Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sagebrush posted:

people are asking a web developer who bought a car company to try and save the lives of a dozen children because they think he's Tony Stark

This is the damage that superhero comics do to the growing brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Professor of Cats posted:

Yes, drat musk, for wanting to use his available money and resources to help. drat him to hell.

He has to stop those kids before they can unionize.

e

He's a moron.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 7, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Musk is used to kids in a diamond emerald mine. So understandable hes a bit off.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If Musk wanted to help maybe he should have just helped instead of waiting for someone to tweet at him.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He has to stop those kids before they can unionize.

e

He's a moron.

I chuckled at the first joke, then I loving died at the second one

wowzers

E: y'know, it would really round out this whole stupid year if Elon Musk arrived on scene and ended up suffocating a bunch of kids and rescuers as the air tube collapses from the water pressure and they get vacuum-sealed in

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 7, 2018

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The simplest and saddest answer is, those kids are stuck in a situation that typically does nothing but produce dead kids. If you're looking for a solution that gives you a 100% saved kid rate, there probably isn't one. So far 'sit and wait for the monsoon to end' has the highest survival rate. Pretty much every other solution will boil down to "This will kill some of them, but if we don't do it then the current situation will kill all of them."

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Improbable Lobster posted:

He absolutely is.

Yeah sure, if you discount the entirety of SpaceX as one example. poo poo on him on the bad poo poo he has done.

Asking for permission is being responsible, something the US Navy does when rendering aid to natural disaster areas. Tony Stark would have flown in there, shot the place up and these days might :911:. Elon's doing PR, that's what he does, he's fine as long as he lets his employees and resources do the heavy lifting if he is granted permission to send help.

His ego is really starting to hurt him as it is starting to snatch defeat from victory. He really needs to pull back from twitter 24/7/365 mode. Now only if he would lower the cave....

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Just turn the whole cave inside-out, that's how bullfrogs do it when they swallow something disagreeable

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Azathoth posted:

I'll have a Baconator combo supersized and can you add a large frosty to that too? Thanks.

Nahh this was actually a really good summary of what the issues are with the possible responses.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
If you brought a meat grinder in to the cave you would need a much smaller diameter tube to get them out

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Get some DNA and clone the kids.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

Saw a truck with weird giant keg like tanks and a small crane on it today. It was covered with Poison placards, I saw no less than 6 placards from the back and right side of the truck. I passed the truck and it said "chlorine" on the side of it so I sped the gently caress up and got far away, big nope.

The truck was probably carrying "ton containers" which I was told in truck driving school in hazmat class that those tanks are used to carry the most dangerous chemicals. The ton containers are designed to survive most traffic accidents without being breached. The valves are recessed and protected by a metal dome and the walls of the container are thicker then most other metal containers. If the truck happens to get into an accident the likelihood of spills is a lot less then a single large tank. But if you see one of those trucks flipped over, I would run up wind of it real fast.

The ton container had a starring role in one of the CSB videos where a worker died after getting sprayed in the chest and face with the chemical it contained. It was at a DuPont chemical plant and it contained phosgene, which was used as a chemical weapon in world war 1. It doesn't take much to kill you. Phosgene makes you drown in your own lung fluids.

CSB video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5N8hxhJD7E

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Sagebrush posted:

people are asking a web developer who bought a car company to try and save the lives of a dozen children because they think he's Tony Stark

this is so perfect

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Necrosaro posted:

The truck was probably carrying "ton containers" which I was told in truck driving school in hazmat class that those tanks are used to carry the most dangerous chemicals. The ton containers are designed to survive most traffic accidents without being breached. The valves are recessed and protected by a metal dome and the walls of the container are thicker then most other metal containers. If the truck happens to get into an accident the likelihood of spills is a lot less then a single large tank. But if you see one of those trucks flipped over, I would run up wind of it real fast.
There's nothing really special about a ton cylinder compared to a tanker trailer or a multimodal cylinder. Theyve all got considerations for truck accidents and getting hit by a train etc. It's a supply chain thing why dangerous poo poo ends up in them because any one customer usually only needs a real small amount of the really crazy poo poo.

It's a popular form factor for refrigerant charges for big HVAC systems. This lead to the biggest hazcom fuckup I've ever heard of at the facility I used to work at where a ton cylinder of a mix of antimony pentafluoride with a vapor head of HF (aka full of something on the super side of superacid even though it's not the stoichiometry for the real deal by the time it's stored this way) was mixed into the lot of refrigerant tons, shipped to a customer, returned because the valves were frozen, and given to some poor mechanic to take the valves off to vent. He died from some ridiculous burns from being at ground zero if an antimony pentafluoride spill once he got the valve off.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

There's nothing really special about a ton cylinder compared to a tanker trailer or a multimodal cylinder. Theyve all got considerations for truck accidents and getting hit by a train etc. It's a supply chain thing why dangerous poo poo ends up in them because any one customer usually only needs a real small amount of the really crazy poo poo.

My truck school instructor might of been talking out of his rear end, but he made it sound like some chemicals couldn't be transported in trucks over certain amounts per container due to some regulations. I heard this 14 years ago so I probably don't remember it all anyway. I never had to transport hazmat loads.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

oohhboy posted:

Yeah sure, if you discount the entirety of SpaceX as one example. poo poo on him on the bad poo poo he has done.

SpaceX, the company that funnels billions away from nasa so they build rockets that explode because of problems that were solved in the 80s.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

SpaceX, the company that funnels billions away from nasa so they build rockets that explode because of problems that were solved in the 80s.

Elon is a loving weirdo, but none of that is true regarding SX.

The extreme hate Elon gets in here is a little over the top IMO.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Tbf I defended musk a few pages ago but that tweet analysis on how long it takes to walk 5 km with some ducking has me worried

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

ethanol posted:

Tbf I defended musk a few pages ago but that tweet analysis on how long it takes to walk 5 km with some ducking has me worried

He def deserves criticism, but I don't think spitballing silly ideas to a really difficult problem means we should put him against the wall first. There are other plenty good reasons for that...

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/OtPVQkE.mp4

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
They're harnessed, at least

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lou Takki posted:

He def deserves criticism, but I don't think spitballing silly ideas to a really difficult problem means we should put him against the wall first. There are other plenty good reasons for that...

I'll hate on him as much as the next guy, but at least he is thinking about the situation.

How many other billionaires have even bothered to tweet a 'thoughts and prayers', let alone give it a moment's thought.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oh ho we're halfway there,

ohhh ho now we need a prayer

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

spog posted:

I'll hate on him as much as the next guy, but at least he is thinking about the situation.

How many other billionaires have even bothered to tweet a 'thoughts and prayers', let alone give it a moment's thought.

Yeah I agree, he at least has sent some top engineers down there to maybe help instead of all this hand wringing about how he is all talk and no action.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

GotLag posted:

They're harnessed, at least

I don't really see the problem here. Except they should work on a way they are taking steps.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

spog posted:

You're actually praising a billionaire for armchair coaching a situation outside his area of expertise like it makes him somewhat likable.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's like Grimes saying "yeah he's actually totally punk and anti-establishment".

Sure girl.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Elon was actually in iron man 2

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

zedprime posted:

...and given to some poor mechanic to take the valves off to vent. He died from some ridiculous burns from being at ground zero if an antimony pentafluoride spill once he got the valve off.

:stonk:

In a just world, every blue-collar wrench turner at that company would have quit or struck until the management in charge of that was behind loving bars. That's one of the most OSHA things I've ever heard of.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

sneakyfrog posted:

oh ho we're running out of air,

ohhh ho now we need a prayer

Fixed it for you.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

MrYenko posted:

:stonk:

In a just world, every blue-collar wrench turner at that company would have quit or struck until the management in charge of that was behind loving bars. That's one of the most OSHA things I've ever heard of.

In a just world, the wrench turners would have executed them personally

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It was the 90s, fatalities were just then becoming unacceptable in a newsmaking way. Corporate mostly only cared that it had been sent to a customer and back. The union was pissed but ultimately was assuaged by having a voice in the process redesign (not to mention the life insurance was really good anyway).

His brother worked there I assume till retirement in the past couple years. Haven't talked to folks there since I quit.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Necrosaro posted:

The ton container had a starring role in one of the CSB videos where a worker died after getting sprayed in the chest and face with the chemical it contained. It was at a DuPont chemical plant and it contained phosgene, which was used as a chemical weapon in world war 1. It doesn't take much to kill you. Phosgene makes you drown in your own lung fluids.

CSB video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5N8hxhJD7E

Yep they looked just like these tanks. Regardless of how safe they may be, seeing a hard poison wagon roll down the street is still unsettling. Nothing will beat the time I saw a convoy of trucks with about 5 police SUV's running defense and blocking all lanes around the trucks, got close and they had explosives hazard markers on them, which I've never seen before or since (I live near galveston so there's tons of hazardous poo poo going to and from the refineries and port constantly).

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
At first I was picturing something like nuclear flasks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY446h4pZdc

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Thoughts and prayers" is gross as hell. I hope I never get Thoughts and prayers.

NASA has been bleed dry for decades and it has not SX fault, blame the idiots in government who bleed science dry. What they are doing right now wasn't something that was solved in the 80's. When SX proposed recovering a rocket to be reused by having it land itself in a suicide burn I was laughing at how absurd that was yet here we are and launch costs to LEO has been driven down dramatically which has benefited NASA greatly. Space Shuttle was very cool but holy poo poo it was expensive. We are now in a new Space Race that both companies and other states are engaging in.

If SX wasn't delivering or having they poo poo explode all the time they couldn't get rocket insurance. It's that reliability that is allows them cheap insurance among other things that are lowering costs. SX also launches non NASA payloads so they aren't some solo customer outfit like that MIC.

NASA is doing a part of it's mission to spin off technology by licensing it's technology out. They release a magazine every year about what technology they have released to benefit the general public call NASA Spinoff. It can be found here:

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2018/index.html

SX no doubt benefited from NASA assistance. If you want you can go get some of that tech to use in your own product.

I can't say I didn't enjoy this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvim4rsNHkQ

Go find something else about him to poo poo on.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Honestly of all the companies Musk has, SpaceX seems to be the most reasonable and successful one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SpaceX is cool and good and the man in charge of their success is a really smart and admirable dude.

What's his name again? He's an engineer, last name starts with an M, I think?

Oh, right! It's Tom Mueller.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Quit defending the moron billionaire. I'm gonna promise you the people already there by now have it in hand. If Musk wanted to help he'd write a huge blank check to fund the rescue.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

oohhboy posted:

"Thoughts and prayers" is gross as hell. I hope I never get Thoughts and prayers.

When I die, I want everyone to to bring alchohol to my funeral, get trashed out of their mind, and play punk and metal music at max volume until the cops break it up. gently caress thoughts and prayers.

spankmeister posted:

Honestly of all the companies Musk has, SpaceX seems to be the most reasonable and successful one.

“The most reasonable” company of Musk’s is the one that lands orbital rocket boosters on their tails like its loving Buck Rodgers.

I both love and hate this reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

INT. SPACEX HQ -- SOME TIME AGO

ELON MUSK: It would be really cool if we had a rocket that could use its main engine as a descent engine and like pop out some legs and land vertically like in all those old science fiction movies.
TOM MUELLER: That would be really cool, but it sounds super hard. I don't know if it's possible.
MUSK: You should work on that.

LATER

MUELLER: Okay, it took a huge amount of work, but I think I've figured it out.
MUSK: I knew we could do it!