Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

everything is going all according to vento aureo*

*vento aureo means plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Was Vento Aureo ever an official translation in the first place?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I still find it utterly laughable that we can have a manga and anime and games that can have a Japanese man say "Killer Queen," and when that exact audio track is licensed and used in the west so that everyone can all also hear a Japanese man say "Killer Queen," we have to have a subtitle say "Deadly Queen."

It's the most chickenshit hypocritical silliness.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you do realize that copyright laws are different in different countries, right

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't....see how it's hypocritical.

I also don't see how after four parts, people are still not over this poo poo. It's obviously a concession we have to make, so just deal with it.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Yeah, and it's not like they're changing the names just to be assholes, they're doing it so they don't get sued into oblivion.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
America loving sucks

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Only reason I'd bring it up again is because some of part 5's stand names were particularly bad. For some reason they didn't even bother trying and we got things like Lil' Bomber and Zipper Man.

Also they totally should've gone with Killer King, that sounds way better.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hopefully they don’t use Zipperman and Lil Bomber. They tend to use the names from the English games but they’ve changed a few, like Pole Jam instead of Opal Jam.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Zippy Fingers

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Six Pistols.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Infamous L.A.R.G.E.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Waffleman_ posted:

Was Vento Aureo ever an official translation in the first place?

It came up as the title for All Star Battle. They also used 'Diamond is Not Crash' so... I don't really know what's the deal either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whyCZ2Vywkg

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

LightningKimba posted:

It came up as the title for All Star Battle. They also used 'Diamond is Not Crash' so... I don't really know what's the deal either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whyCZ2Vywkg

Filthy Acts At A Reasonable Price

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Golden Wind was the official title in France too. Only heard vento aureo from english speakers

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

given that vento aureo literally means golden wind i dunno why it would even be an issue

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

given that vento aureo literally means golden wind i dunno why it would even be an issue

I assume it's just because it's part of the whole Italy aesthetic, like how Giorno's name isn't JoJo, it's GioGio

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If you don't think Boyz Men Men and Worse Company are godtier yr a coward bitch

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Flaccid Pancake

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Golden Wind/Vento Aureo has nothing to do with copyright stuff

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Narancia and his stand Alan Smithee

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kurtofan posted:

Golden Wind/Vento Aureo has nothing to do with copyright stuff

yeah, there's absolutely nothing that would prevent them from using either, it's just a conscious choice on their part and from a point of view it probably makes more sense to have all the titles in one language instead of one arbitrarily being in another

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

This really is a lot like arguing about whether or not it should have been diamond is not crash

And stand names are changed for copyright reasons, we go over this so much. Prince was very litigious and no doubt his estate will be too, for which I can't blame him because he was pushed around but even if it seems ridiculous there's a reason for it and you can not watch a dub and not care too much about the subs pretty easily

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just thought Vento Aureo sounded cooler tbh. Like how I preferred Ripple to Hamon/Sendo.

I'm sorry for causing this derail.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im not sure how to pronounce vento aureo or any italian so im glad they're changing it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

prince didn't even want weird holograms made of him after he died and yet the fuckers did it anyway

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I feel like prince would approve of Gio tbh

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

EmmyOk posted:

Add in Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price

idk I just think knock-off names are really funny for some reason.

EmmyOk posted:

I feel like prince would approve of Gio tbh

You know what, though, I really want a Snoop Dogg song for the ED because I want this to be the reason that Snoop finds out that JoJo exists, if he didn't already, and I can't stop thinking about that. I need this.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 8, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also anyone keeping up with the anime only knows by now that the names are supposed to be music refs and in a lot of cases can guess it even from the changed ones so what does it matter

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

also anyone keeping up with the anime only knows by now that the names are supposed to be music refs and in a lot of cases can guess it even from the changed ones so what does it matter

Right? I always accepted it as yet another welcome layer of camp, specially when you can clearly hear the jp va say something different

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

BaDandy posted:

You know what, though, I really want a Snoop Dogg song for the ED because I want this to be the reason that Snoop finds out that JoJo exists, if he didn't already, and I can't stop thinking about that. I need this.

Snoop not only knowing about Jojo but also being a fan would be incredibly unsurprising.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Araki must really hate J. Geils to name that character after him.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Expect My Mom posted:

im not sure how to pronounce vento aureo or any italian so im glad they're changing it

I had no idea how to pronounce Narancia and thought it was Na Ran See Ya

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Meme Emulator posted:

I had no idea how to pronounce Narancia and thought it was Na Ran See Ya

Wait... how are you supposed to say it?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Aquasnake posted:

Na Ran Cha

e: Heres a weird website I just found. The way I think its supposed to be said would be the "Italian Pronunciation" and the way I always said it before was the 8th English Pronunciation (USA)

http://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Narancia%20Ghirga

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 8, 2018

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Italian is wierd, sorta like how GioGio is practically identical to JoJo but I always said it like Gee Oh Gee Oh.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Aquasnake posted:

Like Ciao

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Boy Man Man

FirstAidKite