Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

My instructor said that he once did a rental checkout for a guy who had learned to fly somewhere in the Florida panhandle decades ago. He said he's never been more terrified to be in a plane than flying with that guy. Not only did he apparently have terrible flying skills, couldn't hold a stabilized approach if his life depended on it, etc., but he completely froze up the first time he had to call for an airspace transition, which threw him off badly enough that he was unable to handle any of the calls for the rest of the flight. Apparently the airspace down in the Florida swamps is a leeetle less complicated than that over the Bay Area.

(he did not sign the guy off)

Yeah, radio comms is a big one for our airport too, with rusty pilots especially. Spend less time trying to memorize the frequencies -- we have them written down for a reason, also ATC will tell you to switch frequencies when they want you to do so -- and more time focusing on basic radio work.

Meanwhile, my pre-solo student is a little bit under-confident because he often misses the transponder code given on the initial contact with ground, and his landings have been a bit firm*. Buddy, if those were my biggest concerns with the licensed pilots I've been flying with, I'd be over the moon.

* He was landing smoothish, but very flat, for a time. I'm getting him to focus on getting the nose up more in the flare, and he's been doing well on that, but in the process the landings have been slightly harder.

EDIT: I hope I'm not sounding too negative, I've been having a lot of fun so far and it's great to have, for the first time, a job I don't hate doing. Right now my focus is getting better at it overall and figuring out how to deal with the rusty guys in order to get them back to standard efficiently and safely.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The worst checkout I ever did was with a guy who wanted an IPC in his personal airplane.

I probably should have realized something was up when he had no clue how to use the avionics, but I finally told him "that's enough, we're landing" after he got into an ususual attitude twice while trying to intercept a localizer.

One of my checkout students was later killed when they crashed the rental 152 I'd checked them out in (while signing off their flight review as well) but since the cause of the accident turned out to be a massive heart attack, the FAA never even contacted me about the investigation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

azflyboy posted:

The worst checkout I ever did was with a guy who wanted an IPC in his personal airplane.

I probably should have realized something was up when he had no clue how to use the avionics, but I finally told him "that's enough, we're landing" after he got into an ususual attitude twice while trying to intercept a localizer.

One of my checkout students was later killed when they crashed the rental 152 I'd checked them out in (while signing off their flight review as well) but since the cause of the accident turned out to be a massive heart attack, the FAA never even contacted me about the investigation.

My question here is... do these people know they're not even close to safe to fly? The first guy I did a refresher flight with was honest that he was weak on radio work, etc., but his hands and feet were solid (once we got off the ground...) and his landing didn't frighten me very much, yet the second guy seemed way overconfident and I had to take control after the first bounce and no attempt at a decent recovery. Also he showed up without a watch or a kneeboard, which, in retrospect, should be something I check for and then say "no, we're not flying, you don't have the necessary equipment" :psyduck:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

PT6A posted:

My question here is... do these people know they're not even close to safe to fly?

Of course not these people are pilots.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

PT6A posted:

My question here is... do these people know they're not even close to safe to fly?

Not only do they not know, they think they are pretty drat good. I had a few of those Dunning–Kruger personified "pilots" wanting biennial checks or for me to finish one of their ratings. One of them got killed just two weeks after I warned my boss that it would happen.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I have an instrument student who doesn't take his time in procedures, doesn't double and triple check what's going on, etc etc

So I set up a sim session where I laid a pretty basic trap and told him that I was setting one, just to get him to take his time

(edited) read the notes section of your approach plate, friends

e: vv that's not what i'm doing

a patagonian cavy fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 6, 2018

simble
May 11, 2004

I love shaming people who are trying to learn.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

simble posted:

That sounds like a pretty important lesson to learn though?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

simble posted:

The whole point is that these people DONT want to learn. They want to skip to the point where they receive their rating. Or for biennial checks, they show up telling you that they are proficient and just need your signature so let’s make this as quick as possible. When you tell them they need instruction, they usually act like you are just trying to take their money.

It’s easy to be blithe about the bitching going on here, so I’m guessing you’ve never had a student get killed.

Animal fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 6, 2018

simble
May 11, 2004

There's obviously a difference between dunning kruger idiots and students.

Shaming a student on internet forums won't prevent them from getting killed.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The minimum instruction for a review was a godsend when I was a CFI. Let’s you see if they’re any good while being able to blame the cost minimums on the FAA. I’ve had hotshot pilots come in that couldn’t name any airspace or what’s needed inside of outside of any of it.

“Oh I just won’t go into big airports.”

Yeah I don’t know that and I’m not putting my name in your logbook.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

simble posted:

It's a Venn diagram.

Rolo posted:

“Oh I just won’t go into big airports.”

Yeah I don’t know that and I’m not putting my name in your logbook.

I fortunately haven't gotten anybody in for a BFR who has been like this but I know it's coming

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

simble posted:

Shaming a student on internet forums won't prevent them from getting killed.

How big of a weenie are you that showing a student common pitfalls that lead to major mistakes via scenario training in a simulator is "shaming"? That's how people learn and remember things, particularly when they are showing patterns of negative behaviors. Fuckin millennials, man.

simble
May 11, 2004

greasyhands posted:

How big of a weenie are you that showing a student common pitfalls that lead to major mistakes via scenario training in a simulator is "shaming"? That's how people learn and remember things, particularly when they are showing patterns of negative behaviors. Fuckin millennials, man.

What? I can't even.... I love me some unwarranted personal attacks!

These here public forums are not a simulator. Sure, show the student what they hosed up in the simulator, teach them, great, I'm all for that. Shame the rear end hole "rusty pilots" who don't want to learn. Just don't be a dick to the people who are actively trying to learn. Jesus loving christ.... goons are still the worst.

My assumption here is that the word student does in fact mean that they want to learn when they gently caress up.

simble
May 11, 2004

To change the subject - Anyone going to AirVenture in a few weeks? Anyone have any must sees/dos?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I dunno what they teach instructors in the States, but up here they’re big on “learning factors” and one of those is “intensity.” Constructing a scenario in which a student’s particular weakness is revealed isn’t shaming them, it’s about letting them discover through experience why they need to address their weakness.

Shaming them would be saying “why did you do that???” Instructing would be saying “do you know why I gave you that scenario?” and then working with them to correct the problem.

Edit: depends on the student, too. Overconfident? Throw them a curve ball. Underconfident? Reinforce what they’re doing well.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 7, 2018

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

simble posted:

To change the subject - Anyone going to AirVenture in a few weeks? Anyone have any must sees/dos?

I am.

See and do whatever floats your boat. Don't try to plan your day to heavily of you wont make it to half of it or you will miss out on just walking into interesting things.

Get to at least one night airshow and try to get a taste of each area regardless of your interest level. The ultralight area has some very interesting things to see and many people do not take the time to get down to it.

USE THE TRAMS. You will be walking several miles a day regardless.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
All the above is sound advice

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Sagebrush posted:

Apparently the airspace down in the Florida swamps is a leeetle less complicated than that over the Bay Area.

I learned to fly in the Bay Area (KSQL, first solo out of HAF). It was a challenging environment for a student pilot.

Now I fly in Colorado, and everything feels so... empty.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Flying west of 105° W is just the best

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

e.pilot posted:

Flying west of 105° W is just the best

:yeah: loving right it is!

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Where do you guys stay at AirVenture? Camp? I can’t imagine there being a lot of hotels for one week a year? Are there public showers and stuff?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You fly in and camp under the wing of your plane, duh

(I think someone posted either here or in the AI airplane thread that the hotels are booked years in advance and their place was three hours away)

helno
Jun 19, 2003

A lot of people camp either at the campgrounds or under the wing if they fly in.

Last year and again this year I’m staying at a rented house.

Forget about hotels unless you want to commute from Appleton or Fon du lac and still pay hundreds per night.

simble
May 11, 2004

We planned on flying in but airplane issues mean we’ll have to road trip it and camp in Camp Scholler.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Goonmeet?

We should just go to whatever day the /r/flying meetup is and awkwardly ask if anyone has stairs in there house.

I'm flying in.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I liked to teach via fear, sarcasm and ridicule. It was a lot of fun that way.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xaarman posted:

I liked to teach via fear, sarcasm and ridicule. It was a lot of fun that way.

I see that you are a controller.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MrYenko posted:

I see that you are a controller.

The controller at RDU used to give me so much poo poo when I was an instructor.

“Hey, you guys see a helicopter about ten miles south of the airport?”

“I see a beacon, but I don’t know if it’s a helicopter.”

“Ok maybe this will help, helicopters are the ones with the propeller on the roof.”

Everyone laughed at me. It was hazy! Hazy!!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

The controller at RDU used to give me so much poo poo when I was an instructor.

“Hey, you guys see a helicopter about ten miles south of the airport?”

“I see a beacon, but I don’t know if it’s a helicopter.”

“Ok maybe this will help, helicopters are the ones with the propeller on the roof.”

Everyone laughed at me. It was hazy! Hazy!!

The controllers at HWO keep a mouth harp in the tower, and will ocassionally give studens a single PRAAAANG over the radio when they bounce it in.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MrYenko posted:

The controllers at HWO keep a mouth harp in the tower, and will ocassionally give studens a single PRAAAANG over the radio when they bounce it in.

Hahaha that’s so awesome.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

simble posted:

I am.

Generally speaking, you wanna wander through the plane parking. It's amazing the breadth and depth of airframes that show up, and the range of conditions. There's a 172 I've been seeing for years, that I swear is a ratrod.

If you've not done them before, picking a class to take, and learning how to do riveting, wood construction, fiberglass, gas welding... they'll teach you, and it's cheap/free.

The airshows are fun.

Don't plan anything to tightly. You won't ever do everything you think you could do. It's huge. Plan on shooting the poop with people. People are there to talk.

helno posted:

I am.

See and do whatever floats your boat. Don't try to plan your day to heavily of you wont make it to half of it or you will miss out on just walking into interesting things.

Get to at least one night airshow and try to get a taste of each area regardless of your interest level. The ultralight area has some very interesting things to see and many people do not take the time to get down to it.

USE THE TRAMS. You will be walking several miles a day regardless.

I back this entirely! And sunscreen and water. It's hot, there's not a lot of shade. The ultralight stuff has the "fun stuff" becuase it's not regulated. Belite is there with his guage packages, and his planes... The STOL people setup in the Ultralight area too. Team Mini-Max has their neat stuff there too.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
If someone ends up organizing a goon meet let me know. I live north of Chicago so I may just day trip it up there if it falls on a day I'm off.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Doing my yearly video training, and I’m to my favorite part of CRM/ADM:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

helno posted:

Most of the time I hold the throttle by the base of the lever with my hand on the base to avoid inadvertent movement due to turbulence.

Yeah kinda see what you mean now

First lesson doing patterns was windy enough that a couple people were camping under final taking pictures and got baby’s first approaches on video (went pretty well, 20 years of playing sims finally paid off)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A truly unholy thing.

:canada:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
My dad, a literal lifelong pilot, has, after a stroke and 2 years learning to walk/everything else again, gotten his BasicMed, completed his BFR, and soloed the family 140.

:unsmith:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

overdesigned posted:

My dad, a literal lifelong pilot, has, after a stroke and 2 years learning to walk/everything else again, gotten his BasicMed, completed his BFR, and soloed the family 140.

gently caress. Yes.

:black101:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

MrYenko posted:

A truly unholy thing.

:canada:

So is Boeing going to re-name the 175/190 like they did for what's now the 717? Am I about to be type rated in the 797?

overdesigned posted:

:bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

overdesigned posted:

:cheers: nice, that's awesome getting back in the saddle like that.