Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Benjy must be contributing bits off the air because his on air schtick is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

euphronius posted:

Benjy must be contributing bits off the air because his on air schtick is bad

Most likely. I guess if they put him in the back, never mentioned him, late or not, and never gave him air time I probably wouldn't mind him so much.

After years of Artie on the show, I was spoiled. Especially when hearing reruns from the Jackie years. My opinion, disagree if you must, is that the best years were satellite, with Artie.
Especially when it was Artie Vs ETM.

"Your ya nkees suck th ey al most lost to my A's la st night"

"Oh, so you're happy that the A's lost? You are a dumb poo poo head aren't you"?

"Ye eah well it too ook them ten in nings to wi in"

"Thats great, bye poo poo head midget"

Compared to hearing reruns from the jackie era, I love the artie era way better, but gently caress I hate Benjy. At least when they busted jackies balls it wasn't just howard going on some rant about being late, or doing schtick or whatever. It was (howard doing jackie voice) "Yeah, Nancy is so great, and we need to buy another beach house because we can have more room for jokemaster juniors" and whatever the gently caress.

To possibly quote ETM: "I re eally wish that th ey would get rid of Be enjy and bring back ja ackie"

I'm seriously thinking of emailing howard and telling him to fire benjy and bring jackie back. I doubt one email will do anything but maybe if enough people did it......

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
The year leading up to satellite was the best year. Complaining was at its all time highest and all complaints ended with a defeated "looking forward to satellite and getting out of here" remark. I guess once the Sirius announcement was made up until the actual jump was its own era for me. Tom was like bad cop and good cop at one point during that stretch too.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

swims posted:

The year leading up to satellite was the best year. Complaining was at its all time highest and all complaints ended with a defeated "looking forward to satellite and getting out of here" remark. I guess once the Sirius announcement was made up until the actual jump was its own era for me. Tom was like bad cop and good cop at one point during that stretch too.

The hard part of listening to clips from that era is all of the bullshit promises Howard was making that he never followed up on, like having three channels full of content when he only made one, and all of the different show ideas that never went anywhere.

There was something that I noticed when I relistened to the 2007 shows for the first time. Howard would occasionally pause the show to talk about some event from his past career. It didn't occur to me until later, but he was recording bits for the first History of Howard Stern special. He had gotten so lazy at that point that he wasn't willing to sit in a studio and record bits about his career, so he decided to just shove them into the main show.

DeadBonesBrook fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 6, 2018

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

DeadBonesBrook posted:

The hard part of listening to clips from that era is all of the bullshit promises Howard was making that he never followed up on, like having three channels full of content when he only made one, and all of the different show ideas that never went anywhere.

There was something that I noticed when I relistened to the 2007 shows for the first time. Howard would occasionally pause the show to talk about some event from his past career. It didn't occur to me until later, but he was recording bits for the first History of Howard Stern special. He had gotten so lazy at that point that he wasn't willing to sit in a studio and record bits about his career, so he decided to just shove them into the main show.

Wait what? Can you give examples of that? To this day the guy still stops the show to talk about the past.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Moniker posted:

Wait what? Can you give examples of that? To this day the guy still stops the show to talk about the past.

If you listen to the first HoHS there are segments where it goes from the documentary/interview format to clips from the (then) current shows, where Howard would just stop what he was doing and say something like "I remember my first program director, he was..." which prompted an hour-long recollection about a person from his past, with Artie/Robin sometimes chiming in.

The reason he stopped to do these discussions was so that they could be included in the first HoHS, not because anyone asked him about any of the topics he was discussing. He was too lazy to just record his own recollections about his career and decided to fill up portions of the regular show instead.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

I never noticed that, but it seems pretty smart and efficient.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Hes got notebooks full of ideas for when they get to satellite. NOTEBOOKS FULL I tell ya!

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I was just about to write *checks notes* Evil Dave Letterman a note.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

an adult beverage posted:

I was just about to write *checks notes* Evil Dave Letterman a note.

Ah poo poo, man. :smith:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
gently caress, Really?

gently caress man.........:(

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Super sad and only 63:
https://www.reddit.com/r/howardstern/comments/8wp9gb/evil_dave_letterman_has_died/

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
Had he been on recently? Or was he "around"?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

I loved that guy... The PSA bits and all the out takes where it was discovered that he was borderline illiterate. And Howard yelling at him for trying to do bits and going off script rather than just reading the material they wrote for him.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

DeadBonesBrook posted:

If you listen to the first HoHS there are segments where it goes from the documentary/interview format to clips from the (then) current shows, where Howard would just stop what he was doing and say something like "I remember my first program director, he was..." which prompted an hour-long recollection about a person from his past, with Artie/Robin sometimes chiming in.

The reason he stopped to do these discussions was so that they could be included in the first HoHS, not because anyone asked him about any of the topics he was discussing. He was too lazy to just record his own recollections about his career and decided to fill up portions of the regular show instead.

That's some serious speculation since Howard does that all the time, before and after History of Howard Stern. Off the top of my head there was a great discussion he did in 2005 that was started because his daughter graduated from college. This was before they went to Sirius and two years before the History of Howard Stern. Do you think he was calculating all that two years ahead of time?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ah poo poo, man. :smith:

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Former Human posted:

That's some serious speculation since Howard does that all the time, before and after History of Howard Stern. Off the top of my head there was a great discussion he did in 2005 that was started because his daughter graduated from college. This was before they went to Sirius and two years before the History of Howard Stern. Do you think he was calculating all that two years ahead of time?

I can't speak for that segment in question as it was before the time when I started listening, but the ones in 2007 were definitely planned. It wasn't obvious at the time, but if you listen to the first HoHS and relisten to the '07 shows then it becomes really obvious that the segments in question were being prepped ahead of time. He would literally stop the show to talk about something from his past, which just happened to occur during the early years of his career that were being discussed in the first HoHS.

These weren't segments that developed naturally out of discussion and they didn't take any phone calls, as it was just Howard reminiscing for an hour. These discussions were then played during the relevant segments of the first HoHS.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqyvAl633Vg&t=30s

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

"To those who survived the Holocaust, uhhh, cheer up."

Also who still had glasses like that in 2006?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Former Human posted:

And he also did it like last week. And all of the time.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

I'm telling everybody to survive the holocaust, uhh, we want you to, uhh cheer up...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Artie is remembering what it was like to work with Evil Dave.

https://twitter.com/artiequitter/status/1016252773514530816
https://twitter.com/artiequitter/status/1016253536873697280

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm trying so hard to make sense of those tweets. I feel like I've got maybe 40% of them.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I'm trying so hard to make sense of those tweets. I feel like I've got maybe 40% of them.

I miss Artie's stories about working with the Hack Pack.

https://twitter.com/artiequitter/status/1016254214232735744

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Lifespan posted:

I was just talking to the guys in the back and the uncut Sour Gary phone call with Pete is loving hilarious.

Everyone that enjoys the brilliance of Sour Shoes should check this out. He's a savant.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
https://twitter.com/artiequitter/status/1016188176505942016

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 9, 2018

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Are the light-skinned blacks less rambunctious?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've always wondered what Perth Amboy was like... not enough to pull off the highway and check, though.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Someone on Reddit actually collected Artie's whole EDL "tribute":

Loyal Stern fans might know this story about Evil Dave Letterman & I but in case they forgot it (Which is prob true) & for those who never heard it Im gonna try & tell it in the next few tweets. EDL gave us many laughs. He died this week so call this my tribute to him...

Most fans thought EDL was voiced by Fred or another master impressionist who did tons of ppl & was a normal talented performer. No. He was maybe the weirdest creepiest annoying goof to ever be on the show. Yes. On the HSS! I gotta say harmless too. But man dumb. Real dumb!...

He just happened to be from basically the same area in the Midwest Letterman is from. Same accent. So w a slight adjustment he sounded exactly like DL. Eerie how on the money it was. & as retarded as he was he mastered subtle pauses inflections & comedic timing DL was known for-o make side $ he would charge fans 50 bucks to leave an out going message on their VM. Now when I say creepy annoying & dumb it’s not negative. At least in the Stern world. Benjy Rich & Sal hosed w him in bits that made me cry laughing & when he was on air he sat next to me-We’d all write lines for him. Me not many. But Freddie and Benjy worked hard on them. They were genius. But he’d mis pronounce tons of stuff. Or add his own jokes. Drove us crazy. But part of HS genius was making the mistakes hilarious too. So EDL was comedy calls GOLD...

My one issue was his breathe. Holy fuckin poo poo. Imagine dipping a Syrian Cab driver into Sulfer. Then covering him w burnt hair & a homeless mans feces the color green cuz he’s septic move him to an un air conditioned trailer in Perth Amboy for a summer w bad water pressure-EDL’s breathe was a tad worse than what you’d assume that cabbies taint was around Labor Day. & he sat an inch from me. But for Comedy Gold u deal w it. How? I chose lining my nose w heroin & blow. Expensive but affective. He was funny. I despised not him. The thought of him-Knowing all this here’s the reason I’m typing. I did comedy on the road a lot then. A place I played called Zanies was in Vernon Hills Illinois. Right next where EDL lived. He would see I was there & beg me to introduce the show on stage. He wanted the press. Christ. I’d say ok-

He like most grifters was good at using passive aggressive bullshit to get something without directly asking for it. In this case payment to intro me after begging to do it. I like most marks did. I paid him 200 bucks each intro. I guess I’m retarded too. This was an odd time-In my stand up career. I was at the point where I could play theaters. Do 1 show instead of 5 in 2 days at a club and make more cash. Zanies was good to me. I did the club once more before movin to theaters. So I had 6 sold out shows. 3 Friday. 3 Saturday. After doin HSS all wk-

So what I’m sayin is I was tired. Angry. Irritable beyond belief. EDL doin the intro didn’t help. Plus it’s money outta my pocket that went to essentially nothing. Zanies had no formal green room. I’d wait in a cramped hot office to get on do an hour then wait for next show-Bein alone was the world to me. But no. EDL felt he could use my down time to sit in the office w me and ask career advice while shoveling free wings w sauce dripping from his mongoloid type face. Wings on my tab btw. Ok. Here’s the epilogue -The office had a phone of course. In between shows 1 and 2. Night 2 EDL & I are alone rubbing elbows in the office. I’m listening to Yukko the clown calling a black dildo the N word. (A prop he’d bring) knowing Levy would be next and close by eating blue cheese dressing out of -

A girls rear end. Essentially Bob closed w a rape. Then I’d close. One time 2 mins into an hour set I slipped on blue cheese & fell onto the black dildo. So u guessed it I wasn’t chipper in the office w EDL. He sees the phone & goes hey man you’ve been Great to me. Can I leave an EDL outgoing message on ur VM. I was aggravated but the voice is awesome and I could think of a funny line for it. Plus it killed time. I said sure. I dialed it up. Got it set to record and wrote down his script. I gave him phone. He hosed it up conservatively 8 times-

By the time he got it right I was happy I had it done but I wanted to find a pizza oven and shove his head in. It got calm but tense. We were both silent as I heard Levy yell “can I get a girl volunteer to let me eat something out of her rear end”. Thoughts of suicide kicked in -

Then. After tense hateful silence EDL taps my shoulder. I said what like Engelbert says it to Buttermaker in The Bad Need Bears. W hatred (Google it). And w no sense of irony. Joking. Or sarcasm EDL says to me in a tone indicating he’s mad at me for not offering this-“So how do u wanna work this?” I asked Work what? U wanna just do it here. Now? I again yelled DO WHAt? He then says “The 50 dollars u owe me. The fee for leaving the outgoing message ! Do u wanna just add it to the intro fee? Now anyone else is of at least thought -

They were joking. But no. Not him. Not this B.O. ridden reject from rear end in a top hat island I knew instantly he was serious. I got up. I reached into my pocket and I calmly gave him 2 20s. A 5. And 5 singles. I then asked him to leave. He did. And on my life. As a Catholic. I then -Lowered my head. And cried. Up until Levy with his mouth filled w Blue Cheese and rural Illinois pussy pubic hair said. “And now ladies and Gentlemen Evil Dave Letterman to Bring up Artie. After EDL bombed forever and dug a hole I had to dig out of I remember-

Dreaming fondly of today. The day EDL died. I’m still mostly happy. He was a shithead. But hey. So am I. RIP EDL. That’s the story. Bye. Love u all!!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Artie is a wack packer now, right?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

What do Syrian cab drivers smell like? I've never met one.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Man that story is funny as gently caress. It reminds me of his time on the show and how on Monday he'd tell the wacky stories about his weekend.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, so did Artie like or dislike EDL? I still can't tell.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Ok, so did Artie like or dislike EDL? I still can't tell.

A little of both, I think.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2d39ga1Wh8

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 10, 2018

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Artie must have had the flu when he wrote those.

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
RIP Evil Dave.

Top-tier wack-packer imo, and some of Fred/Benjy's best stuff. It was great even when he came into the studio as himself for the Newly Wed game.

Plus he did a lot for people with low self-estidle.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
Wow what a shock, whiny titty baby Artie the Junkie has something passive aggressive to say about someone he worked with that didn’t, in the words of the GREAT COMEDY GOD Shuli Egar, “pay his dues” like he shove unknown substances stepped, pissed and cut crudely on in some Jersey basement before entering his fat olfactory glands as a grand attempt to not seek therapy for his HIIII DADDYYYYY death curse.

gently caress outta here. Artie should croak so his mother and sister can breathe a sigh of relief already.

Honest injun: fan of Artie here, but you gotta be kidding to this day and age in TYOOL 2018 flaunt the system publicly and recklessly abusing drugs on loving TWITTER like a PUSSY BOY perpetually talking poo poo for nearly ten years. Give it a rest.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Cliche Guevara posted:

Wow what a shock, whiny titty baby Artie the Junkie has something passive aggressive to say about someone he worked with that didn’t, in the words of the GREAT COMEDY GOD Shuli Egar, “pay his dues” like he shove unknown substances stepped, pissed and cut crudely on in some Jersey basement before entering his fat olfactory glands as a grand attempt to not seek therapy for his HIIII DADDYYYYY death curse.

gently caress outta here. Artie should croak so his mother and sister can breathe a sigh of relief already.

Honest injun: fan of Artie here, but you gotta be kidding to this day and age in TYOOL 2018 flaunt the system publicly and recklessly abusing drugs on loving TWITTER like a PUSSY BOY perpetually talking poo poo for nearly ten years. Give it a rest.

I didn't know Crazy Alice had an account.

Hi fred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

EngineerJoe posted:

I didn't know Crazy Alice had an account.

Hi fred

Who Dis?