Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the socially liberal, fiscally conservative crowd will pull the GOP lever every loving time because you've got a be a loving ghoul at this point to still think conservative fiscal policy isn't a disaster

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Proud Christian Mom posted:

"socially liberal, fiscally conservative"

ah, yes, the "the problems are bad, but their causes are very very good" crowd which everyone knows is crucial to winning an election

like, poo poo, didn't we *just* prove that "move right a little and grab those wavering "R" votes" is a recipe for disaster because it alienates the democratic base and drives away the felt/nonvoters, Godholio? what is the plan here aside from "hey, here's an idea for the left to start winning: stop complaining and let the republicans do and say whatever they want"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

oh word?

friendly fyi acting like you speak from authority and assuming your preferences and experiences are universal is part of that privilege thing you don't believe in.

I never said I don't believe it, and this is why I usually don't bother responding to you. You've got this bad habit of hearing/reading what you want, no matter how many times we've discussed this EXACT point.

I speak for myself. I speak from EXACTLY the amount of authority that I described. Myself and a bunch of people I know that feel the same way. I don't give a gently caress if you agree, that's not required or even desired.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Operation is now under way to SCUBA the kids out.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44755452

Goddamn if successful it will be one of if not the greatest rescue op ever done. I’d argue it’s up there with Apollo 13 in terms of sheer complexity and at least those were trained astronauts. I don’t have my hopes up. :(

Resurrecting from last page because it's gonna be buried by people bickering about :decorum:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Anyone else want to continue this argument?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Bourbon is better then scotch. :colbert:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

BigDave posted:

Bourbon is better then scotch. :colbert:

Pity the storage buildings aren't better :(

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

orange juche posted:

Resurrecting from last page because it's gonna be buried by people bickering about :decorum:

Rare occasion where thoughts and prayers are appropriate, given its all most of us can do to help.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
At least they're not taking Elon Musk seriously.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Operation is now under way to SCUBA the kids out.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44755452

Goddamn if successful it will be one of if not the greatest rescue op ever done. I’d argue it’s up there with Apollo 13 in terms of sheer complexity and at least those were trained astronauts. I don’t have my hopes up. :(

If they can get a single kid past the choke point alive, I'd call it a success right there.

A 15-inch squeeze uphill underwater in silt-covered darkness is hard enough for a trained diver. But these kids don't even know how to swim.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

It's horrifying to me and I do know how to swim. Luckily they're smaller I guess? That's....something?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

It's horrifying to me and I do know how to swim. Luckily they're smaller I guess? That's....something?

They’re also malnourished.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

And also driven by mortal fear.

The entire operation will take at LEAST 12 hours.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I hope there are no more deaths rescuer or otherwise

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I hope there are no more deaths rescuer or otherwise

I really don't want to read up on it anymore until I get up tomorrow. I'm sick of bad news

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The Verge: Elon Musk says SpaceX is building a ‘kid-sized submarine’ to rescue trapped soccer team.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/7/17544452/elon-musk-spacex-thailand-cave-soccer-team-kid-sized-submarine-rescue

Never fear, Musk has moved on to a sub from his bouncy castle tube idea I caught in passing yesterday.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

gently caress. I'm being dead loving serious here, id the rescue op gets those kids out alive, I'd reconsider my atheism, because it will take devine intervention to get them all out.

The most heartbreaking thing that I thought of is that the rescuers arw going to have to triage the kids to determine the order of rescue. Can you imagine being in that situation? Not only do you have all that technical poo poo to get to them, but now you have to decide the order of execution, because in reality, that's what you are doing. gently caress.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

EBB posted:

oh gently caress it my butthole is twinging from cave diving videos so you get this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLmD_69pXpk

Goddamn it I hated this when I first saw it and it spoiled with age.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

If there is anything that humanity has taught me, is that we are amazingly fragile and simultaneousy resilient creatures.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm almost afraid of saying this, but I really, really hope that a kid doesn't die and block the tunnel.

gently caress I picked the wrong time to stop drinking. I hate dark water and I hate caves, this whole thing is hitting all of my phobias. This will either be the greatest of triumphs or the greatest of tragedies.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

EBB posted:

oh gently caress it my butthole is twinging from cave diving videos so you get this

:d2a:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Those kids are gonna die. You can’t go from don’t know how to swim and haven’t eaten in over a week to cave diver just like that.

They’re so, so, so, very hosed.

Maybe a few will survive but I doubt it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

no but I haven't been hit with a probation for a long time even with poor trolling so I desire a 6er

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The Verge: Elon Musk says SpaceX is building a ‘kid-sized submarine’ to rescue trapped soccer team.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/7/17544452/elon-musk-spacex-thailand-cave-soccer-team-kid-sized-submarine-rescue

Never fear, Musk has moved on to a sub from his bouncy castle tube idea I caught in passing yesterday.

Wait, I have to be misunderstanding this, his plan to get the kids through a tunnel (that's difficult to navigate by professionals) is to put the kids in a high-tech ziplock bag and drag them out? Hell, his hamster tube made more sense.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

quote:

The divers got the green light after an Australian doctor assessed the health of the boys last night and the waters had receded to such a degree that a large section of the roughly 3-mile way out was walkable, Osatanakorn said

:ohdear:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

how do you take kids loving three miles underground and not stop and wonder whether you maybe shouldn't be doing this?????

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

how do you take kids loving three miles underground and not stop and wonder whether you maybe shouldn't be doing this?????

They weren't that far in, but as the floodwaters cut off their egress they had to just go to higher ground.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
People constantly forget the caves are three dimensional.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

well maybe there will be some news in about ten hours. christ.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

EBB posted:

You... Monster

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The full details of the release preceding the start of the rescue were pretty :mensch: though. They were all "the kids are prepared mentally, morally and physically, and the conditions are excellent" or something like that... Which is a bit rich considering the kids can't swim, are still malnourished with atrophied muscles, and the water level receded Somewhat

Hell, I'm terrified.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wasabi the J posted:

I think they forget they're 2 dimensional sometimes

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The full details of the release preceding the start of the rescue were pretty :mensch: though. They were all "the kids are prepared mentally, morally and physically, and the conditions are excellent" or something like that... Which is a bit rich considering the kids can't swim, are still malnourished with atrophied muscles, and the water level receded Somewhat

Hell, I'm terrified.

Well they're not gonna go "yeah they're probably hosed" but I get your point

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I assume the flooded portion is still long enough to require scuba gear otherwise they wouldn't be talking about it being a scuba rescue.

best of luck kids

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah. I caved a fair amount as a kid and young adult, including caves where you check water levels and weather before you go in or crawl through muck with your head barely above water. People routinely thought I or my family were crazy people because they couldn’t get the dimensions and so on.

Cave-diving? No thanks.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've dived some wrecks before and you see people get completely turned about and freak right the gently caress out in otherwise perfect conditions all the time.

When you don't have that big golden orb in the sky telling you which way is up it can be super disorienting.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Well they're not gonna go "yeah they're probably hosed" but I get your point

Oh yeah, didn't mean that to sound like I was outraged at their disingenuity, I absolutely get how you need to sound optimistic and get everyone on board. Hell, if nothing else, it may do something for morale, I just feel like they kinda... Uh, overshot their target by a decent margin.

It looks like the rain picked up again over there, so with lag time, throughput and all other factors, I'm guessing they're on yet another clock, considering they should reach the kids in an hour or two and then have another 5 hours minimum back out.

I'm sending whatever spiritual support I can muster from my hospital room where my best friend "Artromot" is juggling around my leg repeatedly

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

golden bubble posted:

If they can get a single kid past the choke point alive, I'd call it a success right there.

A 15-inch squeeze uphill underwater in silt-covered darkness is hard enough for a trained diver. But these kids don't even know how to swim.

This picture is misleading. It's not just one point that is hosed like this. It's the whole drat trip.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh yeah, didn't mean that to sound like I was outraged at their disingenuity, I absolutely get how you need to sound optimistic and get everyone on board. Hell, if nothing else, it may do something for morale, I just feel like they kinda... Uh, overshot their target by a decent margin.

It looks like the rain picked up again over there, so with lag time, throughput and all other factors, I'm guessing they're on yet another clock, considering they should reach the kids in an hour or two and then have another 5 hours minimum back out.

I'm sending whatever spiritual support I can muster from my hospital room where my best friend "Artromot" is juggling around my leg repeatedly

That's a very German meal and I wish I could get good pepperloaf around here. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ded posted:

This picture is misleading. It's not just one point that is hosed like this. It's the whole drat trip.

:staredog:

• Locked thread