Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Movie 43 did something similar iirc, except with comedy instead of a documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Star Man posted:

Meanwhile, Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson had no problems spewing Ann Druyan's islamophobia on television.

wait what? I knew she was a weirdo 'ancient astronauts' freak but when'd she go racist

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

sexpig by night posted:

wait what? I knew she was a weirdo 'ancient astronauts' freak but when'd she go racist

Ancient astronauts poo poo is racist already.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So this week Michael Savage said that there is literally no hunger in America, and while I get that he says routinely outrageous poo poo to get paid, it's still incredible to me that these people have an audience.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

StealthArcher posted:

Close, it's where your immune system sees itself as a threat and as a result is all kinds of hosed up.

So his obsession with seeing all sorts of largely harmless things as extremely dangerous existential threats to society could be an unconscious projection of his own internal struggle against his malfunctioning immune system?

Have I just armchair-psychologisted Jordan Peterson?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

This is the movie that they've been trying to hoodwink actors into being a part of by not giving them any details on what the project is and just filming stuff without context to try and keep people in the dark, right? Like how Kate Mulgrew got snookered into "narrating" a Flat Earth documentary by recording a bunch of seemingly random and disconnected lines that were then edited together to make it seem like she really was saying all the stuff they wanted her to say but knew she'd walk out of the recording booth if they actually put those lines in front of her.

God, I bet these people are cheering on the evolution of Deep Fake tech like crazy. Soon they won't even need to pay actors to deceptively put words in their mouths, they can do it all on a computer.

Yeah, but the difference here is that they would be cast for roles that they would be pretty much ideologically on the same side of. I don't think there would be any surprises aside from say, bumping into someone they didn't want to be associated with (as mentioned earlier, like Milo).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pope Guilty posted:

Ancient astronauts poo poo is racist already.

that is true, just never heard her go OVERT racist rather than the weird 'well obviously those savages couldn't REALLY do this' racist.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Wait, is ancient astronauts stuff "Egyptians didn't really build the pyramids" or "Egyptians built the pyramids as landing beacons for alien spaceships :pseudo:"?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

Wait, is ancient astronauts stuff "Egyptians didn't really build the pyramids" or "Egyptians built the pyramids as landing beacons for alien spaceships :pseudo:"?

It's everything cool that ancient civilizations did (not including the greeks) was due to aliens telling them how to do it.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

It's everything cool that ancient civilizations did (not including the greeks) was due to aliens telling them how to do it.

Because black and brown people can't build things apparently

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

That sucks, I always thought ancient astronauts people just thought all humans were descended from alien tourists or crash survivors. Which is still pretty dumb, but harmless.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Koalas March posted:

And even if they can build cool things in the past the current inhabitants are clearly not worthy of them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Pookah posted:

So his obsession with seeing all sorts of largely harmless things as extremely dangerous existential threats to society could be an unconscious projection of his own internal struggle against his malfunctioning immune system?

No, it's just proof that he's deluded and toxic even down to the cellular level.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
A lot of the focus of ancient astronaut theories was always around Stonehenge, vitirified forts, European cave paintings, and accounts by the same Biblical people white people love to assume were as white as them. It was always very equal opportunity that way. If you want a window into the racism of alien theorists, it's more how the advanced and refined aliens people claimed to encounter, especially before Greys became the dominant meme, were all incredibly white humanlike ones.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The continued existence of Stonehenge is racism, knock it down

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Woodhenge is better than Stonehenge anyway.

Stonehenge isn't even a real henge.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 7, 2018

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Pants Donkey posted:

So this week Michael Savage said that there is literally no hunger in America, and while I get that he says routinely outrageous poo poo to get paid, it's still incredible to me that these people have an audience.

Eh, it's part of the cycle that the right wing media has been running for decades now. Is one of Our Guys in power? Well, everything's great! Racism is over, everyone's getting employed, the Dow is soaring and the economy's humming. Now, we still have some problems with, y'know, those people, but besides that, everything in America is fantastic! Stop complaining, libs! There's nothing to complain about!

Then, as soon as a Democrat wins anything, do a complete 180 and say that everything sucks, and it has sucked forever, and it's all the Democrats' fault and we need to vote them out if we want to Make America etc etc

Admittedly, this is a really easy trick that all sides of the political spectrum are guilty of, but right wing media is just going nuts with it in recent years. It's no longer simply sweeping problems under the rug and never mentioning them if you can't help it, it's now active claims that absolutely nothing is wrong, and if you say there are, you're a regressive soyboy.

Crunch Buttsteak fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 7, 2018

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Koalas March posted:

White people either. Ancient Astronauts "theorists" have gone to ascribing alien intervention in literally any and all structure that has survived to modern day (including ones built in modern times, like the coral castle). I think the TV show has made them run out of things to say and to get nine seasons and a spin off you gotta go to everyone for material.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pants Donkey posted:

I'm sure the next segment was about how he and Teddy has to walk around a homeless guy on his way to a restaurant.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Ancient alien poo poo goes back to like the 1700-1800s in the United States when a bunch of farmers found a bunch if gently caress off huge mounds and went “Angels/Giants/the lost tribes did it”

It was literally just a large pile of compacted dirt dudes, sometimes in a shape of an animal. Not that difficult.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 7, 2018

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
There's probably a good chunk of overlap between White Supremacist Horseshit and Ancient Aliens Horseshit, but it's not a venn diagram that's become a circle.

Ancient Alien Horseshit is mostly people trying to feel smart out of their stupidity that they can't realize people are clever and can do poo poo they can't easily comprehend of. Possibly trying to feel smart out of things that are 'unexplained'.

Like, we got a good idea how the pyramids were built. Multiple coherent theories, but because we don't have the Pharaoh's archival footage and photographs of the construction, historians/science/etc. refuse to just go and say 'yeah this is how they did it'. So people butt in with 'yeah but maybe ALIENS', and because the nature of truth, people can't offer a firm definitive explanation, people latch onto it because it makes them feel smarter than those historians, because the alternative is sort of confusing: that technology, something they probably already struggle to understand, isn't linear and people figured out how to do things, then forgot how to do those things because they figured out something better.

See also: 'Evolution is just a theory' :smug:.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

White people either. Ancient Astronauts "theorists" have gone to ascribing alien intervention in literally any and all structure that has survived to modern day (including ones built in modern times, like the coral castle). I think the TV show has made them run out of things to say and to get nine seasons and a spin off you gotta go to everyone for material.

Can't wait for the ancient aliens episode on the empire state building.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I've never heard of Ancient Astronauts. Is that a new History Channel series?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It Would Be a ‘Big Mistake’ to Push for Overturning Roe v. Wade, Says Woman Who Starred In Anti-Abortion Movie.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

And her supporters are now freaking out calling her a RINO now.

I expect she will reverse and retract that within 24 hours.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

A lot of it is "well, nobody bothered to write down how they built this thing so it must have been aliens because we can't figure it out!" Sometimes they'll even make mathematical assumptions, crunch some numbers, and go "see? Literally impossible without power tolls! Possibly even impossible with them. Must have been aliens." Meanwhile they ignore that people are actually pretty clever and can pull off crazy poo poo when we have a lot of people with time on their hands.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Can't wait for the ancient aliens episode on the empire state building.

No one knows who built Big Ben. Pre-Roman druids? The Templars? Or could have been something... out of this world?

Find out tonight on the History Channel.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
They have recently gone into how the internet was just such a great idea, it must have been put there by an alien. But 9/10 they will fixate on non-white culture and what a surprize, the ancient aliens were who taught the arabics the concept of zero. Because they couldn't possibly come up with it themselves.

It is the atheist Baby Boomer equivalent of ascribing everything to God. And that's the viewership according to how much my dad sadly lives for this show every Friday. It is attributing anything mankind has ever done as the influence and direction of a higher power - I mean, an ancient extraterrestrial "PLAN" that is culminating as I type. And if you don't believe them, then clearly you should just go to the site yourself and open your mind to our faith! Or its just a SHOW CRABTREE, WHY CAN'T I HAVE FUN?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

happyhippy posted:

And her supporters are now freaking out calling her a RINO now.

I expect she will reverse and retract that within 24 hours.
She got fired from the Blaze last year for the exact same thing and sued them for wrongful termination, anyone that books her or supports her and is surprised by this is a loving moron. I really doubt she's gonna retract.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 8, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh, she might. She's at Fox News now so she might think its worth holding onto that spot if it becomes a problem in a way The Blaze clearly wasn't worth it.

But I don't actually think the Right in 2018 gives a poo poo for more than a minute and she'll be fine.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Oh no generic fanservice blond #95253.....35667↑↑↑↑↑47544 where will Fox get another one.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Eh, she might. She's at Fox News now so she might think its worth holding onto that spot if it becomes a problem in a way The Blaze clearly wasn't worth it.

But I don't actually think the Right in 2018 gives a poo poo for more than a minute and she'll be fine.

Is she actually on Fox News? That poo poo is on 24/7 on the TVs where I work and I don't see her during the usual daytime stuff. Does she have some non prime time gig or recurring guest spot?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So here's something weird and interesting and sad from RWM World that people seem to have missed over the midweek holiday:

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1014549876405727233

Ben Shapiro outted his helicopter dad as the man behind an anime and video game obsessed sockpuppet account that was purpose-built to cheer him on and singal boost Ben's message to the Fellow Kids.

God, Ben's gonna have one HELL of an existential crisis after his dad finally pops off and he realizes he'll never be under the old man's thumb again for the rest of his life...

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

nine-gear crow posted:

So here's something weird and interesting and sad from RWM World that people seem to have missed over the midweek holiday:

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1014549876405727233

Ben Shapiro outted his helicopter dad as the man behind an anime and video game obsessed sockpuppet account that was purpose-built to cheer him on and singal boost Ben's message to the Fellow Kids.

God, Ben's gonna have one HELL of an existential crisis after his dad finally pops off and he realizes he'll never be under the old man's thumb again for the rest of his life...

Isn't it a Bernard media joke.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

Isn't it a Bernard media joke.

Well, if it is just a joke then I applaud Ben for at least having a sense of humour about it, in addition to his insatiable lust for Arab genocide.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zwabu posted:

Is she actually on Fox News? That poo poo is on 24/7 on the TVs where I work and I don't see her during the usual daytime stuff. Does she have some non prime time gig or recurring guest spot?

I've thankfully shook my tendency to turn them on most of the time so I'm not 100% but I believe she's a regular correspondent and does some online stuff for them. Its not a featured role but its a starting spot for what her obvious career ambitions are. So I think iff there's actual pressure on her she'd want to preserve that more than she cared about staying on Glenn Beck's sinking ship.

But again, I don't really expect anyone on the right to care. That would imply they have actual values and they've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt the last few years they don't. She'll tell people someone cursed at her in a restaurant and they'll spend another week telling us how the left is ready to kill Trump supporters in the streets.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mr Interweb posted:

I've never heard of Ancient Astronauts. Is that a new History Channel series?

The TV show is called Ancient Aliens. Ancient Astronaut Theorists is the psudo-scientific name believes in ancient aliens give themselves. An Ancient astronaut is an alien in ancient times (usually a god) because they're often depicted in headdresses or other exotic "suits". Because those are their spacesuits, you see, when they were building the step pyramids to launch their space craft to go back home!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the neontaster thing has gotta be a joke cuz he tweets more like a politically moronic 20-30 something than an old dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇
People are trying to collapse 50+ year of things into one coherent movement is issue. Base of the ancient astronaut in culture is late 60s books by Swiss travel agent Erich Von Daniken. He wrote Chariots of the Gods and other books at the time, which took grab bag of sites around world and arts, claim they looked similar to astronauts of the time. Basic theory he pushed was of ancient people gods being explorers like our own astronaut and cosmonaut, coming from societies similar to 1970 Earth or maybe a little more advanced. This to explain both why they would use thing that look like cumbersome contemporary spaceship and suit, but also avoid having to think too hard about why such alien would do that. Convenient thing and reason why he wrote such books? His tourism business had been struggling, and many of the places he highlighted, you could book trips to from him!

Key aspect of the book concept is that all of the stuff these travelers did had normal scientific backing, so even though ancient people think they Gods with magic, it was just technology. Also among the early books in series was advocation that humans should return favor by going to other planet and giving technology and wonders to primitive alien, somewhat nice to do I think.

Current day ancient alien people on the other, they tend to think heavily of supernatural. Often there is a denial that these aliens inspired gods-belief in humans. Instead of believing they arrived in normal spacecraft there will be claims they teleport in, or could travel in space without ships. Basic, it buys into the gradual change of alien belief from "these are normal creatures that can be measured if real" to the spiritualish "they are interdimensional spirit beings with magic power". Is whole story on its own that alien belief community often now worships them as spirtiual being directly, but ancient aliens believers today much likely to buy into that. Meanwhile self describe ancient astronaut believer likely to avow the traditional non-spirit belief.

Side note is that von Daniken never cared much for fact so much as selling a vacation ticket. It is widely known that stuff was plagiarized greedily from previous books, some fictional. Additional his first couple books in original German had heavy editing and coauthor from author who had written much for racist Nazi magazine and newspaper during Hitler's reign, which is certain a concern!