Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Halloween Jack posted:

1. What are the best examples of Battlebabes in fiction? Milla Jovovich in the Resident Evil series is probably the most obvious answer, but IMO Snake Plissken was the first Battlebabe, followed by Trash in Bronx Warriors 2 (he was a Chopper in the first one), and most recently, Mad Max by the time of Fury Road.

I feel like Mad Max could actually be a Battlebabe in the second and third movies as well. He's the guy from out of town who arrives into charged situations and changes them. The 2e addition of letting the Battlebabe gain an Ally as an advance makes me think of people like the Gyro Captain or Pig Killer.

Halloween Jack posted:

2. What is the value of tags like +valuable and +high-tech? Don't they play out purely as constraints?

They might be? They tell you things about the item, but you could also add to what they can do in the fiction. For instance, the Quarantine gets 2-armor like several other playbooks - but their armor is hi-tech. What does that mean? Well, it probably has functions that the Gunlugger's armor doesn't.

Also, it being a constraint might be good. The Brainer's special gear is all hi-tech which means it's not common, which makes sense. People would really like deep ear plugs but it's going to be hard to find a pair or get someone to make one for you.

Halloween Jack posted:

3. Why did they take the new rules for weapon ranges and harm back out?

What do you mean? I think the ranges are the same in 2e as they are in 1e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Tank Girl.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Heliotrope posted:

They might be? They tell you things about the item, but you could also add to what they can do in the fiction. For instance, the Quarantine gets 2-armor like several other playbooks - but their armor is hi-tech. What does that mean? Well, it probably has functions that the Gunlugger's armor doesn't.

Maybe I'm a gamist piece of poo poo but I don't know why you'd pick +valuable for your weapon if you don't intend to sell it, when you could get something that actually helps you.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Narrative positioning.

It's important to remember that that tag is a fundamentally true and different thing about the item. A valuable pistol, for example, looks really nice and distinctive and is just flat out better. It's not the usual rough & ready or improvised weapon most people in the world have. It marks you out as someone with means, or as someone who had means once, or someone who took something off someone with means. It's also something that doesn't look out of place if you take it somewhere lux. It also makes the weapon something other people want.

Picking +valuable does give you the option to pawn it off for something else, but it also says something about the item and your character.

Hi-tech is similar, but instead of just being fancy you've got something that's, well, hi-tech. Lots of plastic, it's sealed up and probably not easily repaired, but it's lighter and easier to handle and probably more reliable and almost certainly has capabilities nothing of the current world can match.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Heliotrope posted:

What do you mean? I think the ranges are the same in 2e as they are in 1e.
I mean the ones from Fallen Empire. I really like the "weapons do 2-harm, 3-harm in a range where they're deadly" rule. It's a good baseline for establishing what makes for an extra-good weapon like the Battlebabe and Gunlugger get. It also means I can give people an incentive to take a .38 over a magnum or SMG.

I forgot to mention it, but I assume the Battlebabe isn't just going to sell or gift his +valuable or +hitech weapon. Gamble it on a bet he has no intention of losing, maybe...

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Hi-tech is similar, but instead of just being fancy you've got something that's, well, hi-tech. Lots of plastic, it's sealed up and probably not easily repaired, but it's lighter and easier to handle and probably more reliable and almost certainly has capabilities nothing of the current world can match.
Because the corebook puts emphasis on hitech gear being costly to repair or replace, I tend to see it through crosshairs. But I'm contradicting myself, since I'm assuming that cool unique gear shouldn't easily be lost or discarded. I should be thinking of it as lighter, more durable, and more convenient instead of less so.

Heliotrope posted:

I feel like Mad Max could actually be a Battlebabe in the second and third movies as well. He's the guy from out of town who arrives into charged situations and changes them. The 2e addition of letting the Battlebabe gain an Ally as an advance makes me think of people like the Gyro Captain or Pig Killer.
I agree. I think that where Snake, Max, and Trash really align with the Battlebabe is that they "seize protagonism" by dint of being cool, competent, and unique...but aren't the protagonist, because they don't change much. Max is the main character of Fury Road and his point-of-view shapes the narrative most of the time, but Furiosa is the protagonist through and through.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 6, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Because the corebook puts emphasis on hitech gear being costly to repair or replace, I tend to see it through crosshairs. But I'm contradicting myself, since I'm assuming that cool unique gear shouldn't easily be lost or discarded. I should be thinking of it as lighter, more durable, and more convenient instead of less so.
I think the key with hi-tech is that when you do need to see it through the crosshairs, that's when the issues with repair come through. It's harder to break in the first place, and has the advantages you mention, but if it does get damaged or broken, it's harder to get fixed - in contrast to a non-hi-tech piece, it's not just a matter of finding your local savvyhead and having them do a quick patch up, you've either got to just live with the screen being cracked or you have an entire quest, so to speak, to get the material you need.

In contrast, valuable through the crosshairs is something that's likely to get stolen or looted first thing, something you'll need to track someone down to get back - and is something worth hunting someone down to retrieve. That can be a solid task to present to a character as the consequence for a major gently caress up. Alternatively, if the player took it off someone themselves, the original owner turns up looking to get it back.

Of course you can also use theft on for hi-tech and damage for valuable. I think they each lean towards their particular set of consequences though. Hi-tech is still worth stealing for people, but often they won't know how to really make full use of it, so it's either only partly useful or even potentially dangerous to them. In contrast, a damaged valuable item probably still functions just fine or can easily be jury-rigged back to functionality, the difficult part is more a matter of restoration than repair.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You must journey into the mountains, child, through the snow and the howling winds, past the Great Eye. There, on the highest peak, hidden from mortal eyes, you will find the ancient monastery where the monks still practice the lost art of fixing an iPhone screen.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Halloween Jack posted:

I agree. I think that where Snake, Max, and Trash really align with the Battlebabe is that they "seize protagonism" by dint of being cool, competent, and unique...but aren't the protagonist, because they don't change much. Max is the main character of Fury Road and his point-of-view shapes the narrative most of the time, but Furiosa is the protagonist through and through.

So speaking of roles played by Kurt Russell I think this makes Jack Burton a Battlebabe who really just wants to be a Driver.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Hey, so, I've just brought out five new PbtA games based on Legacy.
Godsend and Rhapsody of Blood are completely standalone and the most diverged from Legacy, being respectively a diceless god game and an action-packed totally-not-castlevania cinematic boss fight game.
Primal Pathways, Worldfall and Generation Ship will work best with knowledge of Legacy, as we didn't have room in the book for full examples of play for the moves and they're written assuming you have Legacy to refer to. They're playable with just the PDF and the included handouts sheet if you're determined, though. Pick them up to play Spore-like biopunk fantasy, Alpha Centauri-inspired political science fiction, and resourced-starved survival between the stars in a ship that was never built to support its now-thawed passengers.
I'm really really happy with the artistic and writing team I put together for these. If any of those pitches pique your interest, go take a look!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I like how goons are listing a ton of supposed battlebabes, none of which is an actual babe.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Lichtenstein posted:

I like how goons are listing a ton of supposed battlebabes, none of which is an actual babe.
OK, then how 'bout this: Lorrain Broughton (Charlize Theron) from Atomic Blonde.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
:wrong:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ilor posted:

OK, then how 'bout this: Lorrain Broughton (Charlize Theron) from Atomic Blonde.

Yeah, I’m down with this.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Lichtenstein posted:

Uh, excuse me.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean the ones from Fallen Empire. I really like the "weapons do 2-harm, 3-harm in a range where they're deadly" rule. It's a good baseline for establishing what makes for an extra-good weapon like the Battlebabe and Gunlugger get. It also means I can give people an incentive to take a .38 over a magnum or SMG.

Oh okay. I don't know much about Fallen Empires other then the version of the rules Baker posted in the Kickstarter. As for the .38 over the magnum or SMG, you could go with narrative stuff. Like the .38 is going to be easier to hide on yourself. That being said, not all options are equal. 9mm guns have the same stats as .38 but don't have the reload tag. Taking it is more of an aesthetic choice.

Weaverchilde
May 25, 2013
So found this Demigods game over in the Happy Jack APs. Kinda Scions-esque, but not really.

If you sign up for the newsletter you can get the playtest rules

demigodspbta.com

Anyone else going to give this a go?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
So a lot of PBTA games have some variant of sex/intimacy move. What do you guys do when characters have hit a stage where they're just... together? Like, if two people are dating and moved in together, my assumption is they're probably triggering that move on the regular. Would you just say stable relationships aren't in-scope? If they aren't what would you do about timeskips with "these two are together for the three months we're skipping"?

This is a question about any PBTA game that has this kind of move where you assume they're sleeping together but probably aren't tallying up every time, but it's particularly a question about Urban Shadows where the trigger is "moment of intimacy, physical or emotional", which feels like it'd just be going CONSTANTLY in any meaningfully long-term relationship.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

spectralent posted:

So a lot of PBTA games have some variant of sex/intimacy move. What do you guys do when characters have hit a stage where they're just... together? Like, if two people are dating and moved in together, my assumption is they're probably triggering that move on the regular. Would you just say stable relationships aren't in-scope? If they aren't what would you do about timeskips with "these two are together for the three months we're skipping"?

This is a question about any PBTA game that has this kind of move where you assume they're sleeping together but probably aren't tallying up every time, but it's particularly a question about Urban Shadows where the trigger is "moment of intimacy, physical or emotional", which feels like it'd just be going CONSTANTLY in any meaningfully long-term relationship.

I'd default to the standard Apocalypse World advice when it comes to doing any Move; only do it if the consequences are interesting.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

spectralent posted:

Think of it like a TV show, where even people in long established relationships only occasionally have moments that the narrative focuses on those relationships.

Also, like, capital M capital I Moments of Intimacy don't happen constantly even in real life.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'd default to the standard Apocalypse World advice when it comes to doing any Move; only do it if the consequences are interesting.

I'd probably have to dig up a direct quote, but I'm not sure that's the case RAW; the only time what counts as triggering a move is specified that I can remember explicitly mentions you can't do something that's a move without also making a move. It might be on a page I've missed. Certainly it seems sensible to say "this would be the 11th time that Bob's stormed off in his car because he had sex so we'll stop doing that unless something changes in their relationship", but I was hoping to find a neat mechanical interaction I'd missed.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Think of it like a TV show, where even people in long established relationships only occasionally have moments that the narrative focuses on those relationships.

Also, like, capital M capital I Moments of Intimacy don't happen constantly even in real life.

Yeah, this approach makes some sense; describing a three-month time-gap with implicit boning/cuddles isn't really the same thing as saying "and then Kanada and Maria head upstairs giggling" mid-scene. That said I'm not sure moments of intimacy need to happen constantly to be a potential issue; I'd be surprised if there was a long term relationship where there wasn't anything that'd count as a moment of intimacy in a couple of weeks of living together. It seems like the best fix is to append "happens on camera", which I suppose is implicitly the case for most moves.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

spectralent posted:

its a +Hx thing or the equivalent, if there is one

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Role playing sex and make out sessions sounds like one of those things that should happen only between people that are 100% on board with it. How, uh, common is that in AW games? I somehow skipped that part of PbtA...

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You don’t, it fades to black

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It fades to black if and when the table wants it to fade to black.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Subjunctive posted:

It fades to black if and when the table wants it to fade to black.

Yeah, I wouldn't go beyond a fade to black with most groups, but I've played with one group, mostly made up of folks in various poly relationships, who were 100% up for narrating the details of that kind of stuff and it wasn't a big deal.

Horses for courses and all that.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My thought is that the sex/intimacy moves are only interesting when the trigger itself is something new and different. The first time two characters sleep together, absolutely. If it's an on-again, off-again thing, maybe transactional, maybe not, then they could get a lot of move rolls out of it. Once it turns into a long-term every single night thing, no, not so much. It would just become stupid. As spectralent said, having the Driver try to prove that their significant other doesn't own them every single time for three months just becomes a waste of everyone's time. I might give them one last sex move roll for moving in together and then it's just part of the status quo. Of which there is none, right? So that's the next place I'd go looking for a new threat. Who loses because of this new stable partnership? Who wants what they have and thinks they can get it if they break up the happy couple?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Speaking of Urban Shadows, I'm the GM for the game Spectralent is talking about, and I have a couple of questions.

The game will be set in New Orleans, which I fell in love with while researching for a Scion game and is just oozing with atmosphere and potential for drama. Now, it seems to me that the most infamous occultists and voudou practicioners of the city don't seem to possess the trappings usually associated with the Power faction. They aren't usually the powers that be, the ones in charge.

That being said, they are leaders. Depending on the sources, Marie Laveau could have been the head of a coven or other spiritual group. Fred "Chicken Man" Sanders was this fascinating huckster figure who I would almost call a member of Night if he actually preyed on others in any way.

Basically I feel that Power as described in US might need a bit of fixing to work in New Orleans, and I'm not sure how. Any suggestions?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Flavivirus posted:

Hey, so, I've just brought out five new PbtA games based on Legacy.
Godsend and Rhapsody of Blood are completely standalone and the most diverged from Legacy, being respectively a diceless god game and an action-packed totally-not-castlevania cinematic boss fight game.
Primal Pathways, Worldfall and Generation Ship will work best with knowledge of Legacy, as we didn't have room in the book for full examples of play for the moves and they're written assuming you have Legacy to refer to. They're playable with just the PDF and the included handouts sheet if you're determined, though. Pick them up to play Spore-like biopunk fantasy, Alpha Centauri-inspired political science fiction, and resourced-starved survival between the stars in a ship that was never built to support its now-thawed passengers.
I'm really really happy with the artistic and writing team I put together for these. If any of those pitches pique your interest, go take a look!

I now have all of these in my hand and they are all so good!

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Anyone know some hack for Glorantha or Dragon Pass? I'm playing the Six Ages videogame and keep thinking a PbtA hack for this would rock.

I think something in the vein of Sagas of the Icelanders, with Bonds to gods/cults, social expectations like Honor moves, and some simple clan resource management, could be a good start. From there, maybe adopt Legacy generational stuff or similar and it could end up pretty interedting.

I also see the Savvyhead Workshop as a great fit to myths and heroquests.

lessavini fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 7, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

lessavini posted:

Anyone know some hack for Glorantha or Dragon Pass? I'm playing the Six Ages videogame and keep thinking a PbtA hack for this would rock.

I think something in the vein of Sagas of the Icelanders, with Bonds to gods/cults, social expectations like Honor moves, and some simple clan resource management, could be a good start. From there, maybe adopt Legacy generational stuff or similar and it could end up pretty interedting.

Well I don't know of any powered by the apocalypse ones, but 13th age just released their Source book specifically for dragon's path and that's a pretty good game.

Edit: Perhaps not the best place to mention that. So I suppose you could also hacked Fellowship. I thought this was the chat thread at first.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
New Spirit of 77 adventure on Drivethru. Maybe I'll switch my group to some So77 for a breather from fantasy gaming, I've been wanting to do the Renraku Arcology Shutdown from Shadowrun but in a 1977 megamall with the evil AI like Megapute from Afrodisiac.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Speaking of Urban Shadows, I'm the GM for the game Spectralent is talking about, and I have a couple of questions.

The game will be set in New Orleans, which I fell in love with while researching for a Scion game and is just oozing with atmosphere and potential for drama. Now, it seems to me that the most infamous occultists and voudou practicioners of the city don't seem to possess the trappings usually associated with the Power faction. They aren't usually the powers that be, the ones in charge.

That being said, they are leaders. Depending on the sources, Marie Laveau could have been the head of a coven or other spiritual group. Fred "Chicken Man" Sanders was this fascinating huckster figure who I would almost call a member of Night if he actually preyed on others in any way.

Basically I feel that Power as described in US might need a bit of fixing to work in New Orleans, and I'm not sure how. Any suggestions?

One thing I've discovered in playing Urban Shadows is that just leaving the factions as Mortality, Wild, etc. doesn't work very well, so you need to give them some names and flavor yourself.

Not sure what you've thought about as the faction identities for Urban Shadows: NOLA, but I'm of two minds on the factions.
One, the factions could stay largely unchanged, and you emphasize the difference between the Ivory Tower Wizards (Power) and more religious practitioners (Wild, in my opinion). In addition, the Fae reflavored as a mortal who's made bargains with spirits from the other side is quite doable.
Two, if you don't want your Harry Dresdens rubbing elbows with your Marie Laveaus, then you might want more significant changes to the factions. Off the top of my head, I'd run with something like this for my factions:

The Friendly Neighborhood Initiative (Mortality)
• Adapt to the changing circumstances
• Gather in numbers to confront a threat
• Discover information that puts someone in danger
• Remind someone of their mundane obligations

The Bloodmoon Cartel (Night)
• Display an aggressive show of force
• Threaten someone’s interests or holdings
• Claim territory from the weak or foolish
• Make the best of a difficult situation

The Congregation of the Faithful (Power)
• Mystically foreshadow a coming Storm
• Pull something from one realm into another
• Escalate conflict for reasons mysterious or opaque
• Offer power for a promise or a pledge

The Crescent City Consortium (Wild)
• Prioritize the long-term consequences
• Act in opposition to chaos or change
• Snap up resources vulnerable or exposed
• Reveal the diversity of cultures alien and unique

Mortality and Night are largely unchanged (and pretty generic), but Power and Wild would be mixed up. If the spellcasters aren't the 1%, then someone's got to be in the C-suite, and I think putting Demons and Fairies in there makes perfect sense. It makes banks filled with infernal wealth, and. In addition, while Fairies and Demons are traditionally people who hand out power at a price, The Crescent City Consortium has, from their perspective, already won. Why would they hand out power all willy-nilly if they're on top?

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Played Undying in this weekend and it was a blast. It's diceless nature seems to give even more weight to the "ugly choices" that is the engine core. We played in 1890 Paris and next session will be during the World War. Looking forward to the downtime plotting and scheming that will happen at the session begginning. Hehehe

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I have a Masks question, specifically for the Beacon. Their 'No powers and not nearly enough training' keeps tripping me up. Let's say I pick 'martial arts' and 'acrobatics' as my two abilities, take the move and then select 'bow and arrows.' Is it then locked in? There doesn't seem to be any way to swap it out, and it would be kind of a big deal to have three abilities so it's not a big deal if so.

The rest of the move I get, but I'm not sure when it kicks in. Using Mundane for stuff you probably have crappy ratings in is well and good, but is it every fight? Session?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Dawgstar posted:

So I have a Masks question, specifically for the Beacon. Their 'No powers and not nearly enough training' keeps tripping me up. Let's say I pick 'martial arts' and 'acrobatics' as my two abilities, take the move and then select 'bow and arrows.' Is it then locked in? There doesn't seem to be any way to swap it out, and it would be kind of a big deal to have three abilities so it's not a big deal if so.

The rest of the move I get, but I'm not sure when it kicks in. Using Mundane for stuff you probably have crappy ratings in is well and good, but is it every fight? Session?

No, it's not locked in. You swap it out by picking up another piece of gear and writing it in. The move only kicks in the first time you use the new item for Directly Engaging, Unleashing Your Powers, or Defending Someone. After that it doesn't give that benefit anymore so you'll want to get something else.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Yeah, and keep in mind you still have the narrative ability granted by the gear until you trade it out. So if you get a sweet pair of anti-gravity boots, you get the initial label replace the first time you use it, but you can still do sick acrobatics all day.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heliotrope posted:

No, it's not locked in. You swap it out by picking up another piece of gear and writing it in. The move only kicks in the first time you use the new item for Directly Engaging, Unleashing Your Powers, or Defending Someone. After that it doesn't give that benefit anymore so you'll want to get something else.

Thanks. The phrasing really tripped me up, probably because I was thinking about it too hard.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I ran my first Monster of the Week session tonight. Put the hunters up against a Chupacabra and their first encounter was awesome.

Such a fun game.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

lessavini posted:

Someone did DW Glorantha. I haven't dug into it and it's open in tabs at work. I'll dig it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Ran my first night of dungeon world in a long time and after playing a bunch of blades, a lot of it felt super clunky.

Has there been a more "modern" takes on fantasy that have come out lately?