Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
the one where sara lynn dies really gets me in the feels :(

also once you pick up on it, the repeated theme of sara lynn wanting to go to college and study architecture really is gutpunch... iirc she mentions it in the planetarium right before she dies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Just imagine being Will Arnett growing up having his inner voice and monologue be Will Arnett

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Wendie Malick's performance :kiss:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Caganer posted:

also once you pick up on it, the repeated theme of sara lynn wanting to go to college and study architecture really is gutpunch... iirc she mentions it in the planetarium right before she dies?

Early in that episode she rips on the accountant dude’s house for its subpar design and build

Just so you know she would have been good at it too :smith:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Calaveron posted:

So straight up most gutpunch episode, is it Ruthie or

I'm going with that, I had to stop the binge when I finished it and take a break.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Caganer posted:

:same:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Season 5: Diane voted for Hillary. MPB voted for Trump. Bojack voted for Jill Stein.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Big Taint posted:

Season 5: Diane voted for Hillary. MPB voted for Trump. Bojack voted for Jill Stein.

Pinky Penguin forgot to vote oh god

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Wendie Malick's performance :kiss:

wow I never looked at the credits and just assumed that was Jessica Walter

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

So straight up most gutpunch episode, is it Ruthie or

Man there are so many for this show. Downer Ending and Ruthie both have absolutely brutal moments.

Bojack's inner monologue in Stupid Piece of poo poo really hit hard because I wasn't in the greatest place myself when I watched it, but I can't consider it a gutpunch because it at least balances that part of the story with humor in the other plots. Ruthie has to be the strongest then. You just don't see it coming the first time you watch it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Yeah, when I say gutpunch I mean episode where the rug gets pulled out from under you. Of course Sara Lynn was going to die, she literally says on her first appearance she’s an OD waiting to happen
Meanwhile Princess Carolyn explaining how she cheers herself up is pulled expertly and unexpectedly

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ruthie didn't hit me that hard because I'd already seen that exact premise on another show and saw it coming from miles away. I think the biggest gut punch for me was Escape From L.A. I mean, the ending was exactly what I was expecting at the start of the episode, but the entire build up made it seem like Bojack was actually capable of not burning everything to the ground.

The overall most wrenching episodes were Hank After Dark and Time's Arrow for sure, though. The latter is the only piece of adult media that's ever given me literal nightmare's.

The only thing to strike a personal chord is Mr. Peanutbutter when he and Diane fight. I've been that boyfriend more often than I care to admit.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think Downer Ending is still the best of the gut punch episodes because at that point in the show you're not at all expecting it to cut that deep.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So based on the sugar packet Bojack has it says Sugarman Sugar is still family owned, so does Bojack have an entire side of the family he's never met? I assume after Bea ran off with Butterscotch, and Crackerjack was killed with WW2, the control of the company went to another branch of the family?

It was pretty obvious that Bea was not living like she had a massive fortune.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Check the small print on the wrapper. It says it’s owned by the “Fukusaka Family of International Conglomerates.”

At some point it was sold off.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mokinokaro posted:

Bojack's inner monologue in Stupid Piece of poo poo really hit hard because I wasn't in the greatest place myself when I watched it...

Speaking of which, I constantly refer to that monologue whenever the subject of what it’s like for me to deal with depression comes up, because even if it’s somewhat exaggerated (for me personally) it is SHOCKINGLY accurate and instructive.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Forget it Jake, it's Sooze-town.

Roach Warehouse fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 7, 2018

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
The episode haunted me for days afterwards.

In particular, it really disarmed my initial expectations by starting with "Haha, his mind is telling him not to eat cookies for breakfast and he IS doing that. That is SO familiar!", and then quickly veered into "Oh... his mind is telling him that people are talking bad about him behind his back when he is not around... that is so familiar..." territory. It seriously opened up some conversations on what it is and what to do against it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
And it's implied Hollyhock has the same kind of voice in her head. Does make me want to see more of Bojack's father, since presumably they get it from him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm pretty sure most people have that voice.

Like, not that specific voice, but something telling you that you're not as good as you could be, or the idea that all your friends and loved ones only barely tolerate you, or that whatever is currently bringing you down is entirely your own fault, and everyone who looks at you knows it. I don't think I've met anyone who's never felt that way.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And it's implied Hollyhock has the same kind of voice in her head.

That ending was the gut punch moment of the show for me.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That voice goes away eventually...right? :ohdear:

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
The end of The Best Thing That Ever Happened with Bojack's 'no', then cut to black. That was harsh.

I guess because their relationship is very well fleshed out and relatable, and you really do think the episode is heading towards a reconciliation, then it's just... over. It's also one of my favourite PC episodes because her backstory just makes so much goddamn sense.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

SEX BURRITO posted:

The end of The Best Thing That Ever Happened with Bojack's 'no', then cut to black. That was harsh.

I think this is one of the things I like the most about the series evolution: They don't have the need to end the episode with a little joke to lighten the mood. I remember this souring me a lot in Downer Ending but by S3 or 4, if they wanted to leave you hanging they would. Diane and Bojack going back from visiting Cuddlywhiskesrs come to mind. Just silence.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

SEX BURRITO posted:

I guess because their relationship is very well fleshed out and relatable, and you really do think the episode is heading towards a reconciliation, then it's just... over. It's also one of my favourite PC episodes because her backstory just makes so much goddamn sense.

Yeah, I think Best Thing that Ever Happened is my favorite episode. The fight between PC and Bojack is intense and very believable given what we’ve seen of their characters, but it’s mixed with this completely absurd situation with the restaurant that’s hilarious.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Keep on drivin, keep on drivin

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Like, not that specific voice, but something telling you that you're not as good as you could be, or the idea that all your friends and loved ones only barely tolerate you, or that whatever is currently bringing you down is entirely your own fault, and everyone who looks at you knows it. I don't think I've met anyone who's never felt that way.

I think most people have that voice to an extent, but it's a matter of degrees. What most people have is doubt. What you hear in "Piece of poo poo" where it's like a continuous monologue of self hatred or even like another person that hates you inside your head are persistent intrusive thoughts. Which is a characteristic of depression (and OCD, and anxiety disorders, and PTSD, and other similar psych disorders).

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but the nice thing he did was wait in a line for a few hours, donated some money to an orphanage, and brought a seahorse baby home once and then the bad things he did were like, uh... UUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHH

He was kind to his mother, who he justifiably hated and who had used her appalling life as an excuse to become a vile person, for no reason other than because it was the right thing to do, and the only person who will ever remember he did it was Bojack. He could have taken the easy path, done what he'd wanted to do, and screamed at a frightened old woman with dementia, and nobody would have known he'd done it or even cared very much if they had known. But he decided - for once - to "be better".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

He was kind to his mother, who he justifiably hated and who had used her appalling life as an excuse to become a vile person, for no reason other than because it was the right thing to do, and the only person who will ever remember he did it was Bojack. He could have taken the easy path, done what he'd wanted to do, and screamed at a frightened old woman with dementia, and nobody would have known he'd done it or even cared very much if they had known. But he decided - for once - to "be better".

Well, that was after a calculated act of neglect in dropping her off at the cheapest dodgiest retirement home he could find and all, though he was also actively treating her better since Hollyhock was around, and said act was specifically retaliation for how she'd nearly killed her.

Beatrice's treatment of Hollyhock makes me think that she really wanted a daughter. Who probably would have managed to turn out worse than Bojack.

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well, that was after a calculated act of neglect in dropping her off at the cheapest dodgiest retirement home he could find

That's kind of the point. Her being there at that moment was because he wanted punishment for what she had done to Hollyhock. But the thing he decided to ultimately do was what was best for HER in that moment. For a frightened woman with dementia, in her moment of clarity, he set aside his own revenge (out of love? pity?) to help her be less scared. He did a kindness to someone who had given him decades of torment even though he could have chosen that moment to tell her he hated her. If being a good person is really the things that you do, he was good in that moment.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
He wanted to set up a live episode of horsing around to bring her back to clarity and tell her gently caress you mom so him being kind to her in that moment of clarity meant a lot

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Andenalli posted:

That's kind of the point. Her being there at that moment was because he wanted punishment for what she had done to Hollyhock. But the thing he decided to ultimately do was what was best for HER in that moment. For a frightened woman with dementia, in her moment of clarity, he set aside his own revenge (out of love? pity?) to help her be less scared. He did a kindness to someone who had given him decades of torment even though he could have chosen that moment to tell her he hated her. If being a good person is really the things that you do, he was good in that moment.

And she'll be scared again tomorrow in a dump and he won't be there.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Kelsey's utter and incomprehensible infatuation with Todd will never not be funny

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Calaveron posted:

Kelsey's utter and incomprehensible infatuation with Todd will never not be funny

That seems like a reoccuring thing, I remember when they put an APB out for the group, they refer to Todd as "a small, sprite like man".

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else

Pick posted:

And she'll be scared again tomorrow in a dump and he won't be there.

We have no idea what happened after that yet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bust Rodd posted:

Honesty I’d like to season 5 address how being ready to change and wanting to live your best life isn’t easy even if you a mentally healthy and stable person with few deep regrets...

Have you not been paying attention to every other character in the show? They're all struggling with the same general things Bojack is, but with varying degrees of damage, including none at all in Mister Peanutbutter's case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfqTOhi7AnQ

Bust Rodd posted:

Bojack is none of those things and his chickens coming home to roost would be awesome to see.

This is like this guy I know who thinks Berserk would be better if it didn't have the lighthearted parts.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Rooting for Bojack is like rooting for the weird engineer in the star trek black mirror episode. He's a bad person who tried to rape a teenager, caused the death of what could have been a talented architect, sexually harasses his friend's wife, the list goes on and on.

honestly i'd love to see an entire season where his life blows up, kinda like the end of breaking bad. i want him shivering in a cabin paying some dude to play cards but he's real mean about it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Bojack is an incredibly flawed person, but he actually tries to be better, and has several moments of clarity amongst his many fuckups. I don't see how you can compare him to Walter White or Space Todd who have basically no redeeming qualities.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
The thing about BH characters is that, despite all the flaws, they still feel human, so it's not exactly rooting for them but hoping they can find a way to cope with their failings. There's no "redeeming" Bojack, but there's still a chance of, from this point until his end, Bojack minimizing the damage he causes and doing good things to other people and himself. You can't erase 50 years of fuckups and he has to live with all of it, but he doesn't have to keep doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Bojack is an incredibly flawed person, but he actually tries to be better, and has several moments of clarity amongst his many fuckups. I don't see how you can compare him to Walter White or Space Todd who have basically no redeeming qualities.

like i liked to tell students whining about their grades in grad school: it doesn't matter how hard you tried, you didn't meet expectations