Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
It's hilarious when the cv doesn't realize that you actually have good AA and thinks you're a free kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

It's hilarious when the cv doesn't realize that you actually have good AA and thinks you're a free kill.

Best ship for this is honestly probably Zao (Ibuki can do a passable job), since most non-great CV players generally regard IJN anything as fairly easy targets and won't necessarily be paying as much attention as they should. And while Zao may not be able to get its AA up to the heights of most of its compatriots, DFAA plus even moderate AA-speccing can still get your values up to very nasty levels due to those six Type 98 mounts. And unlike Hindenburg it's not even like you're giving much up in that consumable slot, since Zao's hydro is mediocre at best.

Like, after Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Adrenaline Rush, and Concealment Expert, what skills does the ship even NEED? Tier 3 in particular is just a giant blank on skills the ship really needs - well, Torpedo Armament Expertise probably isn't a bad idea with the new torpedoes. Currently running Demolition Expert, BFT and DFAA on the ship, and don't really feel like I'm missing anything. Might switch one of the 3-pointers over to TAE when I respec though.

Hindenburg can make a good surprise AA ship too but, well, there's a reason CVs aren't expecting great AA there, since you actually are giving up a generally much more useful consumable and skill combos there.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Henri can be pretty good for that too, all its AA is fairly long-ranged so if you build AA (why not?) you're doing full dps out to nearly 6km.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yesterday I fished out my New Mexico for the first time in ages and had a game. I pushed one flank with a König and a couple of cruisers. The König got himself picked off by a Kamikaze who did a great job of harassing us from just out of detection range.

The cruisers and I veered away because I'm not gonna blindly chase after some loving DD I'll never be able to spot until his torpedoes are up my rear end, and went after some enemy battleships and cruisers.

Long story short, after a long battle I was down to ~50% HP and on fire, facing down a tier 7 French battleship, a tier 5 French battleship, some cruiser and the destroyer I knew was coming after me. The tier 5 French BB tried to cross my T a little bit too close, so I rammed him and killed us both.

What followed was a long tirade in chat from the guy where he said he was reporting me for "playing like an idiot" and "trolling" by ramming him to death instead of I guess prolonging my life for 30 more seconds by sitting in brutal crossfire, and urging everyone else to report me as well. According to him I was intentionally griefing him by not going after a more high value "optimal" target.

I gotta ram dudes more often!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Great moment on Izolates steam yesterday where someone said "Report our Shima he's dicking around on B8 like an idiot". The irony was not lost on the stream, although I'm sure the dude didn't realize he was committing a bannable offense on recorded video.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

wdarkk posted:

I had a Graf Zep once try to bomb my full AAA spec Kutuzov. He lost all three flights before they got to bomb me.

So he sent more.

Three waves later, a handful of bombers got through and took my last 2k health as I was fighting a CL and a couple DDs.

He gloated about it in chat and my response was, "But you lost like 54 planes."

:downs: "YEAH BUT I GOT YOU"

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Lord Koth posted:

Best ship for this is honestly probably Zao (Ibuki can do a passable job), since most non-great CV players generally regard IJN anything as fairly easy targets and won't necessarily be paying as much attention as they should. And while Zao may not be able to get its AA up to the heights of most of its compatriots, DFAA plus even moderate AA-speccing can still get your values up to very nasty levels due to those six Type 98 mounts. And unlike Hindenburg it's not even like you're giving much up in that consumable slot, since Zao's hydro is mediocre at best.

Like, after Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Adrenaline Rush, and Concealment Expert, what skills does the ship even NEED? Tier 3 in particular is just a giant blank on skills the ship really needs - well, Torpedo Armament Expertise probably isn't a bad idea with the new torpedoes. Currently running Demolition Expert, BFT and DFAA on the ship, and don't really feel like I'm missing anything. Might switch one of the 3-pointers over to TAE when I respec though.
Thats so true, I ran Vigilance for a while for that exact reason. I've honestly considered running Survivability Expert on it.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

What is annoying is that Zao's HP was originally reduced to compensate for being a stealth firing cruiser. Now that stealth firing is gone, the HP still hasn't returned. :saddowns:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Der Shovel posted:

Yesterday I fished out my New Mexico for the first time in ages and had a game. I pushed one flank with a König and a couple of cruisers. The König got himself picked off by a Kamikaze who did a great job of harassing us from just out of detection range.

The cruisers and I veered away because I'm not gonna blindly chase after some loving DD I'll never be able to spot until his torpedoes are up my rear end, and went after some enemy battleships and cruisers.

Long story short, after a long battle I was down to ~50% HP and on fire, facing down a tier 7 French battleship, a tier 5 French battleship, some cruiser and the destroyer I knew was coming after me. The tier 5 French BB tried to cross my T a little bit too close, so I rammed him and killed us both.

What followed was a long tirade in chat from the guy where he said he was reporting me for "playing like an idiot" and "trolling" by ramming him to death instead of I guess prolonging my life for 30 more seconds by sitting in brutal crossfire, and urging everyone else to report me as well. According to him I was intentionally griefing him by not going after a more high value "optimal" target.

I gotta ram dudes more often!

Always remind them that it takes two to ram.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Preechr posted:

Always remind them that it takes two to ram.

Ramming someone successfully, especially in a slow-arse battleship, is a group effort.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Or in a Bogue.

I've only ever rammed someone once in a Bogue. It's still one of the best games I've ever had, despite being a loss.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Weekend WoWS is so loving bad. I pulled the Cleveland mission from my free American chest, and I've managed to grind 2600 base XP because in most games half of my team just loving dies immediately after seeing the enemy team.

Oh what's that, Indianapolis? You're going to sit perfectly still with your bow to the enemy, shooting at an Atlanta while it and a Belfast and an Iowa chew you to pieces? Oh what's that, all our battleships are still sitting in our loving base? Oh what's that, it's like this every loving game today?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I love when I'm in my mostly stock New York and the entire team goes to A when I spawn close to C and I get focused down by most of the enemy team who went to C simply because I got left behind.

It's always an Emile Bertan peppering me with HE who gets the kill though :argh:

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Der Shovel posted:

Weekend WoWS is so loving bad. I pulled the Cleveland mission from my free American chest, and I've managed to grind 2600 base XP because in most games half of my team just loving dies immediately after seeing the enemy team.

Oh what's that, Indianapolis? You're going to sit perfectly still with your bow to the enemy, shooting at an Atlanta while it and a Belfast and an Iowa chew you to pieces? Oh what's that, all our battleships are still sitting in our loving base? Oh what's that, it's like this every loving game today?

I keep getting teams that all go 1 way on standard battle and act surprised when they're flanked, are too passive to contest a cap, or die too quickly for me to make up for them.

One of the few wins today despite high damage, and even this was a loving struggle.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Weekend player stories? What about Massachusetts after Massachusetts that sits at max range shooting HE because that's a thing.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I won all my games and they were good and fun.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

any match without a cv is ultimately good and fun

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Weekend player stories? What about Massachusetts after Massachusetts that sits at max range shooting HE because that's a thing.

Oh yes we had those as well. I mean it's fun to rack up 200+ secondary hits before I inevitably get murdered because the rest of our flanking force decided to make a 180 and gently caress off to a corner because we saw an enemy, but it'd be more fun to not die and occasionally win.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Redeye Flight posted:

Or in a Bogue.

I've only ever rammed someone once in a Bogue. It's still one of the best games I've ever had, despite being a loss.

I am not saying this because I think it makes me cool, but I once played a match on test server in a Midway (my one and only game in a Tier X CV). Prior to the match I put a full secondary build on the captain, then during the match I didn’t launch a single plane and drove straight into a cap.

The match ended for me, as it probably should have, with me being torped, and when that failed to kill me, rammed by a Gearing.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So, the best tier 9 stats I have right now are in the Ibuki and this monstrosity...what in God's name is going on?

Edit: BOATC is a loving ghost town on clan wars day. Don't make me jump ship! We're still in Squall league, so it's easy money/free xp!

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 8, 2018

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Jesus I know all about the weekend player meme but this weekend seems worse than usual.

Match after match of passive idiots refusing to contest points.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Jesus I know all about the weekend player meme but this weekend seems worse than usual.

Match after match of passive idiots refusing to contest points.

Remember. School is out. And with the 4th in the middle of the week, many people took the other two days off and just enjoying an extended drunken weekend.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Today has been weird as poo poo. Been playing all day divved with goons, and we couldn’t lose if we tried. Constant one-sided stomps by our hypercompetent pubbies. Having difficulty breaking 60k damage most games because of pubbies dissolving before my shots can arrive. I can only remember one game with less than 8 survivors on our team.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

a list of cancerous ships in WOWS

1.) no
2.) ship
3.) is
4.) cancer
5.) it's
6.) all
7.) about
8.) the
9.) player
10.) kutuzov
11.) asashio
12.) cvs

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 8, 2018

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In any normal match, I'd gladly take an Asashio over another loving Kutuzov. Because accurate 19km range plus smoke was always such a great idea. Yeah, it at least has some issues now due to detection bloom while firing from smoke, but a good one is rarely going to be terribly affected. Hell, I'd consider it more cancerous than Belfast, since it actually has torpedoes to discourage pushing into its smoke as well.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

1.) no
2.) ship
3.) is
4.) cancer
5.) it's
6.) all
7.) about
8.) the
9.) player
10.) kutuzov
11.) asashio
12.) cvs

would be fairly accurate if 1-9 were all replaced by kamikaze

e:

vvv this list is better except for the absence of kamikaze

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 8, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

1.) belfast
2.) belfast
3.) belfast
4.) kaga
5.) belfast
6.) belfast
7.) belfast
8.) belfast
9.) black
10.) belfast
11.) belfast
12.) graf
13) saipan
14-infinity) belfast

Preechr posted:

Today has been weird as poo poo. Been playing all day divved with goons, and we couldn’t lose if we tried. Constant one-sided stomps by our hypercompetent pubbies. Having difficulty breaking 60k damage most games because of pubbies dissolving before my shots can arrive. I can only remember one game with less than 8 survivors on our team.

It was great winning every single battle I played today. Wasn't many, but it was enough. Always be div'n.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It was great winning every single battle I played today. Wasn't many, but it was enough. Always be div'n.

That one t9 game where I rushed past a red Massachusetts to try to save the cap, but a hero Mogami’s got it. And then I dunk a fletcher as I pass by. That z-52 could have had solo warrior if it wasn’t for the Mogami and me.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Welp I live like 20 minutes from the docked USS Massachusetts, AND spent a night onboard with scouts when I was younger, AND it’s actually cool and good? I guess I’m out however many dollars it costs

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Kutuzov is still good, but I don't think it's OP any more after the smoke-firing nerf. DDs can easily push into its enormous 7.7km smoke firing window and neuter it. There's also a lot more radar around now.

Outside of its smoke it's basically just a Chapayev with better AA.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Now that we can buy the special upgrades with coal does anyone have a list of which ships get the most benefit from them for general use? My initial thoughts are radar duration is still the most useful, with Soviet CAs getting priority due to the longer range.

There's also some gimmick ships like the Perth and Haidia who can use smoke/hydro/spotting plane, but they are pretty niche.

French BBs and CLs enjoy a speed boost, but I have no idea how to weigh that again longer radars.

What other ships cry our for special modules? Is it worth using hydro duration one germans etc?

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
Radar on Moskva, Des Moines, Worcester.

Speed boost on Khaba and Henri.

Smoke and hydro on Haida.

Spotter plane on Perth (but... why would you use coal for this of all things).

Hydro duration is actually bad for German DDs because it will take your hydro out of sync with your smokes.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Nah, I have spotter from super containers. And like four damage control mods... :sigh:

They should let you sell special modules for coal IMO.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Spotter plane on Des Moines :v:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 8, 2018

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I ain't no Yuro :(

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Looks like Wargaming made meme generators:

https://imgflip.com/memegenerator/143642861/World-of-Warships---Potato-Thoughts
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator/143573844/World-of-Warships---Ens-Tate-R-Smith-Spooped
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator/143573760/World-of-Warships---Captain-McGraw-Angry
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator/143573357/World-of-Warships---Monaghan

There is only one meme spicy enough to slap a :wg: label on it:

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 8, 2018

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Hell, :same:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Spotter plane on Des Moines :v:

This actually works better than the radar does for solo'ing. When I don't have the radar I'm less likely to push into very aggressive positions where I will hella die, and the planes are nice for spotting torpedoes, seeing over cover for longer, and helping you to shoot over poo poo.

I like the plane Des Moines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

finally got around to unlocking my first T10 - conqueror :getin: