Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

If there were a new game, I wouldn't have Shadow Pokemon Mega Evolve since that sort of ruins the theme that Shadow-ification is a corrupting force while Mega Evolution is the power of friendship. In fact, I could see Shadow Pokemon being peddled by Cipher as an alternative for trainers who can't do Mega Evolution/Z-moves with their Pokemon and want to compete with trainers that do.

I don't think they'd do it either but the Magearna movie had evil mega evolution, which let you induce mega evolution even if you didn't have a bond or mega stones or any of that jazz.
So the idea's not totally off the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ultra Sun/Moon sort of implies that Mega Evolution for most Pokemon is some kind of evil transformation normally that's only reigned in by friendship.

Of course, Mega Rayquaza seems to have no problem with its transformation, as well as a few like Pinsir and Ampharos.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ultra Sun/Moon sort of implies that Mega Evolution for most Pokemon is some kind of evil transformation normally that's only reigned in by friendship.

Of course, Mega Rayquaza seems to have no problem with its transformation, as well as a few like Pinsir and Ampharos.

I believe that the Ultra dex entries are entirely written or strongly edited by Rotomdex to gently caress with the trainer. Some of those entries are a bit too grim for my tastes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mraagvpeine posted:

If there were a new game, I wouldn't have Shadow Pokemon Mega Evolve since that sort of ruins the theme that Shadow-ification is a corrupting force while Mega Evolution is the power of friendship. In fact, I could see Shadow Pokemon being peddled by Cipher as an alternative for trainers who can't do Mega Evolution/Z-moves with their Pokemon and want to compete with trainers that do.

Pokken literally has a Shadow Pokemon Mega Evolve though, so it has some sort of canonicity with Shadow Mega Mewtwo X. I could see it happening if this subseries had existed beyond Gen 3, though of course, it didn't, and instead we got the mediocrity of Pokemon Battle Revolution. Sigh.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Shadow Mega Mewtwo X
just what the hell happened to this series

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FractalSandwich posted:

just what the hell happened to this series

Pokemon side games get to engage in all the crazy the main games dont.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Pokemon side games get to engage in all the crazy the main games dont.

Yes, but Mega Mewtwo X is a main game thing. :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I never played or seen Pokken so I did not know that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Evice is where kid me just tapped straight out of Colosseum. I could not beat that fucker and capture Tyranitar no matter what I did. This was back in the rental days, so I didn't have any more time. I just took my L and never looked back.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
man, I don't even remember struggling much with Evice. I mean, okay, I lost a couple times, but I was much more determined as a kid playing video games than I am as an adult. But, I think I beat all the Colosseums I could and then some beforehand, and had Suicune and a couple decently powerful unpurified Shadow Pokemon.

at least, I think I beat Evice? I have memories of the postgame content, so I must have. and I vaguely remember seeing Evice send out Slaking and going "oh noooooooo".

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

SonicRulez posted:

Evice is where kid me just tapped straight out of Colosseum. I could not beat that fucker and capture Tyranitar no matter what I did. This was back in the rental days, so I didn't have any more time. I just took my L and never looked back.

Same I tried like a dozen times to beat him and I just couldn't. Young me was terrible at pokemon.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

The good news about Evice and the whole Realgam gauntlet is that you don't need to capture all the Shadow Pokemon there at once. Like the Elite Four in the main games you can go in an challenge them as much as you like and so for example, if you got caught off guard by Evice turning up like I did when I was kid and used your Master Ball on Metagross, you can always come back and use that same Metagross to fight him until you catch Tyranitar.

EDIT: Also if you're using your starter Umbreon little guy will tank absolutely everything on Evice's team except Machamp's STAB Cross Chop and learns Moonlight so it can heal itself.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 1, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 14: Snag 'Em Holdouts

It's the postgame! I hope you're ready for emails, since we don't have an overall goal anymore, so we'll be getting directions from Nett and Secc. Might as well restock on balls too, we're not done with Shadow Pokemon just yet!

Hope you picked a good ringtone, it's what you'll be hearing forever.

Phenac City

We'll head to Pyrite in a moment, but there's a couple of things to go over first. Not much actually changes in the postgame, aside from every trainer gets a rematch with lots of high levelled Pokemon.

We're now able to trade with any Gen 3 game and move Pokemon and items between them as often as we like. Of course you can't trade over Shadow Pokemon, but once they're purified, you can send them over and get some sweet Johto Pokemon in your game you wouldn't originally. At least, until FRLG and Emerald came out, then it didn't matter as much. This means we can use any Pokemon we fancy and send over all kinds of items that can't be found in Orre, such as different Pokeballs and the like. I won't be doing any of that, I could go between this file and our Emerald file, but ehhhhh, tbh cba fam. We'll be sticking with our team for the rest of the game.

Oh yeah we have bunch of cool Shadow Pokemon we need to walk for hours in order to purify. I'll totally be doing that.

They've got some sweet loot we need, including the only Nugget in the game! We'll be selling it. Also a Metal Coat, since trade evolutions still occur between GC and GBA, though first we need FireRed to come out so we can catch a Scyther and/or Onix. And then use their Metal Coats anyway.

Oh yeah, did you notice Mawuh hasn't been holding an item the entire game? Whoops! I'll make Sludge Bomb slightly better...

We've seen quite a few Pokemon so far in this game, we're only 150 or so from seeing everything! We're not gonna see everything, it's just gonna be more Linoone.

Pyrite Town

Our prisoners broke out. Every last one of them. I reckon they realized that they make easier targets for their organization when they're caged.

Yes, I was sleeping like a baby, but I wish they would've at least told me they were making a run for it...

Everyone's escaped so we can fight them elsewhere and snag their Pokemon if you still need to. Reath and Ferma are at Miror B.'s hideout replacing Mirakle B. since I'm never going back there to show it. We'll see where the other two have gone later. As for the Chaser that was in here at the start of the game? After Trudly and Folly get arrested, we never see him again, which is a shame since he had a TM to give us that we now cannot get. When the gear gets stolen, we can come in here and pick up the Jail Key and release him, giving us TM46 Thief. But I forgot, but it wasn't a big deal, I knew we'd get the Jail Key later, which we did, though Folly was in the cell now, so I figured we'd get the TM in the postgame. Except there's nothing here, so no TM for us. Fine by me, it's a lovely move anyway, since every wild Pokemon either 100% has an item, or doesn't, so this move is completely useless, unless you want lovely Dark coverage.

There's this ROGUE called CAIL who hangs around PYRITE's entrance. It sounds like CAIL recently battled this creepy trainer. They say that this trainer used some weird POKEMON. I think you should have a talk with CAIL about this.

Sure thing, let's have the postgame ease us into things with a nice and easy rematch.

...why is he stronger than Nascour?

The postgame isn't exactly a cakewalk, but considering you can use any Pokemon you fancy and got some real NICE Pokemon from the endgame, you'll be fine. Our team will struggle to start with, but this is some real NICE exp we're getting.

We'll probably need some more healing supplies, you can never have enough Revival Herbs.

I hope you've got some good answers, or you're gonna get kinda wrecked.

Oh yeah, some postgame trainers will use items on both their Pokemon, like in the endgame, so things can get very scary!

Uh... I forgot! He did say something about the SNAGEM HIDEOUT, though.

Ooh, a new area to go to, if you thought the right side of the map was looking pretty drat empty. We'll stop off to get some supplies and to purify some cool new mons and then head off!

Snagem Hideout

Well, this place has seen better days. Admittedly a lot of this stuff was from before I blew it up, but, uh, details!

...we know, Secc.

This place is a bit of a maze and the zoomed in camera doesn't help, but there's a lot of helpful items. Also the one PC.

There's also a load of Cipher Peons. Six, in fact. Every time you change the floor, you can come back to this spot and battle another Cipher Peon so you can get another shot at their Shadow Pokemon. We first fought Nore in the Pyrite Building and snagged his Yanma.

Like every postgame trainer, his team is pretty tough and they usually have four Pokemon.

His Bug mons have Bug moves to be a pain, but we've got fire, so it's whatever.

The only working vending machine is in The Under, alas... I won't fight all six peons, but we'll be back to that spot later.

Alright, now we're getting the proper Shadow Pokemon list from Nett. This will come in chunks of six and while we recognize quite a few Pokemon on there... Smeargle is a new one. Wonder where that is.

There's a staircase at the bottom going up, but we'll head this way first.

Despite being high levelled, the game is still weirdly allergic to evolved Pokemon in some cases, so we'll get oddities like this.

Fine by me.

If you're wondering where all the good item boxes were, they were nicked.

Like hot drat, but that was a dead end, despite looking like an important room, so let's continue on.

Guess there's not that many Snagem members as we thought, there's just a bunch of bozos hanging around, not including the leftover Cipher bozos.

There are too many Linoone in this game.

If you don't know where we are, don't worry, this place is confusing for me still, even if I've gone through it plenty of times before.

Ah, fast Water moves. I know some weather that will help with this a lot.

Thnakfully, despite being terrifying, Starmie is pretty fragile.

Please, you haven't watched my GTA 1 LP.

Now doesn't this room look familiar? Did they really not move the stand after all this time?

What? Not gonna have a random trainer use a Salamence and Tyranitar? Wimps.

With the power of love, Carbuncle can oneshot a Carvanha. Beautiful.

Oh, guess we won't be encountering a new Shadow Pokemon just yet.

This will do just fine. Though it's yet another Linoone.

You're right, but I don't cheat in battles. Except for when I do.

We already have a Delibird, so you won't fake me out again!

If I said no to Light Screen, I'm saying no to Safeguard.

Well you're doing better than Cipher, if anything.

There's zero indication you pick those balls up, but you can. It's pretty nice and the only time in the game you can do that!

Imagine if this had been our companion instead.

Or did you come out to see me, BLUNO? Fufufu... if that's the case, I'd better not disappoint you.

Even though we saw Verde again before the end, we do get to fight both Rosso and Bluno and snag their starters, you don't get the choice of one like in other dumb games. However, they're still at the level we first encountered them, you don't gain exp as a Shadow Pokemon after all, so they really can't be used on your team and can be a bit tricky to catch. But hey, you can send all three Johto starters over to your main games without having to complete the Hoenn Dex in Emerald, which is a massive plus in my eyes!

Which of the three you face here depends on who you chose at the start of the game, so since we faced Verde, we're now facing Bluno, basically who our starter is strong against, so Rosso if we had faced Bluno at the start, etc.

Croconaw is easy enough, it'll spam Shadow Rush and lower its health, but the other two will have to be full health catches, I've never seen them go for Shadow Rush in the postgame. The real focus is on the rest of Bluno's team anyway.

Now in the postgame, the colour trio will have a new Pokemon for whatever type they're strong against, so Verde would have a Sharpedo. We'll see what Rosso has soon enough, since of course we're getting Quilava.

One more recipient of the Net Ball, so the Johto starters were, for quite a while, the only starters that could be obtained in different Pokeballs, since you could trade over any ball and catch them in the postgame, aside from the Safari Ball, obviously.

Enjoy Snagging my SHADOW CROCONAW while you can! There are still more SHADOW POKEMON trainers out there!

Oh hey we're just below the entrance. Why couldn't we just go straight to Bluno? Well, it's pretty sneaky actually, entering this area from the map or from the hideout entrance kicks us to the map before we can go low enough to reach the hideout's, uh, previously made exit. Exiting from there makes the map load further down, letting us travel between the two points until we make the map load line higher up again.

Anyway, since we don't have a goal, let's bounce between areas doing unrelated things until we do. The only new Pokemon in that list is Ursaring, hmm. Let's go down under.

The Under

There's a guy in front of the JUNK SHOP named GURKS. He apparently saw this SHADOW POKEMON in a battle. The quickest way to find out is to ask GURKS himself. THOMAS, can you check it out?

Hmm, I remember fighting this guy, but what Pokemon did he use? I think it was a good one...

Mmm, now this is why these games are the best in the franchise. B2W2? Sounds like a dumb stupid game for idiots with poopy butts.

They are pretty nasty though, since they have Water Spout. Get their health down asap.

...uh, that doesn't help us. We know a guy like that is around, but do you have a location?

Shadow Pokemon Lab

Sometimes it is annoying having to go to a new area to get told to go to another area entirely, so let's just go to where we actually need to go.

Of course, we can't just head straight to where we need to go, oh no, this is one way after all. We gotta go the long way.

And this place ain't empty. So if you didn't catch a Shadow Pokemon here, now's a good time.

Mawuh is literally the worst team member for Garchump, I dunno why I let this happen.

Enough with the high level Pupitar!

And whatever the hell that was. It's alright, it's the postgame, you can use an Altaria against me!

Alright, fine, use a Rhyhorn against me, I won't be annoyed about it. We will have to fight every peon we fought before and that is annoying!

This postgame seems a little incomplete as Tanie doesn't even have a team for it! I mean, she kindadoes, her Pokemon are a few levels higher than last time and Delcatty is a Granbull replacement, but is her team accidentally 10 levels lower? It's just really confusing. There are other things, such as certain characters just not having updated postgame dialogue, but it's whatever really.

Exp is exp after all.

Wow, yeah, imagine if the alarm was still loving going, wouldn't that just be awful?

I could give Espeon a sun boosting move, but we're nearly finished with the game and items will be just fine.

The trainers are getting a little tougher, least we're nearly done with this place.

Waah! How did you sneak up on me like that? Huh? Don't I know you from somewhere? Like at the MAYOR's home in PHENAC? You've been spoiling CIPHER's plans all over, haven't you? You're not going to mess my plan up!

So I was wondering why Cail was stronger than Nascour and now I'm wondering why Rosso is stronger than EVICE. This game is just too crazy for me.

Neat. We've also gotten the Mystic Water and Charcoal, though since we're late enough into the game, I'm not gonna bother selling the latter.

We just really like fighting Grumpig when they're way stronger than us, so they're really hard to take down. We're fighting the trio that's strong against our initial pick, so we'd fight Bluno if we had chosen Rosso to begin with, etc.

We are getting slightly wrecked, but that does help a lot.

Alright, we took down Muk with no reprecussions! Hey, uh, Mawuh, you okay?

Alright, we're done with this drat place, let's never come back here again.

...why are you introducing this mechanic NOW?

Okay, we're heading there next. Just as soon as I restock on healing items. More Revival Herbs!

Snagem Hideout

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Okay. Man this email feature goes into overdrive in the postgame, it's actually pretty funny.

Because we're heading back into the Snagem Hideout we can face the second trainer by the stairs. It's another familiar face!

I can only say gg enough times before I start saying bg instead.

As we head towards where Bluno was again, there's some new trainers to stop us, from the Under Subway. Remember? Ah, I don't blame you if you don't.

With the amount of strong Pokemon we've been facing so far, standard postgame trainers aren't a big deal for us anymore.

The trainers that you'll need to fight you will stop you, so don't accidentally talk to a trainer you've fought before like an idiot, since as we left the area and came back, they WILL fight us again. It's really annoying.

Your unevolved Pokemon make me weep too.

gently caress, guess I'm fighting this guy again. I'm such a loving idiot.

Oh hey, uh, do we know you?

Ah right, you remember Biden? We met him outside the Phenac Colosseum. He had one line of dialogue, don't you remember him? You call yourself a Pokemon fan, honestly.

Spore and Focus Punch? That's just cheeky, I love it. It also had Destiny Bond and Dream Eater. The first one we knocked out had Sweet Scent, Defense Curl, Ice Ball and Rollout.

Oh hey, our first proper postgame Shadow Pokemon. It's not very good, you can guess that much, but might as well talk about it.

The final Smeargle had Thrash, Outrage, Petal Dance and Teeter Dance. Because of course, doesn't your Smeargle have that?

Smeargle, 45 catch rate (28%, low health, paralyzed, Luxury Ball, or 50% with Ultra Ball if you don't trade over fancy stuff), starting moves: Doubleslap, Iron Tail, Tail Whip, Shadow Rush/Sketch

There's some crazy choices for postgame Shadow Pokemon and this is one of them. You're not using Smeargle for battles, you using it as a suicide lead with some crazy moves, or to give Pokemon in the Field Egg group a LOT of options. This doesn't work well in a game with, uh, no breeding, as well as limited Sketch options, since you get it at a much higher level than usual. With the Sketch you get for purifying, you only get six chances to craft the perfect moveset to pass down Egg moves (if you roll male of course, unless you have a time machine and somehow have FRLG and Ditto), otherwise, give it Spore and Spikes and hope for the best with Focus Band. At least since these games are always doubles it makes it much easier Sketching moves if you have a mon faster than Smeargle with the move you want. Otherwise, yeah, that's about all you can do with it and it really ain't much!

But I ended up on the receiving end of the paint...

It was all an elaborate trap by Master GONZAP to sucker you into coming!

Now don't tell me you've forgotten about Agrev! He was outside Phenac Colosseum too, only had no dialogue and you only knew he had a different model to a generic grunt when he turned round for a second before walking offscreen. How could you forget such a memorable character?

Another Shadow Pokemon! These guys were definitely packing when we first saw them. The last unique Snagem Grunt, Wakin, isn't in the postgame, fighting him outside Phenac Colosseum is the only time we see him in this game, alas.

Ursaring, 60 catch rate (78%, low health, Ultra Ball), starting moves: Slash, Lick, Fake Tears, Shadow Rush/Faint Attack

Alright you've had your fun running with five team members until this point and refusing to use your Return, Brick Break or Earthquake TMs. Well here you go, the final good Shadow Pokemon. Everything else doesn't deserve those great moves, so stick it on this great mon and use it to finish up the postgame. It's a very slightly faster and stronger Granbull, so I guess it's an upgrade, but there's really no more good Shadow Pokemon. It's a strong Normal type, so it's got all the moves it can get, it can't use any special moves, despite learning a couple, and it'll do you fine. There's nothing else to say, it's too late in the game to talk about it. If it wanted a fair shake, then how about it shows up earlier in XD, huh? Like that'll ever happen.

Alright, another Shadow Pokemon plot foiled. Surely that must be the last of the drat things, right?

...Shuckle. Alright, where the hell is that?

Well we've still got one more member of Team Snagem to find, so I did use the PC to heal my mons, but it also meant I couldn't head to where Agrev was since the loading zone for the map has changed now that I entered through the, well, entrance. So we'll have to go through the hideout this way and trigger another trainer. Good job me.

That's half of the trainers in that spot, but I don't think we're gonna battle another one.

I got careless back at REALGAM TOWER, but this is the SNAGEM HIDEOUT. We might be shattered, but this is my home turf. This is where I make my stand. I can't lose!

VS Gonzap

Gonzap's team, like a fair few others, have changed a bit in the postgame, but the underlying strategy remains the same, in this case being ridiculous hyper offense.

Nearly all members of his team have changed, but they're still similar, such as Armaldo replacing Pinsir and Machamp replacing Hariyama. Now they sport Attack boosting moves, which can turn a battle very quickly, and Hyper Beam, which, while nasty, also puts them out of commission for a turn, which is quite nice. If you're able to respond.

Ah cool, Carbuncle switched in after Umbreon fainted to a Hyper Beam and got taken out by +2 Ancientpower. Good game, good mechanics.

Okay we should probably stop getting our arse kicked and actually do something.

These seem like two pretty nasty mons.

These seem like two pretty nasty mons.

Gyarados is real dangerous, but hey, we'll focus on it soon. Let's take out Granbull.

Okay, so Gyarados doesn't have any Water moves, I was being optimistic it had any STAB at all. Who cares, I got the Dragonbreath paralysis proc like the dirty little gremlin I am.

Nice Attack boost.

For a clown to have!

I like the weather I'm using, thanks.

But you remember this. So long as I breathe, TEAM SNAGEM will rise from the shadows again! And with it will come your downfall! Live in fear! Gwaahahah!

Oh phew, I was worried I didn't have a direction to go in for a second, that was close.

Ah poo poo, we could go back to where Biden and Agrev are, but face the other two trainers from the Under Subway... or we fight the fourth trainer by the entrance.

This was the Sunflora trainer. We thankfully won't be fighting Arton, who used Delibird, and Dioge, who used Heracross. These loving names, man...

Next time, we'll be continuing the postgame by going under... The Under. Are we going to Hell?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Colosseum has an odd preoccupation with Rhyhorn and Linoone.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The idea of a team of Smeargles with a whole bunch of out-there moves is a good one. I'm surprised it doesn't show up more often.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Remember how folks were talking about loving with AI using Misdreavus? Guess what Hyper Beam can't hit! The only thing on that team which can hit Misdreavus with something that isn't weak and/or unreliable is Granbull's Shadow Ball.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The post game's e-mail system is so weird
It blitzes you constantly
It gives you updates on pokemon you almost certainly have already seen. Including all the realgem tower boss rush pokemon! you absolutely already saw those. Even as a "hey dont forget these ones" reminder this is overkill.
It gives you these updates in tiny slices so you get even more of them
They clearly realized people would just glaze over these because the 2 of any actual note (Smeargle, Ursaring) get a dedicated e-mail
Somewhere in the middle of this nonsense they introduce attaching photos....in the post game

These e-mails (& the under's kids in general) should have been introduced earlier, then spread through the game, with a focus on your current area with a few from future areas. Introduce Tyranitar (& so forth) early on so you can build suspense for when oyu finally face the thing.

quote:

Doubleslap, Iron Tail, Tail Whip, Shadow Rush/Sketch
also this is just a cruel moveset to give the player. Tail Whip...tail whip!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Sooooooo... How many shadow pokemon are left total? Asking for a freind

The friend is me

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

BrightWing posted:

Sooooooo... How many shadow pokemon are left total? Asking for a freind

The friend is me

One.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If the ultimate post-game Shadow Pokemon isn't Gengar it'll be the most wasted opportunity ever.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This postgame is definitely pretty weirdly paced; I think it's clear that first and foremost it's meant to be a way for you to get more chances at the shadow pokemon you missed, rather than a coherent experience in and of itself. Some of the trainers are still pretty good fights, though (like Gonzap), and there are still more of those to come.

We all know what this Smeargle's real purpose is. Don't we? :smuggo: But in all seriousness, it's a weird thing to give you here, especially with this bizarrely useless moveset, and because there's no Move Reminder in Colosseum, you would need to grind ridiculous amounts of levels to actually get anything decent without transferring. Still, when this game was new it would be almost a year between its release and Emerald, meaning this Smeargle actually would have been the only one available for breeding purposes before then.

rannum posted:

These e-mails (& the under's kids in general) should have been introduced earlier, then spread through the game, with a focus on your current area with a few from future areas. Introduce Tyranitar (& so forth) early on so you can build suspense for when oyu finally face the thing.

To give it a very little bit of credit, I think the idea is supposed to be that they're sending the information as they decrypt it, and they would have no idea what of that information the player character already knows. On a Watsonian level, it never bothered me. Of course, you're absolutely right that as game design it's utter nonsense and quite irritating, they definitely could have paced this better and I think your suggestion would have improved it.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I find the third Mystery Troop falling victim to his own side's opsec amusing. I guess we'll never find out exactly what the shadowfication process involves, but with the info lost forever thanks to Ein, Cipher is surely defeated forever.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Four if we're getting into the weird Japan-only poo poo.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Even when you break the spoiler rule, you're both wrong!

It's over fifty.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Glazius posted:

The idea of a team of Smeargles with a whole bunch of out-there moves is a good one. I'm surprised it doesn't show up more often.
Moody Smeargles are fun. Not the most practical, but fun. You can rack up some surprising boosts of the lovely stats, you just can't plan around specific boosts.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

PetraCore posted:

Moody Smeargles are fun. Not the most practical, but fun. You can rack up some surprising boosts of the lovely stats, you just can't plan around specific boosts.

Of course you can

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Glazius posted:

I had money-making Smeargle in Pokemon X with a move-set consisting of Happy Hour/Extreme Speed/V-Create/High Jump Kick holding an Amulet Coin.

Hilariously, he could sweep the Battle Chateau pretty well since the Battle Chateau maxes out at level 60 Pokemon without any of the Challenge Writs. All-out offense Smeargle is viable! (As long as he's 30+ levels higher than his opponent.:v:)

E:
Gonzap will always hold a special place in my heart because he did what every 10-year-old does in Pokemon:

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 4, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

H-holy poo poo. Well, I know what I'm doing later.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Y'know... I don't care about Mt. Battle.

Like I've recorded all of it, beat all 100 trainers, got the pitiful amounts of Poke Coupons and now I'm going through all 8 hours of the footage making screenshots. I'm showing off the little differences between the areas, some of the trainers we're fighting and it's mostly just images of the Pokemon I've chosen to use with their one attack cause their moveset is garbage. And I'm just wondering why I'm really showing it, cause if you guys don't really care about it, and I don't care about it... then why am I doing it?

So instead of making Mt. Battle its own update, I'm just gonna condense the whole thing and put it into the next update I was planning, show a couple of fights here and there, the different areas you visit as you climb the mountain, but I'll just focus on the last leg of the journey, since that's the only time in the entire area I actually had to think about what I was doing, the only difficulty from the previous parts was me using a Hitmontop against the Flying Area Leader, for instance. I've been a little busy this past week, but I have had so little interest in making this update that I'm gonna speed it up, so yeah, look forward to it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Crosspeice posted:

Mt. Battle was a mistake.

That's cool. On to XD.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Honestly my eyes kind of glazed over with the one Mt Battle update we already had, so speeding things along is fine by me.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Go ahead and expedite it; for better or worse, Mt Battle is pretty monotonous and I can see how it wouldn't be fun to write about.

I do think there's some fun to be had in the Battle Mode version (which I think sort of uses Stadium mechanics? I'm not entirely sure) if/when you're going after Ho-oh, and even in story mode the final battle at least is pretty good, but I can easily see how there wouldn't be much to show otherwise. Feel free to show us enough to give us an idea of how miserable the experience was, but there's no need to overdo it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think Battle Mountain is something that should be done in parts and not in one big marathon of endurance.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Extremely agree. Also yeah, good call OP.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 15: Up and Down Battling

The Under

You ready for lots of battling? Of course you are, it's Colosseum after all.

Now I'm incredibly interested in whatever is down there.

Before we see what's behind those big doors, there's something very important to do.

Hrrumph! POKEMON PIKACHU picked a peck of POKEBALLS! Ah, no more air leakage! Ah, I can finally talk normally again. You're a savior. I thank you for your kindness. It's perhaps not much of a thanks, but I'd like you to have this.

Hmm... am I imagining this? My mouth feels gritty.

With the final disk, we can FINALLY reach this item over here.

...thanks game. The earlier you get this item, the better it is, but putting it as one of the very last things to do in the game is not great. Seriously, we are nearly done with the postgame, uh, despite there being a few things to do. Nothing that gives out prize money anyway.

Anyway, here's the final colosseum of the game. It can be pretty tough, but it also isn't because our team is also pretty tough.

That is a big rear end fan.

Colosseum Round 1

Since we won't be hearing the Colosseum battle themes again, might as well put them in as we fight some tough battles.

Uh, kinda. Colosseum's foils will still pop up, but hey, it's all good exp.

Mawuh's starting to lose his sight here in his early 50s. I won't blame him.

Since the game is still deathly allergic to evolved Pokemon and good movesets for regular trainers, there's not much to show here. Also because we're going over 100 battles in today's update, I do want to get through them kinda quick.

Miror B.'s Theme

Especially since the fourth battle in this colosseum is against the Cipher Admins! Their teams are fairly similar to when we faced them in Realgam Tower, but some have a fair few differences to show. This is your last opportunity to snag their respective Shadow Pokemon, since going through the colosseum to fight them again takes forever as you'll soon see.

His strategy of Swift Swim remains pure and true, but I just can't believe the developers didn't make the AI check if they were gonna use the same weather move in a turn.

Oh hey look another Ludicolo, WHAT ARE THE ODDS?

All of our postgame opponents are gonna use items, so it can make some fights tricky.

Because while I might be slightly clowning him, Ludicolo in the rain is not an opponent to sleep on.

Let's stop these shenanigans.

Ah no don't do that.

And that's it for Miror B. in this game. May we see this wonderful, beautiful man again.

Before you ask, no, that's not the Amulet Coin, it doesn't work on colosseums. Also, yes, there are still more TMs to get, quite frightening really, hope none of them are good. This one is Taunt, so it isn't.

There are too many emails in this postgame.

Colosseum Round 2

Onto the second set, what dastardly strategies will our opponents use?

Helping Hand... Fake Out? Well okay.

Here's the main attraction.

GUESS WHAT HIS STRATEGY IS

Well that's a lot of damage being thrown around.

Maybe I should get a few of those...

Relatively simple fight, so we're halfway done with this place!

Oh goody, Skill Swap. At least give me a Shadow Slakoth!!!

Thanks for the info, Nett.

Colosseum Semi-Final

Wahey, that's one way to screw up a strategy completely unintentionally.

Couldn't prevent that though.

Oh stop

Venus remains the same, annoyingly, but she does use different Pokemon more or less everytime. Cause everything can learn fuckin Attract.

Yet again, pairing Mawuh with Garchump is not the best idea. And I do it anyway.

Man that's satisfying. At least Venus won't be dealing loads of damage to you any time soon.

What also helped was not being immobilized, which is also a good time. Seriously gently caress Attract, thankfully it's pretty uncommon.

Rest! Only one TM left, what are the chances it's a really good one that a team member really could've used?

Honestly, spoilers! But that's not a good sign, as well as another meh Shadow Pokemon to add to the pile.

Cipher Admin Final Round

This never gets old.

Some weird Dig choices reveal themselves when we have Umbreon out. Anyway, here's the final Admin, since Nascour and Evice can be rematched if you return to Realgam Colosseum, though there's no reward for it aside from their Shadow Pokemon.

Pretty similar to last time, except now it's really hard to not use Electric moves. Thankfully Lightningrod doesn't nullify Electric moves just yet, so it's not a big deal.

Well that could've gone better.

I'm so glad I have Umbreon (and Revival Herbs!), Gyarados is no joke and I even survive the Earthquake that it of course has.

That's the trickiest part of his team down, his Crobat ain't doing much by itself.

Alright, that's all four sets. We're done here, right?

Oh yeah, here's Dragon Claw. Garchump could've used this MUCH earlier, but Dragonbreath's paralysis was actually kinda nice so I don't mind. Still sucks how late this TM is.

jk, we're still not done just yet, there's a fifth set to the Deep Colosseum, so we can finally face off the Deep King.

The Pokemon we fight are really weak, so I dunno why they bothered. Should've just had the Deep King challenge us after Ein, that would've been more interesting.

VS Deep King Agnol

Been a while since we had a good ol' fight. Agnol has some high levels, the highest in the main game, in fact, so he might be a nasty surprise. Still, our team is at full health and raring to go. Shedinja is as notable as always, since you should always have a Shedinja answer.

Depending on your team comp, the sheer level difference might be enough, but his Pokemon aren't exactly stat champions, so you should be alright.

Cheeky bit of back and forth.

Love this little gem gremlin, but man they're annoying to fight.

I completely forgot about the Light Screen, anyway here's a strong Pokemon and a Shadow Pokemon.

It can be nasty to fight, so we're gonna go after it. Mawuh learned Ice Beam at level 53, but there's a lot of footage I half-heartedly trawled through, so I didn't catch it. Oh well!

I used Thunder Wave a lot less in this game than I thought I would. Good.

Net Balls are great.

Shuckle, 190 catch rate (100%, full health, paralyzed, Net Ball), starting moves: Bide, Rest, Encore, Shadow Rush/Safeguard

Alright, this is your last chance to actually use a cool Shadow Pokemon, it's the last usable one. Shuckle has basically zero offensive presence, but it can very easily stay out on the field forever and not die with its amazing defenses. That's not hugely effective in Doubles, admittedly, but you can make it work in the postgame modes that offer single battles. It can't Toxic stall Poison and Steel types though, so its options are very limited against them since it can't set up Spikes. It gets a few attacking moves, but they're practically useless on it, so no point using them. It does the stall thing well, but its low HP kinda sucks, so it doesn't do it brilliantly. Least it won't faint immediately.

With that, another Shadow Pokemon is ours. Seriously now, what else is there to do?

There's a few more Shadow Pokemon to purify, so we can then challenge...

Mt. Battle

This place.

This game is a bit slow due to animations always being on and 3D models doing their thing, but it's fine, since it looks cool and fun to see all these critters in the next dimension. Mt. Battle makes all of this very boring, since even when I use Pokemon around the level of the opponents, none of them were that interesting, until you get to the last 7 or so fights. Seriously, I can't remember anything that really went down in this place, which is a shame, since it took me EIGHT HOURS.

Battles did get a little tricky since I used a Shadow Pokemon for 4 battles regardless if it had a good match up or not, with Umbreoff always being in the first slot. But I never really felt like I was in much trouble and didn't even use any items until I was 90 battles in.

So I'm gonna be slightly focusing on the Area Leaders and nothing more, otherwise I'll die of boredom trying to take these screenshots. However, Mt. Battle has some positives compared to other battle facilities, meaning it's not part of the worst aspect of this franchise (mostly).

The rewards are incredibly pitiful, but grindable, so it's something.

Unlike most other battle facilities, it really feels like you're climbing a volcano! Sure, it's not realistic, but who cares, a change of scenery does wonders when you're making the player fight weak and uninteresting battles again and again.

I suppose that is one positive, you're not constrained to level, you can use items, and you can use all six Pokemon. So it does make this place super easy, but it also means I'm not stressing about being kicked back to start. The checkpoints are really nice also.

Oh yeah, that's some damage I'm doing with Hayato Jin. (There's too many nicknames in too short a time for me to credit everyone individually, since I thought I'd be featuring the Pokemon a lot more, sorry!)

Cool. I forget SmellingSalt is a move sometimes.

Alright, another 20 battles down, so onto the next batch. As you can see with the utter poo poo I'm using, this place isn't hard to get through.

Don't you just love Comet Punch? Oof that damage.

The flinch chance of Bite was way more useful than the perfect accuracy of Faint Attack. Confuse Ray will also be incredibly useful when the fights get so difficult the only way I win is when the opponent hits themselves. Sometimes multiple times! Good fun.

Oh, we're halway there.

I am liking the Pokemon I'm using, but due to them being Shadow Pokemon they usually have one or two moves to begin with and like hell I'm using TMs on them. So it does make fights pretty samey.

Though maybe the facility should change its backgrounds a bit more often.

The levels of the opponents are slowly crawling up, but it means we can use some doggies no problem. It's fun using a lot of different stuff and facing some crazy creatures we don't see much.

When you have a Suicune, there's not really much else to do but sweep.

Next five. I don't think we can even afford the Psychic TM yet, which is some bullshit.

Now it really feels like we're getting somewhere. This is a cool place to do battling. Unfortunately it's the last background until the end of the facility, so while it's cool now, it gets really samey after 39 battles.

Still, Umbreoff is doing fine, he's getting good experience and EVs from this.

Towards the end, the Area Leaders drop their single type and expand to a theme of, uh, something.

Hey, I don't want any of that poo poo here.

There really hasn't been much to go over. I have yet to use any items, or have lost in any way. I don't even think Umbreoff has fainted yet.

The levels are getting pretty good, so let's face another Area Leader.

You know what, I don't fancy dealing with Sand Veil, can I just give up now?

A tricky trainer, but not too bad. Area Leaders always have 5 Pokemon, though regular trainers start at 2 and currently have 4 each, which makes battles a lot longer. Each Area now takes me around an hour each to finish, whereas I did Area 1-2 in the same amount of time (animations yo).

The final five is a strong bunch. We're gonna need that. And yes, we're still up in the clouds. It's wearing a bit thin. But don't worry, I did Mt. Battle over the course of the game, I'm not doing it all at once, I'm not that crazy.

Let's see how our team hold up.

That describes them perfectly.

Here's the final Area Leader. What kind of crazy team does he have?

Ah, a Gen 5 theme, an interesting idea.

Area 10 is when poo poo actually gets real. There might've been a couple of tricky fights here and there, but this is where the big stuff is.

Such as Johto and Hoenn starters. This facility caps at level 60, so all the Pokemon we'll face are gonna be that strong from here out. They're all evolved and have nasty movesets, so it was a hell of a time to get through there. I guess I could show you, but if an update goes past 300 images then your crappy internet won't like it. It's what you get for living in America.

Starting at battle 95, you'll be facing 5 Pokemon each, so these battles get LONG. It's a test of endurance more than anything.

But it goes fairly well, which means...

We've reached the summit for battle 100.

Here's the main reason to actually do this facility in the story: the third and final Time Flute. ...you, uh, don't get anything else, so this will have to do.

Only one fight left, how hard could it be?

VS Mt.BtlMaster Somek

It's gonna be one of those battles, huh? Usually not a problem, but uh, pray tell, dear viewer, who on my team is able to take two Earthquakes? The answer is only Umbreoff and Mootwo, which puts me in quite a hazardous position.

That doesn't help, but at least Claydol is down.

Eh, you know what, let's try this again.

You see, as easy as that. Dunno why you would find this fight hard.

That's just a beautiful bonus.

The Crobat isn't an issue, but man this Gligar is a bitch. I think it would've been easy enough to handle, Earthquake spam notwithstanding, buuuuuut...

Now Flygon comes out. I think you know what happens next.

Okay, who can survive two STAB Earthquakes?

Not Heracles, since Gligar stops using Earthquake to use Aerial Ace.

Oh hey, Mootwo does. Enoby doesn't survive any hit, so he won't be used in this fight, though he was useful earlier (honest!)

Flygon needed to go down since it was the biggest problem, but that just meant another even bigger problem could take its place. Great.

So what's my plan to win against these two Pokemon?

If you answered stall the Gligar out of Earthquake PP and make Gyarados hit itself, then you'd be right. I can't do anything else, since all they're doing is using Earthquake and nothing else. Ain't fighting against that strategy great?

Oh hey my plan worked just before I ran out of revives. Phew.

...as easy as... oh never mind.

Congratulations! But don't be content with this. Don't neglect your training! Would you like to have our ABRA TELEPORT you back to the registration counter? Okay, you got it!

Well that was fun. What can we do with all our Pokecoupons? Uh, well, we can buy a TM. I don't need any of these TMs, so I think I'll just leave the amount as is. Next time, it's the last few things we can do in this game, it's really not a lot, so maybe I need to think of something else to pad it out...

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 10, 2018

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Somek is Hulk Hogan.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Oh, Deep King's gimmick is unique dual typed pokemon.
That's cute

I never did the deep colosseum for whatever reason. I think the levels were a bit too high and I didn't want to bother using other pokemon or grinding.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Crosspeice posted:

Unlike most other battle facilities, it really feels like you're climbing a volcano! Sure, it's not realistic, but who cares, a change of scenery does wonders when you're making the player fight weak and uninteresting battles again and again.
This is mostly why I like Mt. Battle more than all the other battle areas. Yeah, it definitely feels long and same-y after a while, but you're climbing a volcano as you battle, and you can actually see the progress you're making! Visuals really make all the difference.

quote:

We've reached the summit for battle 100.

Oh yeah, and the final battle of Mt. Battle takes place in the lava-filled caldera of an active volcano. Welcome to Orre, please leave your sanity at the door.:allears:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Jesus, eight hours? :psyduck: On a home console, not a handheld? :psypop: That takes dedication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Deep Colosseum is fun, I like getting to rematch the bosses with updated teams. The themes are the same, so it feels like the same characters even though it's not quite the same fight. You have a good point that it would be very tedious to retry if you missed a shadow pokemon for the second time... there are good reasons people tend to reset instead.

It would definitely be better if they used something other than TMs for prizes, though; giving you TMs in the postgame is just cruel. Though I think every game's TM availability has had irritating or questionable aspects, this and XD do seem worse than usual.

The biggest problem with Mt Battle is definitely that you can't turn off or speed up the animations in any way. The later levels do have some interesting fights, but it's not really enough to make up for how tedious the early ones are honestly.

You also have to do it all in one go with the same team if you want to get Earth Ribbons on them, though I suspect most players don't care about those.

There's also the Battle Mode version, which has completely different pokemon for you to face (in both singles and doubles version), that fixes everything's level to the highest among your team, and has continue mechanics (which I think come from Stadium?). That mode gives better coupon rewards, and the first time you complete it it gives you Ho-oh. (Yes, this means if you want everything you have to do Mt Battle twice! So much fun. Are we having fun?)

I think I prefer Colosseum's incarnation of Mt Battle to XD's, though, such as they are. Although XD is better about coupon rewards and makes it less tedious to get, say, the berries.

(I was interested to see that it doesn't seem to penalise you with less coupons for using legendaries in the ingame version; for some reason I'd thought that applied to every version of Mt Battle. Guess it's just Battle Mode, and maybe XD's version.)

• Locked thread