Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Is that because of rights issues or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

Nah it's cos the version of Quake they have up on Steam only supports playing the soundtrack through CD audio and god forbid they put any sort of effort into updating it

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The GOG version had to be hastily edited just after release so that the music can only be played from an ISO instead of OGG files or whatever, so I suspect there are some rights issues going on.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I still have the gog tracks. Should I just burn them onto a CD and play those that way or should I just put in my South Park Chef's Aid album instead?

Edit: Bulletstorm: Full ClipDuke Nukem Edition is still on sale for ya'll wanting to experience that game.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 7, 2018

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I keep forgetting quake has music cause I've only ever played the Steam version.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
For my this year’s replay of Quake I decided to replace the music with Marathon music. Works surprisingly well. There’s a couple fewer tracks so you can strip out the real clunkers like Fat Man.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ularg posted:

I keep forgetting quake has music cause I've only ever played the Steam version.

You're missing out on AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah: the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfx_EVy2jE

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Joe the Strummer posted:

The schamma lamma ding dong scared the poo poo outta 10 year old me first time I played it.

Quake is a scary game.

The noises that the grunts make when they're just idling are loving intense if you're playing in the dark with the audio turned up

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ularg posted:

You should def download the soundtrack and patch it into the game

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/Arvydas_B/status/1015589610238271488

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
"Use" the terminals you find. It made me smile. :unsmith:

Its a superb level, playing it with Final Doomer's BTSX loadout.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Finally! I'm hype to try this out.

e; oh man, he released the textures for reuse, too. :swoon:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 7, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wait, all of those tweets were for ONE level?! :psyduck:

Holy poo poo, dude... Make an entire WAD for that. Looks incredible, and I think I'd just want more.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's a single, pretty short level that's also pretty solidly designed, but more importantly, is insanely pretty.

The textures are available in the same post so now someone needs to take these and use them to make a 32-level megawad with new weapons and replaced enemies.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cat Mattress posted:

You're missing out on AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah: the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfx_EVy2jE

When people talk about 90s nostalgia and it's all Spice Girls and Saved by the Bell and also bracelets I feel weird, because for me it's HR Geiger posters and drawing the Quake logo on things and Trent going "Aaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuggggggggghhhhh"

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

the cool posts kid posted:

Nah it's cos the version of Quake they have up on Steam only supports playing the soundtrack through CD audio and god forbid they put any sort of effort into updating it

There are some guides on steam on how to get the music back in the game.

Click

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shoehead posted:

When people talk about 90s nostalgia and it's all Spice Girls and Saved by the Bell and also bracelets I feel weird, because for me it's HR Geiger posters and drawing the Quake logo on things and Trent going "Aaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuggggggggghhhhh"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnsiZOJjfUg

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There are a non-zero number of remixes/covers of AAAAAAAA.mp3

Some of them aren't bad!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WTyyCfT2VI

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I believe you mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmC4Wje0Rjc :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I think you mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji9qSuQapFY

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
God it's like the end of Being John Malkovich :stare:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Not even Turok cheat codes reached this level of absurdity.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

The Kins posted:

There are a non-zero number of remixes/covers of AAAAAAAA.mp3

Some of them aren't bad!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WTyyCfT2VI

Fun and crunchy, but darn if almost every cover of AAAAA doesn't do something that bugs me. In the main 7-note pattern, I hear one of the guitar-ish lines changing on the last note while another one stays the same to create some dissonance. The covers get rid of that dissonance and it sounds blah.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Not even Turok cheat codes reached this level of absurdity.

Truly this is what hell would look like

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Johnny Law posted:

Fun and crunchy, but darn if almost every cover of AAAAA doesn't do something that bugs me. In the main 7-note pattern, I hear one of the guitar-ish lines changing on the last note while another one stays the same to create some dissonance. The covers get rid of that dissonance and it sounds blah.

The Quake theme has literally 2 guitar riffs, and that cover/remix uses only one of them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, all of those tweets were for ONE level?! :psyduck:

Holy poo poo, dude... Make an entire WAD for that. Looks incredible, and I think I'd just want more.
I'm hoping he puts in some time pn Darkest Forces next.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Just saw this delightful image on Reddit, apparently the poster found this paper his mom wrote out for him years ago:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Chinook posted:

Just saw this delightful image on Reddit, apparently the poster found this paper his mom wrote out for him years ago:

Aww.

As a kid my mom used to help me remember or type out all the cheatcodes for Starcraft when I just wanted to comp stomp and goof around with an army of only firebats or something.

poweroverwhelming
operation cwal
showmethemoney
showmethemoney
showmethemoney
showmethemoney

At a certain point those cheatcodes are what taught me how to type and type fast. Also I guess it gave me bad habits because I still never use the homerow while typing. Just something similar but not quite. (I hover my hand around WASD and IJKL when I type)

Ularg fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 8, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Turok 1 has not aged gracefully, and I think this looping five seconds of music is going to drive me insane.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Ularg posted:

At a certain point those cheatcodes are what taught me how to type and type fast. Also I guess it gave me bad habits because I still never use the homerow while typing. Just something similar but not quite. (I hover my hand around WASD and IJKL when I type)

I also have lovely typing habits thanks to video games. I learned to type really, really drat fast in CS 1.6 so I could shoot out incredibly high-brow prepubescent insults and not get typekilled, so my left hand hovers over the WASD side of the keyboard and completely dominates that half, whereas with the other half I press all the keys with my pointer finger because I'd just instantly reposition my trigger finger mousehand over the keyboard and go from there. My WPM is still something absurd like 110 so I don't worry about it too much.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Roth posted:

Turok 1 has not aged gracefully, and I think this looping five seconds of music is going to drive me insane.

I bought both of the remasters but when it came time to install and play one, I have to admit that I went straight for Turok 2. I should probably get around to at least (re)visiting Turok 1 at some point, but yeah.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Turok 1 is great. Fight me.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I love both Turoks but if the music in 1 is messing with you then you might enjoy 2 more because it has a drat good soundtrack.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
me and my brother had a turok game on the 64 and you could be a raptor that held a gun.

turok will always hold up and stand the test of time, even if raptors didn't

e: i never played turok 1, and if this one had a singleplayer i never played it. apparently it was Turok Rage Wars, i guess? i literally can not remember singleplayer even being an option, but i was also like 10 so who knows

Mister No fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 8, 2018

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Roth posted:

Remember there is two soundtracks. They aren't completely different, but some people prefer the CD Audio tracks over the N64 tracks. Take the time to go through the options available.

Mister No posted:

me and my brother had a turok game on the 64 and you could be a raptor that held a gun.

turok will always hold up and stand the test of time, even if raptors didn't

e: i never played turok 1, and if this one had a singleplayer i never played it. apparently it was Turok Rage Wars, i guess? i literally can not remember singleplayer even being an option, but i was also like 10 so who knows

Sounds like Rage Wars, it was a multiplayer only game in the same way the Unreal Tournament also only has multiplayer. Turok 1 is the exact opposite, it only has singleplayer.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
For some bizarre reason I originally played Turok 1 on PC while listening to the Beach Boys. Now every time I hear Surfing USA I instinctively think of exploding dino heads

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Convex posted:

For some bizarre reason I originally played Turok 1 on PC while listening to the Beach Boys. Now every time I hear Surfing USA I instinctively think of exploding dino heads

same but Doom and the Blues Brothers soundtracks

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Convex posted:

JerryLee posted:

same but Doom and the Blues Brothers soundtracks

Chasm: The Rift and The Art of Noise.

I was like 11 years old, this music is hosed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Convex posted:

Same but Turok 2 and Fortress by Sting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
First time I played Quake with a soundtrack was with the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Forgot to take the CD out and it was a weird experience. Now I can only accosiate 'Foxy Lady' and 'Crosstown Traffic' with Quake.