Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

A bit of a design flaw on the Bosch mitre saw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That really is stupid as gently caress.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jaded Burnout posted:

A bit of a design flaw on the Bosch mitre saw

You dont need to use that clamp to cut through a 2x2, just hold it against the rail well clear from the blade with your off hand. Doesn't that post rotate out? Or switch the post to the other side so it doesnt hit the housing? Lol that is funny though

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

You dont need to use that clamp to cut through a 2x2, just hold it against the rail well clear from the blade with your off hand. Doesn't that post rotate out? Or switch the post to the other side so it doesnt hit the housing? Lol that is funny though

I prefer to control the blade with my right hand and the offcut to the right is long enough that I want the clamp to hold it after the cut. I cut it left-handed this time.

You're right, it could rotate when the support wings are extended and it has something to push against, that's probably the better move.

It's more of an issue on the good wood where I need it well-clamped than this stuff.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I want a cheap bandsaw that can cut up to a 4x4. Most 9” models can handle that, right? Any specific brand on amazon or Home Depot/Lowe’s that you guys like?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Modified tools!

Slot side is stock, I chucked the Phillips in a drill and went to town on it with a bench grinder to take apart a bit of electronics with deep screw wells.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Doesn't that post rotate out?

Much better

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
:D

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Gas powered string trimmers: is Stihl still king of the mountain? They're what I see hanging on every landscape trailer.

I've got a 4 cycle cub cadet that is kind of a POS since birth (this is my 4th summer with it) and I'm looking to upgrade.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

stealie72 posted:

Gas powered string trimmers: is Stihl still king of the mountain? They're what I see hanging on every landscape trailer.

I've got a 4 cycle cub cadet that is kind of a POS since birth (this is my 4th summer with it) and I'm looking to upgrade.

I've had a Stihl for 3 years at least that I use about every other week. I have never gotten it serviced and it about always starts on the third yank. I always use no-ethanol gas, but have never done any maintenance on it at all. It's a neat model where you can put an edger or a blower on the end, and those attachments work great and keep you from having to keep up with more finicky two cycle engines. They're not cheap though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of trimmers, my battery-powered one just died (a whole shitload of grass clogged up the motor and it burnt out.)

I'm looking for a replacement, but I have a question:
Is it just me, or are the shafts on cordless trimmers always short? I've never had an issue with gas or some plug-in ones, but every cordless one I've used has such a short shaft that I've had to hunch over awkwardly to use. I prefer ease of use of the cordless, and I have a small lawn so I've never had an issue with battery charge running out, but if I can't find one with a long enough shaft I'll switch to gas or corded for the sake of my back.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 10, 2018

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think a lot of the shaft length on gas trimmers is just there for balance, so the trimmer head can be far enough out to balance the heavy motor. With battery units, that’s less of a problem.

That being said, I have the cordless husqvarna with the telescoping shaft and it seems to get comfortably long, but I’m only 5’10”.

Super happy with that trimmer, btw. I used to be a gas purist but I got this for my wife because it’s lighter and quieter and less smelly and easier to operate and well, now I’m done with gas trimmers.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As a tall person, trimmers are all too goddamn short. :argh: I tried a "telescoping" one once that could go from like 30" long to 36" long. These days I just try to use mine one-handed with the shaft resting on one of my legs to provide some balance and support, because the alternative is lousy for my back.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

As a short guy you can have the 4" off mine I'm not using :flaccid:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As a tall person, trimmers are all too goddamn short. :argh: I tried a "telescoping" one once that could go from like 30" long to 36" long. These days I just try to use mine one-handed with the shaft resting on one of my legs to provide some balance and support, because the alternative is lousy for my back.

I have a stretchy guitar strap that is exactly useless for a guitar and exactly perfect for a trimmer held waist-high, or lower for a tall like yourself.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

I have a stretchy guitar strap that is exactly useless for a guitar and exactly perfect for a trimmer held waist-high, or lower for a tall like yourself.

That sounds like an excellent idea; thank you for the recommendation. I have some tiedown straps that I'm not using for anything; I bet I can rig one into a support strap.

BeerEngineer
Apr 22, 2006
The shaft on my DeWalt 40v string trimmer is a nice length. It weighs about 15 pounds with a battery, though.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I have a 25 year old Craftsman string trimmer that's really an MTD. It's a bitch and I hate it. It's got new gas, filter, lines, plug and seal kit on the carb that I lovingly took apart and cleaned. It's still a pain in the rear end to start and does not like to run at anything higher than half choke even when it's warmed up. My filter is too clean :lol:

I'd get something else if I wasn't so goddamn stubborn.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

kid sinister posted:

I have a 25 year old Craftsman string trimmer that's really an MTD. It's a bitch and I hate it. It's got new gas, filter, lines, plug and seal kit on the carb that I lovingly took apart and cleaned. It's still a pain in the rear end to start and does not like to run at anything higher than half choke even when it's warmed up. My filter is too clean :lol:

I'd get something else if I wasn't so goddamn stubborn.

I have this problem with my ~3ish year old Ryobi 2 stroke trimmer. It's never worked right since I bought it, but I'm lazy and never used it a whole lot the first year, and I've had a company cut my yard the last 2 years so it hasn't been a huge issue. But there are some things I want to trim up every once in awhile, and it just blows. It seems to run decently at half choke, but sometimes it'll bog down at full choke so badly it almost stalls. This last weekend it actually decided to kick in about half way into using it, and it was fantastic to use it during that time, and tried my damnedest to not need to shut it off, otherwise the next time it starts it'll be back to lovely.

I only paid $100 for the thing, so I shouldn't be so attached to it, but... stubborn.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

About the only way to keep 2-smoke engines from becoming temperamental assholes is to use that $30/gallon premixed 2-stroke gas they sell at Home Depot. That stupid corn gasoline scam really is the gift that keeps giving.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I've found the Husqvarna battery line to be adequate. Even the cheaper "occasional-use" homeowner one.

https://www.husqvarna.com/ca-en/products/trimmers/115il/967098702/

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

B-Nasty posted:

About the only way to keep 2-smoke engines from becoming temperamental assholes is to use that $30/gallon premixed 2-stroke gas they sell at Home Depot. That stupid corn gasoline scam really is the gift that keeps giving.

Ethanol free gas works just as well, and is a lot cheaper. If you can get it in your area...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Ethanol free gas works just as well, and is a lot cheaper. If you can get it in your area...

That's the problem for at least some of us. The only E0 I can get is race fuel which is nearly as expensive and even more of a pain to deal with.

I'm never going back to two stroke. I'm slightly surprised nobody has made a fuckoff huge battery arrangement for a lipo powered pressure washer.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The premixed stuff does have a much longer shelf life, for what it’s worth. That’s a plus if you’re in a once-in-a-while scenario.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wonder how well a little two‐stroke engine would run on white gas/shellite.

Octane rating: circa 50

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm never going back to two stroke. I'm slightly surprised nobody has made a fuckoff huge battery arrangement for a lipo powered pressure washer.

Most pressure washers are 4-strokes at this point, aren't they?

Every Briggs 4-stroke I've used I've abused the poo poo out of with old gas, old plug, dirty filters, and infrequent oil changes. Still, they start on the first or second pull.

Meanwhile, I think my shoulder still aches from trying to start a 2-S weedwacker a few years ago/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's the problem for at least some of us. The only E0 I can get is race fuel which is nearly as expensive and even more of a pain to deal with.

Ryobi has a 36V one.

But even a 240V electric washer isn't very powerful at all so I can't see it being useful for anything other than cleaning the car.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I loved our Weed Eater brand 2stroke from the 80s. That thing lasted until 2000ish and was so much faster/cleaner cutting than electrics I use today. Winding it was a pain in the rear end though.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

https://www.pure-gas.org/

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Never knew how lucky we were in WI, pretty much every gas station around carries it on premium.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

B-Nasty posted:

Most pressure washers are 4-strokes at this point, aren't they?

Every Briggs 4-stroke I've used I've abused the poo poo out of with old gas, old plug, dirty filters, and infrequent oil changes. Still, they start on the first or second pull.

Meanwhile, I think my shoulder still aches from trying to start a 2-S weedwacker a few years ago/

Yeah, the one I bought is a "Yamaha" four stroke. Only two-strokes I've ever owned are weedwhackers and now I have a way-overkill M18 Milwaukee.

The four stroke Briggs on my mower fires up easy enough as long as the gas in it is fresh. The tank doesn't seal for poo poo so whatever gas is in it goes bad quick. The Yamaha's only problem is that it seems to be much higher compression than any other four stroke I've had. If I use the pull start instead of the electric, it takes a *hard* pull to get it to spin.

I just don't see why big electric pressure washers don't exist. A 190cc engine is good for what, 5hp / a bit under 4kW? Is a 4kW electric motor way bigger than I want to admit? I'd love it just for having it quiet the gently caress down when I'm not actually spraying.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Ryobi has a 36V one.

But even a 240V electric washer isn't very powerful at all so I can't see it being useful for anything other than cleaning the car.

What's your metric here because I can buy a beast of a 240v pressure washer and I can't think what a normal home owner would ever need a bigger one for.

I mean I've only ever bought a £40 240v one and cleaned patios, guttering, cars etc with it but the £600 option is there if I want it.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Platystemon posted:

I wonder how well a little two‐stroke engine would run on white gas/shellite.

Octane rating: circa 50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2ii481Iez8

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

~Coxy posted:

You haven't used a proper 240v pressure washer.

The one we have at the fire house is WAY more powerful and produces a lot more volume than my gas one.

And it has a diesel fuel heater on it so you can run steam.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

The premixed stuff does have a much longer shelf life, for what it’s worth. That’s a plus if you’re in a once-in-a-while scenario.

I dunno, my two stroke string trimmer was running pretty good on 2 year old non-ethanol recently. Granted, I put marine Sta-Bil in all my small engine gas at the "long term storage" level.

MrEnigma posted:

Never knew how lucky we were in WI, pretty much every gas station around carries it on premium.

Being on the coast where there is a lot of boating going on means that there's no shortage of non-ethanol around here, in both regular and premium octanes.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Being on the coast where there is a lot of boating going on means that there's no shortage of non-ethanol around here, in both regular and premium octanes.

In farm country, too. Lots of old equipment (or new equipment built to non-ethanol specs, I think?, because that's normal), people would flip their poo poo if they dropped non-ethanol. In the city, enough places only offer ethanol-added, but once you get 5 minutes out of town, every station will have the option.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

cakesmith handyman posted:

What's your metric here because I can buy a beast of a 240v pressure washer and I can't think what a normal home owner would ever need a bigger one for.

I mean I've only ever bought a £40 240v one and cleaned patios, guttering, cars etc with it but the £600 option is there if I want it.

Cleaning patio bricks is my main use for pressure washing. Obviously you can turn the household electric one to 0 degrees and clean anything with enough time...

Motronic posted:

You haven't used a proper 240v pressure washer.

The one we have at the fire house is WAY more powerful and produces a lot more volume than my gas one.

And it has a diesel fuel heater on it so you can run steam.

Sure, I haven't. But we're talking about home use.
A theoretical max electric 240V 10A pressure washer is 2.4 kW.
Most I see are more like 1600-1800W.
A cheap low end 3.5 HP gas washer is more powerful.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Cleaning patio bricks is my main use for pressure washing. Obviously you can turn the household electric one to 0 degrees and clean anything with enough time...

Sure, I haven't. But we're talking about home use.
A theoretical max electric 240V 10A pressure washer is 2.4 kW.
Most I see are more like 1600-1800W.
A cheap low end 3.5 HP gas washer is more powerful.

A karcher K2 (i got mine on clearance ) runs 1400w, 110 bar /360 l/hr and I never found it lacking. My neighbor has a k7 which runs 2800w 180 bar / 600l/hr, you can strip paint with it, remove block paving, dig a trench in your clay-soil lawn etc.

That's a home use washer and the only reason you'd need to step up to diesel or petrol is if you need an insane flow rate or couldn't be near a plug.

In short, 240v pressure washers are very capable machines.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

cakesmith handyman posted:

A karcher K2 (i got mine on clearance ) runs 1400w, 110 bar /360 l/hr and I never found it lacking. My neighbor has a k7 which runs 2800w 180 bar / 600l/hr, you can strip paint with it, remove block paving, dig a trench in your clay-soil lawn etc.

That's a home use washer and the only reason you'd need to step up to diesel or petrol is if you need an insane flow rate or couldn't be near a plug.

In short, 240v pressure washers are very capable machines.

Most of the 240v washers are like 15 amp or more, you can get a 2200 PSI/2.5 GPM washer that runs 15 amp at 240 or so, which is respectable as hell. If you wanted to go full blast, you can get a 3500 PSI/3 GPM model that sucks down 35 amps.

Also, a lot of the professional-ish electrics come with 20-50 ft of pressure hose, couple that with an extension cord and you can be 100+ feet from the outlet and still carve your name into whatever you fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That's 151 bar at 15 amps, the K7 only slightly beats that on a 13A plug.

And I found the K7 available for less than £400, which is very tempting after the motor ate itself on the cheap one.

But who am I kidding, I'll probably buy another £40 jobbie, maybe from Aldi this time.