Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Heh, my to-read list is really sprawling out thanks to you guys and gals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
this thread will do that to you

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I started reading Half of a Yellow Sun and im enjoying it so far

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I started reading Half of a Yellow Sun and im enjoying it so far

Where'd the other half go?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

A human heart posted:

Where'd the other half go?

Idk i haven't gotten to that part yet

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is it me or is almost all the "serious literary fiction" of the last few decades just boring middle aged dudes writing about being horny and boring?

it's pretty easy to ignore books written by american white men djude

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

Have you heard the good news about Naguib Mahou and his Cairo trilogy, my friend?

Read this, it's so sick.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Radio Spiricom posted:

it's pretty easy to ignore books written by american white men djude

counterpoint: I've been re-reading Wieland and it's still creepy as hell, especially nowadays

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What land?

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
Wieland by Charles Brockden Brown. Late eighteenth-century American metaphysical horror novel. It's an original of the style that Mason & Dixon pastiches. Still genuinely scary and a Good Read, imo.

middlebrow represent

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Very nearly bought that one and didn't; feeling shame and regret.

How, not what. :spergin:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i have put wieland and a glastonbury romance on my extremely to read list

has anyone read any Richard Marsh?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Sot-Weed Factor owns owns owns can’t reccomend it enough. Started Giles Goat-Boy last week and it’s fun but I’m annoyed at how college focused it is.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm most of the way through Return from the Stars, it's a little weird, doesn't feel like other Lems and it has women in it for a change and Lem is not very good at writing women. The people from the future society have more in common with me than the protagonist does though so at least he got that right. It's too long winded for its own good and as far as I know Lem himself didn't really like it

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i just finished Platform by Houellebecq. i liked it but In the Miso Soup is still my favorite sex tourist book.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Just finished Confessions of a Mask and enjoyed it. Looking for recommendations for further reading. I would like something with a big cast of characters - I liked The War at the End of the World a lot, and Midnight’s Children was also enjoyable. Please be kind and recommend me something sprawling

I read Arundhati Roy's The Ministry of Utmost Happiness this year and loved it--I think it might meet that criteria. Maybe!

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought Tailspin by Steven Neill today :cheers: :911: :420:

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVWKP9QPRjU

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004

thehoodie posted:

I second this. Sometimes I think M&D is better than GR. From a character perspective it certainly is.

I'll also add The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth to this list. Just finished it yesterday. Absolutely hysterical book.

Would you recommend Sot Weed for someone who really enjoyed JR? (For reasons besides length)

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

MystOpportunity posted:

Would you recommend Sot Weed for someone who really enjoyed JR? (For reasons besides length)

yes

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

bef posted:

I bought Tailspin by Steven Neill today :cheers: :911: :420:

Failspin.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I do not see any connection between JR and Sott Weed. I guess I don't notice any meaning in the works of John Barth besides him turning academic cartwheels to impress someone or entertain himself, not sure. Giles Goat Boy for eg struck me as a competently written Jasper Fford book.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Nice

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
You see, eg is short for eggsample

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

the fore egg is just the shell

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
there's a guy at work who uses ie and eg interchangeably and it drives me kind of nuts :(

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Jikes posted:

there's a guy at work who uses ie and eg interchangeably and it drives me kind of nuts :(
Just thinking about it, I can feel my nuts being driven.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

i'm so mad!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
just learn latin you savages

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Oliver Twist ............. it's mediocre

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Wow that IS a twist

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
who can forget charles dickens classic line "thank you sir may i have another"

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
you don’t eat yer meat, you can’t have any pudding! - charles dickens

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I never liked Dickens and don't understand what people see in that poo poo.

The best Dickens is that one Beavis & Butthead parody episode

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Reading Danube by Claudio Magris. Guy travelling down the Danube writing interchangeably about history, philosophy, personal musings. Very good, and hits a niche that I didn't know I had. If anyone has anything else like this to recommend, I would appreciate it!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Check out Predrag Matvejevic and his Mediterranean: A Cultural Landscape, here’s a review that sums it up nicely https://articles.latimes.com/1999/sep/02/news/cl-5839

Matvejevic and Magris belong to the same cultural circle and were buddies in real life, as far as I know.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Shibawanko posted:

I never liked Dickens and don't understand what people see in that poo poo.

The best Dickens is that one Beavis & Butthead parody episode

Dickens is like Chaplin, imo, how much you like his work depends a lot on your tolerance for sentimentality.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Bleak House rules idiots

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
More like Martin CHUCKLEFUCKwit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Radio Spiricom posted:

Bleak House rules idiots

Barnaby Rudge is my favorite of his. It's a little darker and more direct than most of his novels (it's set during the anti-Catholic Gordon riots) and Barnaby and Grip are less sugar-coated than most Dickens leads.