Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Tir McDohl posted:

I thought of another thing I hope is addressed during the camp so I'll bring it up now. I really hope we see good applications of the different ranges in combat. I had a lot of trouble determining how to make them matter/work, especially in Theater of the Mind style play.
I added a note for this to the section on combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

Ilor posted:

I added a note for this to the section on combat.

Thank you! Only have my phone available at the moment and won't be home till late.

Also, after taking everyone's feedback into consideration, We'll go ahead and use Roll20 as our platform. You don't have to have a cam. I think it will just streamline die rolls and such.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 29, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Roll20 works for me! The main issue is people getting used to building their character with the sheets and using them, they’re a little unintuitive.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Sidekick is a pretty solid dicebot for Discord, probably worth having around if you run Discord games.

https://github.com/ArtemGr/Sidekick

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I'm a Luddite who does not have a Roll20 account, but I guess I'll make one.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Honestly, I don’t think I will accept the alternative playbooks again, at least not until I have a better grasp on GMing. From what I can tell, you can’t just let players do whatever the gently caress they want, cause you get bullshit disagreement like that. The alternative playbooks put way too much narrative power in their players’ hands, and as written kinda makes them godmode. Vancian casting and explicit spells are honestly preferable to this.

I think part of the problem is that the players need to be in the mindset of collaborating to tell an interesting story, rather than playing to "win", or advancing their character, or even necessarily doing what's best for their character. If they can make that mindset shift, you can put a heck of a lot of narrative power in the hands of the players (some games don't even have a GM, after all) and still have a good time.

It's not necessarily an easy adjustment to make, let alone coax people into making, though.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
I was going to see if I could watch the GM session, but something has come up. Are you guys planning to record it?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could :sun:

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Yes, I'll be recording it.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Ok, I think I have everything set up. I'll edit this post with the link to join the Roll20 session in a few hours. I'll be in there about 30 minutes prior to 4pm (central time) double checking everything, so if you want to drop in feel free!

Link is here: https://app.roll20.net/join/3465680/fHzGaQ

We'll be starting in about 10 minutes.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 30, 2018

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Ilor posted:

I'm a Luddite who does not have a Roll20 account, but I guess I'll make one.
Turns out I'm not as much of a Luddite as I thought; I already had a Roll20 account.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Hey! I want to thank everyone who dropped by the GM Camp today. Thanks to the GMs and players for putting in all the heavy lifting. I definitely saw some things in play that I had not seen before so that, to me, was a success because I learned some new tactics. Special thanks to Ilos for handling running things while I was having mic problems.

We went a little over time, but I think we delved into some good stuff. I will hopefully have a video link for everyone soon.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Thanks to everyone who participated! That was a lot of fun!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ye! I learned a lot!

Kinda offtopic, but while I've got you guys here: what are some other games I should try playing/running? I know I've got Blades in the Dark and Fellowship to try running, and I also want to try doing Microscope at some point.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Microscope is really fun to do if you use it to flesh out a world, then use a system to play in that world.

And, uh, I have some bad news. Despite the fact that I went live at the start of the game, my video is for some reason only 16 minutes long. Also, on top of that, it has no sound. It's me, the complete failure at life.

Nevermind, it's all there, I just isn't showing me everything on YouTube.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 1, 2018

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Robot, I wanted to expand on something you mentioned about defy danger often being used as a "gate-keeper" move, and that's that often when using a move like DD in a combat situation, I'll often have the DD roll stand in for the attack roll itself. As in, yeah if you do something crazy like roll in on an opponent with a Reach weapon, then maybe your Roll+DEX is sufficient to not only get you close but also inflict damage. That's what I did with Moxie when she used Fizzbit's bear-form distraction to edge in on the bad guy black-bagging Edwyn - she ended up with a knife to his kidneys, and if she'd wanted to just deal damage, I'd have let her because her 10+ roll put her in a good position to do so.

Polyanna, if you're interested in more PbtA stuff, there is no better way to learn than by running Apocalypse World itself.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Overemotional Robot posted:

And, uh, I have some bad news.

Nevermind, it's all there, I just isn't showing me everything on YouTube.

That was a tense 3 minutes.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Ilor posted:

Robot, I wanted to expand on something you mentioned about defy danger often being used as a "gate-keeper" move, and that's that often when using a move like DD in a combat situation, I'll often have the DD roll stand in for the attack roll itself. As in, yeah if you do something crazy like roll in on an opponent with a Reach weapon, then maybe your Roll+DEX is sufficient to not only get you close but also inflict damage. That's what I did with Moxie when she used Fizzbit's bear-form distraction to edge in on the bad guy black-bagging Edwyn - she ended up with a knife to his kidneys, and if she'd wanted to just deal damage, I'd have let her because her 10+ roll put her in a good position to do so.

I knew there was another example earlier on but I couldn't think of it. Yes, this is what I've done in the past too, it's just good to see other ways of doing it/being validated by seeing other people do it the same way.

Subjunctive posted:

That was a tense 3 minutes.

Made even more so by finding out that I was only partly right. There's sound for the first 9 minutes and then complete silence for 3 hours.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thanks, Roll20.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Well, gently caress.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If it helps, I can re-enact my character's state towards the end of the session:

:supaburn:

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

It was something I did with my mic, I'm sure. I feel bad 'cause I promised people there'd be a recording. Maybe, if there's enough interest, I can get my crap together and do another one sometime.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

It was something I did with my mic, I'm sure. I feel bad 'cause I promised people there'd be a recording. Maybe, if there's enough interest, I can get my crap together and do another one sometime.
I'd be happy to GM again.

And as for my character, my state during the whole session went something like: :goonsay:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I took some notes that I can try writing up when I get home. Not much, though.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

I'm currently running a Dungeon World game in the basest sense, completely by the book no house rules or hacks. However, my players, who have played Freebooters on the Frontier, like the weapon system in that better, e.g. the damage die is attached to weapons, not the whole playbook. And, even though they know that could be worse for their character, they'd still like to do it. Is there any immediate problem with just switching that damage system out? My druid was curious about damage in her shapeshift form, but we decided she would always do a d6 until she took advance moves to raise the damage die.

Also unrelated, but someone was curious about getting rid of Vancian magic in this thread and I came across this in my miscellaneous move list (I keep a list of neat moves I see around the Internet):

Magicker - When you spend a few hours meditating on the Mysteries, hold 3 Mana. You can hold a maximum of 3 Mana at a time.

Mana-powered - You can't use this move if you hold 0 Mana.

Committed - You must commit Mana to this move in order to use it. When you commit your Mana to a move, spend 1 Mana and lower the cap on your Mana by 1. When you release committed Mana, the move deactivates and you raise the cap on your Mana by 1.

When you cast a spell, roll+Mana. You can cast spells which cost 0 Mana and hold on to your bonus, or you can cast a few bigger spells and use it all up.

Pretty sure it came from this thread a long, long time ago. Could something like this work for the wizard if you went through and assigned a mana value to spells?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

It cooooould work, but that seems like a lot of work. Honestly, I think you've got a nice start to a new class. The idea of rolling +Mana or spending it for other effects seems pretty compelling on its own. I'd look at the Wizard from Urban Shadows for a sort of similar take on it.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Yeah, that's way more work than I'm willing to take on. If anything it's neat groundwork for a Dungeon World Elder Scrolls (Elder World? World of Scrolls?) thing that I definitely don't want to spend the time putting together.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like the idea of dealing with spells the same way that Blades in the Sark deals with gear and preparedness - you have X amount of slots or weight, and you can fill those as you need them by declaring what you have during play. In this case, you wouldn’t really prepare specific spells - just spell slots.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I like the idea of dealing with spells the same way that Blades in the Sark deals with gear and preparedness - you have X amount of slots or weight, and you can fill those as you need them by declaring what you have during play. In this case, you wouldn’t really prepare specific spells - just spell slots.

Every game should steel Blades in the Dark's gear system for anything even remotely resembling an inventory. Gear, spells, potions, caravans, knowledge, childhood friends, remaining limbs/digits.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Flat damage per weapon works in 95% of other pbtA games. Use that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

I'm sorry your recording setup went south like that. I'd be up for another run. Maybe we could try Discord next time?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I’ve found Discord to be much better than Roll20 for AV.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Yeah, def. Discord next time. It was a bad call for sure, and I'm sorry we did that and don't have anything to show for it. Does anyone have recommendations for a good mic? I heard people talking about them while we were getting ready but was focused on trying to fix my sound issues so wasn't paying attention.

Golden Bee posted:

Flat damage per weapon works in 95% of other pbtA games. Use that.

I am really tempted to do this, but also hesitant because I kind of like rolling for damage? It's such a dumb D&D sacred cow that could be culled, but one that I oddly don't mind. Then again, I also like the Forgotten Realms setting and it's one of the most bloated, bland settings in tabletop history, so... what I'm saying is I have bad ttrpg opinions.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mystara and Ravenloft are cooler IMO :v:

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

I forgot about Mystara... Hmm, yeah now I'm torn.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

I forgot about Mystara... Hmm, yeah now I'm torn.
Dark Sun or bust, baby.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
If you want as good audio as possible you'll also want people to record their mic locally and then remix before publishing, but that's a bit of work and logistics for sure

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Yeah, def. Discord next time. It was a bad call for sure, and I'm sorry we did that and don't have anything to show for it. Does anyone have recommendations for a good mic? I heard people talking about them while we were getting ready but was focused on trying to fix my sound issues so wasn't paying attention.
For a static set up, like for podcasting and so forth, then I'd recommend XLR mics over USB every time. You'll get as good quality for cheaper, or better for the same or slightly more, and you have more control and the ability to upgrade over time. If you get a USB mic, the Blue Yeti is pretty much your top-out, and you can't use most of the accessories if you switch streams. That's one of the big disadvantages of the Blue products and other USB mics - most of them don't fit the standard booms and shock mounts and the Blue specific ones are unreasonably expensive.

Start with getting a Behringer Xenyx 302USB - or the equivalent larger versions if you need more input/outputs. The 302USB runs about $50. There are better mixers out there, but the Behringers are as good at a lower price point, especially since you're still putting it through a USB input in the end. They just have fewer features and don't have the build quality of the higher end stuff.

You do want to get a shock mount, pop-filter, and stand, but honestly even the cheap $25~ combo options for this are more than good enough. I had the Neweer NW-35 (which comes with a cable and shock mount) and it was perfectly acceptable. My only caution on it - and similar ones where you're tightening thumb-screws to keep it in position - is that they will wear out if you're constantly re-positioning them. I had to replace mine and went a little berserk and got a Rode PSA1, which is fantastic but is definitely overkill for anyone starting out. A desk stand is also cheap, coupled with the $13~ pop filter/shock mount combo deals. This part is cheap enough that there's no reason not to grab them. You will also need an XLR cable, most mics don't come with one but a lot of stands and booms will. Even if you have to buy it totally separately it will only run you about $7 for a 10ft cable, which should be good enough for home set ups.

For mics, I have a MXL 770 mic, which I like a lot but is about $75, though it routinely goes on sale on Amazon for closer to $55. It also comes with a shock mount. Something like the Behringer XM8500 which is no-poo poo $20 will work for a starter if you're need to keep costs down, as will the Shure SM48-LC or PGA48-LC for a bit more. This is also where you can really scale up over time - mics run the gamut from the cheap options I mention here to multi-hundred dollar examples, and the improvement across the price range is real. But for a single person, over an internet connection, sitting in front of the mic in a probably fairly quiet room, you don't need the high end stuff to sound good. The jump from $20-30 to the $70 and then to the $100-120 range all are improvements, yes. But even the cheapest set up will already sound better than all but the best headsets and USB mics (which will be way more expensive). And it gives you room to grow over time, if you find a need to.

If you really only have $50 to spend, the Blue Snowball is fine, but I would replace it outright rather than try to accessorize it beyond a pop-filter. The shock mount costs as much as the mic and it doesn't play nice with many stands or booms. A Blue Yeti will run you $130 just for the mic, and it again does not play well with standard shock mounts, though the ones for it run more in the $25 range. Still, you're realistically $150 in, plus another $15 to $20 for pop-filter and a cheap boom, and more like you're in at $200, and if you want to upgrade you still will have to go back and buy a mixer and normal shock mount to go along with an XLR mic.

In contrast, the cheap XLR route, you're in for about $93 ($24 for boom, pop-filter, shock mount, and cable, $49 for mixer, $20 for mic). Go with a better mic and you'll run between $125-$150 - the lower end cheaper than the Blue Yeti all by itself, the upper end not far above and well cheaper than an accessorized Blue Yeti. And if you want to upgrade, you only have to pay for the new mic - you can keep using the same shock-mount, the mixer, cable, etc.

If you're looking for something portable, there's a couple of good headsets out there, I'll go dig out the recommendations I have for that if people want.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 7, 2018

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

That is... awesome! That answered my question and then some. Now to do some research, pick what I want, and hope for some Prime Day deals!

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Comrade Gorbash posted:

For a static set up, like for podcasting and so forth, then I'd recommend XLR mics over USB every time. You'll get as good quality for cheaper, or better for the same or slightly more, and you have more control and the ability to upgrade over time. If you get a USB mic, the Blue Yeti is pretty much your top-out, and you can't use most of the accessories if you switch streams. That's one of the big disadvantages of the Blue products and other USB mics - most of them don't fit the standard booms and shock mounts and the Blue specific ones are unreasonably expensive.

Start with getting a Behringer Xenyx 302USB - or the equivalent larger versions if you need more input/outputs. The 302USB runs about $50. There are better mixers out there, but the Behringers are as good at a lower price point, especially since you're still putting it through a USB input in the end. They just have fewer features and don't have the build quality of the higher end stuff.

You do want to get a shock mount, pop-filter, and stand, but honestly even the cheap $25~ combo options for this are more than good enough. I had the Neweer NW-35 (which comes with a cable and shock mount) and it was perfectly acceptable. My only caution on it - and similar ones where you're tightening thumb-screws to keep it in position - is that they will wear out if you're constantly re-positioning them. I had to replace mine and went a little berserk and got a Rode PSA1, which is fantastic but is definitely overkill for anyone starting out. A desk stand is also cheap, coupled with the $13~ pop filter/shock mount combo deals. This part is cheap enough that there's no reason not to grab them. You will also need an XLR cable, most mics don't come with one but a lot of stands and booms will. Even if you have to buy it totally separately it will only run you about $7 for a 10ft cable, which should be good enough for home set ups.

For mics, I have a MXL 770 mic, which I like a lot but is about $75, though it routinely goes on sale on Amazon for closer to $55. It also comes with a shock mount. Something like the Behringer XM8500 which is no-poo poo $20 will work for a starter if you're need to keep costs down, as will the Shure SM48-LC or PGA48-LC for a bit more. This is also where you can really scale up over time - mics run the gamut from the cheap options I mention here to multi-hundred dollar examples, and the improvement across the price range is real. But for a single person, over an internet connection, sitting in front of the mic in a probably fairly quiet room, you don't need the high end stuff to sound good. The jump from $20-30 to the $70 and then to the $100-120 range all are improvements, yes. But even the cheapest set up will already sound better than all but the best headsets and USB mics (which will be way more expensive). And it gives you room to grow over time, if you find a need to.

If you really only have $50 to spend, the Blue Snowball is fine, but I would replace it outright rather than try to accessorize it beyond a pop-filter. The shock mount costs as much as the mic and it doesn't play nice with many stands or booms. A Blue Yeti will run you $130 just for the mic, and it again does not play well with standard shock mounts, though the ones for it run more in the $25 range. Still, you're realistically $150 in, plus another $15 to $20 for pop-filter and a cheap boom, and more like you're in at $200, and if you want to upgrade you still will have to go back and buy a mixer and normal shock mount to go along with an XLR mic.

In contrast, the cheap XLR route, you're in for about $93 ($24 for boom, pop-filter, shock mount, and cable, $49 for mixer, $20 for mic). Go with a better mic and you'll run between $125-$150 - the lower end cheaper than the Blue Yeti all by itself, the upper end not far above and well cheaper than an accessorized Blue Yeti. And if you want to upgrade, you only have to pay for the new mic - you can keep using the same shock-mount, the mixer, cable, etc.

If you're looking for something portable, there's a couple of good headsets out there, I'll go dig out the recommendations I have for that if people want.
Great advice from Gorbash
If you have headphones already or want to buy a pair of headphones which don't have a mic (which is insultingly common for good headphones) the Antlion ModMic 4 (directional, not omni-directional) is pretty solid. Don't get the 5, it's chunkier and the dual mic is a waste.
As for headphones, Beyerdynamic DT-770 at 80ohms are about the best bang for buck headphones you can get.
These things are great, I've had mine for 6 years and I replaced the pads once for £15 because they were getting a bit dirty. Them with the ModMic is a reasonable price, great quality and portable.

All that said, if you want a desktop mic, ignore all that and listen to Gorbash. Also please note I am not an audiofile, I'm passing on great advice from a friend who is and I've never regretted my purchase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I am indeed looking for something portable!