Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Noctone posted:

Somehow that dipshit Haisley will survive this.

He and HamNo writing about anything other than boxing/mma will be the last two there I'm utterly sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Nolan is really good and also doesn't write for deadspin anymore anyway

I dunno enough about soccer to understand why everyone is always mad at haisley

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

MourningView posted:

Even if you don't know about soccer, he's an insult to basic writing. Does anyone even try to edit his word salads?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

He once wrote a 330-word sentence.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
An MLS player (Collin Martin) has announced he's gay. I imagine we'll be seeing some hot takes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

El Gallinero Gros posted:

An MLS player (Collin Martin) has announced he's gay. I imagine we'll be seeing some hot takes.

The people who would have the hot takes won't notice.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007
I just assumed all soccer players were gay

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MourningView posted:

He’s really negative and condescending about American soccer. A lot of it is warranted of course but he just constantly beats you over the head with it and finds ways to slip it in even when it’s unwarranted.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
can't wait for the world cup so we can prove that guy wro

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't think he's the first.

I will be surprised if we get an active MLB player to come out, even in the next 5 years. That sport's locker room culture is awful. Plus most of the players (the white ones anyway) are conservative as all hell.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

FYI Brazil's right back came out a while ago.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will be surprised if we get an active MLB player to come out, even in the next 5 years. That sport's locker room culture is awful. Plus most of the players (the white ones anyway) are conservative as all hell.

Yeah, Robbie Rogers retired, came out as gay, and unretired a few years ago. He played for the USMNT infrequently, and for the LA Galaxy. He's married to Greg Berlanti, the guy who does all the superhero shows on the WB. (He retired again last year, due to persistent injury)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BWV posted:

FYI Brazil's right back came out a while ago.

heh heh, Fagner

That his actual name, please don't probe me

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

FlamingLiberal posted:

A minor league player did a couple years ago and no one really gave a poo poo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eric the Mauve posted:

Because, as much as it pains me to say this, no one gives a poo poo about the minors.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The true impact will be felt when a megastar comes out while they're still doing big things. It might well take a Lebron level star for it be impactful in a positive, significant way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah i had actually met him once before that. He retired last Spring Training since his minor league career was not going anywhere

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1013831336619069445

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://deadspin.com/gifs-ranked-1827332999

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Apparently there is about to be an absolute bloodbath at The Onion and its sites too.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Apparently there is about to be an absolute bloodbath at The Onion and its sites too.

https://twitter.com/BenMullin/status/1015356829126283264

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Crazy Ted posted:

The story on daily beast was like a 15% cut to The Onion editorial staff

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

howe_sam posted:

The story on daily beast was like a 15% cut to The Onion editorial staff
Ah. That's nowhere near as bad as what was being rumored on Twitter this morning.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If the onion goes away society has failed imo

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

algebra testes posted:

If the onion goes away society has failed imo

Remember in the middle of the dem primaries when they were bought out and immediately stopped dropping bombs on Hillary and started posting "Bernie Bros be so racist" stuff instead (dramatization)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Remember in the middle of the dem primaries when they were bought out and immediately stopped dropping bombs on Hillary and started posting "Bernie Bros be so racist" stuff instead (dramatization)

I think they wrote like two pro-Hillary articles during that time. They also had some straight up conservative leaning stories in the last year. And there’s ResistanceHole now, which is clearly made by extremely online lefties (to the point that some of left twitter accused them of joke theft). It’s always had a wider ranging voice than people think, which is enhanced by the fact that the stories don’t have bylines.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Dejan Bimble posted:

They did, this was legit lovely but recently they have been absolutely savage in ways no media outlet has. Their stuff about ICE and Israel killing protesters is up there with them being the only media outlet to point out that the Iraq War would be a disaster

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Dejan Bimble posted:

they also turned The AV Club from a smart pop-culture site with a thriving comment community into yet another place that obsesses about Marvel movies, being woker than thou, and Game of Thrones. oh yeah and they moved its comments to Kinja.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Troy Queef posted:

they also turned The AV Club from a smart pop-culture site with a thriving comment community into yet another place that obsesses about Marvel movies, being woker than thou, and Game of Thrones. oh yeah and they moved its comments to Kinja.

AV Club was always that way, it's just now there are fewer alternatives on the site because they don't want to pay for coverage of shows without good ratings.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

AV Club used to have great writers and most of them got poached.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I never read AV Club but my understanding is they sucked for years before Univision came along?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Basticle posted:

I never read AV Club but my understanding is they sucked for years before Univision came along?

yea lol it's this

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Basticle posted:

The Dissolve, then Vox snapped up a lot of the AV Club's big names.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I feel like the downturn was when TV completely took over the site, dunno if that was the impetus for people leaving for those other places or just coincidence.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They used to cover everything, now they have like 4 writers to cover the remaining 8 shows that people still care about.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Also Kinja just ruined the loving site. Theres so much in the archives of the AVClub and the old layout kind of compartmentalized and let you go into various silos. Like you could search TV or Film or whatever. Now its just a loving disaster and search sucks.

Secondly, there was for a time a solid roster of film/tv/music writers that I still seek out/listen to on podcasts today. As others noted a lot when to the dissolve RIP.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kinja is one of the most convoluted commenting systems in existence. I honestly think Reddit is easier to read.

Read an article? Want to look at the comments? Okay for now you only get to look at the comments that Gizmodo Media staff are involved in.

Want to look at all comments? Okay so you click the button to see all comments but actually it's just comments that have been approved by other commenters.

Want to actually look at all of the comments? Click again and you finally get to see all of the comments, only 75% of them are in light grey because they haven't been liked enough by regular commenters.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The comment moderation is so harsh because gamergaters and others were flooding gawker/jezebels comments with gore back in the day.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

Kinja is one of the most convoluted commenting systems in existence. I honestly think Reddit is easier to read.

Read an article? Want to look at the comments? Okay for now you only get to look at the comments that Gizmodo Media staff are involved in.

Want to look at all comments? Okay so you click the button to see all comments but actually it's just comments that have been approved by other commenters.

Want to actually look at all of the comments? Click again and you finally get to see all of the comments, only 75% of them are in light grey because they haven't been liked enough by regular commenters.

Reading comments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Why would you want to look at any comments, let alone all the comments?