Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Like if you meet a real one or a fake one in a bar just shut them down with this story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We're beginning to reach a point in housing where homes built in the 50s/60s/70s see very expensive repairs come due and oh boy is that going to be great for a populace that is struggling to meet their mortgage payment

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

EBB posted:

SEAL Team 6 can basically never talk poo poo again.

They can murder the gently caress out of some green berets tho.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/PichayadaCNA/status/1015958623778791424/photo/1

https://twitter.com/ChannelNewsAsia/status/1015961255721332736

Looks like they need more oxygen tanks for the last 8 kids and the coach. But things are still going remarkable well.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

What is that coach’s deal? Taking a bunch of kids in your charge spelunking in a random cave seems like one of the wildest and worst decisions imaginable.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
When they said they selected the kids who got out first on health assessment, that meant they rescued the weakest first, right? They haven't evacuated the healthiest first, writing off the less well off kids, right? :ohdear:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Best Friends posted:

What is that coach’s deal? Taking a bunch of kids in your charge spelunking in a random cave seems like one of the wildest and worst decisions imaginable.

People do retarded team building poo poo all the time. This is just spectacular because it put everyone at risk instead of one or two.

This year or last year there was a high school kid that died because the 10 foot log they were lifting dropped and domed him. Why were they doing this? SEALs.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/meridithmcgraw/status/1015950582547451905?s=19

https://twitter.com/tarapalmeri/status/1015797593366921218?s=19

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

People do retarded team building poo poo all the time. This is just spectacular because it put everyone at risk instead of one or two.

This year or last year there was a high school kid that died because the 10 foot log they were lifting dropped and domed him. Why were they doing this? SEALs.

Only one log? Noobs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Aggie_Bonfire_collapse

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://twitter.com/_sjpeace_/status/1015531237786734592?s=21

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

To counterbalance some of the awfulness, have a Harvey Weinstein perp walk.

https://twitter.com/o_tilli_a/status/999995841942351877?s=21

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
If you want a weirdfuck story, I got it, all merits of boob milk vs formula aside.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/08/health/world-health-breastfeeding-ecuador-trump.html

quote:

A resolution to encourage breast-feeding was expected to be approved quickly and easily by the hundreds of government delegates who gathered this spring in Geneva for the United Nations-affiliated World Health Assembly.

Based on decades of research, the resolution says that mother’s milk is healthiest for children and countries should strive to limit the inaccurate or misleading marketing of breast milk substitutes.

Then the United States delegation, embracing the interests of infant formula manufacturers, upended the deliberations.

American officials sought to water down the resolution by removing language that called on governments to “protect, promote and support breast-feeding” and another passage that called on policymakers to restrict the promotion of food products that many experts say can have deleterious effects on young children.

When that failed, they turned to threats, according to diplomats and government officials who took part in the discussions. Ecuador, which had planned to introduce the measure, was the first to find itself in the cross hairs.

The Americans were blunt: If Ecuador refused to drop the resolution, Washington would unleash punishing trade measures and withdraw crucial military aid. The Ecuadorean government quickly acquiesced.

The showdown over the issue was recounted by more than a dozen participants from several countries, many of whom requested anonymity because they feared retaliation from the United States.

Health advocates scrambled to find another sponsor for the resolution, but at least a dozen countries, most of them poor nations in Africa and Latin America, backed off, citing fears of retaliation, according to officials from Uruguay, Mexico and the United States.
-----
In the end, the Americans’ efforts were mostly unsuccessful. It was the Russians who ultimately stepped in to introduce the measure — and the Americans did not threaten them.
-----
During the deliberations, some American delegates even suggested the United States might cut its contribution the W.H.O., several negotiators said. Washington is the single largest contributor to the health organization, providing $845 million, or roughly 15 percent of its budget, last year.
-----
A Russian delegate said the decision to introduce the breast-feeding resolution was a matter of principle.

“We’re not trying to be a hero here, but we feel that it is wrong when a big country tries to push around some very small countries, especially on an issue that is really important for the rest of the world,” said the delegate, who asked not to be identified because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I never imagined there would be a formula lobby but there you go.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Not only is there a lobby but the industry makes hella $$$ off third world countries and refugee camps where they actively discourage women from breastfeeding.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

EBB posted:

To no one's surprise Nestle is big on this

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Down with Big Formula, up with big boobs!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EBB posted:

Down with Big Formula, up with big boobs!

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Not only is there a lobby but the industry makes hella $$$ off third world countries and refugee camps where they actively discourage women from breastfeeding.

That was such shock to me working in refugee camps, how parents would spend all their rmeagre resources on expensive formula and shutting down our midwives' attempts to at least help them try to breastfeed.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
So I guess they've got 4 kids out, buy they're burning through massive amounts of oxygen so operations have been suspended while they stage more bottles. And it's raining again

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

In some cases, this includes giving a free or heavily discounted supply to mothers that will last long enough to make them stop producing milk, thus making them dependent on formula long term.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

In some cases, this includes giving a free or heavily discounted supply to mothers that will last long enough to make them stop producing milk, thus making them dependent on formula long term.

:capitalism:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EBB posted:

There's a lobby for everything. Dried prunes plums, balloons, even families who own antique ivory pieces.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/04/weird-unusual-lobbying-groups-balloons-prunes-snakes/

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Just saw it on the news, they have indeed evacuated the fittest kids first. Now there's a delay to bring in more oxygen bottles :ohdear:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Torrannor posted:

Just saw it on the news, they have indeed evacuated the fittest kids first. Now there's a delay to bring in more oxygen bottles :ohdear:

It's a loving miracle they got those 4 out. Or I should give credit where credit is due, those guys doing and organising the diving operation are loving amazing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The cynical take is they went for the most viable. The optimistic take is that you get experience and figure out how it will work in practice with the less difficult kids first, so you can improve the process before going for the most challenging rescues.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
They really probably used the healthy ones as guinea pigs. When you are tired/sick/hungry/scared/at depth your O2 usage goes waaaay up.

Now they've got a baseline I'm sure that it was way more than they were expecting and that's why they are short on bottles, because their requirements are only going to get higher from here on out.

I'm super impressed they got anyone out at all.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
With the Chilean miners they did most fit/capable of handling problems, then the weakest, then most mentally fit for last. So let's just say it's a good thing

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Torrannor posted:

Just saw it on the news, they have indeed evacuated the fittest kids first.

That's honestly what I would have assumed would be the best course of action, but I'm repeatedly hearing that it wasnt the fittest, but three of the kids with respiratory issues

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

Torrannor posted:

When they said they selected the kids who got out first on health assessment, that meant they rescued the weakest first, right? They haven't evacuated the healthiest first, writing off the less well off kids, right? :ohdear:

not caring here posted:

They really probably used the healthy ones as guinea pigs. When you are tired/sick/hungry/scared/at depth your O2 usage goes waaaay up.

Now they've got a baseline I'm sure that it was way more than they were expecting and that's why they are short on bottles, because their requirements are only going to get higher from here on out.

I'm super impressed they got anyone out at all.

Yeah taking the healthiest out would be what makes most sense to me. With the Chilean miners, it was a matter of getting them into a cage and hauling their rear end up, why not get the most infirm out.

In this case, these kids are very much active participants in their rescue (or at least that's what it seems like, I've heard something about them considering sedating them and moving them like gear almost with a full face mask but that doesn't sound possible). You'd want to give yourself the highest probability of success by doing an essentially blind run with the fittest/most capable kids first, to figure out where issues with others might come up, how they're going to react, etc.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

egyptian rat race posted:

They'll find a way to cast Mark Wahlberg in it

Kirk Douglas as Elon Musk.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Proud of those goddamn divers jfc

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

egyptian rat race posted:

They'll find a way to cast Mark Wahlberg in it

A lot of the divers are non-Thai volunteers from the cave diving hobby. The two divers who found the kids are British, so...

Edit: apparently the British are the world experts on cave diving rescues :iiam:

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 8, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Smiling Jack posted:

A lot of the divers are non-Thai volunteers from the cave diving hobby. The two divers who found the kids are British, so...

Edit: apparently the British are the world experts on cave diving rescues :iiam:

Mark Wahlberg was on Piers Morgan's show showing off his "dirty" British accent at one point

gently caress.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

mlmp08 posted:

Mark Wahlberg was on Piers Morgan's show showing off his "dirty" British accent at one point

gently caress.

God dammit, him and Berg are totally gonna make a terrible movie about this.

For what it's worth, most people in Boston and the surrounding area loving hated Patriots Day and Mark Walhbergs role in it. Between that and his whole "I'm the biggest Boston sports fan around now excuse me while I leave the super bowl at half-time" has made a ton of locals realize how much he sucks, which was long overdue.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I guarantee that Paramount has agents on the ground in Thailand waiting to option this story as soon as it wraps

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
until you can lay down a track as sick as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO9909uexu8

You can just go on keeping Mark Wahlbergs name out of your dumbass mouth!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

mods change my name posted:

:In an extremely southie voice:

Suck my dick from the back ya fuckin townie.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Handsome Ralph posted:

:In an extremely southie voice:

Suck my dick from the back ya fuckin townie.

square up you beantown felon

whalburger deez nuts

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

mods change my name posted:

Please rename yourself to Olds Cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

EBB posted:

Proud Christian Mom posted:

To no one's surprise Nestle is big on this

This included, but was not limited to, having Nestle saleswomen dress as nurses in developing countries, to then try and convince new mothers that baby formula was an indispensable medical necessity.

• Locked thread