Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I've literally never had a problem with iSR not being in the foreground. I don't even understand how it's possible for it to not be after you start it, unless you're accidentally pushing buttons.

I think there’s a setting that dictates what is shown when you wake your watch. Needs to be set to ‘last app’. I think ISR tells you to set it this way to work properly maybe those people who this happens to haven’t set it up like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

But then I found ‘HealthFit’ that synchronises Apple Watch activities to a variety of run tracking services including Strava. I use the built in activity app on the watch and it’s rock solid and accurate.

So that’s my story and my recommendation.

This sounds pretty good I’ll try it out this weekend.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

I’ve had concerns about the accuracy of the Strava app on my Apple Watch series 1 - often undermeasuring distance. Turns out that when running it only uses the accelerometer for calculating this - with consequential effects for pace measurements etc (even though I always carry my phone with me when running). I think this is the same even on watches with built in gps.

I tried ismoothrun and just didn’t like it. All far too fussy and the one run I took it on was even less accurate than Strava. Maybe I got unlucky but I didn’t like it enough to persevere.

But then I found ‘HealthFit’ that synchronises Apple Watch activities to a variety of run tracking services including Strava. I use the built in activity app on the watch and it’s rock solid and accurate.

So that’s my story and my recommendation.

Yeah I hated Strava for that very reason. It based auto pause on accelerometer too, so if you brought your watch up to check your distance while running, it loving paused it because you aren’t swinging your arm. It’s unbelievable how badly their watch app is designed.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ManSedan posted:

My Series 1 is kinda sluggish. Is the full process to unpair, reset, restore from backup? Or is there another step I need to take?

I've found my S2 needs restarting every couple of days to run properly. A re-pair fixes it too but not for any longer than just restarting the drat thing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

so does no one in here bother with any sort of screen cover or small case or w/e? Are there actually any good ones? I've tried some tempered glass screen covers and they were pretty poo poo, water got in, etc.

I just feel like I'm gonna bang it into something or eat poo poo when I'm out and about and whoops there goes $400

like I know scratches are largely only noticeable on close inspection but gently caress

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

so does no one in here bother with any sort of screen cover or small case or w/e? Are there actually any good ones? I've tried some tempered glass screen covers and they were pretty poo poo, water got in, etc.

I just feel like I'm gonna bang it into something or eat poo poo when I'm out and about and whoops there goes $400

like I know scratches are largely only noticeable on close inspection but gently caress

AppleCare.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I tried one for a day when I got my watch in 2015. It looked terrible so I ripped it off and said screw it, I’ve got AppleCare and better things to worry about. Battery messed up before the screen scratched.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I had one of those silicone cases on my OG Apple Watch because it came with an aftermarket band I had purchased through amazon. One hot summer day I was working in the garden, and when I was done I noticed that all of my sweat (plus dirt and other crap) had collected in between the silicone case and the watch. I threw the case away that day. That probably wouldn’t be such a big deal with the series 3 being more water resistant, but either way I stay away from those cases now. Even the hard shell cases aren’t tight enough to keep dirt and grit from getting inside and scratching the finish, potentially doing more damage than just leaving the watch unprotected.

There are some non-glass screen protectors that I hear seem to work pretty well and don’t look terrible, but I haven’t seen any good reviews of the tempered glass ones. There is a new version that I’ve seen from Gadget Guard that is a type of liquid that hardens to form a protective layer, but I haven’t seen or heard any reviews about it. Gadget Guard makes good stuff, so I imagine it’s probably a decent product.

Edit: Heres the liquid screen protector: https://www.gadgetguard.com/shop-by...protection.html. They’ll give you $150 if your screen breaks with this stuff on it.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 30, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thanks for the replies

Yeah I've heard about that liquid screen protector, which I think needs reapplication periodically, but could still be an option. You're right that everything else just gets seems to get grime between. The tempered glass ones were pretty poo poo and yeah, just couldn't get a good enough seal.

y'all beach/swimming in salt water sans issue?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

y'all beach/swimming in salt water sans issue?

I took mine swimming in the sea a few times, salt ended up crystallising around the button but running it under hot water when I got home fixed that (and also loosened up my crown which I hadn’t noticed had gradually become sticky).

It still feels super weird to take an expensive electronic gadget and stick it straight under a running tap, but did no harm (and Apple actually recommend it for crown issues).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I guess I'm more worried about sand and scratching the gently caress out of it. Should def do a quick rinse after ocean water in general prob

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I guess I'm more worried about sand and scratching the gently caress out of it. Should def do a quick rinse after ocean water in general prob

I’ve been using an Apple Watch since the launch fit hr first gen. I bang it accidentally every once and a while, Taken it into the ocean, etc. my first gen I had one noticeable scratch, otherwise the watches are way more durable than you would think. I don’t think any type of case or screen protector is necessary, if you’re worried get Apple care (I didn’t bother getting Apple care).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Pretty sure the water protection isn't against salt water. I recall that being not included in the spec.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The Apple store clerk told me it’s fine regarding the 3. dunno if it’s official policy tho but it didn’t seem very nudge nudge wink wink

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
With the 3 the official advice is to rinse it well after use in salt water. They advertise it with distance swimmers and people at the beach.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
My S2 has been acting really wonky (software is up to date), consistently losing connection to my phone when I am not on WiFi. A restart seems to re-connect it, but this gets a little frustrating have to do it every other day or so.

So I think I need to unpair the watch completely and then re-pair it. I did this a year ago (and was running iOS 11 beta at the time on my phone) and lost about 8 weeks of Activity / Health data. How can I verify the last Watch backup or Activity / Health backup date?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
It should back up the data when unpairing. I don’t know how to manually backup or check for backups though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
S2 owners, how often do you have to unsync/resync to keep watch performance up? I feel like I’m doing this twice a month now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I never do?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I've never done that.

It does need restarting every three or four days to keep performance tolerable though.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Never had any need to restart - I actually don’t know when the last time I turned my S2 off.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy poo poo, after ATTs “administrative charges” fee tripled, I’m paying $5.42 in fees plus $1.48 of government fees and taxes on an LTE Apple Watch :psyduck:

$16.86 for a $10 plan. gently caress ATT.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 4, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How do you think they're paying for that time warner acquisition?

They've raised prices on a ton of stuff the past few months.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo, after ATTs “administrative charges” fee tripled, I’m paying $5.42 in fees plus $1.48 of government fees and taxes. on an LTE Apple Watch :psyduck:

$16.86 for a $10 plan. gently caress ATT.

Yeah that’s why I bailed hard on ATT and switched. The nickel and diming and bumping poo poo every year for iPhones was ridiculous.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Don’t miss ATT and their BS games one bit. T-mobile has been great. I held out for so long because I had the grandfathered unlimited data

I mean I don’t work for t-mobile but my bill is almost half and I actually have tethering if I need it

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

buglord posted:

S2 owners, how often do you have to unsync/resync to keep watch performance up? I feel like I’m doing this twice a month now.

Never, haven't turned it off since I first got it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So all my contacts have disappeared from my watch somehow. They're in my phone just fine, but I'm now just getting text messages from phone numbers now. The same thing just happened to my wife, and she fixed it by going into the Watch app on her phone > General > Reset > Reset Sync Data, and they magically re-appeared.

When I tap that, it gives no indication that it's doing anything at all, nor any indication on when it completes whatever it may or may not be doing. And my contacts stay not there.

I am running the iOS public beta 2 on my phone. I have no idea if that has any bearing at all. No beta on my watch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So all my contacts have disappeared from my watch somehow. They're in my phone just fine, but I'm now just getting text messages from phone numbers now. The same thing just happened to my wife, and she fixed it by going into the Watch app on her phone > General > Reset > Reset Sync Data, and they magically re-appeared.

When I tap that, it gives no indication that it's doing anything at all, nor any indication on when it completes whatever it may or may not be doing. And my contacts stay not there.

I am running the iOS public beta 2 on my phone. I have no idea if that has any bearing at all. No beta on my watch.

Same thing with Beta 3, it's a beta thing.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Same thing happened during last years OS beta, too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does anyone know if I can put iOS 12 on my iPhone that’s paired with my watch? It’s a series 0 so I don’t think it can even upgrade to the next watchOS.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does anyone know if I can put iOS 12 on my iPhone that’s paired with my watch? It’s a series 0 so I don’t think it can even upgrade to the next watchOS.

The s0 isn’t leaving watchOS 4 but your iPhone is fine to move to 12.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Don’t miss ATT and their BS games one bit. T-mobile has been great. I held out for so long because I had the grandfathered unlimited data

I mean I don’t work for t-mobile but my bill is almost half and I actually have tethering if I need it

Those AT&T users on grandfathered unlimited plans are the most loyal AT&T customers on the planet and the company treats them like absolute poo poo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Any of my duders rocking the 38mm 🤔 messed around with it a bit and thought I’d dislike it more but it’s actually more dainty and still perfectly serviceable

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I have a 42 but I’ll probably get a 38 next time.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Any of my duders rocking the 38mm 🤔 messed around with it a bit and thought I’d dislike it more but it’s actually more dainty and still perfectly serviceable

I (male) used a 38mm for about a year and a half before switching to the 42mm about a year ago. I have smaller wrists so the 38mm fit was totally fine, but overall I definitely like the rectangular shape of the 42mm vs the more square 38mm.

And if they released a bigger one I would probably go for it as long as the weight wasn't noticably more than the 42 mm.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yes, of course, it fits quite nicely on my ladylike wrists.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
The big one looks dumb as hell on my wrist so

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One of the spring rumors about a new watch this fall suggested a smaller bezel is in the cards. So basically you might be getting the 42mm screen in the 38mm format.

If that's important to you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have a 42 mm and wish it was bigger and thinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

42mm is just a bit gaudy for my tastes and while I’m a dude I definitely have dainty wrists