

What the gently caress are you taking about

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

What the gently caress are you taking about

Vendrick and Ancient Dragon are godawful fights but they have really big stats

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

vendrick isn't supposed to be epic. it's literally you pummeling a long desiccated corpse.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Vendrick is a pushover if you have all the Giant Souls (you need the one the Ancient Dragon drops for a total of five to really make it easy, otherwise he's still got something like 2x or 4x defenses). I don't think the fight is intended to be epic or even much of a fight. My interpretation is that the Giant Souls don't actually make his defenses weaker, but rather that they add the power of the Giants to your own in the battle against Vendrick. Basically you can't do poo poo to him yourself, so you symbolically recruit a small army of ancient, incredibly powerful beings with a vendetta against him to help you, and only with the full complement can you equal his power.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I will never 100% this game because I refuse to fight that Disturbed album cover.

Also Vendrick has the same weakness as any other giant enemy, hug his butt.
That's why they put the lava spewing dudes in Brume tower as punishment. :v:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ok finally finished this game. A few of my thoughts on it.

Generally I liked most of it but there is definitely some weird choices by From in certain aspects.

-Too many small separated zones instead of a few bigger/medium sized zones. Best levels were bigger areas like Lost Bastille, DLC areas, Drangelic Castle.
-Liked the multi directional roll which made the combat a lot more nuanced.
-Online is much better and still really active(both duels/co op).
-Too many boss fights but it probably has some of the hardest bosses to 1v1 in Souls games.
-Regular enemies design was also uninspired like some of the bosses.
-Some areas were visually interesting like Black Gulch or Huntsman Corpse but not really interesting as levels.

Anyway I thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe it has something to do with me not having to wait 3 years for a sequel and also played it with the dlc/sotfs edition.

Lifegems also don't make the game easier. I think its a broken item early game but half through I just stopped using it. I rather just time Estus and get a massive heal instead of buying lifegems/radiant gems and spamming them in a fight.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ulio posted:

Ok finally finished this game. A few of my thoughts on it.

Generally I liked most of it but there is definitely some weird choices by From in certain aspects.

-Too many small separated zones instead of a few bigger/medium sized zones. Best levels were bigger areas like Lost Bastille, DLC areas, Drangelic Castle.
-Liked the multi directional roll which made the combat a lot more nuanced.
-Online is much better and still really active(both duels/co op).
-Too many boss fights but it probably has some of the hardest bosses to 1v1 in Souls games.
-Regular enemies design was also uninspired like some of the bosses.
-Some areas were visually interesting like Black Gulch or Huntsman Corpse but not really interesting as levels.

Anyway I thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe it has something to do with me not having to wait 3 years for a sequel and also played it with the dlc/sotfs edition.

Lifegems also don't make the game easier. I think its a broken item early game but half through I just stopped using it. I rather just time Estus and get a massive heal instead of buying lifegems/radiant gems and spamming them in a fight.

What platform did you play on? Both Xbone and PC seemed really barren to me once I got past Forest of Fallen Giants.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
I'm currently on a recent playthrough on the ps4 and it has been somewhat active. I've been invaded almost ten times and actually had another player be summoned by the looking glass knight.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

Because adding details is fun: The Ancient Dragon fight isn't hard. It's just inconsistent.

There are a few strategies for killing it, but in the end every single one of these seems to run up against an RNG roll that will result in an attack that has a high probability to instantly kill you.

By the time I did it a week or two ago during my vanilla run, I was already leveled high enough that the reward wasn't even worth the effort. Total time sink and little reason to do it.

Toe strat is like 99% consistent, the only thing you need to react to is him flying up and all you have to do is run while keeping his tail in view.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

DrNutt posted:

What platform did you play on? Both Xbone and PC seemed really barren to me once I got past Forest of Fallen Giants.

By barren do you mean visuals, level design or online activity? I played on PC SOTFS edition. I actually found a lot of people in the last DLC as well.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Decided to go through and do all the content again with power-stanced curved swords. Seems like a lot of endgame bosses are strong against slashing damage. Aside from that though, it's making me really appreciate the level design in the DLCs, especially Ivory King. (Also, Steelheart Ellie is basically useless in the fight against Elana, but kicks rear end in the fight against Aava.)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What is Steelheart Ellie's build? She is a tank. I have seen her tank abilities that 1 hit even if you are blocking.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Ulio posted:

What is Steelheart Ellie's build? She is a tank. I have seen her tank abilities that 1 hit even if you are blocking.

She's got powerstanced caestuses, so she doesn't have a shield and her punches don't do all that much damage. Every time I summoned her for Elana, she'd die by her second summon and then I'd be running around trying not to get thumped by one or two Velstadts.

She has a pyromancy flame that she only uses for Aava though, and that's way more effective. Masterless Glencour was way less helpful when I summoned him for Aava, so he was mostly just good for trading off aggro.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ulio posted:

NPC summons have greatly inflated hp because Lucatiel was near impossible to keep alive when the game was new.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Should I feel bad about summoning all three NPCs in the Frozen Outskirts because oh my GOD

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fifteen of Many posted:

Should I feel bad about summoning all three NPCs in the Frozen Outskirts because oh my GOD
Frozen Outskirts is such an extensive gauntlet that I'm invariably shocked if the host doesn't fill all three phantom slots. Out of all the co-op areas it is the one that leans heaviest on that gimmick, for good or bad.

Honestly the only thing you should care about is how many of the NPC phantoms if any you're taking into the boss encounter. It starts out as just one cat, but the second one appears partway through based on the remaining health of the first and on how many phantoms you have. If you're alone it only shows up at 25% HP left, while with one or more phantoms it joins the fight at 50-75% HP left. With another player around you get a lot of situational awareness, but the NPCs are dim bulbs at best.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

dis astranagant posted:

NPC summons have greatly inflated hp because Lucatiel was near impossible to keep alive when the game was new.

NG++ Lucateil just facetanks Rotten in a slugfest race that seems impossible to save her from. If you ever pause your melee onslaught, she'll immediately draw his agro and take a bunch of unblocked hits or get pushed into a firepit.

Has no one ever been able to find NPC database/script entries in the game to see what the crazy stats are for each character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fifteen of Many posted:

No, having all three makes both the zone and the bosses manageable.