Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

up-armored the ol' rear brake yesterday. I had one of these on, but when I put my new rear tire on I found it was mysteriously missing. Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Wait the stock one is brazed? :psyduck:

That's totally understandable, you're upgrading it.

Yeah. If you look at the first picture you can see a bit of brass residue on the broken piece.

I suppose it's possible that the brazing was a PO fix at some point, but I didn't see any signs of previous welding on the peg, and from the other PO repairs I've come across I think that his method would have involved super glue and baling wire.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
DRZ got a new head pipe and spark arrestor thrown on. I wrapped the header because purple was available and gaudy purple is my poo poo for this bike.
Runs even more lean now! But it sounds better. I’ll resolve the lean issue with the FCR I have waiting on my bench.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Exhaust is on. Tune is done. Fluids are changed. Techspecs are on. Tomorrow morning awaits.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Took the Rex (Yoshi) for its first ride of the year.

But first I had to splice on a little extra fuel hose, since when I cut the new one apparently I made it half an inch too short to want to go on easily. I'm thinking this is actually better, though. Kawasaki, in their infinite wisdom, had a larger barb on the petcock than on the carbs. So any fuel line I was going to put on, that wasn't the OEM part, was going to be a real stretch over the petcock side, and would basically have to be destroyed to remove it. Now, I've got a double-ended barb where I can reach it if I ever have to remove the tank again, and if I do have to destroy the little piece of line between the tank and barb, I don't have to pull the carbs to fit a new one.

I do think the carbs could use a clean and re-synch, but I've been offline enough this year, so I'm happy to leave it for a while.

Also I cranked it for like a minute until I remembered the choke, and I learned what it feels like when it needs to switch over to reserve. Fortunately, filling the tank solved the problem I thought I had with the fuel level sender.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Took the old Mikuni off. FCR is on. 3x3 airbox hole cut. I won’t say it was painless because gently caress the DRZ’s air box boot but I definitely thought it would be a longer, more frustrating experience.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Took my last rides up and down LSD and Sheridan Rd in Chicago and trailered it to Ann Arbor. Anyone know some fun spots to ride over here?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rode to work this morning.

Realized I hadn't fully attached the radiator support brackets.

Rode home at lunch.

A block away from home, the speedo cable detached itself from the gauge pods. Guess I must not have got the nut in tight enough when I replaced all my dash bulbs with LEDs last fall.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Slavvy posted:

I like what you've done there in practice, it's a good solution and looks tidy and clean.

I hate what you've done there on principle cause no matter how much you dress it up you're still one of those terrible people that use a bolt for a broken off pedal tip :v:

There is absolutely no way I'm buying a new shifter assembly for $50+ when I can run down to the local Home Desperate and repair the issue for $0.38 (shifting via friction with the lever and a toe broken by the same snapped peg make it a fairly difficult solution though)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rode it in to work because the SV tires are down to the cords

The elite continues to be secretly one of the most fun bikes I’ve owned. I love riding it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that thing is awesome and also needs a pizza delivery box, whether or not you use it for actual pizza delivery

my biek intro was on an '84 Spree and i love boxy dumb scooters to this day

e: i love that enough love is shown to this thing that it has not only a phone mount but charging power. i'm inspired

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I commute on it on the freeway, so Waze is useful enough to warrant the mount plus the cigarette lighter in the glovebox.

I do have a big Tupperware box that can go on it, sadly it won’t be mistaken for a pizza warmer though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If it's good enough for sarah connor it's good enough for anyone.

Slightly-bigger-than-fifty scooters are some of the funnest bikes in existence. My favourite is the UZ125 - fuel injection, 13-odd horsepower and wheels/wheelbase like a 50.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The wheelbase is a big part of it for the elite too. It’s wheelbase is shorter than the Helix, the much more common scooter with which it shares a drivetrain, so it turns quicker and in general feels much more lively.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Took out the CL350 for the first time in like a year. I forgot how nice and pleasant this bike is to ride.

It ain't fast and it doesn't turn sharply and the brakes are weak and the suspension is like a pogo stick and it sounds like a weedeater inside a sewing machine but when you're just puttering along at 38 miles an hour, 5th gear, just cruising, sitting bolt upright, taking in everything around you and getting a lovely foot massage through the pegs... it's just real nice.

Once again small bikes best bikes

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 6, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Small hondas best hondas.

Honda goodness is inversely proportionate to capacity. ST1100 and shadow 1600 are some of the worst bikes I've ridden.

NSR250/125 and the various 250/400 multis are some of the best bikes in existence.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Dear Diary,

I love feeling the tiny Gs of my GN125 accelerating to its max power in top gear at 60 mph. I hit an indicated 67 today. 70 is in sight.

Gonna post about it on the cool forums and show my internet friends! I will be crowned inter-king. I will receive a GN125 trophy (covered in the appropriate rust)

I wonder if the tachometer drive seal will ever stop leaking :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

Dear Diary,

I love feeling the tiny Gs of my GN125 accelerating to its max power in top gear at 60 mph. I hit an indicated 67 today. 70 is in sight.

Gonna post about it on the cool forums and show my internet friends! I will be crowned inter-king. I will receive a GN125 trophy (covered in the appropriate rust)

I can tell you over the internet that your gn125 is running really, really good!

I'm not being sarcastic, most of those I see are so run down they can't break past 50m/80kmh without a hill or a strong wind.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slide Hammer posted:

Dear Diary,

But how?

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I don't even know. Before the Winter, it was running like Slavvy said, kind of slow and run-down. After the Winter, something just loosened up in the valves or Chinese Mikuni-copy carburetor I bought for it and it's been running like a scalded dog.

Twist ending: the speedometer isn't accurate any longer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Small hondas best hondas.

Honda goodness is inversely proportionate to capacity. ST1100 and shadow 1600 are some of the worst bikes I've ridden.

NSR250/125 and the various 250/400 multis are some of the best bikes in existence.

Honda spree confirmed as best bike ever

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Honda ct70 is best little honda, fight me irl.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

velocross posted:

Honda ct70 is best little honda, fight me irl.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ct90/110 are the one true motorcycle. Fight god himself if you disagree

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I don't know about best but this is definitely the smallest honda:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It is also definitely the best Honda.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Bottom pic is only a few generations away from the Terminator: Salvation killer bikes.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Put YZ125 bottom end together, gonna slap ebay score used Athena 144 on it tomorrow then put that fucker on the 'list

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Hm, Ninjaflex toe rubber. That would be infinitely better than the stack of electrical grommets I'm using now. I just happen to have black Ninjaflex at work, too. Maybe I should order some green to match my bad-rear end green urethane footpegs?
https://hippykillergarage.myshopify.com/collections/parts/products/foot-pegs?variant=21005642691

The last thing I made of Ninjaflex for home use was a set of replacement practice tips for our fencing blades. They are holding up very well, no unintended penetrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dielectric posted:

Hm, Ninjaflex toe rubber. That would be infinitely better than the stack of electrical grommets I'm using now. I just happen to have black Ninjaflex at work, too. Maybe I should order some green to match my bad-rear end green urethane footpegs?
https://hippykillergarage.myshopify.com/collections/parts/products/foot-pegs?variant=21005642691

The last thing I made of Ninjaflex for home use was a set of replacement practice tips for our fencing blades. They are holding up very well, no unintended penetrations.

Do it. I've been riding around on it for a week now and it's not even deformed, looks brand new.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I should’ve taken better pictures of the finished product, even though the awful app is poo poo about uploading pics, but finished the following over yesterday and today;
KTM:
- new rear tire IN THE PROPER MOTHER loving DIRECTION this time goddamn
- pulled the fan shroud
- spliced in a second cooling fan, and it looks actually professional no zip ties
- new aftermarket thermostat switch that kicks on much sooner
- finished repairing some damaged wiring in the tail that kept me from having a light and a turn signal
DRZ:
- new air filter and fiddled with the fuel knob and its kinda still backfiring so I guess this weekend I have some carb work to do. Again.
Wife’s Mustang GT:
- pulled the gas tank to change out the gasket between it and the fuel filler nozzle, it was rotted and split and fumes were escaping
- oil change and I bought her some tires, shortening the amount of time I will be able to live this year on no income but look at the above, that’s the real money pit

Edit: oh yeah, I should comment on my new cooling setup. I live in the desert these days and already had one overheating incident. The fans DO both work and they kick on a couple bars sooner. They’re fuckin’ LOUD too! They also don’t shut off until around 3 bars on the temp gauge, which is basically ‘engine off’ so I’m guessing I accidentally converted to an always on setup, for all practical purposes.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 13, 2018

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally remembered to order those dang mirror extensions, they came right quick from Twisted Throttle. As I was putting them together, I realized that *duh* I should replace the drat hex bolts whose heads are mangled as hell from whatever fuckery the PO did. Quick trip Canadian Tire, and the new guys (circled) are in. A bit of Loctite on those main replacement bolts and set overnight, should be good to go for tomorrow.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

poo poo I didn't know mirror extensions were a thing, that's a tempting idea. Right now all I usually see are my elbows unless I lean one way or the other to see the mirrors, but then again I live in a state where lane splitting is legal and I'm not sure I want my mirrors much wider...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I had some ones on the old Bandit that were just blocks of plastic, worked super nice. Added about an inch to the reach.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Update on my KTM’s cooling system overhaul: stop and go desert traffic @ 100 degrees and the gauge stayed at or below 60%. Then I rode up to South Mountain with the father in law on his EX250. Overall very satisfied with where my SMT is at right now.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Decided to open up an eBay caliper and give it a little cleaning, and found a cache of delicious butter stored inside.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
"recent brake fluid change (1993)"

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
YZ144 assembled, leaded 110 mixed, wheelies ripped, Craigslist ad posted.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

Decided to open up an eBay caliper and give it a little cleaning, and found a cache of delicious butter stored inside.

Is this the mamba butter that makes cornering super smooth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Is that what happens when you mix DOT 3 and DOT 5?