Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Yeah, I ate the whole pope but released him from the diplo screen not from the province screen. Shocked to find something not super-well-documented in the eu4 tooltips :p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Yeah, I ate the whole pope but released him from the diplo screen not from the province screen. Shocked to find something not super-well-documented in the eu4 tooltips :p.

There's also an event that fires to spit the pope out that usually happens pretty quickly after you've cored Rome. Can't find the documentation on it unfortunately.

Unrelated note - what's a fun start in Africa? Would like to be away from the northern parts so I don't have to deal with Ottomans and Mamluks right away.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Eldred posted:

Unrelated note - what's a fun start in Africa? Would like to be away from the northern parts so I don't have to deal with Ottomans and Mamluks right away.

Ethiopia is a brokenly good start but fails on your first test

Ajuraan is poor but being a muslim theocracy with decent ideas is a fairly interesting start

Butua have amazing NIs but are a lovely tribal vassal of a slightly bigger lovely tribal monarchy and start without feudalism. The independence war is easy though, Kilwa usually supports you

Songhai also have good NIs, the sub-Sahara is probably the most fun 'region' of Africa, but you start with extremely bad, old monarch and heir and no feudalism

Zazzau has shittier NIs than Songhai, but with a young god-queen.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

RabidWeasel posted:

Ethiopia is a brokenly good start but fails on your first test

Ajuraan is poor but being a muslim theocracy with decent ideas is a fairly interesting start

Butua have amazing NIs but are a lovely tribal vassal of a slightly bigger lovely tribal monarchy and start without feudalism. The independence war is easy though, Kilwa usually supports you

Songhai also have good NIs, the sub-Sahara is probably the most fun 'region' of Africa, but you start with extremely bad, old monarch and heir and no feudalism

Zazzau has shittier NIs than Songhai, but with a young god-queen.

Thanks! I might give Ethiopia a try, I forgot that they're Coptic and have that interesting holy site mechanic. Here's hoping for indifferent Ottomans, I don't like relying on them and I definitely don't like them kicking my rear end.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Southeast Africa/Great Lakes games are pretty miserable. It’s basically the same as a Kilwa game but with 100 years of awful slow wars with boring tribal minors in poo poo terrain 1/1/1 provinces tacked on to the front. If you feel the urge to play in that part of the world, just play Kilwa instead. Lock down the cape, crush the minors, start colonizing the East Indies, get infinitely rich, go crazy.

e: actually to flip the discussion back a page, thats the kind of situation in which attrition and supply become serious limiting factors on your ability to win wars. Almost every province you can reach early on is going to have some unholy combination of low dev, arid/tropical, non-coastal and jungle. If you stack armies that are big enough to really hurt your enemies, you WILL be hemorrhaging men most of the time. Plus side is that if you get into a really bad war, you can employ this to jerk your enemies around by just letting them wander aimlessly through the jungle wasting blood and treasure on your many awful interior provinces.

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 6, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Unfortunately either the OE will murder the Mamluks or they will lose to the Mamluks - it's pretty unusual for a status quo in that area because both of the big powers have missions on the same territory.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ahhhhh i’m hype for horde butua. the true golden horde

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I'm hype to play as Dang and have a dang ol' conquest.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Their achievement best be called Dang Nabbit

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They didn’t use any of our ideas for Isle of Man achievements

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Communist Walrus posted:

I'm coming back to this after having not played for, I dunno, two years or so. How do I not suck poo poo at this? I can navigate the early game well enough, but by the mid 1500s a larger power always decides it's time to stomp the poo poo out of me and my "allies" (some of whom I've been friends with the entire game up to that point) usually say "nah brah" and leave me to receive said stomping all by my lonesome.

I've tried several games as Ireland and Oman and the result always seems to be the same. England or the Mamluks get a hair up their rear end, France and the Ottomans tell me "good luck!".

I'm by no means an expert, but I've done several Irish starts. First of all, you've got some time before England should come a knockin. They start off with a war with France really early on, and then usually have to get through the War of the Roses as well. During that time you're looking to gobble up the rest of the Island, and maybe turn one of the guys into a vassal. The whole place turns in a hot mess of alliances right quick, but with careful consideration you can usually target alliances that can't actually support each other. So you tear apart one dude, and either siege down his place or leave one troop to prevent any recruitment while you run down his buddy. The hardest nuts to crack are if anyone hops into bed with England or Scotland like half-way through taking over the place.

Eventually you want to get in with Scotland, the size of their standing army with what you can muster seems to be enough to keep England at bay. France is also good to keep on tap, but depending on how the mainland has been going they might not be able to hop into a war. If you can get in with France when they re-tangle with England at some point, just jamming the straight with troops (maybe try to send 1 unit over to Wales or southern England to loot/flip provinces) and holding out while the ticking war score eventually gets your side a peace agreement can get you the entire island (maybe the isle of mann as well). Sometimes England gets into a scrap with someone and you can pounce while they're away (had one game they went off to tangle with Denmark or something and I hopped all over stabbing them when I saw their standing army/navy was low).

As an alternative, sometimes stabbing Scotland first is really workable. It can be tricky with France garunteeing their independence, and they're going to have a better standing army, but if you catch England attacking them you can take a pretty good bite out of them and if you've got the rest of the Island can snowball that into gobbling them up pretty easily. Having Ireland (minus maybe the pale) and Scotland and a mainland ally should keep England from jumping your bones.

Like I said I'm pretty bad, but by mid-1500s you should definitely have the rest of the island, and you've probably missed a chance to stab either Scotland or England in the kidneys while they're tangled in another conflict. Turning someone on the island into a March Vassal can be decent (no money but they can field a larger standing army) if you need more muscle while taking the island or getting ready with your knives. Keep an eye on their war status, but also if you're wondering if it is a good time leverage the Ledger to check their army/manpower/navy sizes. England is stupid rich and can flood you with mercs though, so once you're fighting on the island you'll want to be chasing down and murdering fresh stacks they hire, as well as flipping as many provinces so they can't hire as many at once.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Eldred posted:

I had a fun game as Imerina a while ago. The ocean gives a bit of protection against Kilwa, and (once you unite Madagascar) nobody can discover your capital so Europeans don't invade until you interact with them.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I can't tell if it's possible for Ethiopia to end up on good terms with the Ottomans -- even if you don't go north and take Egypt (which you should because it's excellent development territory) the Ottomans will invariably come south to you.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Echoing this. Just did a Songhai playthrough and it was mostly just eating everything in sight, having a blast. But by the time that finished up I was only 7 Admin/Dip levels behind.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

skasion posted:

Southeast Africa/Great Lakes games are pretty miserable. It’s basically the same as a Kilwa game but with 100 years of awful slow wars with boring tribal minors in poo poo terrain 1/1/1 provinces tacked on to the front. If you feel the urge to play in that part of the world, just play Kilwa instead. Lock down the cape, crush the minors, start colonizing the East Indies, get infinitely rich, go crazy.

On the other side, the Kongo region is pretty ripe for birthing an empire. There's a cluster of grassland provinces to seed institutions and maintain tech parity with the Europeans before they come knocking. Then it's crush the minors, lock down the cape, start colonizing South America and/or the East Indies (I like SA because ripping off chunks from European CNs when they're weak is rather satisfying), get infinitely rich, go crazy.

A lot of my games are reverse colonial invasions for some reason. :thunk:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

skasion posted:

Southeast Africa/Great Lakes games are pretty miserable.
I really enjoyed getting the "Victorian Three" achievement. I conquered the Great Lakes area, which was tough because the alliances were stacked against me so it was an interesting challenge to get by. Once I did that I sought alliances outside of the isolated Great Lakes area and used those alliances to join defensive wars which I think I used to vassalize a smaller country in the area or conquer land that I released as a vassal. Once I integrated the vassal I had cored land on the far side of the uncolonized gap and conquered my way through Kongo and up the East African coast. It was really awesome because I beat Europeans to the Cape despite starting so far inland. In the 1700s I focused on colonizing the interior of East Africa and :vince: was it was awesome. I was stupendously rich because it all feeds to Zanzibar and having all those high value trade goods with Manufactories just absurd. I ended up conquering all of Africa while I waited to tech up to 32 for the achievement.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

Restarted to check and it looks like the first province to go protestant always gets the - 100% conversion zeal modifier for 25 years in addition to the permanent -5% religious center modifier. Savescummed a few times and that was always the case, whether it was my province or another country's. So, it'll be a little harder to quickly kill the reformation since at keast one center will be around for at least 25 years.

I presume that if it first spawns in an opm, you can kill the centrer by forcing religion in a peace deal. In my last scum, it popped in opm Salzburg, and I'm waiting for the state religion there to flip to declare war and see if that works (edit: it does).

Edit: Reformed follows the same pattern, the first center gets both the - 100 and the - 5, the other two centers just get the -5.

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 7, 2018

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So i finished up actually getting all the areas in on my map and dear god

I really needed to not be impatient and rush drawing the sea zones.

Regardless, it's functional and I'll fix it up later after I get an actual setup running on this. Incidentally, as a question to any paradox devs, with Dharma's government changes, would it be feasible to add a new type of government alongside the Rep/Mon/Theo trifecta? Or maybe just steal Horde unity and do something with that I guess, just wondering how flexible it'll be for modding.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

skasion posted:

After my aborted attempt in the americas, I decided to do an ideas guy run starting in one of the uncolonized provinces between the african east coast and the great lakes tribes. That's a pretty fun start. You start with feudalism and 3/3/3 tech still allowing you to crush the tribes, even if they ally against you, while alternating conquest along the coast and doing that stuff as normal. At least, that was the plan, until 15 years in when something bizarre happened. A kilwan army used the isolated rebel teleportation mechanic then wiped my split stack before I could react, making me lose the war. I'm pretty sure they also allied during the war and called their new ally in, something I'm pretty sure wasn't supposed to happen. Odd bugs all around.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Eldred posted:

There's also an event that fires to spit the pope out that usually happens pretty quickly after you've cored Rome. Can't find the documentation on it unfortunately.

Mali is a fun as hell, you start with a ruler and heir as bad as Spain's and without feudalism adopted yet and have about 70-80 years to replace your terrible rulers, spread feudalism from your capital (which starts with it already seeded), spawn and adopt colonialism, and catch up on tech before the Portuguese, Spanish, or French start hassling you to steal your coasts. Going for the Abu Bakr II's Ambition achievement was one of the most fun and hectic runs i've had in awhile

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Forts still seem randomly buggy. I noticed a moment on a recent DDRJake stream when he was able to queue a movement through the zones of control of two different forts, and he just sorta did so without thinking about it. Then halfway through the movement he had to redirect, and was suddenly bound by the ZoC and almost got screwed over. No future movements could take that route. I was baffled at first as to why he was allowed to march through all of fortified spain, but I'm pretty sure it was just a bug (that I don't think he noticed or acknowledged).

The first move which I'm p sure is illegal: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/281536091?t=24m45s

And then he stopped mid-route and was unable to resume his previous route without turning around (going from Cuenca to Teruel with Toledo and Valencia forts still up) https://www.twitch.tv/videos/281536091?t=27m46s

Is there an explanation for this that I'm missing? Only one I can think of is that when he tried to move to Teruel again, he's shift-clicking from his previous roundabout move order, but I'm pretty sure he's trying to go there directly. At various points further in the video, he has to dodge around the Valencia fort in ways he didn't have to with that first move order.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 8, 2018

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

StealthArcher posted:

So i finished up actually getting all the areas in on my map and dear god

I really needed to not be impatient and rush drawing the sea zones.

Regardless, it's functional and I'll fix it up later after I get an actual setup running on this. Incidentally, as a question to any paradox devs, with Dharma's government changes, would it be feasible to add a new type of government alongside the Rep/Mon/Theo trifecta? Or maybe just steal Horde unity and do something with that I guess, just wondering how flexible it'll be for modding.

This looks interesting, what are you making?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Forts still seem randomly buggy. I noticed a moment on a recent DDRJake stream when he was able to queue a movement through the zones of control of two different forts, and he just sorta did so without thinking about it. Then halfway through the movement he had to redirect, and was suddenly bound by the ZoC and almost got screwed over. No future movements could take that route. I was baffled at first as to why he was allowed to march through all of fortified spain, but I'm pretty sure it was just a bug (that I don't think he noticed or acknowledged).

The first move which I'm p sure is illegal: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/281536091?t=24m45s

And then he stopped mid-route and was unable to resume his previous route without turning around (going from Cuenca to Teruel with Toledo and Valencia forts still up) https://www.twitch.tv/videos/281536091?t=27m46s

Is there an explanation for this that I'm missing? Only one I can think of is that when he tried to move to Teruel again, he's shift-clicking from his previous roundabout move order, but I'm pretty sure he's trying to go there directly. At various points further in the video, he has to dodge around the Valencia fort in ways he didn't have to with that first move order.

Are they active at the time?
If they’re not paying for forts you can path through them as if they are normal provinces? Just don’t reset the path after they become activated

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Captain Mediocre posted:

This looks interesting, what are you making?

People have asked for two things more than most, an EUIV in a setting with magic/fantasy elements, and an EUIV that takes all the mod systems and intertwines them.

Its my ongoing freetime attempt at both, but its still in the early building stages.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It's still a tragedy, that development was completely dropped for that kind of finished Warcraft total conversion. It had spells and so, so many different factions to play as.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

Are they active at the time?
If they’re not paying for forts you can path through them as if they are normal provinces? Just don’t reset the path after they become activated

Yes. You can tell from the video, but they were both active. If they weren't, the sieges would've resolved in one tick (they didn't; they were normal sieges).

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

THE BAR posted:

It's still a tragedy, that development was completely dropped for that kind of finished Warcraft total conversion. It had spells and so, so many different factions to play as.

I assume it's just easier to convert CK2 (presumably because it's less complicated) because that has some awesome ones.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

No Kiev stop it. Where are you going Kiev

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I assume it's just easier to convert CK2 (presumably because it's less complicated) because that has some awesome ones.

But CK2 isn't as good as EU4! :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

skasion posted:

No Kiev stop it. Where are you going Kiev

lol, I always enjoy seeing Keiv pop from that one Ruthenian province on the far side of the Carpathians.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
So I was just flicking through the map to see what was going on and, uh

I don't even know how this happened as the elective monarchy fired and Lithuania was under PU to Poland like normal.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

lol, I always enjoy seeing Keiv pop from that one Ruthenian province on the far side of the Carpathians.

They should probably do something about that, the reason it exists is that those cores predate the map rework which made the Carpathians impassable.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Rynoto posted:

So I was just flicking through the map to see what was going on and, uh

I don't even know how this happened as the elective monarchy fired and Lithuania was under PU to Poland like normal.
Based on what I've seen Lithuania slips out of Poland's butterfingered hands after a few decades without fail these days.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 8, 2018

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Why don't we take Kiev.. and push it somewhere else!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

ZypherIM posted:

I'm by no means an expert, but I've done several Irish starts. First of all, you've got some time before England should come a knockin. They start off with a war with France really early on, and then usually have to get through the War of the Roses as well. During that time you're looking to gobble up the rest of the Island, and maybe turn one of the guys into a vassal. The whole place turns in a hot mess of alliances right quick, but with careful consideration you can usually target alliances that can't actually support each other. So you tear apart one dude, and either siege down his place or leave one troop to prevent any recruitment while you run down his buddy. The hardest nuts to crack are if anyone hops into bed with England or Scotland like half-way through taking over the place.

Eventually you want to get in with Scotland, the size of their standing army with what you can muster seems to be enough to keep England at bay. France is also good to keep on tap, but depending on how the mainland has been going they might not be able to hop into a war. If you can get in with France when they re-tangle with England at some point, just jamming the straight with troops (maybe try to send 1 unit over to Wales or southern England to loot/flip provinces) and holding out while the ticking war score eventually gets your side a peace agreement can get you the entire island (maybe the isle of mann as well). Sometimes England gets into a scrap with someone and you can pounce while they're away (had one game they went off to tangle with Denmark or something and I hopped all over stabbing them when I saw their standing army/navy was low).

As an alternative, sometimes stabbing Scotland first is really workable. It can be tricky with France garunteeing their independence, and they're going to have a better standing army, but if you catch England attacking them you can take a pretty good bite out of them and if you've got the rest of the Island can snowball that into gobbling them up pretty easily. Having Ireland (minus maybe the pale) and Scotland and a mainland ally should keep England from jumping your bones.

Like I said I'm pretty bad, but by mid-1500s you should definitely have the rest of the island, and you've probably missed a chance to stab either Scotland or England in the kidneys while they're tangled in another conflict. Turning someone on the island into a March Vassal can be decent (no money but they can field a larger standing army) if you need more muscle while taking the island or getting ready with your knives. Keep an eye on their war status, but also if you're wondering if it is a good time leverage the Ledger to check their army/manpower/navy sizes. England is stupid rich and can flood you with mercs though, so once you're fighting on the island you'll want to be chasing down and murdering fresh stacks they hire, as well as flipping as many provinces so they can't hire as many at once.

I started over as Leinster with the intent of paying more attention to the diplo side of things to help fend off the redcoat menace, and then almost immediately I get a royal marriage offer from England. welp

Eventually I took over all of Ireland, then Scotland, and then I stabbed England in the back at an opportune time and whittled them down in subsequent wars until I'd booted them from the British Isles completely. At some point they managed to get a colonist over to North America, which became their new home. They went pretty apeshit with the colonizing, at one point even managing to (briefly) claw their way back to great power status. Now they're a thorn in my side when it comes to trade power in the North American east coast nodes, but fighting them by churning out frigates is much preferable to the earlier land wars.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Communist Walrus posted:

I started over as Leinster with the intent of paying more attention to the diplo side of things to help fend off the redcoat menace, and then almost immediately I get a royal marriage offer from England. welp

Eventually I took over all of Ireland, then Scotland, and then I stabbed England in the back at an opportune time and whittled them down in subsequent wars until I'd booted them from the British Isles completely. At some point they managed to get a colonist over to North America, which became their new home. They went pretty apeshit with the colonizing, at one point even managing to (briefly) claw their way back to great power status. Now they're a thorn in my side when it comes to trade power in the North American east coast nodes, but fighting them by churning out frigates is much preferable to the earlier land wars.

Yea befriending England early can work really well, as getting them to hop into a war with Scotland, then just not giving them any land can work just fine. You get like a .. 30 year? malus where people won't join wars with you on the promise of getting land because you didn't do it, but having England break Scotland's back while you take a big chunk (and maybe demand they free the isles for you to vassalize later) means you can go fight weakened Scotland later on your own without England's help anyways.

I'm not sure exactly what England's starting income is but they can definitely splurge on colonies before you can clean them off the isle, but like you said having all of their starting poo poo is worth fighting them over in the colonies.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I played my first serious game of brandenburg > prussia and boy this is a lot of fun. I started flexing my strength around the time the league wars started and became ruler of the protestant league and my former vassal burgundy was leader of the catholic side. I was emperor and got the inheritance and didn't want the land so released them, then just let them go because I was too weak to hold them. Joining me on Protestant side was Austria (I think some minor like gelre was somehow emperor) France and some others. My boys ripped apart everyone they came across and I probably killed 200k men and lost about 20k. Just endless stack wipes. I'm holding strong to just holding the Prussian lands and not expanding at all and building up my development instead. Managing to grow the empire into a new height and it's better than ever.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

New dev diary. Lots of formables in India with some good NI sets. No longer will you have the 'fun' of having gently caress all military bonuses unless you want to play as Nepal.

Also apparently at least some of the existing idea sets have been revamped as well (Orissa was mentioned specifically but not shown, Malwa has already been shown in dev clashes to have a changed idea set but hasn't been shown in a dev diary yet)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

New dev diary. Lots of formables in India with some good NI sets. No longer will you have the 'fun' of having gently caress all military bonuses unless you want to play as Nepal.

Also apparently at least some of the existing idea sets have been revamped as well (Orissa was mentioned specifically but not shown, Malwa has already been shown in dev clashes to have a changed idea set but hasn't been shown in a dev diary yet)
lol at the paradox posters whining incessantly about power creep.

They come off as petulant whiny children due in large part to the fact that they cannot seem to use spell check or notice the squiggly red line underneath half of the words they type. The new NIs are good but I dont see anything overwhelming. There are plenty of Euros or "older" sets that have doubled up ideas, where you get two bonuses for one idea, which these Indian sets are lacking. Also it was historically one of the richest areas in the world and shouldnt be a pushover so I like the changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Paradox knows people only buy DLC because it's pay-to-win so they have to make indian nations "not suck" and "be interesting" to sucker people into playing them and having a good time.