Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I accidentally bought too much gruyere. What's an easy way to use up gruyere?

French onion soup (or just about any savory soup), fondue if you have some other cheeses about, quiche, melty-cheese-type sandwiches/cheeseburgers, put it on garlic bread, potatoes au gratin, breakfast strata (not the fancy ones, though you could, I'm talking about the "tear up chunks of French bread" kind, sub it in for cheddar), cheese plate + friends to help you eat it.

I love gruyere, especially the really aged stuff. I'll grate it on anything that looks like it could use some cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Gougeres.
https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/alain-ducasses-gougeres

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

Good crackers, a knife, and time

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

DasNeonLicht posted:

Friends and wine recommended but optional.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anything firmness/moisture level of cheddar or firmer freezes well. Wax paper then foil then zip bag prevents freezer burn.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Mac and cheese of course.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Just eat it. Every time you open the fridge cut a chunk of Gruyere off and eat it as is.
drat, now I want Gruyere.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DasNeonLicht posted:

And Branstons pickle

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What are some unsweetened whiskey-based cocktails?

Unsweetened as in no sugar, fruit juice, or similar, and no substitutions in something like an old fashioned or whiskey sour with stevia or whatever.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Boulevardier, Manhattan, black Manhattan.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

PRADA SLUT posted:

Unsweetened as in no sugar, fruit juice, or similar, and no substitutions in something like an old fashioned or whiskey sour with stevia or whatever.

What you want is a rickey — the perfect summertime quencher.

Lime juice is technically fruit juice, I guess, but I just looked it up, and I'm surprised at just how little sugar it contains.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
OK, I am about to type a sentence that is new to the English language:

How do I clean cat pee out of a cast-iron pan?

I will explain: my toddler closed the door to the basement where the litterbox is, and instead of meowing or something, my geriatric cat calmly walked over to the stove and peed in the cast-iron pan in protest.

Now, being a good cast-iron pan owner, how do I balance proper care and feeding of the pan (i.e. thou shalt not touch thy pan with soap) with proper hygiene (i.e. ew ew ew get it off get it off)? Do I have to just scrub the living poo poo out of it with soap and steel wool and the whole nine yards, and then re-temper the pan with the oil and the oven and so on?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Funktor posted:

I will explain: my toddler closed the door to the basement where the litterbox is, and instead of meowing or something, my geriatric cat calmly walked over to the stove and peed in the cast-iron pan in protest.

Now, being a good cast-iron pan owner, how do I balance proper care and feeding of the pan (i.e. thou shalt not touch thy pan with soap) with proper hygiene (i.e. ew ew ew get it off get it off)? Do I have to just scrub the living poo poo out of it with soap and steel wool and the whole nine yards, and then re-temper the pan with the oil and the oven and so on?

Scrub it but don't stress too much about the seasoning. The old adage of not washing with soap is based on the days when soap was made with lye. You should probably be washing it with soap every time. At least, it won't hurt anything to do so.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Boulevardier, Manhattan, black Manhattan.
Diamondback, unless applejack counts as fruit juice.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Scrub it but don't stress too much about the seasoning. The old adage of not washing with soap is based on the days when soap was made with lye. You should probably be washing it with soap every time. At least, it won't hurt anything to do so.

I thought the worry was that the (porous) iron could absorb soap flavor?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Funktor posted:

Nah

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I would be way more worried about it absorbing ammoniac cat piss

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Funktor posted:

SOS pad followed by soap and water and re-season. It's mostly a mental thing. I have a cast iron skillet that was used to feed chickens, and if you know anything about chickens you know that's gross. I washed it, stripped it bare and re-seasoned. Good as new.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Funktor posted:

You cook with it. Does it taste like every meal you've cooked in it? Does it even impart the flavor of the last meal you cooked in it, other than cat piss?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Good point. I'll pick up SOS pads tomorrow and get to work.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

PRADA SLUT posted:

A cocktail generally has three to five ingredients, at least one of which is going to be sweet. (Unsweetened) Highballs/spitzes are the way to go, either the rickey someone else mentioned or booze + unsweetened sparkling water of choice.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
edit; stumped the forum.

wormil fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 11, 2018

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Does whisky, ice and soda water count as a cocktail? I'm sure I've heard that's a thing.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Outrail posted:

Does whisky, ice and soda water count as a cocktail? I'm sure I've heard that's a thing.

It's not a proper cocktail like a Manhattan or a Negroni, but broadly speaking, you could call it one. If you want to be precise, like Moller mentioned, you'd call it a highball.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anyone have some go-tos for a good bar for backpacking etc. Vegetarian preferred, doesn't need to last too long. soft preferred as it's for the homeless.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

feedmegin posted:

And Branstons pickle

With Gruyère? Are you some kind of savage? Maybe I could go for cornichons, or even onions, but not Branstons. That is just wrong.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Oh no not a ploughman's lunch oh the savagery.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I once had branstons with parmesan .

As Samuel Pepys would have had it.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’ve just bought a very overpriced imported jar of Branson’s pickle so I can relive my childhood of cheese and pickle sandwiches.
Branstons and Parmesan sounds divine.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
Is there a truffle thread? I haven’t seen one, and I’m looking into getting back into alcohol candy. If not; any tips on making good ganache? I think I got it to harden right exactly once.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SubG posted:

Oh no not a ploughman's lunch oh the savagery.

Ploughman’s is either Cheddar or Stilton. All other cheeses are wholly inappropriate.

As someone who used to live very close to Cheddar Gorge, I am only grudgingly accepting the Stilton.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I had a Wookey Hole cheddar that may have been the finest cheese to grace my palate. You only needed a few grains if putting it on your beans on toast, it was glorious.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Ploughman’s is either Cheddar or Stilton. All other cheeses are wholly inappropriate.

As someone who used to live very close to Cheddar Gorge, I am only grudgingly accepting the Stilton.
This is a stupid gimmick. It's dumb in general, and even sillier applied to the ploughman's, which is a marketing-based reincarnation of a meal eaten since antiquity. The latter predates the existence of either of the cheeses you mention, and the former is explicitly disinterested in them (the term was popularised first by pubs and then by cheesemakers to promote re-adoption of the traditional pub meal after it fell into disuse due to rationing in the Second World War).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I bought a jar of what I thought was spicy pepper paste, but apparently is a pepper "pickle"??

It looks kind of like a very dry pepper paste, almost like they took dried peppers and added just a tiny bit of oil to the mixture.

Also it has ash in it according to the ingredients?

Wondering what I should use it for.

Pics:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Annath posted:

the 'ash' is what's left behind when all the calories are burned off during caloric content testing. it's just minerals and whatever's left over.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Looks like it's mostly dried spices - I'd just use it anywhere you'd normally use a blend of dried chilis and you're up for a little numbing. Definitely recommend it in stir fries, especially of greens or green beans, or in mapo tofu. Would also be delicious on chicken wings.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SubG posted:

This is a stupid gimmick. It's dumb in general, and even sillier applied to the ploughman's, which is a marketing-based reincarnation of a meal eaten since antiquity. The latter predates the existence of either of the cheeses you mention, and the former is explicitly disinterested in them (the term was popularised first by pubs and then by cheesemakers to promote re-adoption of the traditional pub meal after it fell into disuse due to rationing in the Second World War).

I really do hate it when you bring facts in to break my well-worn and time-honoured prejudices.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Scientastic posted:

I really do hate it when you bring facts in to break my well-worn and time-honoured prejudices.
That's seems to be one of the primary functions of food history. I think my favourite example of this is the bagel. I still have a preference for what I grew up thinking of as a `traditional' bagel---hand rolled, boiled in malted water, baked on bagel boards, and so on. Turns out that this `tradition' was in fact invented as a reaction to mass-produced bagels, before which nobody (to within rounding error) had really given much of a poo poo about bagels (even though they'd been around for centuries).

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Annath posted:

So I bought a jar of what I thought was spicy pepper paste, but apparently is a pepper "pickle"??

It looks kind of like a very dry pepper paste, almost like they took dried peppers and added just a tiny bit of oil to the mixture.

Wondering what I should use it for.

Pics:

'Chilly'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Outrail posted:

'Chilly'

It was a pretty legit Indian/SE Asian supermarket :v: