Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ZiegeDame posted:

The big difference to me is being forced to use your first character in every scenario. If each story is going to be separate I'd much rather have more freedom to try different team compositions without having to drag around the same person who is only plot-relevant 1/8th of the time.

Counterpoint: like I am ever not going to bring my guy who steals things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Not a fan of that main character requirement. Maybe they'll justify it and pay it off in the story, but I'm worried I'm going to be stuck with someone I end up not liking.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Reality Loser posted:

Not a fan of that main character requirement. Maybe they'll justify it and pay it off in the story, but I'm worried I'm going to be stuck with someone I end up not liking.

easy solution is to just pick Tressa :hmmyes:

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
I'm taking the OCTOPATH. Started with Ophilia, and am wrapping up Cyrus with just under 2 and a half hours of playtime. Tomorrow I'll start and see how far I can get through Tressa's story.

But after that I think I'm just going to not be swayed by review discussion until release and the play and enjoy this game however the developers intended regardless of the level of party interaction.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Look, if you need Therion to open the special purple chests you come across, you all might as well just pick him as your starter. :colbert:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Maybe I want to play Pokemon and start with Haanit. :colbert:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Eddain posted:

Look, if you need Therion to open the special purple chests you come across, you all might as well just pick him as your starter. :colbert:
It's a logical choice. He's got boss debuffs, which are super important. His level affects steal rates, so naturally you want him to be the one who's overleveled. His path action is comparatively way less redundant with Tressa's than Olberic/H'aanit or Alfyn/Cyrus. (Primrose and Ophilia are also totally non-redundant.) Plus, he's pretty neat and has an interesting past!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/authenticalyn/status/1013399593751416833?s=19

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

This one is much better

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I have legit no idea who to pick first and its consuming me

I went olberic but he sounds less cool than the merchant, thief, hunter in terms of being able to do fun stuff

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Eddain posted:

:yeah:

Plus being able to rob people blind will be handy for making money be less of an issue, probably.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I get people being a little dismayed at the possible lack of regular scenes of party, but I started with Olberic and when I picked up Tressa I was already making up dialogue between them to explain why an ex-SOLDIER would be helping a neophyte merchant. It worked for me

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Maybe I want to play Pokemon and start with Haanit. :colbert:

I'm only getting Octopath to fill in time until November 16.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Seeing all the hype for this game in this thread finally convinced me to download the demo last night, and I started it before bed.

Went with best girl Primrose for my main character, and now that I've made the world a better place by ridding it of Helgenish, I'm debating whether to go clockwise or counterclockwise.

primroseintensifies.gif

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
The voice acting of That villain gurgling and dying really made me happy.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

One of my favourite things about this game is how they make bosses ridiculously large compared to everything else.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Frankston posted:

One of my favourite things about this game is how they make bosses ridiculously large compared to everything else.

it's a great callback to the old Final Fantasy games wherein the enemies were just huge images

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I just played the demo and I am stoked. My merry band is (in order) Ophelia, Tressa, Alfyn and their intros were really good! Looking forward to Friday

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Decided to grab Olberic for my party next. Really digging the voice work in this one, though I noticed Patrick Seitz slipping into his Garrosh Hellscream voice a bit on the "My blade is UNBENDING!" line. :allears:

Got a little over half an hour left of the demo. Might just park it here until Friday, since I like to take my time with these kinds of games. Definitely going to be picking this up, though.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
I've seen both answers but can you really never swap out your first Character?

I've got a demo save with H'aanit but I'm not sure I want her as my main.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Hey there everyone! Here are the results of the polls I put up a few days ago.

One pretty clear thing from this is that the Tressa love is strong, scoring the highest in the starting character poll and second in the character story interest poll. Funnily enough, Ophilia scored second highest for starting character but was ranked last for the interest in character story. Maybe she's being picked for more pragmatic reasons or to do the OCTOPATH path. Not a lot of love for Alfyn or Olberic who scored low on both polls, but it seems like Primrose's darker story struck a chord with the majority of people here as she scored the highest in character story interest but that interest was not enough for her to be deemed a popular starting character. Therion seems consistent scoring third in both polls too while H'aanit and Cyrus hover around the middle for both polls.

Overall, it's interesting to see what others intentions are and while there is a lot of members of the cult of Tressa, there's still seems to be an interest in all the stories as no one scored 0 on either poll. I might do a poll after a month or so to see if things have changed over time and comparing the two should be really interesting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

voltcatfish posted:

Do we know if it's possible to go through the game (a story?) with just one character?

Not that I would necessarily do that, I'm just curious.

The video above the guy asks this question after the nintendo dude says the stories are intertwined, and he says "you'll have to wait and see" so we don't know :/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I have legit no idea who to pick first and its consuming me

I went olberic but he sounds less cool than the merchant, thief, hunter in terms of being able to do fun stuff

Reality Loser posted:

Zaphod42 posted:

Character guide (If you need help picking your starting dude)

Olberic - standard fantasy story. Basically Basch from FFXII. Pick this if you want a traditional medieval knights tale. Challenges dudes to fights.

Cyrus - Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney except he's a wizard in a fantasy land. He actually has interrogations and puzzles and ‘objection!’ moments (okay he doesn’t say objection but same thing, seriously) He’s a wizard lawyer. Funny and interesting. Investigates clues and lies.

Therion - Thief extraordinaire, steal everything from everybody and sneak your way around direct conflicts. Fun and interesting sneaky way to see the world, while robbing people blind left and right. Can steal almost anything, although there's a chance you'll be caught and your reputation suffers.

Ophilia - Traditional RPG style ‘chosen one’ religious beginning where she begins soft-spoken but has to make a stand for what she believes in and set off on a pilgrimage. Also summons things.

Primrose - A dancer (see: prostitute, they don’t hide this) who used to be a princess. Now out for revenge. This story rocks if you wanna see women give abusive men what they have coming. But also fairly adult subject matter. Unique ability lets her charm NPCs to fight in battle as summons, very fun.

Alfyn - Super friendly good-guy who just wants to help everybody out. Pick this if you just want to help people. Healer who wants to tend all the sick the world over. Investigates people's life stories.

Tressa - the foil to Therion, Tressa can also acquire goods from people all over the place, only she pays a fair price. Very friendly and good-natured and eager and optimistic, basically halfway between Therion and Alfyn. Leaves on an adventure kinda like Bilbo Baggins. Can purchase goods that Therion would be able to steal, for a price. But no chance of reputation hit, and there's a chance she haggles for better prices.

H’aanit - forest huntress with a pet snow leopard, on the trail to find her missing master who has been missing for months tracking down a great beast. Some people find her demeanor a bit cold, but there’s some great style in her starting area and her pet summoning abilities are fun. Challenges dudes to fights.

You will end up getting all the characters at some point and if you want you can even see their entire story had you started as them when you collect them into your party.

My favorites so far are Primrose, Cyrus and Olberic in that order.

There's no wrong answer. But the right answer is Primrose

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I think I'm starting with Tressa. I know everyone's starting with Tressa, but I just love her so much and I'm not even sure why.

Although, Alfyn and Cyrus are major contenders to knock her out of Party Captain status. I just don't know yet! I like all these people!

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Does anyone know for sure when the 3 hour limit kicks in? I head it basically let's you finish what your doing. But I literally just started Tressa's story with only 6 minutes to spare so I'm guessing I should just hold off on playing until release.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

Does anyone know for sure when the 3 hour limit kicks in? I head it basically let's you finish what your doing. But I literally just started Tressa's story with only 6 minutes to spare so I'm guessing I should just hold off on playing until release.

Just about after 3 hours it will basically pause the game and ask you to save, so you can continue from exactly there when the full game is out. If you're mid-cutscene or battle I'm pretty confident it won't kick you out until you finish that, and then when you get back to walking around it'll pause and ask you to save. There's not much reason to hold off.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
The timer starts after you pick your initial character, I believe. And then at 3 hours into the save you'll get the forced pause/save Zaphod described.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

This game comes out right as I start a run of six 12 hour shifts in a row, so the only reasonable thing for me to do is to not sleep for a week.

Still debating whether I'm going to continue my demo "speedrun" (got all 8 characters and a bunch of other stuff) to jump right into new content, or start over to enjoy everything at a more leisurely pace. It's a tough choice.

I'm also going wobbly on party selection. I like everybody.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Aquasnake posted:

I was well before the ending of Tressa's story when my limit was up in theory and the game allowed me to continue beyond 3 hours until I finished her story.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I just had a similar experience. I saved in between, too and it kept on logging as 3:00:00. The "thanks for playing" screen only popped up when I headed east out of Rippletide after finishing her prologue.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

KonvexKonkav posted:

I was well before the ending of Tressa's story when my limit was up in theory and the game allowed me to continue beyond 3 hours until I finished her story.

How far before? I literally just got control of her.

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004
Now I'm torn. I decided to go Tressa main after the first demo playthough because I want to be Final Fantasy Kimmy Schmidt. Just did a second run with Therion and I love his thieving ways. My Tressa, Cyrus, Ophelia, Olberic (TCOO) quartet is out the window now. I guess it is good you can subclass, and I'm sure you won't have to min/max this game to enjoy it. Primrose was also pretty awesome, so she may work her way in there too. Sneaky way of Squenix to force you to juggle all the characters by making all of them interesting.

Also, can you swap characters in and out in towns at any time through that one person? Example being if I want to steal that golden axe, swap in someone who can challenge people, and Therion to steal it, then swap back to whatever group I was rolling with.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Fetko posted:

Also, can you swap characters in and out in towns at any time through that one person? Example being if I want to steal that golden axe, swap in someone who can challenge people, and Therion to steal it, then swap back to whatever group I was rolling with.
You can swap people in and out, but everyone's path action depends on their level, so if you don't ever use Therion for example your steal chance will be miserably low.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'd figure Tressa would be a permanent addition since you get passive money just for traveling.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
someone mentioned chests that only Therion could open, I wonder if those can be opened if you subclass.

what I'm saying is, make Tressa a thieving merchant and get everything on one character :pram:

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You can swap people in and out, but everyone's path action depends on their level, so if you don't ever use Therion for example your steal chance will be miserably low.

So I can save scum if I hate myself. Tressa/Therion dream team it is.

Oh, are the same items available to steal/buy? I would assume so, but there were some drat expensive things in Tressa's first story that I can't imagine would be the equivalent of the 100%s that are in Therion's.

Your Computer posted:

someone mentioned chests that only Therion could open, I wonder if those can be opened if you subclass.

what I'm saying is, make Tressa a thieving merchant and get everything on one character :pram:

You don't get the path actions by subclassing, do you? thought it was just their weapons/abilities that came with that. Otherwise, yeah, Tressa will make Therion obsolete for me.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I was heading south of his starting area with Cyrus when I ran into this weird creature. I could only deal 1 damage to it, but when it went down I gained about 10 levels.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Nope, that's Therion's unique ability, like H'aanit's pokemon mechanic or Alfyn's mixing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fetko posted:

You don't get the path actions by subclassing, do you? thought it was just their weapons/abilities that came with that.
oh yeah I didn't consider that

anyway all I know for certain is that I want Tressa with her quest for adventure and Alfyn with his quest to be the goodest boy on my team.

:hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Nope, that's Therion's unique ability, like H'aanit's pokemon mechanic or Alfyn's mixing.

Uhhhh hold up. Therion's ability on the overworld is pickpocketing, but his ability in combat is stealing. H'aanit's pokemon is her combat; she challenges dudes like Oberic as her overworld ability. Alfyn investigates like Cyrus, but yes in combat he mixes, but it isn't like Therion's pickpocketing.

But we were talking about opening chests. That's not either of the things unique to Therion.

Your Computer posted:

I don't think all the locked chests are Therion, I was able to open some of them when I had 2 party members in the demo even though one of them wasn't Therion. They're just items that require you to go back with someone in particular, so some of them may be Therion but either there will be chests that require all characters or multiple characters can probably learn the unlocking chests thing.