Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Noonsaliwah posted:

I’ve had a lot of fun playing this game on switch. I’ve now found the ‘good’ ending, saved all the grubs, beaten the dream bosses and explored ‘all’ the map (like, there’s no unopened doors or unexplored corridors)

..and I still haven’t found this DLC stuff that people keep talking about?

Is there a list of breakable walls / hidden rooms anywhere, which won’t spoil for me what’s behind all the doors / in all the rooms? I don’t really want to go around hitting every wall on the map trying to find things myself (finding the hive to get those last grubs took me... a long time)

DLC locations, without saying what they are.

Breakable wall in the main vertical room of Howling Cliffs, right wall a couple screens below Joni's Refuge.

Breakable floor beneath the big green switch in the Dung Defender's room.

A house in Dirtmouth. This one is only accessible if you have rescued Bretta and you have defeated Zote in the first arena fight. If you've done the arena fight and he wasn't there, go rescue him from Deepest and do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there more with Zote than him returning to dirtmouth/the dream fight?

So, afaik I have everything that costs geo in the game sans unbreakable greed, which I can get pretty easy and like, why would I need it anyways? At that point there is literally nothing I need geo for, and have no reason to bother even picking it up right?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

nope, that's the end of his questline. be sure to memorize the 57 precepts! it's important for the final boss

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Is there more with Zote than him returning to dirtmouth/the dream fight?

So, afaik I have everything that costs geo in the game sans unbreakable greed, which I can get pretty easy and like, why would I need it anyways? At that point there is literally nothing I need geo for, and have no reason to bother even picking it up right?

There is a small conclusion to Zote's story If you fight him 4 times to light all the candles around his shrine.

And there's also a tiny bit of story to be had if you buy all 3 unbreakable charms, with the two characters involved in them.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

i don't think the intent is "oh we need to give people a way to skip this super boss", pretty sure it's "oh we want a separate outcome to this quest".

I remember reading some stuff from the devs on Discord, and it was meant to allow you to reach a conclusion without having to fight the boss. A lot of HK salt is spilled over stuff being ‘gated behind difficulty’ see stuff like White Palace.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Also, you eventually have to give up the Kingsoul, and there's no similar thing to replace it with.

Salubra's Blessing does basically the same thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The dream fights are profoundly irritating

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

veni veni veni posted:

The dream fights are profoundly irritating

actually they are good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Soul tyrant can suck a fart out of my rear end

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I don't like GPZ once he starts doing 4+ masks of damage but the rest of them are great.

The lead up to some of them isn't bad either after you do it once and realize you can get there from the start with like one jump plus a dash.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Killed the mantis lords after the 5th or sixth try! ( with 2 nail upgrades, 2 mask upgrades, quick slash...) This is the dark souls feeling!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

There's been ongoing construction around our apartment for some time now and the saws from the outside mask perfectly the saws from the Path of Pain to the point I don't know which one I'm listening too.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My first time through I rescued Zote and everything but my second playthrough I didn't remember where he was. I passed through the area where he's being attacked but didn't actually see him, and I guess I had the sound low at the time or something so I didn't hear him. I was really bummed when I stumbled across his corpse way later. :(

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I see people talk about the journal in this thread but I haven't got a journal? Am I loving something up or am I not far enough yet?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

redreader posted:

I see people talk about the journal in this thread but I haven't got a journal? Am I loving something up or am I not far enough yet?

If you're past Greenpath then you've missed it and should go back and check around the right side

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Speaking about the Path of Pain, I just got the part with the first spike pogo and I wish I could take a break with Splatoon or something, but there's no benches to save right? So do I just have to give up or power through or what?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Speaking about the Path of Pain, I just got the part with the first spike pogo and I wish I could take a break with Splatoon or something, but there's no benches to save right? So do I just have to give up or power through or what?

Yup it's all or nothing

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
There's that one section where you pass by a locked door and go on a long detour to unlock it by pulling a lever. Does the door stay unlocked if you quit after opening it but before reaching the finish line? I figured it would, but I finished the path in one go so I can't say for sure. Maybe another poster can weigh in. If it does stay open, that'd cut down the time spent retreading old ground if you can't beat the path in one sitting.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

okay i just killed ummuu and did the scene with the dreamer. this is just the greatest game

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
I got this game in the Steam sale and have played it a few hours, and I was pretty lukewarm about it at first, until I got to The Mantis Lords and am now fully on-board. It took like ten tries but I beat them, what an amazing boss fight. Then I failed to heed the map guy's advice to turn back and I fell into a huge pit I couldn't wall-climb out of and died and lost 1,200 geo and now I guess I just live down in this shithole because I was too thirsty. I have the default sword, default health pips and I don't have the firefly lantern thing. How screwed am I? loving awesome game.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Murderist posted:

I got this game in the Steam sale and have played it a few hours, and I was pretty lukewarm about it at first, until I got to The Mantis Lords and am now fully on-board. It took like ten tries but I beat them, what an amazing boss fight. Then I failed to heed the map guy's advice to turn back and I fell into a huge pit I couldn't wall-climb out of and died and lost 1,200 geo and now I guess I just live down in this shithole because I was too thirsty. I have the default sword, default health pips and I don't have the firefly lantern thing. How screwed am I? loving awesome game.

This is how you become strong.

(yeah, it'll be quite a challenge to get back to civilization, but it's def possible. My recommendation is to just head west and never stop. Ignore any optional things until you re-visit the area later)

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Ashamed of how long it took me to figure out you can use the sword to bounce higher off the purple mushrooms.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
oops double post

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Couple things:

- Just got the item from the Abyss, is there supposed to be a boss fight there? Also how do I open that blue door?
- I am looking at a map online and there are little mushroom guys, what is that about?
- I shouldn't refight spirit versions of early bosses until I am super strong, right? I went into Soul Sanctum to open that door (while I bought the key for like ten hours ago lol) and the corpse of the boss was glowy.
- Just to make sure we're all clear on something: gently caress Deepnest.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Couple things:

- Just got the item from the Abyss, is there supposed to be a boss fight there? Also how do I open that blue door?
- I am looking at a map online and there are little mushroom guys, what is that about?
- I shouldn't refight spirit versions of early bosses until I am super strong, right? I went into Soul Sanctum to open that door (while I bought the key for like ten hours ago lol) and the corpse of the boss was glowy.
- Just to make sure we're all clear on something: gently caress Deepnest.

1. No. To open, You need 14 blue health when you get there.
2. There's a sidequest involving them.
3. They're intended to be endgame difficulty, but you're welcome to try - since they take place in the dream world, losing doesn't make you die.
4. Just being there is unsettling, yes.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

okay i just killed ummuu and did the scene with the dreamer. this is just the greatest game

Try to find where Quirrel has gone for the ultimate wholesome ending in HK.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I did everything including beat him in the arena so I probably have a glitch. I've found a few forum posts with people who have had the same issue but no suggestions to fix it. Mind you my last playthrough was in October so the devs may have caught it.

I'm planning on getting it for the Switch and playing through again so I'll get my chance

Did you save his girlfriend?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

garthoneeye posted:

HIS girlfriend?????

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

garthoneeye posted:

Yep I think that save is just borked. I scoured the wiki trying to find a way to fight grey prince zote but I’ll just have to wait

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

romanowski posted:

NKG makes me want to be dead

actually NKG ain't poo poo

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013

Dancer posted:

just head west and never stop.

I tried this and got stuck at darkness and spikes. So I went up and climbed out the hard way. But I met a friend and a dickwad along the way. This game rules.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

romanowski posted:

actually NKG ain't poo poo

This is the best feeling, isn't it?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

This is pretty entertaining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMzS2Fra-WE

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does fragile/unbreakable strength apply to spells as well or just nail damage?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The move soul tyrant does where you dodge his dive, and he just automatically repositions to hit you anyways deserves some sort of award for most bullshit boss move.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

veni veni veni posted:

The move soul tyrant does where you dodge his dive, and he just automatically repositions to hit you anyways deserves some sort of award for most bullshit boss move.

You can still dodge him when he does this fyi. Don't dash until you see him commit to the dive

e: vvv Yes I was misremembering. Do what he says vvv

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 8, 2018

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Alternatively do dash immediately across the ground and don't jump until he commits. Unless you have the double jump in which case do whatever.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

parasyte posted:

1. No. To open, You need 14 blue health when you get there.

Are you telling me that I have to basically travel the entire world to hit up every lifeblood cocoon without getting hit and then go to the Abyss to open that door? And if I sit at a bench it resets my health, right? But the cocoons don't respawn unless I sit at a bench? Because if so gently caress that.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Lol that's exactly what I thought when I first saw that door.

No. Just stack all the blue heart charms when you've got them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Knorth posted:

Lol that's exactly what I thought when I first saw that door.

No. Just stack all the blue heart charms when you've got them

Okay but I think I only have one, Lifeblood Heart. What are the others?

EDIT: Nevermind I had the other charm. But it still isn't opening? The hell?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 8, 2018