Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

...scrub this noxious NOC stink off me.

What does this mean? Is your company so toxic that the NOC is considered a terrible position? I’ve known more than a few good network guys who progressed out of a NOC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'd much rather promote a NOC tech than hire an outside engineer. They know the system inside and out, and are going to be one of the best during downtime.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'd much rather promote a NOC tech than hire an outside engineer. They know the system inside and out, and are going to be one of the best during downtime.

Every time I see a job posting for a mid- or senior-(whatever) the first question I ask myself is: "how toxic is this workplace that they can't/won't grow talent from within?" especially in operations(.../infrastructure/support/whatever-you-want-to-call-internal-IT) where so much of the workflow is going to be super localized and based on system knowledge that is seeped in workplace politics/culture.

It just always confuses me that so many places seem to prefer to go hunt unicorns rather than just training their horses to wear a horn.

:shrug:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

It just always confuses me that so many places seem to prefer to go hunt unicorns rather than just training their horses to wear a horn.

I’m stealing this because I’m an old-goon and this sounds exactly like the folksy wisdom I should already have.

(No seriously, I love that)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

What does this mean? Is your company so toxic that the NOC is considered a terrible position? I’ve known more than a few good network guys who progressed out of a NOC.

NOC people get rode hard and put away wet around here. My last NOC job was similar in that management did their damnest to make us look bad to other departments so we wouldn't get poached. It's an odd situation. I don't see a lot of NOC people leaving for better spots in the company. Generally they just leave.

It's a good company to work for overall though, so I'm holding out hope I can find a spot that gives me regular hours and weekends off so I don't spend every other Saturday poo poo posting on SA.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

NOC people get rode hard and put away wet around here. My last NOC job was similar in that management did their damnest to make us look bad to other departments so we wouldn't get poached. It's an odd situation. I don't see a lot of NOC people leaving for better spots in the company. Generally they just leave.

It's a good company to work for overall though, so I'm holding out hope I can find a spot that gives me regular hours and weekends off so I don't spend every other Saturday poo poo posting on SA.

This is what it's like where I am. It doesn't help that the last time they promoted someone off the NOC (~2.5 years ago), he ran a script the senior engineer gave him and it deleted the entire company's DNS entries.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

xsf421 posted:

This is what it's like where I am. It doesn't help that the last time they promoted someone off the NOC (~2.5 years ago), he ran a script the senior engineer gave him and it deleted the entire company's DNS entries.

Surely there's some backstory here? Nothing about this seems sane from either side.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Sheep posted:

Surely there's some backstory here? Nothing about this seems sane from either side.

Just a crazy environment that is getting crazier as they try to improve it.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Every time I see a job posting for a mid- or senior-(whatever) the first question I ask myself is: "how toxic is this workplace that they can't/won't grow talent from within?" especially in operations(.../infrastructure/support/whatever-you-want-to-call-internal-IT) where so much of the workflow is going to be super localized and based on system knowledge that is seeped in workplace politics/culture.

:shrug:

I work with a ton of people in adjacent teams who I am super glad were not promoted internally into handling the stuff I handle. Pretty much everything I touch that predates me is in absolute shambles, complete with questionable tech decisions, fundamental misunderstandings about extremely simple poo poo (even poo poo that is on the coding interview, like how hash keys work), solutions implemented without ever having read the documentation for the tech or engaging support contacts, etc.

I was going to disagree with you originally because I think hiring me (and most of the rest of the people on my team) was an excellent choice for the organization, but after thinking about it for a second you're absolutely right. The workplace is very toxic, just about everything I have to touch that predates me is horrible garbage that makes everyone's life worse for no benefit.

It's definitely something I should look out for more in the future.

xsf421 posted:

I've done something like this, except not with DNS entries. Every time someone hands me a script though instead of some real automation I'm immediately suspicious and never actually run it without spending some time deconstructing it or stepping through with a debugger.

We had an ansible playbook that managed user and group membership in AWS for the entire development team (~120 users or so). We had an interpolation step where we turned metagroups into actual lists of groups that wasn't coded to short circuit if we ever passed it an empty list, which ended up happening on new hire setup because they were running their day 1 change with a tag that skipped the metagroup interpolation (standard practice for the ticket they got). So, the playbook helpfully enforced our desired state of "nobody should be in any groups" and deleted everyone's group membership.

We noticed immediately, of course, and getting all of the users back into their groups was just running the playbook without the tag to pick up on that interpolation step. Total "downtime" was about 45 seconds or so. I strongly feel that sending someone a literal script, like, "git checkout our-scripts -> run the thing from the command line" is garbage engineering in 2018. If you don't have an automation framework to run your scripts sanely, roll them back, review changes to them, get easy "what if" output, or similar: fixing that should be your first priority.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Krispy Wafer posted:

The managers of a friend at my old job found out someone in his small group was being poached and gave everyone an immediate 20% raise. The best counteroffer is the one you didn't even have to ask for.

Compare that with my job where they've approached the tightening labor market by stocking free snacks in the breakroom and giving the evening shift a 3% differential. Cue everyone but me quitting on my shift. I did discover that even with my babby 7 months of tenure I can transfer to any other department as long as I somehow scrub this noxious NOC stink off me.

I could support an application instead of the network and finally be able to blame the network for everything!

Feels like there could be a market for a business where you hire some phoney headhunters for the sole purpose of putting out feelers amongst your current boss so you can have some leverage in salary negotiations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Nastier Nate posted:

Feels like there could be a market for a business where you hire some phoney headhunters for the sole purpose of putting out feelers amongst your current boss so you can have some leverage in salary negotiations.

:stare:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’ll be a fake headhunter. I just want 10% of your raise for 6 months.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

But then you find out your boss is interested in a new person because they plan to fire you.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So you either get a raise or early warning? I don't see the problem.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The expansion into dating services was awkward as a lot of people found out their partners were actually anxious to get rid of them.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

1000101 posted:

You should be defining your NSX security policies via service composer where you can define weights if you need layered policies. It lends itself well to building a lot of the same thing. If you're going to the firewall section and adding rules there you're doing it wrong.

With respect to "deep packing inspection" (I assume you mean deep packet) it's of questionable value but it can plug into Palo Alto Networks and Checkpoint to address that.

Also all your network traffic from NSX can be exported via netflow to a collector like VRNI which is actually really really really good at displaying where everything is going. It will also audit your NSX configs and do end to end tracking of packets through your network (including physical gear.)

If you're deploying in a brownfield you can use VRNI, Splunk, or log insight to generate your ruleset for you/validate what's flowing through your data center and actually start to lock it down in some reasonable way.

Service Composer is limiting enough that I’ve moved away from using it. You have less control over where to apply the policy, you must have the same security group in either the source or destination field, meaning that if you’re trying to group together the rules for a multipoint app under one section you end up having to do a bunch of nested rules and the weighting concept is harder to work with for ordering than just looking at an ordered list. It’s good for reusable policy like you’d find in a multitenany environment or when orchestrating self service requests, but for translating existing firewall policy into the DFW using Service Composer makes it more difficult. Except, bizarrely that you only see service composer defined rules in the “Related Objects” field of a VM, not rules built directly into the firewall.

And yea, I’ve used Log Insight and VRNI assessments to do flow discovery, but that’s the easy part. The hard part is figuring out how much of that is valid traffic, and that requires some human intelligence, which means it takes forever. Just because two servers are currently communicating doesn’t mean they should be.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I vaguely remember a few years ago that some ISP, over in Europe or the Middle East I think, didn't properly filter out private IP addresses from being publicly routable which caused widespread issues. My google-fu is failing me though, I can't seem to find any articles about it. Does anyone else remember this, and happen to have a link an article about it?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

rafikki posted:

I vaguely remember a few years ago that some ISP, over in Europe or the Middle East I think, didn't properly filter out private IP addresses from being publicly routable which caused widespread issues. My google-fu is failing me though, I can't seem to find any articles about it. Does anyone else remember this, and happen to have a link an article about it?

If I don't properly black hole my private IP ranges I start getting weird replies from inside a Comcast datacenter or something but only in the 192.168.20.0/24 range. I didn't bother digging too far into it but it was definitely making at least one hop past whatever they have on the other side of my cable modem.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Comcast is/way notorious for not filtering private space at the CMTS, it lead to some modem hacking using the public snmp string years ago

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

rafikki posted:

There was a thing where some tiny country advertised prefixes for like half the internet to Level 3 and L3 was just like “oh ok” and tried to send massive amounts of backbone traffic to this countries like Total of 10g aggregate and that worked as well as your expect, not sure about a 1918 space advertisement tho

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There was Pakistan’s attempt to block YouTube as well

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sniep posted:

There was a thing where some tiny country advertised prefixes for like half the internet to Level 3 and L3 was just like “oh ok” and tried to send massive amounts of backbone traffic to this countries like Total of 10g aggregate and that worked as well as your expect, not sure about a 1918 space advertisement tho

I know what you mean, but 1918 space advertisement makes me think "slightly used Germany for sale! Newly remodeled! Many many improvements by previous owner including newly built space to install your preferred government! This is a steal - won't last long!*

*economy not guaranteed to hyper-inflate over the next few years please consult your local treaty negotiator for details."

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody have any thoughts on the performance of Dell XPS laptops? I have $2000 to purchase a new laptop for work and I was wondering how the laptop would handle critical business applications (such as video games).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Vargatron posted:

Anybody have any thoughts on the performance of Dell XPS laptops? I have $2000 to purchase a new laptop for work and I was wondering how the laptop would handle critical business applications (such as video games).

They are talking about the XPS line right now in the laptop thread

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sweet I'll give that a look.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
But for what it's worth, I love my XPS 13. Super light, when I first got it I kept thinking I forgot it because my bag was so light. I didn't do any gaming on it but it handled running a bunch of VMs just fine. Long battery life and I can charge my phone and computer with the same cord.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Vargatron posted:

When I was looking into new laptops I saw a lot of complaints about the XPS line having build quality issues.

I've been really happy with my Ideapad 720S. For the price it's fairly powerful and lightweight. I'm not sure if you could turn it into a $2000 build though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I went ahead and got an XPS for about $1600 plus a Thunderbolt dock. Got an i7 proc, 8GB RAM, 4GB 1050 Ti and a 512GB SSD. The laptop thread was pretty useful in weighing my decision.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The XPS are great, though for work stuff I prefer a Latitude. The company that acquired us is a Lenovo shop though, and I've been looking at the new T480S pretty hard.

No real point to my post though, carry on

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I actually have a 13 inch Latitude that I use for general support calls or travel. The only issue I have with it is that it struggles to handle dual monitors and a bunch of applications open at the same time.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Vargatron posted:

I got a Surface Book earlier this year and I love it, I don't think I'll ever go back to a traditional laptop.
I don't know how beefy a machine you're looking for but I was able to get a display model for a few hundred bucks off.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I just bought a surface as well. Cant wait to play touch screen Civ 5 on my hour train ride

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sepist posted:

I just bought a surface as well. Cant wait to play touch screen Civ 5 on my hour train ride

have fun holding your portable oven

the one thing I hated about the surfacebook was airflow, especially when running graphics-intensive software. The nvidia card in the keyboard vents towards the hinge, which pushes the hot air straight up the screen. Because the rest of the compute is behind the screen, air has to rise through the entire chassis to get out of the top.

My surfacebook ended up warping a bit, I'm guessing due to the heat. The screen bubbled out (very tiny, 1/16" or so but still noticeable just looking at it) and the backside caved in by around the same amount, but the back ended up bumpy as it settled in on the internals. Never broke but it didn't look great.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
After a year or so of use, all the surface books we had started having an issue where the screen would randomly trigger the touch interface even if the laptop was closed. It was a bummer.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My 1st gen Surface couldn’t figure out sleep mode.

So imagine how much fun that was to pull out of a backpack having spent the last 90 minutes on in an enclosed space. Hot hot hot!!!

Still one of the most beautiful pieces of hardware I’ve ever owned.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
My book 2 has been great since I bought it last week (being able to detach the screen and use it as a tablet is great, and getting the pen has finally given me something I'm comfortable drawing on besides pencil and paper) but there's a part of the screen that gets real hot after a while, like "don't rest your hand on it" hot.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Kashuno posted:

After a year or so of use, all the surface books we had started having an issue where the screen would randomly trigger the touch interface even if the laptop was closed. It was a bummer.

Had that happen early in the life of my SB and MS did release a calibration tool to stop that. On the SB2 and no problems so far other than neither laptop could wake the monitors up via the Surfacedock.....

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Kashuno posted:

This happened out of the box for me on 3 of 4 units. There was a hotfix that you could run with the screen open (recalibrated the touchscreen) and it wouldn't happen again.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

lol this job has been posted for like 6 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bob Morales posted:

lol this job has been posted for like 6 months
The funny thing is if they posted two part-time positions instead, this would be really easy to fill with college kids