Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Gfy

: In what wasn’t a particularly close vote at all, we’ll be heading towards Udmildhe and the Withdrawn for another round with them. The Spring of Jomuer is only one biome away from the Ridge of Gol, so the flight won’t be that long.

: The stars revealed to you a path toward the Spring of Jomuer, where the Rites shall soon continue. Come morning, your travels shall continue. For now, everyone needs rest.

: I think you can tell the writers were starting to get a little exhausted at this point. Speaking from experience, it can be pretty easy to fall into repetitive habits (“shall [soon] continue”) when you’re tired of looking at a big project and you just want to hit your quota.

: A little bit to do before we embark, though. Let’s see who’s saying what.

: Ti’zo’s looking a bit forlorn. But, good news is, the Downside Berry is ready to harvest again, so that’s nice.

: You find Ti’zo there in the blackwagon looking rather more despondent than usual. When you attempt to reach out to him, he barely acknowledges you.

: (Ti’zo indicates that he wishes to be left alone right now.)

: Oh! I’m sorry, Mister, I was just wanting to come check on little Ti’zo, there, I think maybe he’s taken ill, or something?

: On further inspection, it occurs to you that Mae perhaps is not off the mark, and that Ti’zo is unwell for some reason.

: Come on, Ti’zo, you’re going to be all right! You might be the smallest one of us, but I think you’re the toughest!!

: Considering he regularly blows himself up as a feature, she’s not wrong.

: Though, Miss Jodariel, she was the toughest one of all, wasn’t she? I so miss her sometimes….

: (Ti’zo appreciates the kind words, but still wishes to be left alone at this time.)

: Oh… don’t be silly, Ti’zo, you know I won’t be doing that, don’t you?

: Wow, what a power move.

: Mae turns to you for a moment, lowering her voice.

: It’s just, Ti’zo, well, I told him not to eat something, there was this, well, I think it was a mushroom, maybe? Growing in the corner over there?

: So, I see Ti’zo sniffing at it, and he’s always hungry, and, usually, I try to feed him, but this time, I told him no!

: Because, I know my mushrooms, and, whatever that was, I think it was a mushroom? But it wasn’t one I know? Well… Ti’zo ate it, anyway.

: (Ti’zo corroborates Mae’s recollection of what happened.)

: Because, when I ate things I thought were mushrooms around here, I coughed them up, as well. They made me rather sick! Kind of like Ti’zo, over there.

: No good game is complete without a puke/poop emergency in there somewhere.

: I hope that I’m not being un-appropriate, because, it’s not polite, maybe? Oh, come to think of it, Ti’zo! Why don’t we go outside?! Because, then, I won’t have to clean up after you, like the last time when you ate something I said maybe you shouldn’t, remember?

: (Ti’zo indicates he remembers full well, and regrets not heeding Mae’s food-related counsel.)

: Oh, don’t worry, silly, if you’ve taken ill, then I think you’re going to be fine? Once you have a little walk outside, with me? Because you’re very tough!

: Ti’zo is beginning to look better already.

: Then, she snatches Ti’zo up in her arms, and whisks him out of the wagon with her. You hear her call back to you over her shoulder.

“Bye, Mister! I’ll make sure that Ti’zo is all right, I promise, OK?”

: Although the prospect of Mae administering medical assistance normally would give you pause, Ti’zo seemed to accompany her willingly enough. The two have shared a rather close bond since Mae first made contact with the group. For someone like her, who has lived alone for so long, the friendship must be vital. And as for Ti’zo, he must be impressed that a non-native of the Downside seems to know her way around food safety even better than he.

: I wonder if this scene would have played if we had liberated Mae but not Hedwyn. He was the cook among us, if you remember; of all the people in our triumvirate, he knew how to make food that was halfway palatable, and when we told him that we missed the food in the Commonwealth, he laughed at us.

: In any case, we unlocked some new content in the Book, so might as well give that a leaf before heading out. Like I said, it’s not exactly a long flight back to the Spring of Jomuer, so we can afford some leisurely time.

Gfy

: It’s interesting, but I guess not entirely unexpected, that the Dissidents are actually Ha’ubs triumvirate. Logically it couldn’t belong to anyone else – just, you wouldn’t think that, considering Barker’s personality and the fact that he’s a cur, not an imp.

: But, according to Ha’ub himself, the Dissidents represent ‘absurdity’ and charge that ‘those that do not belong, belong.’ Of everyone we’ve met so far, Barker fits the bill pretty decently, and the fact that he doesn’t mesh makes him the accidentally-intentionally perfect candidate.

: Now then. Last update, I said that I was tired of sitting on the Wisdom Trace, and that I promised to use it immediately after the Rite with Barker.

: Mae is ineligible for it, since her Enlightenment is maxed out. So it comes down to these four lucky contestants.

: It’s… well, this decision mostly asks just one question: who would it be most effective on? In order for Enlightenment to be ‘effective,’ it needs to either put a person up a level so they can get a new perk, or it needs to change the standings with regards to who would be eligible for Liberation.

: The thing is, because Mae and Volfred both have Banishment Sickness, giving the Trace won’t matter for the standings because, well, it’s guaranteed to be Mae, Ti’zo, and Pamitha. Ti’zo edges out Bertrude in Enlightenment very slightly, and Pamitha is guaranteed to max out in her next Rite, with or without the Trace, so the standings are a forgone conclusion.

: To that end… Pamitha is closest to her next level, and I can’t tell if the Trace is going to get her there.

: Might as well find out.

: gently caress.

: Well, that’s on me for waiting so long to spend it, I guess.

: We have a witch to say hello to.

: Tamitha is in the area, but bumping into her provokes no reaction – I don’t think she’ll ever forgive us or be in a talkative mood again. Can’t say I blame her, and I can’t say I’m personally missing out on much. Hope Pamitha can mend that bridge someday, though.

: Our two landing options are, for the… third or fourth time, Gluehive and Fallflat.

: Both Mae and Pamitha were in the previous Rite, but Pamitha was voted in, ahead of Mae and behind Volfred. Sorry, Mae; maybe next time.

: It’s getting awfully quiet lately, what with the faster turning of the Rites and the fewer pals to travel with. Whole lott’a nothin’ goin’ on here, so, might as well just get on with it.

: You and Pamitha spend much of the day searching through the desolate sprawl of Fallflat, until, at last…

: Hey, this is something, at least.

: Seventy bucks isn’t anything to scoff at, that’s for sure. It’s just a little less valuable than one of Sandra’s Talismans. Although, I have to wonder why Ron would find these mushrooms so valuable, considering I’m picking them straight out of the ground and he’s willing to pay a not-insignificant amount for them.

: … you know, besides the obvious reason.

: We’re already on the cusp of our next Rite. Let’s go see how that exorcism’s been treating Udmildhe.

Gfy

You are nothing, Reader. Nothing but a mindless child.

Your every action is a stain upon the legacy of the Eight Scribes.

The Rites have been a long-held secret to keep out those such as you.

: Hah, nuts to that. Brighton’s clearly making GBS threads his pants over Volfred’s revolution and he knows there’s nothing he can do to stop it, so he’s resorting to name-calling. Let him cry all he likes, if you ask me!

: If the Voice truly is that of the Archjustice Androbeles IX himself, as Volfred indicated… then none of you are likely to receive too warm a welcome, should you regain your freedom.

: Well, if my pattern recognition has taught me anything, it’s that I’m about to get a letter from Sir Gilman that’s going to open with him being warmly welcomed back into the Commonwealth and offered a prestigious position in its aristocracy somewhere.

Gfy

: You learn that his return to the Commonwealth was met with much rejoicing, and that before long, he was promoted to the rank of Veiled Captain on the Bloodborder.

: :hmmyes:

: And yet, with tears welling in his eye, he did refuse the post, stating he no longer had the heart to fight against the Highwing Remnants as he once did. He then cast down his helmet. And, when next anyone saw him, he was among Volfred’s agents, having joined the revolution to re-shape the Commonwealth from within.

: You thank the messenger-imp for the report, and salute it crisply as surely Gilman would have. Soon, the news has everyone in the wagon talking.

: Nrrrggh. The tears he shed ought have been bottled, and thus set aside for use in various salves.

: Often the pragmatist, that Bertrude.

: (Ti’zo feels inspired by the news of Gilman’s selfless actions.)

: Noble Gilman made the gallant choice, it seems. Our plan comes closer to fruition through his good example and support.

: Do you think that one day I can be as brave as him? Because, I don’t always think I can?

: The news of Gilman’s liberation fills you and your fellow exiles with newfound resolve.

Gfy

: Contrary to the patterns I’ve established by now, I’m actually going to go to Ron first, and then read the Book second. Let’s see what’s new in the Slugmarket.

: The only new thing in Ron’s inventory is a bottle of Fortified Star Serum, which will permanently boost the Quickness of whoever it’s used on by one. Not a bad little item, but, similar to the Sun Serum, it’s prohibitively expensive at eighty-four Sol.

: But, you know, that said… I kinda have a ton of money right now. I’m not really sure how I let it all creep up on me like that. And I’m about to make some more!

: So now I’m sitting on nearly three-hundred Sol, which is a huge amount. I could buy anything I want from the Slugmarket if I wanted right now.

: Like I said in the previous update, though, my strategies are kind of set by now. Buying anything from Ron at this point would be kind of superfluous.

: But, you know the one thing that I can’t seem to get enough of?

: Not that I’m really using them for much at the moment, but, to be honest, I… kind of feel bad for taking all of Ron’s money and not buying anything in return. Besides, we’re coming up to the endgame, here. I could easily blow all my Stardust on some of the Talismans I am using.

: Now that we’ve unlocked a brand new page, we can go back and give the Book a read. The reason why I wanted to put it off is because, until this Downside Dining page, we were actually completely caught-up, with the exception of the Afterword, and I want to save that one for a little bit later. There isn’t a lot of Book left to read; I don’t know how many more pages we can expect to unlock, considering we’ve been just about everywhere and done just about everything.

Gfy

: It’s time for Bertrude’s rematch against Udmildhe. I’m sure they’ll be thrilled to see each other.

: As the sky above the Spring of Jomuer darkens, your companions watch in silence, and await the commencing of the Rites. Volfred speaks up after a time.

: It’s time again, Reader, my boy.

: Now everything is ready, and the stars begin to shine once more, precisely as foretold.

: Haha, real eloquent, Volfred. Also, ‘precisely as foretold.’ I think you can tone down the mysticism a little bit; we’ve done this dozens of times by now.

: After the positively brutal thrashing I gave Barker, I’m not really seeing the reason to turn off any of the Stars – except maybe Endriga The Widow, since Volfred isn’t available for my team this time, but even then, I shut-out Barker; it wouldn’t matter if I had one-hundred Pyrepoints, or seventy, or one.

: gently caress it, I’m feeling large and in charge. Let’s go in with all twelve.

: Previousss time… ye snuffed our Pyre’s flame. Prevailed. Thisss time… all for Yslach. No matter the result. And, no matter the cossst.

: ‘No matter the result,’ huh. Enjoy the dirt, then.

: Your adversaries are prepared, Reader. Who shall conduct the Rites on your behalf?

: Oh. I, uh, forgot she had that. That’ll make this match a whole lot more interesting.

: Arizech is being a bit of a pain in my rear end, but it could be a whole lot worse, that’s for sure.

: Two of our companions are down with Banishment Sickness, leaving only three of us eligible to compete. Because of this, there’s no vote this time: I’m forced into using Bertrude, Pamitha, and Ti’zo. And since this isn’t a Liberation Rite, the order I send them in doesn’t matter.

: Let’s dance, Udmildhe.

: To The Future – Gameplay

: Ti’zo is almost as close to his final level-up as Pamitha was. And, speaking of…

: …I can fly free no longer, yet, that anger… I don’t feel it, anymore.

: For her final reward for achieving true enlightenment, we have our choice between her second-level perk Sleight of Wing, which allows Pamitha to switch places with her nearest ally whenever she salutes, and her first-level perk Winged Fury, which boosts Pamitha’s speed by 30% for a short time every time she gets a kill.

: Sleight of Wing is in pretty much every way the worse choice. It requires me to salute, which I don’t like doing, but more than that, it’s counter to Pamitha’s roll in the team. We’re getting to the point where there isn’t a lot of incentive to switch Pamitha out whenever she’s deep in enemy lines:

: The original idea was to switch her for someone that could do a ton of damage, like Jodariel or Bertrude, but Jodariel hasn’t been on our team for a dog’s age, and Bertrude is generally too useful to go a round with her banished. Plus, if Pamitha is equipped with Triesta’s Feather, there’s a chance that Pamitha can get a dunk and still return regardless.

: Whereas Winged Fury makes Pamitha even more devastating at her job, which is to puncture the enemy’s front line and either get a dunk herself, or do as much damage as she can before she’s caught. And if she’s moving 30% faster after each kill, everyone will have one hell of a time trying to catch her.

: So…

: Assuming our next team is composed of Ti’zo, Volfred, and Bertrude, everybody will achieve the Final Forms by the next Rite.

: Those afflicted with Banishment Sickness seem to be doing better, at least, and express gratitude to Pamitha, Ti’zo, and Bertrude for their efforts.

: Just then, The Lone Minstrel appears before you. No words escape his lips; you can guess full well what he has come to indicate to you, and follow him back out into the darkness.

: Who could it be…?

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Hearing the voice say "Get out, Ti'zo" so plainly drew a chuckle from me.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Brighton is going to switch to supporting the "True Nightwings" now.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Gfy

: Not sure how many of you might be surprised by this, but despite us beating Udmildhe in the previous round, her Power Ranking is still high enough to challenge us for her freedom. So, despite having come at us with all twelve Titan Stars and failing miserably, she’s already raring for a second go.

: Hey, I won’t say no. She can play me as often as she wants.

: The Gate Guardian and I… we have paid witness to the Liberation Rites upon the Fall of Soliam for a long time. We have seen so much. And so… I am a bit taken aback, is all, to see something which I have never seen.

: You look upon the stars, together, for a while. Then…

: …I wish for you good fortune, and the wisdom of the Scribes, on your ascent.

: The Lone Minstrel leaves you there alone under the night. It has grown very late, and you need rest. The blackwagon shall have to take flight again come morning.

: Not much going on here. So, this is a good time to look into that last chapter of the Book that I was talking about in the previous update.

Gfy

: The Afterword is formatted improperly when you choose to ‘inspect’ the page. Every single page in the Book before now has had an accompanying illustration, but because the Afterword uses both pages, choosing to Inspect will only list the left page.

: If we’re gonna whoop Udmildhe all the way from Jomuer Valley and back, there’s no sense in waiting around for it. We got a snake to wrangle.

: As is typical for Liberation Rites, our journey northward, towards Mount Alodiel, is completely barren and eventless. There is nothing in Flagging Hands or the Wyrm Gulf (save for an imp I pointedly did not run over); nor anything in the Sea of Solis, Deathless Tempest, Black Basin, or Sclorian Shore.

: It gets kind of eerie and lonesome, if I’m honest. It doesn’t feel so long ago that we couldn’t travel ten feet without colliding into someone or watching two triumvirates in a Rite beneath us. And now, even excluding the Liberation Rites, they’re getting scarcer and scarcer.

: That said, there’s a new point of interest on Mount Alodiel.

: Something appears different now about the sacred mountain west of here. The lands near Emperor’s Ascent and Emperor’s Fall appear ashen. On the other hand, the once-precarious regions below, which you know as Temple Highroad and Temple Cistern, seem swept clean by the elements.

: Volfred observes all this alongside you.

: In this case, however, it appears to have afforded us a bit of a shortcut. We should be able to make landing closer to Scribesgate, now.

: Just as well. I think all of us are feeling rather more on edge these days. A swifter journey to the summit means that we can all conserve our strength for the coming trial.

: They don’t look any different to me, but, we can no longer access them. Before now, we stopped at either of these locations to give one of our companions a buff for the coming Rite, and now, because there are so few of us remaining, they’ve been excluded from our potential landing spots.

: On the one hand, less work for me. But on the other, I kind of like it when my numbers go up.

: In any case, let’s see what our options are.

: Well, this is pretty easy. Even if I weren’t allowed to count Mae’s banishment sickness, Pamitha was still chosen before Mae in our match against Barker not too long ago. So, since we’re still biased in her favour, we’re heading on to the Cistern for what feels like the dozenth time.

: Interesting that my opponent would always choose the other route. I wonder if we’ll meet at Scribesgate.

: Also, we’re visiting Molten Milithe’s, the bog crone Scribe’s, statue. I suppose it’s better that we seek her favour than Udmildhe.

: I wonder what Milithe’s opinion of Udmildhe would be. On the one hand, I’d imagine she’d be cool with Udmildhe’s intensity and her particular obsession with the eldritch, as she herself said in the Book. But, on the other, it was Milithe that had banished Yslach. Now that I think about it, Udmildhe probably would have actively avoided Milithe’s favour, in that case.

: Let’s see if Milithe and Pamitha can get along.

: <Why bother, Pamitha? With any part of this? They’re using you, same as you’re using them, you know. But, you’re not using them. You’re not using them. You’re not using them…! You’re there because you want to be. You’re there because you want to be…!>

: You return to the wagon once she is finished paying her respects. You have occasion once more to pursue your Vocations.

: You know what, Pamitha… you’re alright. We had a rocky start, and a few bumps in the road, but you’re one of my strongest players and you’ve ultimately done me no wrong. You’re a good person.

: Also, that’s not a small buff, yowzers. Milithe really likes Pam.

: As usual, I don’t really like tutoring on Mount Alodiel because it influences who is eligible for liberation – and also because everyone is so full up on Enlightenment anyway that it’d kind of be a waste, when we could do some foraging or Book reading.

: There aren’t going to be a lot of opportunities for our Vocations left, and we’re okay on money right now, especially since we can pawn off our next Sandra-provided Talisman after this next Rite (provided we win, of course).

: Meanwhile, there’s only one more page of the Book to read, so…

: You remain intent on further study of the Book of Rites, and find a place where you can concentrate upon it. Through greater understanding comes the Reader’s Influence.

: I mean, I’d take more Hope or Quickness if I could, but.

: The Book seems to push back against you. Your sense of its hidden meaning crumbles under layers of contradiction, of missing details, and yet… you feel a thorough knowledge of it, now.

: It is more artefact than Book… its power almost solely rests with the Reader, who makes time to form a certain meaning from the many passages unwritten.

: …Yet, the glimpse of knowledge you approached just then called back at you to stop, and go no further… not to press too forcefully against the outer limits of your understanding. Nevertheless, for what you recognize shall have to be the final time, inspiration comes to you in a flash; whether from the Book or from within, even now, you cannot tell.

: You look up to see The Lone Minstrel there. You had not noticed him.

: The moment passes, and he turns to go about his business. He leaves you there. You realize you are clutching the Book of Rites to your chest…. You manage to pull away.

: Udmildhe’s team isn’t going to get dunked back to the stone age if we just stand here. We have a Rite to attend.

Gfy

: The exiles of the Nightwings. You must know by now that, once the stars no longer shine, the Rites shall cease. For now, step forth.

: …Except for you, Tariq. You stay right there.

: :ohdear:

: Greetings, Celeste. The Nightwings are prepared. And as for me…?

: You shall not blaspheme under the Gate again. Do we understand each other, Tariq?

: Aye, Celeste… I apologize for my behavior before. I shall adhere more strictly to my duties.

: Be sure of it…. Now, each of you, come forth. Please state your names and what is it that you seek whilst crossing Scribesgate.

: The Eight Scribes bid the Nightwings welcome. Go forth with glory.

: Am I free to accompany them, Celeste…? Or, shall I remain here?

: She looks at him a while.

: …You are free to accompany them, Tariq.

: As you will, Celeste…. Until we meet upon the summit, then.

: I wonder if Tariq will get the storybook ending he’s clearly after.

Gfy

: There are no new pages in the Book… the only thing left for us here is to say hello to Ron. Maybe buy another hit of Stardust or something.

: Oh, it’s you guys, well, um, come on in, I guess, you got here right on time, because I was just thinking, maybe I would close a little early here, you know? Business has been real, real good, and everything, it’s just, it’s been a little slow, in spots, a little slow is all, so I was thinking, maybe I should do a sale? What would you say to that?

: It’s getting to the point where none of his Talismans could possibly interest me… but, I’m going to run out of reasons to hold onto my Sol in a hurry. Ron, if you hold that sale, I’ll buy every last serum I can afford.

: You suggest to Falcon Ron that a sale might be a good idea to liven things up a bit.

: Huhhhh well I guess maybe that’s a way to look at things, and so, then, I am gonna think about it, stew on it awhile, but no promises, OK? So, uh, you buying something here, or what?

: His newest stock includes a big ol’ blunt of Stardust, and a new Talisman… it looks kind of like a busted Celestial Orb.

: Oh, so, similar to that other Talisman that gave Volfred’s perk, the one that slowed everyone if my whole team wiped, but it’s that one perk I wanted to give to Jodariel.

: You know, if Jodariel were still here now, I probably would have used the Scribe Snuff on her and reorder her perks. My wanting her to be a tank that shoots people to death was pretty short-sighted, because her other third-level perk made it so that anybody she banished would remain banished for 30% longer.

: In the early game, that first perk is the more attractive one, but in the late game, my opponents remaining banished longer is absolutely the more valuable skill.

: Point is, I don’t want this Shooting Star.

: I’ll take that blunt, though.

: That’s all for now. Gotta save up for that sale!

: Well, we’re here, and the Rites literally cannot proceed without us, so… might as well kick back and read the Book for a little bit.

Gfy

: Let’s tread on a snake.

: Once more, the time has come for the Liberation Rite, where one among you can go free if you prevail. Freedom is likewise at stake for your adversaries, the Withdrawn. As your companions gather under the Fall, awaiting the commencement of this vital Rite, The Lone Minstrel finds you, and regards you in his calm fashion.

: …Night is falling. These moments, prior to each commencement… I must admit, they give me pause. Knowing so much is at stake during the trial that is to come.

: Tell me some, would you, Reader…? To ease the waiting for us both. I have traveled far and wide… even beyond these lands. However… the Commonwealth, I know only through word, and song. I sometimes think on what life would be like, out there.

: If you were not ensnared within this place, and free to roam your country… what would you have done with all your days and years, rather than striving here, under the stars?

: Let’s see… if I remember correctly, the backstory I’ve established so far is that I’m a war orphan that just wants to see his friends succeed in life. With that in mind, out of these available options… I guess I’d still fight for freedom. I mean, war killed my parents; I put my friends before myself; and I know how to read. My literacy should be put to good, productive use, and it wouldn’t be any good sailing the seas or farming.

: Perhaps it was inevitable that you were to be cast into exile. You cannot abide the state of things within the Commonwealth. There is so much needing to be changed there.

: Also, it’s just a lot of fun peeing in Brighton’s cereal.

: …It seems, then, that you would face a greater challenge there than even here. Your Commonwealth… it sounds to be a country rather set upon its ways. Of course… that is the nature and ambition of the Plan of which you are a part. May your actions here help bring about the future you desired on the other side.

: Just then, The Lone Minstrel looks forth, and you see that it is time. The stars above, though faint, begin to burn.

: Well, I had spanked Udmildhe around pretty well just last Rite with all twelve Titan Stars. It wouldn’t be right, I think, to give her any less of a chance here, in the most important Rite in the cycle.

: Bring it on, witch.

: The Pyres burn, and each of the triumvirates is present and prepared.

: I concur. The Pyres burn, and each of the triumvirates is present and prepared.

: Then, anointed one of the Withdrawn! Come forth, now, and declare yourself, and pay any respects you have unto your adversaries, the Nightwings.

: Dread Design – Music

: Hrrrssss… we are known to be Witch Udmildhe. Our adversariesss… they are nothing to us, or the one we serve…. Ye all shall be devoured in the coming age, an age of sssstrife, wrought down by the fell wings and many-seeing eyes of Yslach, the Astral-Born!!

: You speak blasphemy upon this sacred site, Udmildhe. If you value your liberty, then I suggest you cease your mocking of the Scribes.

: The Scribes… they failed to sssstop Yslach, and He ssshall rise again…. As for ye Nightwings… ye are of no consequence in Yslach’s grand design.

: She dons her mask once more.

: Sssssoon, we shall return unto the land which Yslach shall usurp, where we shall offer Him our blood, and that of many, many otherssss.

: She still has Frozen Soul, and of course she has an imp now.

: Nightwings! On whose behalf shall you conduct this Liberation Rite? Choose, quickly.

: May you heed your heart in making your choice, Reader.

: I trust you are prepared to play the hymns with me, Tariq?

: Always, Celeste.

: It’s time for us to shrink our triumvirate down by one more of us. One among us five is worthy of anointment, for liberation. To leave the Downside forever and return to the Commonwealth.

Who do we choose?

Mae has a spiritual connection with the Scribes and the world around her that nobody, least of all herself, can properly describe. She meets all challenges and peoples with a warm smile, a hearty dance, and some laughter, and she’s attuned to her companions so deeply that she shares in their misery as much as their happiness. She’s even taken to calling the blackwagon itself her ‘little brother.’ Her crime is vagrancy – she was simply seen as too ‘different’ to be accepted in the social graces of the Commonwealth, and when she wouldn’t adhere to their demands that she change herself, she was cast to the Downside, where they would no longer have to suffer her uniqueness.

Do we anoint Mae?

Ti’zo is a simple imp that was born and raised in the Downside. He has been with the Nightwings since Volfred’s time, and is therefore more attuned to their practices and properties than anyone else in the triumvirate. Imps of Ti’zo’s intelligence and wit are very rare, and it’s been implied that Ti’zo is directly descended from Ha’ub the Swallow, the first Scribe and author of the Book of Rites, himself. He has committed no crime: as a native born in the Downside, he has no home in the Commonwealth and his only aspiration for freedom is to one day see the world beyond the Downside.

Do we anoint Ti’zo?

Pamitha is a harp, born in the mountains that look down on the Commonwealth among the Highwing Remnants. From birth, she and her sister were taught to hate the Commonwealth and all its citizens, and from then, they were raised and bred to be soldiers in their never-ending war – and yet, Pamitha, despite her teachings, was never one for the conflict and wanted only for her herself and her sister to remain out of it. Her crime is conspiracy: Pamitha’s sister was an accomplished general, yet she was planning an attack on the Commonwealth that would surely end in failure. Fearing for her safety, she reported her sister and her plan to the Commonwealth, who promptly captured and banished her. When Pamitha attempted to contact her sister, she was caught and banished alongside her.

Do we anoint Pamitha?

One of these three candidates must be the frontman for our triumvirate, although any of the rest of the Nightwings may also participate to help see their anointed companion gain their freedom.

Should we succeed against Udmildhe and the Withdrawn, our anointed frontman will be permanently removed from the game.

Twenty-four hours. Choose wisely.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 14, 2018

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Pamitha.

Tizo is an Imp, so technically, he would be able to fly out of the downside like the Messenger Imps we get when the others went back up, and I think he likes the Downside somewhat.

Mae... seems happier down here as well, given that she was exiled for her strangeness.

That just leaves Pam.

Edit: Her backup should be Bertrude and Tizo.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 14, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Anoing Mae, so that she is not left down here alone. Back her up with Pamitha and Bertrude.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Anoint Mae! She was banished for talking to the scribes, so her return is nothing less than a divine act. Let her become the prophet of our revolution. Also she seemed happier down here but we more or less sent all her friends back up, and maybe she'll be happier up there when it's not run by shitheads.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Pamitha. with Tizo and Bertrude as helpers.

Mae has the whole Almer dealio, and having a Harp upside might help deal with the Remnants (either in diplo, or preventing them seeing the civil unrest as a chance to jump in).

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Annoint Mae

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Pam Pam Pam, backed up by Bertrude and Volfred.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Shinji117 posted:

Pamitha. with Tizo and Bertrude as helpers.

Mae has the whole Almer dealio, and having a Harp upside might help deal with the Remnants (either in diplo, or preventing them seeing the civil unrest as a chance to jump in).

Agreed.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Pamitha should be anointed with Bertrude and Volfred assisting. Pamitha didn't want to fight the Commonwealth and her crime of betraying her own people to seek peace is no crime at all. Tamitha can't seem to be reasoned with and there is nothing left for old Pam down here. Mae still has a chance of making something of her life with Dalbert's son, and Ti'so really wouldn't be adding anything to the table if he went up.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

Olive Branch posted:

Pamitha should be anointed with Bertrude and Volfred assisting. Pamitha didn't want to fight the Commonwealth and her crime of betraying her own people to seek peace is no crime at all. Tamitha can't seem to be reasoned with and there is nothing left for old Pam down here. Mae still has a chance of making something of her life with Dalbert's son, and Ti'so really wouldn't be adding anything to the table if he went up.

Completely agree.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Olive Branch posted:

Also agreed.

Mae seems reasonably happy down here, and it's Tizo's home.

It's time to reward Pamitha's faith and show her we're not using her as she fears.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
OH wow I just realized that Celeste is not wearing a big black hood, that's her hair :doh:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Anoint Pamitha, and back her up with Volfred and Bertrude.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Olive Branch posted:

My thoughts precisely

Pam with Bertrude and Volfred

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
See, I'm going to disagree. I think that Ti'zo should be out front-guy, with Mae and Volfred to back him up.

It's established the Imps can get closer to the surface than most, but they still can't get out. Pamitha, I think, would like to still have the chance to maybe reconcile with her sister. Mae, meanwhile, is clearly happier away from the Commonwealth; although that might change if we send her back up to be with our friends, so I may reconsider later. Ti'zo, though, was born down here and has fought for us all this time without any expectation of a reward. He's the only member of our group who has never known any world other than the Downside.

I think we should reward him for his service by giving him a chance to experience a different life.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

: Liberation – Gameplay
: Music: Never To Return
: Music: Never To Return (Vs. The Withdrawn)

Thus ends the Liberation Rite.

And thus, the Scribes have chosen: the exile appointed…

… by the Nightwings…

… shall be free. Absolved of all misdeeds. Returned to glory in the Commonwealth.

Her adversary and all others shall remain…

… to carry out their rightful sentences.

: So, what am I, supposed to give a speech, or something, then? Reader darling… all of you… look. I’ve no idea still why you picked me.

: Well, I do have one, but I don’t think it’s right. If you’d wanted to get rid of me by now, you needn’t have gone to such lengths. And so, I’m left only to conclude that you did this, for me.

: The years I spent down here… in one sense, they have all been such a waste, just… utterly for nothing. Spectacularly so. I thought that my relationship with Tamitha had nowhere left to go but up, but… well, you know. Not quite the case.

: But, then, I think on what would have become of me, had I made no attempt to set things right… had I not done everything I have. I could not have lived with that, I think.

: I was so certain that my life would end, down here….

: What I’m trying to say is…. Thanks. To all of you. I mean that.

: Now, I guess I’d better head on back to that damned Commonwealth. So… bottoms up.

“We’ll have to see what we can do up there. Provided that my sisters haven’t had their way with it just yet. Anyway… let’s find a way to keep in touch. But, just in case… good-bye.”

Perhaps the Scribes are watching, even now.

Watching as their glorious tradition draws to a close.

Now, take your execrable companions someplace else.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Pamitha :unsmith:

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Aww Pam, we like you too. Go get 'em up there. And well played, Maple Leaf. I forgot you had an extra 50 HP banked with Volfred's ability but you didn't even need to use it because the Pamitha Shove Strategy worked well to open up space.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I... had no idea you can push Volfred like that. How does that work?

Also, gotta love the voice acting on Brighton. You can just feel the spite and contempt. Logan Cunningham is amazing at his job.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

I... had no idea you can push Volfred like that. How does that work?

Also, gotta love the voice acting on Brighton. You can just feel the spite and contempt. Logan Cunningham is amazing at his job.

Pamitha's Dash can push anyone she dashes into. That includes enemies, and since her Presence isn't the greatest, it's often a very risky idea, to dash into enemies. It's a very powerful move for pushing allies with high Presence, though, meaning, funny enough, Pamitha and Jodariel would have been an amazing team together.

And, the voice acting is pretty stellar in general. For Pamitha, during her victory speech, it sounds to me, from her voice acting and from her words, like she's about to cry, but then gets a stiff upper lip at the last moment.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
That was pretty fantastic gameplay. I tried playing Pyre the other day, and I was very bad at it.

One weird thing I noticed just now, from seeing Bertrude and Pamitha side by side, is that Harps and Crones have the same style of aura. Not mechanically, but they, along with Wyrms, have that sort of wavy-edged aura. That's interesting to me.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

: I’m screaming internally. And a little externally.

: Luckily, one of us has the decency to not tease me like that.

: Now, at last, the stars themselves revoke their station in the night, and we have finally achieved an inkling of this…!

: Our final two available perks are the first-level perk Hex of Victory (Bertrude does five more points of damage to her adversary’s pyre provided her own pyre has more Pyrepoints. Combined with Hex of Defeat, this essentially gives her a +5 buff to Glory), and the second-level perk Greater Blast (Bertrude’s Aura is fired in a wider angle)

: There isn’t anything I can say about Greater Blast that I haven’t said before. Making it wider might be a stealth-nerf, and its width was never a problem to begin with.

: Hex of Victory and Hex of Defeat together would essentially put Bertrude’s base Glory at 30, which would make her tied with Jodariel; Bertrude is already a bit of a murder machine, and I’m not about to object to making her even scarier.

: You overhear some of your companions reflecting on this.

: She hath passed from this place, along with all her eccentricities.

: May her absence spur us on to greater glory.

: You wonder who, if anyone, among you shall be the next to go.

: Our Plan approaches a key turning point. Let us ensure it soon comes to fruition. Not only for ourselves, here… but for our companions and our loved ones in the Commonwealth. But, we have little time now for reflection into this. Look yonder, Reader! The stars demand we go, already. Let us help them usher in the end of all of this.

: Look at that ledger. The next Liberation Rite is happening immediately after this regular Rite. Lendel and Barker are practically neck-and-neck.

: Before you vote on who and where we should play next, ask yourself the following questions about each of our possible options. Up until now, I’ve tried my best to refrain from influencing your decision on where we should go, but this time, I’m going to remind you of everything we know and what we don’t know about our potential opponents.

: Regarding Manley, the two times we have played against him are during our very first journey to Mount Alodiel, a lifetime ago, and the Liberation Rite following that one. On top of that, we’ve only been to the Isle of Khaylmer once. We only learn why someone’s been banished to the Downside when we play them in a non-Liberation Rite after the first round, so we haven’t yet learned why Manley is in the Downside, and if we’re curious, this would be our last opportunity to find out.

: Regarding Lendel, we haven’t visited the Pit of Milithe once since our initial journey, and its page remains locked in the Book. If we don’t target him, it’s likely he’ll be our opponent in the Liberation Rite, and if we do, and we succeed, we will almost definitely play Barker on Mount Alodiel instead (Udmildhe went down by four points when we defeated her at the Spring of Jomuer, and there is only one point separating Lendel and Barker). If you want to hear the Dissident’s version of Never To Return, this will be our only chance.

: As for Ignarius… we know why he’s here; we’ve been to the Ridge of Gol; he’s already lost all hope of escaping once more and he’s clearly beat up about his inability to play Sportsball like he once could. Opting to go to him would just be kicking him when he’s down. Do you really think Ignarius deserves that? Come on.

: So, with that out of the way, who are we going to go after for this first and final regular Rite of this cycle? Do we target Manley and the Chastity, ranked fifth, at the Isle of Khaylmer? Do we target Lendel and the Accusers, ranked second, at the Pit of Milithe? Or do we target Ignarius and the Tempers, ranked sixth, at the Ridge of Gol?

: Lemme know by tomorrow!

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 16, 2018

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Let's go bully Manley.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Man, gently caress Manley.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Manley is a non-entity, while Lendel could use a little more scorn before the rites are out.

Also, I really want to hear the Dissidents' version of never to return.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Lets go for Lendel, mostly to get that page in the book.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Let's stomp Manley and then put Ti'zo up for Ascension in the match against Lendel for maximum troll value.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Beat up Lendel so we can face Barker in the finals.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fight Lendel for pages.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
gently caress Lendel. Let's bop him again so we can hear the best version of Never To Return.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Lendel must go. As much as I'd like to hear Manley's reason for being stuck down here, we always have a chance (however minuscule) of fighting him again next time.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Let's go crush Manley. I want to learn just how much of a POS he is.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Manley

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Lendel for the sake of book-learning and Barker.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Lendel.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Lendel for book and music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Lendel should stay down here. Let's crush his hopes and dreams here and now, instead of allowing him even a glimmer of a chance.

• Locked thread