Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Kimoa Kid posted:

This one made me cry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Right thread

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
This is a new low

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This is the happiest any post has ever made me on this forum

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

lmao

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

:bisonyes:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This is one of my favorite memes too

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Now that this discussion has reached it's zenith, please refrain from posting memes that are not football related in here, thanks.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

This is both incredible and most definitely the right thread at the same time

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

lmao

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Two bloody great handfuls
Pillbug
dammit

Pixelponny fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 1, 2018

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
https://twitter.com/RochdaleHerald/status/1013854154719203328

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Hot take - Neymar's shithousery is great in fact

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/07/he-annoying-genius-who-makes-the-world-cup-worth-watching/564443/

quote:

For all those who watch him, this moment represents a very specific kind of kinetic question mark. Because when Neymar touches the ball, everything is possible. He might engage in an ill-advised assault on three defenders—and though he’ll fail frequently, occasionally he’ll also prevail. He might deploy one of the many showboating tricks he invented, like the rainbow ball he flicked over the head of a Costa Rican defender.

Neymar’s trickery deserves absolution, because it is the very source of his greatness. A mind that’s always thinking of how to deceive a defender is also always thinking about how to deceive a referee. Cunning is his stock and trade. In this way, the “adolescent” description fits. He is like the teen who finds an artful and improbable excuse; he is Ferris Bueller racing home. But unlike his opponents, who wish to inflict pain, his sins are essentially victimless—especially since this tournament has introduced video assistant referees, with his antics constantly being reviewed by replay. (Video assistant referees would have caught Ferris Bueller before the end of second period.)

And perhaps a great World Cup needs a villain for everyone to rally against. Still, rather than joining a moral panic against Neymar, I recommend appreciating his gamesmanship, his deceitfulness, even his selfishness—since Neymar aims to achieve something more than a result; he wants to prove himself the worthy heir to a great tradition.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
That text must have been written by an American.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Neymar invented the rainbow flick lmao

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I remember this flick from the 2002 WC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5pJxvQK4Xg

Local sport station had a competition where you could send in your own clip and win something. I practiced a couple of days and finally got it. Felt great.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Xabi posted:

That text must have been written by an American.
I'm stunned it wasn't written by Billy Haisley.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That guy wrote a book in 2009 and thinks Neymar invented the rainbow?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013M31GE/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm stunned it wasn't written by Billy Haisley.

did he get fired during the most recent round of Univision layoffs?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

it's stock-in-trade ffs

also, cursed video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlqopbdERiE

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

did he get fired during the most recent round of Univision layoffs?

No, only the good writers took buyouts.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
there is a laudrup compilation i saw years ago where he does a rainbow flick over the defense for an assist and i've never been able to find it again

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Jose posted:

there is a laudrup compilation i saw years ago where he does a rainbow flick over the defense for an assist and i've never been able to find it again

Which Laudrup they were both pretty good. There's a video that is like ten minutes of Michael's through balls and it loving owns

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Her Dryer posted:

Which Laudrup they were both pretty good. There's a video that is like ten minutes of Michael's through balls and it loving owns

Brian Laudrup was good Michael Laudrup was loving brilliant.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk8UP5KH4XQ/

Puns. Instagram. "It's coming home." This has it all.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/jul/07/gareth-southgate-science-rockets-england-towards-moon-world-cup-semi-final

quote:

The red and white train just keeps rolling along. In the city where Russia’s space programme shot for the moon, England’s footballers have now entered their own near-earth orbit. There they go now, a little giddy but still upright, out there floating in their tin can, high above the world.

It has been a month and a day in Russia, all the way from the fly pits of Volgograd, to Kaliningrad on the Baltic, and now on to Samara, a city lodged in the humid armpit of the south-east. But after Wembley in ’66 and Turin more than a quarter of a century ago, a 2-0 defeat of Sweden means England will now decamp to the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow to play Croatia for a place in a World Cup final.

Before then there is time to take a breath and drink it all in. Because these are also the moments that imprint themselves and remain intact, that moth-eaten brocade of stories and heroes that sport likes to save to the deep hard drive.

Did you see the England fans? They came by rail and minibus, with nowhere to stay, with rooms scrounged and airport benches staked out – and with a Gareth Southgate impersonator in their mix too, in full waistcoat and Gareth ’do, high-fived and hugged as they bounced and gurgled and sang the same old songs all over again.

Did you see Jordan Pickford flying like a tumbler, punching the air with pre-celebration at each fine save? Did you see the players at the end, caught in wide-screen close‑up, faces glowing with a rare kind of joy? This is a team that has simply been allowed to show its best side, and which has somehow evaded that entitled glower of some more illustrious predecessors.

There was Kyle Walker clapping and laughing and doing silly dances. And Harry Maguire who has the air of a man who might turn up to a training camp carrying his belongings in a bin bag, if only because he did once turn up to a training camp carrying his belongings in a bin bag.

Did you see the curves of the Samara Arena, a sleek new stadium with a pronounced resemblance to the Millennium Dome – albeit more an evil Millennium Dome, the one that will later hatch into an alien egg? This is one of ours now, a stadium that will, like it or not, enter England tournament lore.

There were two things worth saying about England’s performance. First, the set‑piece mastery continues. Ashley Young’s routine is pretty easy to read now, although doing anything about it is a different story. He has an excellent technique, using the top of his foot to send the ball in a hard, flat, dipping arc.

In the first half the ball found Maguire, leaping forward and thunking it out of the sweet spot down and into the corner. When Maguire heads it like that you feel there should be a suitable audio effect superimposed, the sound of a large Victorian wardrobe falling over or a mortar gun pounding the cliffs at Iwo Jima.

It was also a beautiful two‑touch goal, so ludicrously sweet and pared back it resembled the kind of goal you might score a hundred times a day in a 20-year-old computer game.

Sensible Soccer: this is what England have played in Russia, a world where if you press B and hold down A, then waggle your stick at just the right moment the same thing just keeps on happening over and over again.

Can they upgrade the features from here, make it more intuitive? This is the second thing about England. We knew they were organised and smart and unified. But they were actually good, too.

Not at first. The game started scrappily. But 10 minutes after half‑time England were suddenly all over Sweden, pulling them from side to side and combining with real urgency. It isn’t fanciful to suggest they had a bit of Manchester City’s about them in those best moments, moving the ball wide, looking for overloads, ready to switch it if the space opens.

This is where Dele Alli’s goal came from, Young pulled out wide on the left repeatedly, Sweden’s defence quivering and groaning at its limits like a world’s strongest man contestant about to drop his sack of flour. The ball was switched, Lingard crossed, Alli headed in. It will do him a great deal of good.

A last word on Gareth – yes, just Gareth – also known as Gal and Sir Nord of the Order of the Waistcoat, who has begun to radiate a kind sporting ur-power, that luminous authority of a coach in his sweetest moment, entirely in control of the elements around him.

Taking England this far is an admirable achievement for a man who despite his lack of experience has shown a ruthless will and a forensic ability to work the smallest details.

Sport can change so quickly. But right now there is a fair case that, judged on grams of talent versus heights reached, Southgate has done as much in the job as any of his predecessors.

His triumph has been to create that rarest of things with England, an actual team culture. And while England have faced opponents of lower quality in Russia than those in the knockout stage of Italia 90, there is also no Charlton or Gascoigne in this team and no home advantage.

Whatever happens from here we will always have the pleasure of watching this process develop, the decency of Southgate’s motives and his ideals on how his team should prepare and present themselves. It has been surprising at first, then admirable, then encouraging. For the first time in Samara it just felt like a blast.

ffs

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm not clicking that link, but it's Barney isn't it

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Hard to get mad when Ronay clearly has it's coming home fever. The Victorian wardrobe line was funny though.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Parity warning posted:

In the first half the ball found Maguire, leaping forward and thunking it out of the sweet spot down and into the corner. When Maguire heads it like that you feel there should be a suitable audio effect superimposed, the sound of a large Victorian wardrobe falling over or a mortar gun pounding the cliffs at Iwo Jima.

This is a fantastic line, I don't get why you guys hate Barney Ronay so much. He's a good writer.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peanut- posted:

This is a fantastic line, I don't get why you guys hate Barney Ronay so much. He's a good writer.

Ronay's problem is he also writes like this for a horrible 0-0 draw dead rubber, trying to add an air of occasion that simply isn't there, so it just comes across as self masturbatory word salad.

Not too much wrong with him flexing his pen for England's best World Cup showing in nearly 30 years though.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

peanut- posted:

a lot of his prose is awkward and over-elaborate, the writing equivalent of the Spanish actuación last week in the face of Russia’s new Iron Curtain, spinning and twirling, going everywhere yet nowhere, a victim of its own dogma

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

a lot of his prose is awkward and over-elaborate, the writing equivalent of the Spanish actuación last week in the face of Russia’s new Iron Curtain, spinning and twirling, going everywhere yet nowhere, a victim of its own dogma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you think Barney Rooney is a good writer, you don't read enough.