Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which contradicts no part of what I said

It demonstrates Hori clearly has no problems taking outside ideas and throwing it in the main story. He also put in the Quirk-boosting drug from Vigilantes.

I wouldn't be surprised to see movie characters get more than a passing nod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Oh gently caress don't do this to me the Gohan's father/son kamehameha against Cell is one of my favorite DBZ moments

late, but I'll just leave this for you: Double Detroit Smash

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

cool, thanks, i'd have liked to find that out myself but sure

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Terper posted:

cool, thanks, i'd have liked to find that out myself but sure

How soon you forget that they have 4 arms between them, smh

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

just a bunch of stuff about a thing we can't even watch yet

hey cool

stop

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
posting anime spoilers in the manga thread

excellent

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mountaineer posted:

posting anime spoilers in the manga thread

excellent
It's a movie-original plot that none of us outside Japan can watch yet outside of :filez: , smartass.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

PMush Perfect posted:

It's a movie-original plot that none of us outside Japan can watch yet outside of :filez: , smartass.

That's the joke? It's ironic that there is anime-original content being spoiled in the manga thread, when usually it's manga spoilers being posted in the anime thread.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Filler spoilers at that. It's great.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
We can't officially see it until fall and it's a canonfiller movie so I'm not too hot and bothered about it being spoiled.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was re-reading some old chapters and in chapter 11 All Might was talking about people who knew about his Quirk and I was wondering if that "old friend" was Gran Torino or Nighteye or hell maybe a third person.

It's Tsukauchi. He even later says he forgot about Gran Torino.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
They released a trailer for the second half of season 3 and you can hear a bit of the new OP in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMCeFIPwrHE

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

been rereading the manga from after the latest episode of the anime, and the beginning of the overhaul/internship stuff is really good. I feel like the actual week to week reading of the raid soured my memories of the earlier parts of the arc because it's a lot better than I remember

haven't actually got to the raid itself yet but maybe it's better when you read it all at once. at the very least this leaves me hopeful that the anime will have a good chance to handle overhaul better

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I got around to watching last week's episode of the anime and it's kinda surprising how minor a character Tsuyu still is with how popular she is among the secondaries. The scene with her apologizing to the class is like the last thing she's done in the entire series yet.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

haven't actually got to the raid itself yet but maybe it's better when you read it all at once. at the very least this leaves me hopeful that the anime will have a good chance to handle overhaul better

I read all of the arc in a single shot and to my recollection it got confusing but not overly so and I didn't have many real problems with it, so I'm inclined to say yes.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I got around to watching last week's episode of the anime and it's kinda surprising how minor a character Tsuyu still is with how popular she is among the secondaries. The scene with her apologizing to the class is like the last thing she's done in the entire series yet.

Hey now, she was there for the Overhaul raid. I mean, she didn't actually do anything, but she was there!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhonne posted:

Hey now, she was there for the Overhaul raid. I mean, she didn't actually do anything, but she was there!

She broke a hole in the ceiling along with Uraraka so that Deku could actually save the day. That's something, sort of.

Yeah, though, Tsuyu's popularity is probably a mix of her design (those drawings of her in various action poses and stuff by Horikoshi were the first thing of the series I saw and got me to investigate it, since they were neat and her blank expression was a sort of weird-cute) and good early moments, and she's mostly kept that popularity despite the manga never really focusing on her again after that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

she gets to retain popularity because the anime has been going through the stuff where she's still relevant

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

symbolic posted:

I read all of the arc in a single shot and to my recollection it got confusing but not overly so and I didn't have many real problems with it, so I'm inclined to say yes.

Yeah. I only got to it when it was all there for one burst, and it struck me as a pretty solid arc overall. I suspect that it was the week-to-week that made it such rough going.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The two week flashback about a character who was not particularly central to the matter at hand that brokered no new information also did not help.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also Horikoshi was sick like 3-4 times during the arc.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

The two week flashback about a character who was not particularly central to the matter at hand that brokered no new information also did not help.

Counterpoint: Tamaki is a bro.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i dont think the overhaul arc was bad but it went on a long time relative to what actually happened for the overall plot. like after the course of the arc here's the lasting consequences:

mirio got introduced/depowered
eri was introduced
LOV gets quirk destroying bullets

which doesn't seem like that much proportionate to how much time was spent on it.

also with the gentle arc, while i really like gentle and la brava and their fight, it doesn't really seem like it did anything for the overall plot either. i still enjoy the week to week but previously it felt like each arc built on the last and contributed to a larger conflict/growth of the main cast, as opposed to now when it doesn't feel as focused.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the gentle arc was important for showing deku's progress - it's his first completely solo outing as a hero where he manages not to damage himself with OfA at all

the stakes were higher than immediately apparent, too, if gentle's plan had worked it probably would've been the last nail in the coffin of public opinion for UA (at least going by the kind of ridiculous way public opinion has been working in MHA)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think gentle and la brava will be important later too. it was a small breather arc that capped off the overhaul stuff in a good way

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

she gets to retain popularity because the anime has been going through the stuff where she's still relevant

The anime also gave her a whole episode just to her.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

My favorite part was the fact that the flashback overshadowed the super-move, and then they slap you with another flashback on top of that

It's hysterical and I can't wait to see what they do with that in the anime

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

When was that again?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I just read the manga just now, and I felt that while the Overhaul arc was alright, the Overhaul fight was awful. It was both really really long, kind of hard to visually parse because of Overhaul's power, and fundamentally not that interesting anyway. I started zoning out and just waiting for it to end, which is not a good sign.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Mirio part of the Overhaul fight is good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Re-reading it as a whole I liked the Overhaul arc a fair amount. It had some pacing issues with flashbacks layered on flashbacks but overall I think if you just juggled some stuff around it'd be fine.

Nighteye I never liked but he died, so oh well.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Clarste posted:

I just read the manga just now, and I felt that while the Overhaul arc was alright, the Overhaul fight was awful. It was both really really long, kind of hard to visually parse because of Overhaul's power, and fundamentally not that interesting anyway. I started zoning out and just waiting for it to end, which is not a good sign.

Yeah but now imagine Yutaka Nakamura getting to animate a fight where the villain actually turns things into cubes that fly away

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I bet the Overhaul fight is going to look a lot better animated.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

legit really curious about what super saiyan deku at the end of the overhaul fight is gonna look like animated

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The Mirio part of the Overhaul fight is good.

I'm at that part right now and it's true. also phantom menace is a great attack name

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the anime improves upon the manga almost every single time, it's gonna be rad probably

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
One thing working to the anime's benefit is that Overhaul's power is basically lifted from Fullmetal Alchemist and Bones already knocked that one out of the park.

They just need to trim everything up a bit and it should honestly play out fine.

Im genuinely excited to see Mirio's fights animated and also Unbreakable Red Riot. If they can make the finale with 100% Deku easier to follow it should also own

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
A lot of the stuff that feels like it took forever will be over quickly when animated. To be honest, thinking of the entire raid arc animated makes me think it'll be good as hell when adapted if they keep it real punchy and quick.

It doesn't solve the problem I think people will have with it in that it doesn't develop Deku personally- the arc IMO is meant as 1. Shigaraki's development as more of a mastermind/leader and 2. providing the quirk-killer bullets as a future complication but Shigraki isn't the MC and while his actions set up his ultimate victory pretty well he isn't present for most of the action until the very end. If you take that out of account, the Yakuza Arc is literally the kind of poo poo you'd see as a filler movie for a battle shounen.

It has all the elements:
-New character connected to the main cast that no one ever spoke about before and probably never will again (Nighteye)
-Token little girl who is the most important character
-Oneshot mook squad who get cleaned up almost entirely by ancillary characters
-Bigbad with a top tier power that gets defeated with a special move that isn't/can't be used again in the main series

If we get a season 4, I hope they save Nakamura or the other well-known key animators for the car chase believe it or not. If they put good staff on it and basically start with the idea of making it look like a Marvel-movie sequence it'll be the highlight of the season even over 100% Full Cowl, Phantom Menace, FatGum, etc. It's a really good action setpiece and not like anything done in the series before.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 8, 2018

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
...Wow, you're right. It was an anime movie arc, in manga format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, the VA, particularly Shigaraki's badass moments at the end but Twice and Toga as well, are the real highlights of the Yakuza arc overall, or at least some of the biggest ones. Not sure how that'll play out, though I agree that I want to see them go all-out on the car chase and ensuing battle. That'd make for a heck of a season finale.