Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Tarquinn posted:

Kind of like getting the occasional achievement, though.

Hmm.

Don't remind me. I'm just glad I lucked into getting Outside Context before discovering Guilli’s Planet Modifiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

Okay, ten out of ten games I get the contingency as end game crisis. So very tired of it.

I really want to continue playing ironman games, so modding is out of the question, right? Would save scumming work? At what point will the end game crisis be decided? Can I reload when I get the first end game pop up and eventually get a different one or is that decided way earlier?

I save scummed out of the contingency to get the scourge for the queening achievement. It took more then one try but it worked.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Thanks much, Google/Reddit was unclear on what happens if you hadn't found the associated FE yet.

E: I'm probably still hosed this game because of the assholes in red, but at least it will be in single thousands of digit fleets.
Red guys should be fine, you currently only have a single chokepoint border with a long wiggly path before it hits your empire proper. Make sure to build a fortress on your colonised planet in bashpat and you're golden.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So that fortress system in my game worked so well that the XTR's never actually attacked. Ah well, maybe that fortress system will come in handy one day. I've also takeen the systems I wanted from the birds to my north and now I've colonized almost everything I want to. However, in the NE corner of the map there is a big fanatic purifier group that has eaten two empires already and is now going for a third. One of the FE's has given me the mission of stopping them. I'm confident that I can take them because we're only linked by a narrow road that runs along the galactic core.

Also everyone is a cyborg now! :awesomelon:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

NextSundayA.D. posted:

I save scummed out of the contingency to get the scourge for the queening achievement. It took more then one try but it worked.

All right, I will try that in my next game. Thanks!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I think if you colonise a holy world before meeting the FE, that they will demand that you abandon the colony first and then declare war if you refuse? It used to happen that way previously, back in the days of 1.6/1.7 I had a sector AI that kept colonising it even after I turned off colonisation. It was frustrating because it still used influence to colonise so until I got strong enough and conquered the FE I would get to the minimum amount of influence and then it would go and colonise, taking me back to 0 influence again!!!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HiKaizer posted:

I think if you colonise a holy world before meeting the FE, that they will demand that you abandon the colony first and then declare war if you refuse? It used to happen that way previously, back in the days of 1.6/1.7 I had a sector AI that kept colonising it even after I turned off colonisation. It was frustrating because it still used influence to colonise so until I got strong enough and conquered the FE I would get to the minimum amount of influence and then it would go and colonise, taking me back to 0 influence again!!!
Oh shoot I think you may have just come up with a way to justify multiple sectors. If sectors generated influence pools that can only pay for projects in their sectors you'd have an actual mechanical reason to run more than one.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Splicer posted:

Oh shoot I think you may have just come up with a way to justify multiple sectors. If sectors generated influence pools that can only pay for projects in their sectors you'd have an actual mechanical reason to run more than one.

Well, right now there's a pretty compelling reason to use multiple sectors as separate mineral stockpiles so you can build up massive reserves before going to war. Otherwise I guess the main reason is for far flung holdings that aren't adjacent to the rest of your territory (e.g. you expanded through a warpgate or ate someone in a no-occupation war).

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Relatedly I wish you could set things up to give sectors continual income (mostly to make up for bad planning to be fair). I built a dyson sphere in one corner of my empire and then started finishing the cybrex ringworld in the opposite corner. I made a sector for the ringworld and filled the sections with resource replicators, but kept having to manually control click a bunch to fill up the sector's energy stockpile since it wasn't generating anywhere near enough. If I could just give it 400 energy/mo it would be much less annoying.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

build energy habitats...?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

isndl posted:

Well, right now there's a pretty compelling reason to use multiple sectors as separate mineral stockpiles so you can build up massive reserves before going to war. Otherwise I guess the main reason is for far flung holdings that aren't adjacent to the rest of your territory (e.g. you expanded through a warpgate or ate someone in a no-occupation war).

Yeah the stockpiles alone are compelling enough to do it. The cost is extra leader slots, but i find it's worth it just for the stockpiling.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
It's cool that non-founder species can become rulers of an empire but sometimes I just want to say hi to my butterfly bros. :(

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

isndl posted:

It's cool that non-founder species can become rulers of an empire but sometimes I just want to say hi to my butterfly bros. :(

I made that snailiens migrating flock troll empire/species a monarchy for this reason.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Are there any modders here who can help me with a problem?

I've tried writing a little mod to change the start date of Stellaris, so I can change it to whatever backstory for a particular race I can come up with.

But my first attempts just make the game crash without explanation.

What I did was the part in 00_defines which tells the start_year, and changed it to another number in the mod. When I test this, the game crashes. Why is this game so adamant about starting in 2200? :argh:

Date Rewriter posted:

NGameplay = {

START_YEAR = 999
}

Edit:

OK, I'm dumb. Renaming the modded defines-file solved the problem. It now works both with and without other mods. Excellent!

But now I have a new problem, the mod throws an error when uploading. Any idea why this could happen? I'd like to share this mod, but the workshops steadfastly refuses to accept this one

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 9, 2018

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

HiKaizer posted:

It’s been a while but I think they do that anyway. I feel like all of the FEs give you a chance to be like whoops my bad and back off. The milisos do, anyway.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
trying to finish my determined exterminators game. Is there any way to see how much of the galaxy I control? Neutron sweeping the organics won't really help me much will it

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Gay Horney posted:

trying to finish my determined exterminators game. Is there any way to see how much of the galaxy I control? Neutron sweeping the organics won't really help me much will it

Situation Log -> Victory Tab at the bottom will tell you how close you are to a victory screen

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gay Horney posted:

Domination Victory is based on the total number of habitable planets in the galaxy. if that number were to go down...say, by means of a hypothetical planet-cracking device...you will find yourself closer to the goal.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
But doesn't neutron sweep mean that the planet is still habitable the pops are just dead? so really the only viable option is controlling the planets. Do I need to actually have the planers colonized or is having them in my space enough

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gay Horney posted:

But doesn't neutron sweep mean that the planet is still habitable the pops are just dead? so really the only viable option is controlling the planets. Do I need to actually have the planers colonized or is having them in my space enough

Refit your Colossus to carry the Planet-Cracker instead of the neutron sweep. Shattered Worlds are uninhabitable.

Only colonized worlds count, yes. Which means you may actually have a reason to colonize those lovely 8-14 tile worlds, if you're close enough to the goal.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I colonize every single planet I can and use land clearance on everything under twelve tiles for those sweet, sweet extra 3 tiles. They usually have something great like +4 resources on at least one of them too.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Captain Invictus posted:

I colonize every single planet I can and use land clearance on everything under twelve tiles for those sweet, sweet extra 3 tiles. They usually have something great like +4 resources on at least one of them too.

I think you’re better off building habitats, statistically.

Only real use for small planets is on chokepoints, if you load them with fortresses and a shield generator they take forever to crack.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

My current game had the AI unleash the L-cluster nanoswarm and all of a sudden the habitable worlds count has gone WAY down. I think I might be able to win if I turtle my core systems hard enough.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The l cluster always has a bunch of habitable worlds in it, right?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Only if you encounter the nanite swarms. In the other two conditions I think all the planets are just barren and nothing can be terraformed.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Vengarr posted:

I think you’re better off building habitats, statistically.

This used to be true, but I'm fairly sure that them doubling the influence cost of habitats. Land clearance also is effected by reduced edict cost, so you can get the influence cost down pretty low. So if you've got a lot of planets or are expanding through conquest land clearance is better (spend all those minerals on ships instead of habitats).

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Once you get to that level of mid game / endgame macro, make everything sectors, allow colonies, just forget about it and let it happen - there are more important things to worry about.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Goffer posted:

Once you get to that level of mid game / endgame macro, make everything sectors, allow colonies, just forget about it and let it happen - there are more important things to worry about.

In my current game the contingency activated and I decided to play along with them(as determined exterminators) and declared war against every other empire simultaneously. For a good while it was pretty intense as I'm on two pips above normal difficulty. At this point it's basically a turnbased game as I am conquering so many worlds and controlling so many fleets at once I have to pause every couple months and reorganize for the next move. It's an interesting way to play, and I've almost conquered everything except the contingency before 2500. Interesting type of empire to play as, for sure.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ZypherIM posted:

This used to be true, but I'm fairly sure that them doubling the influence cost of habitats. Land clearance also is effected by reduced edict cost, so you can get the influence cost down pretty low. So if you've got a lot of planets or are expanding through conquest land clearance is better (spend all those minerals on ships instead of habitats).

It's not worth it unless you've got a ton of crappy small planets. One or two tiles per planet can't justify 50-100 influence per hit, not to mention a valuable Ascension Perk slot.

Habitats are pricey up-front, but long-term they're a better solution if you happen to be locked in your own space. If you can go out and conquer nice planets, you don't need Mastery of Nature OR Voidborne. Just steal all the good poo poo and let the other empires breathe vacuum.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The value of influence is partly a function of your income as well as your edict costs. A spiritual empire with ~40% cost reduction might do well from MoN. That reduction does not apply to habitats.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Vengarr posted:

It's not worth it unless you've got a ton of crappy small planets. One or two tiles per planet can't justify 50-100 influence per hit, not to mention a valuable Ascension Perk slot.

Habitats are pricey up-front, but long-term they're a better solution if you happen to be locked in your own space. If you can go out and conquer nice planets, you don't need Mastery of Nature OR Voidborne. Just steal all the good poo poo and let the other empires breathe vacuum.

influence has become a lot more spendable later on with Will to Power unity ambition

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
I play a lot of spiritualists and mastery of nature is one of my favorite early picks. Especially since the game loves to stick me with tons of edge case 14-15 tile planets :argh:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gay Horney posted:

Depends on your goal. If you Neutron Sweep all the organic planets you'll get the cheevo, and be damned close to a conquest victory anyway.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Your available planet-cracker weapons are based on your ethics right? I've only used the bubble-gun myself and didn't think you could change it's 'mode'.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Nickiepoo posted:

Your available planet-cracker weapons are based on your ethics right? I've only used the bubble-gun myself and didn't think you could change it's 'mode'.

Nope, the weapon you start with is based on your choice when you complete the project. But once the project is done you'll get research options for the other weapons (except for the nanobot diffuser if you're not a driven assimilator).

Then once you have those researched just change the design of the colossus and upgrade it at a shipyard and you can use any of the weapons.

In my driven assimilator game I mostly used the nanobot diffuser, but I switched to the planet cracker to get rid of some tiny planets in my borders so I didn't have to colonize them. Then I switched back.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Pretty sure the choice gives you the three options that are most suited to your ethics though right?

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
if you Neutron Sweep a planet, can you terraform it back to habitable?

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

CoolHandMat posted:

Neutron sweeps don't change the planet type.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CoolHandMat posted:

Neutron sweeps don't damage the planet at all. All pops die, but the planet retains it's infrastructure and retains it's habitability and climate typing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

Neutron sweeps don't damage the planet at all. All pops die, but the planet retains it's infrastructure and retains it's habitability and climate typing.

Really, if you colonise the planet, you should get some sort of "Clearing away all the bodies" debuff for the first few years.